Home
Posted By: Ringman Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
My wife is not going for the older truck restored. So, can anyone tell me what is a great gas mileage 4X4 like a Rav 4 or Subaru that gets maybe 35 mile per gallon?
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
I think 35mpg is higher than you can get. Even the the new crossovers don't get near that.
Posted By: Rodngun Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
I drive a F150 supercrew 4x4 and it gets 18 mpg and I thought that was great .But you can tell when I hit the beach or hook up my camper to it and then you can literally watch the needle drop to empty..But all my 4x4 have been that way .,god luck finding anything in the 35 mpg range ..Ranger - small p/u maybe.???
Posted By: rattler Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
a used 4x4 will generally wind up saving yah more than buying a new one with higher MPG.......my 95 Cherokee gets in the high teens-low 20's but it only cost me $5,000 8 years ago......what i didnt pay for a more expensive vehicle payed for alot of gas......its also one heck of a solid vehicle.....ive put near 50,000 miles on it(its just under 100,000 now) and havent had to do anything but standard maintenance...hell it starts up on -40 days better than the 2006 Chevy Silverado the shop has.....now its only worth about $1600 or so but its payed off, insurance doesnt cost much, and it runs without a problem...buying something that gets better gas mileage makes no sense to me.....
Posted By: noKnees Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
Depending on your pattern of use, maybe keeping the older truck for towing, hauling and hunting and then a little car to scoot around in might be the deal

In upstate NY, the registration and liability Ins is cheap on a second car (maybe $300 a year) So I keep my old jeep for boat towing and hunting and put miles on a cheaper car the rest of the time. Depends on how much you need a 4x4 and what Oregon is going to cost you for an extra vehicle.
Based soley on mpg, our Cummins are best - many hit 23mpg with standard transmissions. The Duramax's hang right there as well.

I had a 'Yota with an R22 that would get mid-twenties, but was just a get-arounder, you couldn't pull the hat off your head, and a set of golf clubs in the box pointed the low beams skyward. It was a good great runner though.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
The Toyota RAV4 or Honda CRV will only get you about 27 mpg highway. About the only 4x4 that will get over 30 is a 2005 or 2006 jeep liberty diesel, but you have to have to ECM reprogrammed to kill some of the emissions stuff to get there.
Posted By: Teal Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
Had the same yota - got 28 with a cap on it and me rowing the gears. Newer one is in the low 20's
I took a *quick* look online and could find all-wheel drive, but not four-wheel drive around 30mpg in an SUV.

Hyundai Tuscon
GMC/Chev Terrain/Traverse
Ford Escape

They're all hybrids. For trucks, high teens is more likely. Although, Mahindra is introducing a compact diesel pickup, so maybe being diesel it'll get decent mileage.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
Originally Posted by Ringman
My wife is not going for the older truck restored. So, can anyone tell me what is a great gas mileage 4X4 like a Rav 4 or Subaru that gets maybe 35 mile per gallon?

There is no such thing Ringman. Only relatively so. I've driven Chevys/GMC's for a long time now. Full-size and usually and SUV or X Cab pickup. Right now we have Yukon and a Sierra half-ton x cab. Both get 15-18 mpg. Both 4x4. That's pretty good given the full-size. You can go to a small pickup, but won't gain much. A Ranger or Explorer will get about the same mileage as the full-size GM's. Ford full-size trucks do a couple mpg's worse. A Trailblazer might get you 1 mpg better. Dodge-I don't know for sure about but would guess might split the difference between Ford and GM. Don't look for relief from Toyota. They're about the same. Any small truck with a decent engine and any room at all simply does no better than the better big ones. A 4 cylinder regular cab might get 20. I doubt it though. If you go to the very smallest SUV's, like the Ford Escape, you probably can get 20 or 21, but they are significantly smaller than even an Explorer.

You can do a bit better by going to a Hybrid. You might get 23 mpg with the right one. Full-size Chevy Tahoe 4x4 Hybrids supposedly will hit 20. That's maybe a couple better than the non-hybrid.

I've looked. It's just a hard-row-to-hoe. A full-size Diesel might be the answer, but what you might gain in fuel economy would be spent in the extra cost of the fuel itself.
Posted By: T3hk1w1 Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
What exactly do you mean by 4x4? Something that will occaisionally see dirt, or something that gets serious use? Subaru makes great, fuel-efficient vehicles, but I wouldn't use them for anything real serious.
From what I've seen, as off-road ability goes up, gas mileage drops. The older compact toyota pickups have good mileage (stock) and will go just about anywhere. The Jeep cherokee is my personal vehicle of choice, but don't expect to get more than 22MPG, if you're lucky.

diesel pickups get good mileage but are heavy and too long to fit in some places.
My new CRV is struggling to make 20mpg frown

I'm told it will improve with time.
Had the same yota - got 28 with a cap on it and me rowing the gears. Newer one is in the low 20's

What's the newer one got for a motor?
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10

phsssss....

My fiance has a 2007 Honda CRV--4 cylinder, decent power, got 22-23 MPG on a ski trip up the hill this past weekend.

35 MPG ain't gonna happen with a SUV or truck...........not even 30 mpg........

Casey

Posted By: SnowHunter Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
Get somethin like a CRV or SUV and put a 4 or 6cly diesel in it grin

Seen a Suzuki Samauri with a 4cyl diesel, dang thing for 40mpg!
Posted By: T3hk1w1 Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
Also, be aware that some newer AWD (not 4WD) vehicles, such as the CRV and RAV4 do not have a low range in the transfer case.
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
I have heard nothing but good about the Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner platform. My dad owns an Escape and can manage 26mpg if behaving. They now have a 240 hp v6 and maintain the same fuel economy. Not bad considering that the late 80's early 90's Ford Bronco squeaked out 185 hp out of a 302 v8 and got maybe 16mpg. So far only thing with better mileage was a home made Jeep Wrangler with a VW turbo diesel four cylinder in it that a buddy of mine built. 40 mpg with Jeep gears. Good luck finding a VW turbo diesel four cylinder though.......
Suzuki samari with VW TDI transplant.

Other than that, maybe a 4cyl jeep will get in the low 20's.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
What Cole said.

Wife and I both have GM 4x4's, hers an 07 Crew, mine an 03 ext-cab, both are 15-18 depending on driving mix, have hit 19/20 in rare rare instances, checked by hand, not computer. Also have an 01 Civic, 5 speed manual, it only gets 36 around here, long trips have seen 42.

My thoughts are the small SUV's/trucks don't gain you but a couple mpg and you lose too much in space for the cost. Would rather have a quality car for driving around and mileage and keep a truck for hunting. Personally Ill pay at the pump for the added comfort and size that a fullsize truck gives me.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
If you can find one of the diesel Liberties and get a shop to work with you, that's about your only chance in a 4x4. The Cummins around here are getting about what he Duramax and the Fords are getting...
Originally Posted by Cheesy

My thoughts are the small SUV's/trucks don't gain you but a couple mpg and you lose too much in space for the cost. Would rather have a quality car for driving around and mileage and keep a truck for hunting. Personally Ill pay at the pump for the added comfort and size that a fullsize truck gives me.

So true--I about had a cow when I saw how lousy the mpg of V-6 small trucks........

Casey
Originally Posted by Mako25

Geezuz--and you're at sea level.........hate to see what happens at 8000 ft.........

Casey
Posted By: Otter Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
As others have said, you'll be doing good to get 25 mpg in a true 4x4. I have a 2000 Chevy S10 extended cab 4x4 PU with a shell and if the wind is behind me I can get 23 mpg on the highway (4.3L V-6 auto). Wife drives a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer 4x4 and can manage 23 or 24 mpg on the highway (4.3L inline-6 auto). 20 mpg is a more reasonable goal for a 4x4.
Posted By: wallaby Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
I've been driving an 85 subaru for the last 3 and a half years. It has high and low range. I have stuck it once. High centered in snow. I've actually taken it off road once. Drove it up through the trees to get to a different road. Not counting regular upkeep and tires I got less than 1000.00 in it. Still getting 28mpg. If your just taking it on logging roads it'll do just fine. You can even go some places the big 4x4 trucks can't.

I came up on a 4x4 dodge stopped at a windfall tree. They couldn't get around it. I drove down into the ditch and got under it though.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Personally Ill pay at the pump for the added comfort and size that a fullsize truck gives me.

And added safety.
I don't like driving small vehicles.
Geezuz--and you're at sea level.........

Actually I'm pretty tall - 6'4". grin

The CRV was my middle finger to Government Motors, I don't know if I regret it yet or not. It's neat to drive, scoots around like it's posessed, but the fuel economy hasn't been all that great - yet.
I don't like driving small vehicles.

Thirty-some years ago, if it didn't have a fullsized backseat - I wouldn't own it. Now I want a console shift.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
Don't know of any true (hi/low range) 4x4 vehicles with gas engines that will get 35mpg.

Maybe one of the small, all-wheel drive sedans/suvs might do it.

Last Spring I bought a used 2003 Chevrolet Tracker (Suzuki), auto. trans., 4dr., 4cyl. 4x4 w/hi-low range transfer case that, so far, has been averaging 24-27mpg. town/highway driving.

I've read of some owners of the little 2 dr 4 cyl. std. trans., 4x4 Trackers claiming to get 30mpg on the highway from theirs.
Posted By: NathanL Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
My truck gets 15mpg is that close enough? Lol. Actually it got 19mpg highway when new till I leveled up the front end, took the air dam off, hang a couple hundred pound grille guard and then a winch on the front, and added larger tires.

For whatever reason that kinda killed my mileage lol. Picking up the front end dropped the most mileage off, which is why I guess all new 4wd trucks come so nose down.

Oh it gets 99mpg according to the instant mileage computer - if you can find a way to drive down a pretty steep hill 100% of the time you'll have it made.
Posted By: levrluvr Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10

Subarus are great little 4x4's, and they've had it perfected for decades. Getting one to do over 30mpg is a stretch, for any model. None of the mini crossovers will come close except for the Ford hybrid.
Do you absolutely need a 4x4? The new Jetta TDI SportsWagon has a lot of room in it and will get over 40 mpg's. It's front wheel drive, and they go like crazy in the snow, especially if you equip them with a set of Blizzak tires for the winter. I drove one for years 150 miles round trip to work, in and out of Chicago, and there were days that I swore I would have needed a 4x4 to get there and back. The VW took me in and out no problem on those days. I also drove it up to our place in northeast Ontario in the winter several times to do some ice fishing, and a few of those trips had horrible weather. It did just fine.
They also have one of the best safety ratings available on any car you can buy; more airbags than you count. The VW wagons are still built in Wulfsburg, and the quality is outstanding for the price. Just throwing out an option.....
Jim
Posted By: funshooter Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
I had a 2003 F250 Diesel 2 X 4 that averaged 20 mpg broke down constantly. I now have a 2006 F350 long crew cab 4 X 4 it averages 16.5 mpg I guess I did not learn my lesson on the first one.
The Subaru would make a pretty decent "Momma's car" and get decent mileage.

But real SUV's, like the guys said, you are going to be lucky to hit the high twenties for mpg and then only if you stay away from the V-6 engines.

A buddy had a Toyota V-6, 5 spd, 4X4 pickup. He sold it because it used just as much fuel as his 02 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 with the 6.0 V-8. And my 96 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 with a 5.7 Vortech uses less fuel than my Toyota 4 Runner V-6 with a brand new engine and tune up.

My cousin has one of the GMC Canyon mid size pickups with the inline five cylinder. It gets pretty decent mpg and has power up the wazoo. Her's is the double cab with four doors and does not make a bad family vehicle, although the four and a half foot box on the back is fairly useless.

I have been looking at the HP and torque ratings, tow capacities, and mpg of the Canyon with the new larger I-4. I would definitely consider one to haul the grandkids and my little Lund boat down to the local fishing hole.

I would only have to make sure the truck was built before 09, before Obama bought the company.
Posted By: tkinak Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
The Chevy Equinox/ GMC Terrain is supposed to have the best Hwy mileage of any compact SUV. You'll have to go hybrid if you want good city mileage.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Chevrolet_Equinox/

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/GMC_Terrain/

Edit: PS I have a Tribute/Escape and would not buy another one. 17MPG average and struts gone at 40K.
Our AWD rav 4 has gotten 29 mpg highway in the past.But you cant fit a rifle in the back without folding up the rear seats.
No low range,in fact,no way to shift the AWD system at all.
My new Tacoma access cab 2wd gets over 25mpg highway with the 4 cylinder auto.The regular cab /manual 2wd I had got 27 mpg on the highway
Posted By: wildbill59 Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
Originally Posted by NathanL
My truck gets 15mpg is that close enough? Lol. Actually it got 19mpg highway when new till I leveled up the front end, took the air dam off, hang a couple hundred pound grille guard and then a winch on the front, and added larger tires.

For whatever reason that kinda killed my mileage lol. Picking up the front end dropped the most mileage off, which is why I guess all new 4wd trucks come so nose down.

[Linked Image]
Same here. Add a 3/16ths bumper and full underbody plates, bigger tires and a lift and if I drive like Ganny I'll get 17 on the road.
Hitting a deer and turning it into instant sausage, priceless.
about 280hp w/ low range. Punch it and it goes. I'm happy
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
Y'all need bigger gallons of gas and your mileage will improve. Go back to the imperial gallon, and your mileage will increase automatically by 25%. laugh
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
my 1988 4Runner gives me 20 mpg around town, 27 on the road, and as near as I can figure, about 12 when in the woods, and using the 4X4 option in mud and sand.
I think 30+ mpg in a 4wd (Hi/Lo transfer case) is probably not doable. My Nissan pickup with the king cab, V-6, 5speed, and a camper shell gets around 20 mpg for general driving and about 22-23 mpg on the interstate.

My dad has a Chevy (Suzuki) Tracker that gets about 28 MPG but its awfully small especially if you are a big fellow like me.
Posted By: bender Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
Had a Suzuki Samuri that got 32. You couldn't pull a nightcrawler out of it's hole with it though.....
Originally Posted by brinky72
I have heard nothing but good about the Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner platform. My dad owns an Escape and can manage 26mpg if behaving. They now have a 240 hp v6 and maintain the same fuel economy. Not bad considering that the late 80's early 90's Ford Bronco squeaked out 185 hp out of a 302 v8 and got maybe 16mpg. So far only thing with better mileage was a home made Jeep Wrangler with a VW turbo diesel four cylinder in it that a buddy of mine built. 40 mpg with Jeep gears. Good luck finding a VW turbo diesel four cylinder though.......

Wish I could say the same about my 5.4

It sucks gas like a Camel - but only when dragging somethin behind me.My airboat weighs more than my camper - but I get better mpg when I pull the airboat than the camper ..have not figured that one out yet..
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10

My tacoma Dual Cab 4x4 gets 18' and if I'm driving below 63 MPH that can go up to 20, but cross the 63 line and it's back to 18 again.

Spot
dude that avatar cracks me up! grin

Originally Posted by Rodngun

It sucks gas like a Camel - but only when dragging somethin behind me.My airboat weighs more than my camper - but I get better mpg when I pull the airboat than the camper ..have not figured that one out yet..

camper displacing more air? Kind of like pulling a drag chute?

That would be my guess, pulling big boxy square things can just kill ya, even if it's an empty box.

Dave : I could understand that if it was a 5th wheel or something - but its just a jacked up off road version Starcraft.

Attached picture Gibbons 24.JPG
Posted By: 2Bimmers Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
I'm not adding anything new here, but I don't think 30 mpg with a true 4X4 is possible and any AWD vehicle probably won't do it either.

My hunting rig is a late 90s s-10 4X4 and it will only do right around 20. For daily driving I use an X5 AWD model and it will do 23 at best. Keep in mind for BMWs they "require" premium fuel. A BMW X3 awd might get close to 30 mpg, but I'm not certain of that either. That' the only real option I could think of that nobody else has mentioned.
Posted By: Wildlife Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
Originally Posted by Mako25

Dealer tell you that? Heard that line before.

I've had Ford and Chevy 4x4 Crew and Extended cabs. Ford got 14-16 in town and 16-18 highway, Chevy slightly worse. Neither put together very well.
Posted By: JD338 Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
FWIW, I have a Chevy Trail Blazer MY '04 with an I6 cyl that has 178K miles. Last week I checked my gas mileage and the old girl was getting 20.7 miles highway.

My GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L MY '05 has 45K miles and gets 14 MPG if I keep her at 65 mph. Pulling the camper or horde trailer is 10.0-10.5 MPG.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
JD338
Posted By: Berettaman Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
I have a Ford Super Duty CC with a V-10 and I dont think it belongs in this conversation grin. I do know someone with a Ford Escape Hybrid and they get low 30s in town and upper 20s overall. I verified that when I was driving with her and it seemed legit if you believe the computer mileage indicator.

I am also one that will sacrifice some mileage for safety. My cousin thinks the same way and about 2 years ago, we discussed this very thing. He said, my family matters more to me than mileage. Exactly 1 week later his wife and kids were T-boned at an intersection in their Ford Crew Cab. They walked away without a scratch. I saw the damage and "Wow" is all I can say. I would not have wanted to be in that accident in a Subaru or a CRV, I will tell you that.
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
Buy a runner and keep your gas hog truck for the real work. High MPG's in a true 4X4 is not a doable thing yet. Unfortunately I was plagued by the same dilemma. I wanted a 4X4 for hunting and needed good mileage to make a 500 mile journey once a month. Bought a VW Golf TDI and a beater truck. Just sold the VW for 7k with 140,000, bad tires and marginal brakes and a dented rear gate. I had five people lined up with cash in hand. And that was within four hours of posting it. So if you find one your doing good and you won't have a hard time reselling it.
Posted By: levrluvr Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
Originally Posted by brinky72
Bought a VW Golf TDI and a beater truck. Just sold the VW for 7k with 140,000, bad tires and marginal brakes and a dented rear gate. I had five people lined up with cash in hand. And that was within four hours of posting it. So if you find one your doing good and you won't have a hard time reselling it.

I experienced the same when I sold mine, however it was sold with about half the mileage, no damage and new tires and brakes. I put it on Autotrader and had 10 calls in the first hour. The first two were from Seattle and Bangor, Maine. The third was a fellow from Milwaukee that said he would bring cash, didn't even try to bargain down on the price. I had clear title, he drove it away day one. A TDI is the easiest thing to sell around.
I agree- get a good 4x4 that is mechanically sound, has a good rep for staying that way, and gets mileage you can stomach. Get a TDI wagon for everything else. They're incredible.
Originally Posted by JD338
FWIW, I have a Chevy Trail Blazer MY '04 with an I6 cyl that has 178K miles. Last week I checked my gas mileage and the old girl was getting 20.7 miles highway.

My GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L MY '05 has 45K miles and gets 14 MPG if I keep her at 65 mph. Pulling the camper or horde trailer is 10.0-10.5 MPG.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
JD338

You got my attention on that one JD..for just a split second I thought it said hore trailer..LOLLL
Posted By: Blueboat Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/23/10
In 2004 we got the wife a RAV it was a 4 cylinder 4 wheel drive; it had a 5 star crash rating which was important to me. We really liked the car, lots of room for a car that size and no problem going 80 mph if we were on a trip. I think we got about 23 to 26 mpg.

Mike
Posted By: Bootsfishing Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/24/10
Subaru is supposed to be bringing this year one of their diesel 4X4 that claims to get 45 - 50-mpg. Can't remember which one. I think it's either outback or legacy ...
It will only be offered first in manual trans only.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0801_subaru_boxer_turbodiesel_first_drive/index.html
Posted By: John_G Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/24/10
A Ford Escape Hybrid ought to get pretty good mileage.
Posted By: shootem Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/24/10
'87 Chevy SWB 4 WhlDrive. 350 fuel injected, standard trans, limited slip rear end. 11 mpg coasting downhill with the motor off but "paid for" buys a lot of gas. Used it last week to pull a couple of pine trees down. Do that with your hybrid.
Posted By: bender Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/24/10
grin
Posted By: Idared Re: Good gas mileage 4X4? - 03/24/10
Man I thought those 380 ponies in my 2007 Tundra were thirsty, but it makes me feel better when I hear 15-18 MPG from other folks. That's close to my range also although I can't remember cracking the 18 mark yet.

I drove a 1994 Isuzu short box 4X4, with a 2.6 4 cylinder and 5 speed, for about 14 years and I don't remember ever getting over 24 MPG with it. I'll put up with the lower economy for a bigger and more comfortable rig to drive.
© 24hourcampfire