Home
Posted By: JRaw iPhone GPS - 03/29/10
I need a new cellphone and I'm thinking about getting an iPhone.

So how good is the GPS function? Will it replace my GPS? Does it need cell service to work or can you use the GPS (or associated apps) in areas with no cell coverage)?

I mostly use GPS to get to/from the truck/camp. I have not used GPS in conjunction with mapping functions.

Thank!
Posted By: oldman1942 Re: iPhone GPS - 03/29/10
It works fine IF you have a cell signal.
Posted By: Colo_Wolf Re: iPhone GPS - 03/29/10
Location Services

GPS (Global Positioning System) technology uses information from earth-orbiting satellites to find locations. A-GPS (Assisted GPS) on iPhone 3GS goes a step further, finding the closest satellites to more quickly identify your position. If you�re not within a clear line of sight to a GPS satellite, iPhone finds you via Wi-Fi. If you�re not in range of a Wi-Fi hotspot, iPhone finds you using cellular towers. The size of a location circle tells you how accurately iPhone is able to calculate that location: The smaller the circle, the more accurate the location. iPhone also offers a built-in digital compass that automatically repositions maps to match the direction you�re facing.1

http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3gs/high-technology.html
Posted By: akpls Re: iPhone GPS - 03/29/10
The GPS on the Blackberries we have works great. When I overlay my GPS derived position on the aerial photo from Google Maps it shows me in the right spot.....down to the individual parking space at my office. I'm assuming that it would be equivalent on the iPhone.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: iPhone GPS - 03/29/10
I have MotionX GPS for my iPhone. Best $2.99 (or whatever it was) GPS I've ever bought! smile

That said, I don't consider it a "serious" GPS; it won't reliably lock onto satellites in situations where my Magellan would, easily.

Still pretty cool though.
Posted By: prowannabe Re: iPhone GPS - 03/29/10
will microsoft exchange server work on an iphone? it does on my blackberry but it's about to die and I'm ready to switch. how good is the email function on iphone?
My iPhone just links to my Gmail account and works most excellently. In fact, the bulk of the posting I do here is straight from my iPhone.

I don't know what microsoft exchange server is, sorry!
Posted By: Wildlife Re: iPhone GPS - 03/29/10
Originally Posted by prowannabe
will microsoft exchange server work on an iphone? it does on my blackberry but it's about to die and I'm ready to switch. how good is the email function on iphone?

I preferred the maps/gps function on my old BB over what comes with the iPhone.

That said there are a bunch of GPS apps out there you can consider. I downloaded Trails and Spyglass to my iPhone only to discover that they are terrible battery hogs and make the phone get really hot. Other than that they work pretty much like a 'real' gps - maps, trails and waypoints. At least the Trails app does, haven't really done much with the other.
Good point. I suspect that MotionX would kill the battery in just a few hours if it was "on" the whole time.
Posted By: Jerryv Re: iPhone GPS - 03/29/10
Originally Posted by prowannabe

I work with a couple of people that have iphones and they will not connect to our exchange server. They have to forward their mail to a yahoo or gmail account and get it from there. Your IT person should be able to set up your account to forward automatically. I think the GPS function will get your location without cell service, but you won't have the map data.

Jerry
Posted By: denton Re: iPhone GPS - 03/29/10
I have the iPhone and I have a Garmin GPS.

The receiver in the Garmin is much more sensitive, and the position seems to be a fair bit more accurate.

My particular Garmin is programmed for people who go stomping around in the hills.

The iPhone downloads maps or satellite views with roads and gives directions from one place to another. You can type in "gasoline" or "pizza" and it will find you those establishments near you, and guide you to them. Their address and telephone number pops up at the same time, and you can dial them just by tapping.

I use the iPhone a lot more than the Garmin, because usually I'm flying into a strange town after dark, and just need to find my bed, my dinner, and my work the next morning. The iPhone works great for that, and it's one less item to carry.
© 24hourcampfire