[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Coincidence:

Yesterday I was cleaning up a storage area where the cat knocked down some boxes. What I found was a "Rick O'Shay Reading Kit" I had rescued from an elementary school waste basket about 30 years ago and had forgotten about.

It is about the size of a shoe box. Inside there were several section. One was 4 panels, then a question about what you think would happen next. Another was 4 panels with some words missing, and a list of words to choose from. And one was a collection of envelopes with about a 20 panel story, cut into individual panels, to be arranged in order. I got distracted repairing the kit box but there may have been more to it.

I don't remember enough about the original strip to recognize any stories, but from what I saw of the kit, it would certainly not be PC enough for a modern school system.

Bruce

Montanan Stan Lynde drew one of cartooning's all-time best series. He was (is?) also a Christian and didn't shrink from letting Rick O'Shay and even Hipshot reveal that fact in "Rick O'Shay."
Hipshot's cat was featured in several strips, too.

[Linked Image]

Hipshot was my hero, now ya know why I like cats! smile smile smile
That's a cool comic.
Man; haven't seen a "Rick O'Shay strip in a looooong time! Yeah, Hipshot was great, even after some of his nights on the town. Great comic strip. Thanks for the memory T LEE. Tom
Saw Stan a couple of weeks ago, older but looking good.
Wish he would revive Rick 'O Shay, one of the greatest strips ever IMHO
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Montanan Stan Lynde drew one of cartooning's all-time best series. He was (is?) also a Christian and didn't shrink from letting Rick O'Shay and even Hipshot reveal that fact in "Rick O'Shay."

From his website - http://www.oldmontana.com/prints.html

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I have a whole bunch of the color Sunday strips at home that I cut out and saved as a kid. It was the coolest comic when I was in my teens. Wouldn't sell in the ultra cool politically correct current papers but for a hunting obsessed country kid Hipshot was John Wayne with an intellect. Thanks for bringing this up!
Originally Posted by T LEE
Wish he would revive Rick 'O Shay, one of the greatest strips ever IMHO

Stan is pretty much retired and doing good works. I don't think he's doing any cartoon work right now. I saw him at a fundraiser for our Irish dance school.
Dang shame, he is one smart man and full of common sense.
In the old comics Hipshot didn't cut em any slack. When I was kid we didn't get Rick O'Shay in our paper but my grandfather would cut out the Sunday comic and send it to me every week. I kept them all. One of my favorites was when a young up-and-comer called Hipshot out. Hip had a shot glass of whisky and he tossed it up about a foot in the air, drew his pistol, fired it, holstered it, caught the shot glass on the way down, and took a sip as the pup walked away shaking.

Alan

Thanks to T. Lee and joken2 for these posts. I used the Easter Service story from Stan Lynde's work as an example of faith for my sons, it brought back some good memories, thanks again, stevek
I e-mailed Stan off of his web site and he replied. You can have direct contact with the MASTER. A wonderful man forsure!
Originally Posted by rifletom
Man; haven't seen a "Rick O'Shay strip in a looooong time! Yeah, Hipshot was great, even after some of his nights on the town. Great comic strip. Thanks for the memory T LEE. Tom

+10,000 grin Haven't see one of these strips in 40 years!!!! Thanks for the memories !

Kaywoodie
© 24hourcampfire