Home
Posted By: DARBY Alternative to NASCAR - 06/12/10
For those out there slightly bored with the low-tech roundy-round wreck 'em bumper cars, tune in SpeedTV and watch the 24 Hours of Le Mans spectacle. The fastest rigs are diesels (!!) - high-tech diesels, but still...

If someone insists overhead valve truck motors are the top of the racing food chain, there are as always plenty of fast Corvettes running at the head of their pack.

Perhaps if you watch long enough there will be some good interest-holding wrecks -- hey, there might even be some childish ego-driven fights!! Tune in now grin grin grin

Posted By: 340boy Re: Alternative to NASCAR - 06/12/10
Joe,
I would take Le Mans over Nastycar for sure.
grin
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Alternative to NASCAR - 06/12/10
Don't need either. I have I-15.
"The Mormon 500."
grin
Posted By: HunterJim Re: Alternative to NASCAR - 06/12/10
I like the Indy Racing League for fun at over 200 mph. Their engines are really something. Watch for new engine and chassis specs for 2012...jim
Posted By: Teal Re: Alternative to NASCAR - 06/12/10
My alternative tends to be TORC off road or CORR or SNORE or SCORE - any type of good off road racing.

I also enjoy the Le Mans type of racing. Amazing watching some Ferrari going all out and get passed like nothing by another class of car.

Can't get into Indy type stuff.
Posted By: byc Re: Alternative to NASCAR - 06/12/10
I'll watch anything with a motor in or on it. Especially in a competition setting. My very favorite is the Baja 500. That stuff out there is just downright silly sick!!
Posted By: T LEE Re: Alternative to NASCAR - 06/12/10
Originally Posted by byc
I'll watch anything with a motor in or on it. Especially in a competition setting. My very favorite is the Baja 500. That stuff out there is just downright silly sick!!

Yep, the Baja 500 is by far the best of racing in my world.
Love Baja - locally we do short course stuff with the same equipment.

It's the only racing I'd ever consider taking vacation to go see. Bark River is my home track. I've helped build this place, my family is from there, it's where I do all of my hunting. I made every race between 78 and 2001. Missed 2002-2006 and made everyone since.

Luke Johnson is Ricky Johnson's kid. Yeah, that RJ...

Posted By: derby_dude Re: Alternative to NASCAR - 06/12/10
Honda has the contract for Indy cars. The engines are leased for a certain number of hours. After all the races the engines go back to Honda for re-evaluation and re-build if possible. No wonder my little 4 goes like a raped ape.
Dirt track racing in a pick up truck. grin
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Dirt track racing in a pick up truck. grin

Yep and it's serious money. Lots of these guys are running engines from Nascar builders. Guys like Jack Roush. 900 hp. I know for a fact that one Toyota team was running R&D motors for TRD's Nascar guys. The engines take a pounding - lots of RPM swings.

All the top dogs have tractor trailer rigs - some more than 1.
I'm thinking about picking up one of these little newer scoot about town cars. I rode in my buds VW (not a bug) and that thing got around like a super fast go kart. Seems Honda, Mazda, VW, Toyota and even Dodge and others have put some scoot, power and decent handling into their newer smaller compact models.
That BAJA stuff does look like a blast.
I have always wanted to take a car out on a road course.
Only thing I have done(with a car) was autocrossing with my old M3.
That was kinda fun.
Originally Posted by 340boy
That BAJA stuff does look like a blast.
I have always wanted to take a car out on a road course.
Only thing I have done(with a car) was autocrossing with my old M3.
That was kinda fun.

I've been to a couple and actually had the chance to tag along with one of the Super Truck teams. The race is a blast BUT the locals are just NUTS!!! I sure learned to appreciate Tecates Beer.

I'd also like to go to Dakar before I kick.
Posted By: levrluvr Re: Alternative to NASCAR - 06/12/10
I've never been into the auto racing too much, but have always preferred the open-wheelers. My true passion has always been on the water, whether it be Offshore (my favorite) or Unlimited Hydroplane. Offshore is as tough as racing gets; no stopping because Mommy Nature got pissed for the day. Triple 1500 hp supercharged 572cid's, Speedmaster 6 drives, a wheelman, a throttleman, and a navigator, and an exhaust note like no other... That's racing.....

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by levrluvr
I've never been into the auto racing too much, but have always preferred the open-wheelers. My true passion has always been on the water, whether it be Offshore (my favorite) or Unlimited Hydroplane. Offshore is as tough as racing gets; no stopping because Mommy Nature got pissed for the day. Triple 1500 hp supercharged 572cid's, Speedmaster 6 drives, a wheelman, a throttleman, and a navigator, and an exhaust note like no other... That's racing.....

[Linked Image]

Been to a bunch of those. Radical for sure! Pretty cool the way some of the teams have choppers to watch for obstructions like manatee. The Popeye's team always had the complete package and the bucks.
What's the top speed on an off shore rig like that?
Posted By: 338Federal Re: Alternative to NASCAR - 06/12/10
4-500mph!
4-500 MPH on the water!!!!!!!!! shocked

HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! eek
Half the time they're not even in the water.
v-hulls (40'+), usually around 145 mph top speed, obviously not quite so fast traveling in 8 foot seas.
the big cats (usually 42-46' in open-class) up to 200mph.
Most are piston, however the turbines are running open class as well.

Unlimited Hydroplanes (turbines- Lycoming T-57 turboshafts; same as Chinook helicopter) 250mph+

Posted By: 338Federal Re: Alternative to NASCAR - 06/12/10
...up to 200mph? Well, I guess that's between 4mph and 500mph, somewhere.
v-hulls (40'+), usually around 145 mph top speed, obviously not quite so fast traveling in 8 foot seas.
the big cats (usually 42-46' in open-class) up to 200mph.
Most are piston, however the turbines are running open class as well.

Unlimited Hydroplanes (turbines- Lycoming T-57 turboshafts; same as Chinook helicopter) 250mph+

Thanks that makes more sense.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Don't need either. I have I-15.

I having driven I-15 in Utah once while pulling a boat, I agree. Our portion of I-15 is more sedate.
Unlimiteds- Detroit Gold Cup. During the glory years of the Cup, this used to be the largest single-day attendance event in all of sports. They've been racing there for a century.
Gotta love the roostertails; we always sit in the 'Roostertail Turn'- these guys come into this turn in turbine-powered hydroplanes flat out at well over 200+

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DARBY Re: Alternative to NASCAR - 06/12/10
Might believe 200 mph for an offshore rig - the rigs that are purpose-built for top speed on water barely get past 300 mph.

Anyone ever see the Ferrari offshore rig - ? - special trailer for carting it around on public roads -- two blown 12-bangers making 1500 hp each.

I saw a major offshore race in the early '70s - the Hennesey Cup IIRC - run out of the Key West harbor and out around the Dry Tortugas. Most of the boats then used piston aircraft engines, Allisons and such, and the pack blasting out of the harbor sounded like a squadron of WWII fighters taking off. Good stuff.

Rocky, I just came back from a trip in and around SLC, part of which unfortunately involved I-15. Scary stuff, sort of like a CA freeway with less experienced, angry drivers. Lucked out and was able to do part of the southbound shot on the Bangerter Highway.
Originally Posted by DARBY
boats then used piston aircraft engines, Allisons and such, and the pack blasting out of the harbor sounded like a squadron of WWII fighters taking off. Good stuff.

just like this. nothing else sounds like it.....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Alternative to NASCAR - 06/12/10
well i watch indy and formula 1 as main racing ohh yeah nhra drag racing too.For me nascar is a sport to check in on rather then watch anymore.While i still watch some f1 is my main must watch form of racing.

The lemans 24hr is really a great race i love these endurance races.Sorta more real life to me then the 500 mIle 4.5 hour nascar race
Posted By: dave09 Re: Alternative to NASCAR - 06/12/10
Unlimiteds- Detroit Gold Cup. During the glory years of the Cup, this used to be the largest single-day attendance event in all of sports. They've been racing there for a century.
Gotta love the roostertails; we always sit in the 'Roostertail Turn'- these guys come into this turn in turbine-powered hydroplanes flat out at well over 200+

[Linked Image]
May not be a race in Detroit this year.
Originally Posted by tbear99

The lemans 24hr is really a great race i love these endurance races.Sorta more real life to me then the 500 mIle 4.5 hour nascar race

On Now!! cool
Originally Posted by dave09
May not be a race in Detroit this year.

that would be truly sad- the Gold Cup has been thunder on the Detroit River for a century.

The hot pits, Gold Cup, with downtown Detroit in the background...

[Linked Image]
Dayum I love that picture. It means thunder is coming.

Thanks for sharing!!!!
Posted By: Seafire Re: Alternative to NASCAR - 06/12/10
Originally Posted by T LEE
Originally Posted by byc

Yep, the Baja 500 is by far the best of racing in my world.

The Monte Carlo Rally and the Paris to Dakar Race were pretty wild...

when I was a kid in Europe I also use to love to follow the East African Safari.. I don't think they do that one anymore..

What would really be wild also, is a Baja style race across Australia, for all 3000 miles, off road!
Originally Posted by DARBY
boats then used piston aircraft engines, Allisons and such, and the pack blasting out of the harbor sounded like a squadron of WWII fighters taking off. Good stuff.

just like this. nothing else sounds like it.....

[Linked Image]

Those were used in PT boats in WW 2.. each PT boat had 3 Allisons or 3 Packard built Merlins...
Originally Posted by 338Federal
4-500mph!

I am sure that technology exists to power something up to that speed, but I would doubt that technology exists to all a boat hull to take the pounding that speed on water would produce...

I've watched the boat racing on Lake Washington up in Seattle years back.. and they were not getting anywhere near those speeds..

I may be wrong, but I'd have to see it to believe it..
Posted By: levrluvr Re: Alternative to NASCAR - 06/13/10
Australia's Ken Warby holds the world record on water at 317mph. He's currently shooting for 400.
"With an approximate fatality rate of 85% since 1940, the record is one of the sporting world's most hazardous competitions".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_speed_record

I wish him luck. Excessive speed on the water kills.
Posted By: levrluvr Re: Alternative to NASCAR - 06/13/10
a couple more of the Detroit Gold Cup Unlimited Hydroplanes-
wife with the Miss Bud- we had hot pit and roostertail passes for years, a good friend drives the 'O Boy Oberto boat. Those trailers hydraulically tilt the boat to a 45 degree angle so the boats are legal on the highway. $200k+ a copy, just for the trailer. The boats cost considerably more.....

[Linked Image]

another shot of an Allison- there is usually only one, maybe two piston-powered boats left racing Unlimiteds... they sound so nice

[Linked Image]

another shot of 'Warpath', a 42 Apache, catching some VERY serious air in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Florida. The throttleman has a very busy job in big water... this particular boat is one of the most famous v-hull race boats ever built

[Linked Image]

Don Aronow, the founder of Cigarette, (and earlier Donzi, Magnum, Formula) He was murdered outside the Cigarette factory on Thunderboat Row in Miami in 1987 while sitting in his Mercedes. The hit was ordered by the man driving 'Warpath' in the previous picture, Ben Kramer. This was during southern Florida's infamous drug years, and offshore boats were (and somewhat still are) a part of that illicit industry. "The King of Thunderboat Row" is an excellent, but hard to find book if you're so inclined....an unbelievable time in Florida history..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Aronow

This is Don in one of his original Cig designs. He loved offshore racing- back in the day they used to run to Bimini and the Bahamas- the guys were so broke up after the race they needed help getting out of the boats.

[Linked Image]
I'm kinda partial to Moto GP for my racing fix.220 mph on a GP motorcycle, dragging elbows in the turns. Nothing else even comes close.
Posted By: derby_dude Re: Alternative to NASCAR - 06/13/10
So that's why I see hydroplanes titled 45 degrees on trailers as they travel on the road. Never knew that before and always wonder why.
© 24hourcampfire