Home
At ten degrees Fahrenheit? Starting temp is seventy-seven degrees Fahrenheit.
Not long.......
til it turns to ice

Mike
93 minutes.
as long as it takes
What are the dimensions of the container?
Originally Posted by AKBoater
What are the dimensions of the container?
Bout a gallon...
a gallon in a stretched out garden hose will freeze MUCH faster than a gallon in a round jug. It's all about surface area and heat loss.
like froze all through? in an ice cream pail or milk jug or sumthin?

or a gallon of water through a snow making machine?

cause.... it's different....

as in... ski slope snow making machine... not ice, sorry.

Why do you want to know?
It's too much of a hassle to freeze that much water at one time. Just buy a bag of ice.

fish head
must be raining... summer time cabin fever?

Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

Why do you want to know?

I'm curious. It's in a plastic one gallon jug. Well it's three of 'em in the freezer. Put in at 7pm est.
Guess I'll find out.
Originally Posted by northern_dave

No it's freaking HOT outside. Gotta wait till it cools down to sight in a rifle.
3 at once?

check em tomorrow about 9AM.

Originally Posted by shreck

Why do you want to know?

I'm curious. It's in a plastic one gallon jug. Well it's three of 'em in the freezer. Put in at 7pm est.
Guess I'll find out.

3 will take longer to freeze than 1 in a freezer with limited space. You're freezing 3 gal which is 3 times the heat going into the air so the freezer has to work 3 times harder to cool it.
I said 9AM but... I thing there will be water centers still....

Put a little salt in the water and they'll freeze faster. wink

fish head

No it's freaking HOT outside. Gotta wait till it cools down to sight in a rifle.

It is hot!!! Africa Hot!. Heat index in Greenville is above 109. It's still 95 outside.
Put it into a car's radiator and face it into the wind, according to many people, it will freeze almost instantly. smile
Taint much hot up here.

wet yes, hot... no. 70's at best.

Yep, it's still 89 degrees in the back yard at 8:17 pm.
Originally Posted by byc
]

It is hot!!! Africa Hot!. Heat index in Greenville is above 109. It's still 95 outside.

Whats this "heat index" thing you guy's talk about, if it is 95 is should feel like 95. Maybe you guys need to adjust your thermometers! It was only 112 here today, felt like it was 112 outside laugh summer is almost here. grin
Originally Posted by RoadRunner65
Originally Posted by byc
]

Whats this "heat index" thing you guy's talk about, if it is 95 is should feel like 95. Maybe you guys need to adjust your thermometers! It was only 112 here today, felt like it was 112 outside laugh summer is almost here. grin

Try 90 degree heat and 80 percent humidity. Sux it does.
Whats this "heat index" thing you guy's talk about,

It is wind chill in reverse. It happens down here in the south. miles

Try 90 degree heat and 80 percent humidity. Sux it does.

I know, it's a dry heat here laugh I am from MN and know about 90* and 90% humidity, was just thinking of the heat index like daylight savings time, just adjust your thermometers like you clocks laugh
Ahh, "reverse wind chill"

I understand.

So it's like we keep our saunas? 140-ish?

Fish head, Putting salt in the water you want to freeze will make it freeze at a lower temperature and, therefore, make it take longer to freeze. Putting some salt in some ice surrounding the jugs will make the surrounding ice melt at a lower temperature and will cause the liquid water in contact with the outside of the jug of pure water to be below the normal freezing temperature of pure water. The liquid water will transfer heat better than air or solid ice and will cause the pure water in the jug to freeze faster.
Originally Posted by Notropis
Fish head, Putting salt in the water you want to freeze will make it freeze at a lower temperature and, therefore, make it take longer to freeze. Putting some salt in some ice surrounding the jugs will make the surrounding ice melt at a lower temperature and will cause the liquid water in contact with the outside of the jug of pure water to be below the normal freezing temperature of pure water. The liquid water will transfer heat better than air or solid ice and will cause the pure water in the jug to freeze faster.

Been making ice cream that way for 40 years. GOOD STUFF!!
Ahh, "reverse wind chill"

I understand.

So it's like we keep our saunas? 140-ish?

So ,,,,,,,,,,does this mean we have to flip the engine fan around in the winter to make our engines warm up faster and not freeze the radiator?
You got it right, Rock Chuck. Few things better than home made ice cream. Hand cranked is the best, especially if you can get someone else to crank.
Originally Posted by RoadRunner65
Originally Posted by byc
]

Maybe you guys need some humidity out there. It's like a sauna outside here.
95* here, 18% humidity. nearly impossible to sweat -- you just dehydrate like a prune.

(really, set a piece of moist bread out and you have a crushable crouton in under 20 minutes).

as to the OP, the bigger the freezer, the better. room temp to 10*, figure 36-48 hours depending on your freezer's horsepower.
"you no, it's not so much the heat, as it is the gosh darn humidity.."

(yoopers)

Originally Posted by UtahLefty
95* here, 18% humidity. nearly impossible to sweat -- you just dehydrate like a prune.

(really, set a piece of moist bread out and you have a crushable crouton in under 20 minutes).

as to the OP, the bigger the freezer, the better. room temp to 10*, figure 36-48 hours depending on your freezer's horsepower.

So bout 1 am tomorrow morning. Best guess so far.
I know it take about 72 hours to freeze a 6 gal jug in a -30* chest freezer, so I'm back-calculating from there.*

* I finally got smart and take them all to the walk-in for 48 hours -- he does it for free.....
I know that you can put salt in your ice chest along with the ice and water and drive rough roads for a little while and have Ice in your beer. miles
I sometimes put a little sea water in with the ice in my boat cooler and fairly quickly have frozen fish.
I think we hit about 75 today. I had to get a haircut yesterday because the heat was really getting to me...
Anything above 72 is the friken Sahara.

HATE hot weather.
Word.

Mid 60's here, fog and drizzle, normal summer weather. Perfect.

Mid 60's here, fog and drizzle, normal summer weather. Perfect.

Yeah - I miss Monterey for the weather....
Depends on if you put it in the freezer or wait for cold weather. I calculate about 3.5 months here, outside.

On the other hand, I filled 6 gallon-ziplocks about half full with water and put them in late evening, laid flat, in the mostly empty stand-up freezer before going gill-netting last weekend for freezer salmon. Hard as a rock in the morning. (caught one salmon - already et - the ice is back in freezer waiting for some real action)
We hit 75 for the first time in like 275 days...don't know how you guys stand the heat.
Originally Posted by okok
We hit 75 for the first time in like 275 days...don't know how you guys stand the heat.

Mind over matter. If you don't mind it won't matter.

It was 99F here yesterday but only got to 93F today because it rained this morning.
Originally Posted by teal

HATE hot weather.

Amen! And then there are those poor folks of diminished capacity who say, "I like it HOT!" There is a place for those people. smile
It gets to 100 degrees and hotter here and it's so pleasant you can't even tell... It's a 'Dry Heat'... Gimme a break!!

I know... I've been in the humidity and it sucks too.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by teal

HATE hot weather.

Amen! And then there are those poor folks of diminished capacity who say, "I like it HOT!" There is a place for those people. smile

Well, here in Az we like to think off it as practice and getting used to it... just in case on the flip side, never hurts to prepare for the worst and be pleasantly surprised if it's angels that greet us... just say'n...

Bout a day and a half for the jugs to freeze.

Kent
Originally Posted by Notropis

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.......................................

I lived in Alaska for fourteen friggin' years and I'm an expert at freezing water.

Nuff said. eek

frosty fish head
While we're on the subject...

If the Coriolis Effect makes water in a toilet swirl in a counter-clockwise rotation below the equator, do they have to put the flush handle on the shytter's left side?

Just wonderin'.....

[Linked Image]

Maybe I'd better go fishin'.
Originally Posted by BGunn
While we're on the subject...

If the Coriolis Effect makes water in a toilet swirl in a counter-clockwise rotation below the equator, do they have to put the flush handle on the shytter's left side?

Just wonderin'.....

[Linked Image]

Maybe I'd better go fishin'.

The flush valve is in the center of the tank regardless of where the lever is. Most people are right handed so they use the right hand for the post-movement paperwork. When they stand up, they have their clean left hand to push the lever.
No, this is not a proven theory. I just finished inventing it. And, in keeping it on the subject, if the water in the bowl is frozen, you'll have to come back when it thaws in April to flush it.
In this day and age of high class shyttin, you can get 'em with handles on the left,

[Linked Image]

right

[Linked Image]

and center!

[Linked Image]
I haven't brushed up on thermodynamics lately...how long did it take?
How did we go from freezing water to toilets?

BTW It's already danged HOT here! 92.
Originally Posted by byc
How did we go from freezing water to toilets?

BTW It's already danged HOT here! 92.

Dunno. Sometimes segue is a master of disguise. wink
so after all this...which freezes faster hot or cold water????

this came up in a heated bet last night.
I dunno, but I recently saw a Mythbusters episode where they were looking for the quickest way to chill a can of beer from room temperature down to about 38 deg. F.

A mixture of ice and water with salt added was significantly faster than any other method except for spraying the can of beer with a CO2 fire extinguisher.
One year we went hunting in late October in Colorado. We were at about 10,000 feet elevation, and it was very cold.

I heated a pot of water for coffee--I don't think it ever got hot enough to boil, and poured in into cups.

Would you believe that the water froze so fast that the ice was still warm?
Originally Posted by 1234567
One year we went hunting in late October in Colorado. We were at about 10,000 feet elevation, and it was very cold.

I heated a pot of water for coffee--I don't think it ever got hot enough to boil, and poured in into cups.

Would you believe that the water froze so fast that the ice was still warm?

That ain't nothing.

This one time ... at hunting camp... in Alaska ................. it was soooooooo cold that.....................

I got up in the middle of the night to pee and............

Slush was coming out of my wang. It froze solid by the time it hit the ground and bounced like buckshot on the ice.

I didn't check to see if it was still warm though. laugh

frosty fish head
Yep, it's still 89 degrees in the back yard at 8:17 pm.

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/NZSP.html

I love this website. If I don't like our weather 'cause it's cold, it makes me feel better. If I don't like the "heat" we are having, I can look here and feel better. grin
Originally Posted by fish head
That ain't nothing.

This one time ... at hunting camp... in Alaska ................. it was soooooooo cold that.....................

I got up in the middle of the night to pee and............

Slush was coming out of my wang. It froze solid by the time it hit the ground and bounced like buckshot on the ice.

I didn't check to see if it was still warm though. laugh

frosty fish head

Naw, that isn't cold, although it does sound like it was getting close.

One time I was deer hunting in Manitoba. It was so cold that when I took a piss, I had to keep backing up!

John
I've always been happy if the cold hasn't reduced the "little guy" to a stubby mass of unstretchable flesh which can't be extended beyond the layers of insulation. I hate the resulting yellow icicles that are formed in those layers as a result.

But heck, anyone who thinks "Don't piss into the wind" means "Piss the other way" has never felt the yellow updraft that can happen when "going" with the wind in the western sub-arctic.
© 24hourcampfire