Home
In a weird, and poorly written local newspaper story, it looks like the K9 officer, trying to subdue a cracked out perp, turns the dog loose, and it bit two other officers.
Weird story.
link to story
Now this is in Hawkeye's AO, so anything could have happened. laugh

A 40-year-old Gainesville man is in the Alachua County jail after police say he smoked crack, kidnapped a friend, stole her car and fled from officers when they tried to stop him.

It started just after midnight early Sunday morning when police say Tommie Leroy Nobles began driving his friend's car without headlights, speeding and running stop signs.

The friend, Suborn Jackelene Watkins of Ocala, asked him to stop, saying she feared for her life.

She tried several times to get out of the car, but each time Nobles would speed up. Watkins called 911 and told dispatchers she was being held against her will and thought she would die.

Nobles lost control of the car near 1500 S.E. 15th Ave. and stopped just long enough for Watkins to get out. She demanded that Nobles get out, too, but he drove off with her car and continued driving without headlights, speeding, running stop signs and driving on the wrong side of the road.

Gainesville Police spotted him and began chasing him.

Watkins finally crashed near 400 S.E. Second Ave. when he drove into a ditch.

But even then, police say he tried to restart the car and leave.

Gainesville Police surrounded him and one officer shot Nobles with a Taser, but Nobles tried to pull out the probes. A second officer Tasered him, but he still would not surrender. A third officer then Tasered him and he stopped resisting arrest.

As officers tried to subdue him, K-9 officer Richter wound up biting two GPD officers, who were not seriously hurt.

Police said Nobles admitted to smoking crack and then driving the car.

He also admitted to not letting Watkins out of the car.

He is charged with grand theft auto, felony kidnapping, resisting arrest without violence, fleeing and attempting to elude law enforcement.
I am sure the media reported all the facts in this case....laffin.

Dink
Somebody get the TAPES of this,.....please !

what a riot.....

GTC
Posted By: NH K9 Re: K9 Cop bites other officers? - 08/09/10
They say that dogs start to act like their owners/handlers after a while. Apparently the reverse is true as well. I think I'll stick to using my hands.

I'm printing this out and bringing it to K9 training this afternoon to discuss "tactics" grin

George
Sounds like an issue for Internal affairs
Posted By: NH K9 Re: K9 Cop bites other officers? - 08/09/10
On a serious note, it's not uncommon for cops to get bit by a K9. Contrary to what some believe, the dogs don't distinguish uniforms or anything else. If a handler doesn't "target" the dog properly prior to releasing him bad things can happen.

When working up close, such as in the above situation, with a cranked up dog it wouldn't take much to get tagged. A fellow officer moving in to slap the handler on the back for a job well done will end badly. There are a million ways for it to happen. I've been bit working backup to another K9 officer a few times. It is what it is.

George
Good Dogie!!!

Here's a couple of extra milk bones and a pig's ear...

grin
Funny how a cop will shot a tiny little ankle biter for fear of their safety, but when a trained attack dog attacks them it is just part of the job.
Tony270wsm while your wrestling with some turd and a k9 bites you I am going to guess that you probaly don't have time to deal with the dog before his handler has him under control.

Dink
Posted By: T LEE Re: K9 Cop bites other officers? - 08/09/10
Hell, I been accidentally bit a couple of times by K9's, it is over so fast it is incredible. The ones that got me instantly realized their mistake and got the perp and were almost apologetic when it was over.
If the dog bites the Tazee does he get the effect as well. Maybe Phydeaux was getting zapped pretty good by the three tazers working in unison!

The police made their first mistake when they shot the crack head with a tazer. They should have given him a bad case of lead poisoning and kept the dog out of it.

Alan
Posted By: ingwe Re: K9 Cop bites other officers? - 08/09/10
Originally Posted by NH K9
On a serious note, it's not uncommon for cops to get bit by a K9. There are a million ways for it to happen. I've been bit working backup to another K9 officer a few times. It is what it is.

George

+1

That would make it a million and one ways it can happen...

Ingwe
Originally Posted by Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr
If the dog bites the Tazee does he get the effect as well.

Alan

Nope, you can hold on to a person as they are Tased and feel nothing.
Originally Posted by Tony270WSM
Funny how a cop will shot a tiny little ankle biter for fear of their safety, but when a trained attack dog attacks them it is just part of the job.

ya know, I really did not intend for this thread to drift off into cop bashing, ala TRH.
It was humorous to see the local paper, a self described paragon of newspaper excellence, a wholly owned subsidiary of the NYT, make a blunder like this.

We need to keep this simple. All dogs should be shot immediately whenever the police interact with anyone suspected of a crime, whether erroneously or not. Let God sort them out later. laugh
aieeeeeeee laugh
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

ya know, I really did not intend for this thread to drift off into cop bashing, ala TRH.
It was humorous to see the local paper, a self described paragon of newspaper excellence, a wholly owned subsidiary of the NYT, make a blunder like this.

I agree,....this had potential for good clean fun,and some wonderful humor......'til the Hate Group showed up.

GTC

What is the blunder, are we sure the K9 cop in question is not a dog named Richter?
I thought the dogs were considered officers.

Alan
Wonder if these K9's have a higher bite rate after "the list" is posted in the locker room....................... grin
How many times was it shot?
The criminal justice system has it's ups and downs.

Cops aren't the only ones that occasionally bite each other, lawyer do too!

laugh
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

I agree,....this had potential for good clean fun,and some wonderful humor......'til the Hate Group showed up.

GTC

Post on a public forum and you get opinions. Funny you'd bring up the 'hate group' as you seem to be the pres. One of the most negative people on here. Or at least in the posts I check out. Either way, I really don't give a [bleep] what you think about me.
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

laugh

Yeah, but if it's a lawyer bite you automatically needs the full rabies series! Not so the K9. smile smile smile
Originally Posted by T LEE
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

laugh

Yeah, but if it's a lawyer bite you automatically needs the full rabies series! Not so the K9. smile smile smile

There's a number of folks here, not all lawyers, who couldn't pass a rabies test grin
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

GTC

Post on a public forum and you get opinions. Funny you'd bring up the 'hate group' as you seem to be the pres. One of the most negative people on here. Or at least in the posts I check out. Either way, I really don't give a [bleep] what you think about me.

Thanks for the quick heads up,.....not that you weren't already pretty much pegged. How's your probation going, getting along with your PO OK ?

GTC

GTC

Laughing out loud over here!

I knew at the title this thread would be fun...

... for most of us wink
ps

I hope the occifer bit by the "law-dog" is ok smile
True enough Tracks, and some I would like the brain tested just to make sure! smile smile smile
Yet another argument for outlawing the carrying of donuts in uniform pockets... wink

*ducking*
Posted By: T LEE Re: K9 Cop bites other officers? - 08/10/10
Nah, the K9's don't like donuts, just their handlers! Gotta watch out for the Kong toys though!
After being bitten by a land shark as a teenager I can verify that some K9's can be a bit "sharp" without any provication so it doesn't surprise me that officers sometimes get bit.

Watch at the 47seconds point of the video below...Wish I understood French! grin

Those are some fine K9's, wow!
So what you are saying George, is that well trained police dogs are like the German guard dogs on Hogan's Heroes, the dogs bite the guards and let the prisoners go. grin

I'd pay to watch them take on your cats. wink
Originally Posted by Barkoff

What is the blunder, are we sure the K9 cop in question is not a dog named Richter?

I was able to speak to one of my friends on the GPD, and was assured that the dog is NOT named Richter.
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

If that happens, Terry will be backing the cats with a M60 grin
Originally Posted by Tracks

If that happens, Terry will be backing the cats with a M60 grin

He's funny that way...
Accident waiting to happen?

Should the dog be put down? I'm not sure I would want the responsibility of giving either dog away to a family or anywhere they could be unsupervised in a public place..

From that clip we can deduce that the French breed good police dogs and terrible actors! grin grin

Be a waste of your money.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Pete E

From that clip we can deduce that the French breed good police dogs and terrible actors! grin grin

Yeppers, that would seem to be the case Pete.

Need just a little work on "let go", but there is time for that down the road.
My daughters was kinda like that, you know, "I caught him dammit, he is mine!"
Posted By: NH K9 Re: K9 Cop bites other officers? - 08/10/10
Originally Posted by derby_dude
So what you are saying George, is that well trained police dogs are like the German guard dogs on Hogan's Heroes, the dogs bite the guards and let the prisoners go. grin

They bite whoever is running. Ask most handlers how many times they've been bit by their loving partners during stressful scenarios grin .

Folks is folks to dogs, that's why I love workin' with 'em.

George
Originally Posted by NH K9
They bite whoever is running.

They also bite folks who are just walking! I can vouch for that from real life expirience!
Posted By: NH K9 Re: K9 Cop bites other officers? - 08/10/10
Pete, I remember that one. IIRC it sounded like an error on the handler's part.

Hell, our dogs bite and love it. It's nothing but a game, though one they take seriously. My old man is a "sharp" dog and I have to be 100% on my game when he's in work mode. We'll see where the new girl takes me.

George
Pete E

The clip is from "Miami Animal Police" . It was/is a show about the Miami-Dade County (Florida) Animal Services Unit. Iirc, the guy's name is Charlie Daye. I seem to remember that Daye ended up getting bit three times by that male rottweiller during the episode. And ended up still trying to work with it rather than put it down. I don't think, at that point, there was any further intention of adopting out the dog.

© 24hourcampfire