Home
Posted By: n007 USS Kirk - 09/02/10
Has anyone else been catching this series on NPR? I have been listening to NPR ourt of Bellingham the last few afternoons and really enjoying the program especially the iterviews with those who were actually there. Didn't know that they had to raise the US flag on all those South Vietnamese boats to be allowed into the Phillipines. Hope these links work.

Forgotten Ship: A Daring Rescue As Saigon Fell

At War's End, U.S. Ship Rescued South Vietnam's Navy
Posted By: n007 Re: USS Kirk - 09/02/10
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129578263
Posted By: IntruderBN Re: USS Kirk - 09/02/10
I've been following this. A very good story that very few have ever heard about, for sure.
Posted By: Kentucky_Windage Re: USS Kirk - 09/02/10
Great story. I participated in other aspects of Frequent Wind, but never heard of this until now. There are many untold stories from that period. It's great to see some of them finally coming to light.
Posted By: T LEE Re: USS Kirk - 09/02/10
Ever notice how the services of the United States always come through with the goods. God love our service people.

I sat with tears unashamedly running down my cheeks as I watched the fall of Saigon and the Huey's being pushed off the deck of the carriers after bringing out their cargo's of refugees as we were pulling out.

And yes, even knowing what I do now I would do as I did then.
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: USS Kirk - 09/02/10
listened to one night of it......the one thing you will never hear on NPR, though, is acceptance of the obvious corollary of that whole refugee fiasco.....that the winning of the war by the NVA was a disaster for South Vietnam and its people, delivered on a plate by the Congressional democrats.
Yes it was, they have a habit of such crap!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: USS Kirk - 09/02/10
Gainesville if full of unreconstructed liberal American hating hippies, old azzholes with pony tails and driving volvos covered with lefty stickers...........

I always give them the finger..........
So do I every chance I get, thank God they are few and far between down here.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: USS Kirk - 09/02/10
I heard the first day of it. What I learned again, is that our servicemen are the best and always have been.

I'm not sure that was the messge NPR was intending.
Posted By: ExpatFromOK Re: USS Kirk - 09/02/10
Originally Posted by T LEE
Ever notice how the services of the United States always come through with the goods. God love our service people.

I sat with tears unashamedly running down my cheeks as I watched the fall of Saigon and the Huey's being pushed off the deck of the carriers after bringing out their cargo's of refugees as we were pulling out.

And yes, even knowing what I do now I would do as I did then.

T Lee
My father served in Viet Nam 65-66 with the 11th Amored Cavalry Regiment. During this tour he was wounded in action and twice sited for valor and eventually MEDEVAC'd from the AO as a 36 year old master sergeant with a wife and 4 kids at home in the States. I remember as an eleven year old kid not understanding the emotion on my father's face as he sat watching the news of the fall of Saigon after 10 hours of delivering mail that day.

Expat
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: USS Kirk - 09/02/10
Another story from NPR, back in 1985. A couple of weeks ago, my 11 year old daughter and I were biking through the local cemetery where they have a replica of the Vietnam memorial, and we stopped, discussed what it was, and meant, and about the names. I also pointed out the last name and told her a little about him..

Richard Van de Geer - Goodbye Saigon
Posted By: Sako Re: USS Kirk - 09/03/10
First I have ever heard of it... thank you very much for posting.....
Posted By: n007 Re: USS Kirk - 09/03/10
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I heard the first day of it. What I learned again, is that our servicemen are the best and always have been.

I'm not sure that was the messge NPR was intending.

Have to disagree, the message was as plain as the nose on my face, no American listening to that broadcast could have come away without feeling immense pride for their country and the US armed forces. Hell, I was feeling proud just for being your neighbour after listening to it.
© 24hourcampfire