Home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I&feature=player_embedded
no
Originally Posted by 7 STW
no

Me either... I'll take the 'ole Summit climber up to 35' without much issue but these guys have brass nuts!!!
.... didn't see the video before I worte that. Was thinking they were hunting from the tower. Sorry if I pizzed off anyone that does this for a living.
Originally Posted by tzone
They don't have brass nutz...they're just dumb.

LOL...

Honestly, what's the helmet for? I mean, if you fall from that far your humpty dumpty ain't gonna get put back together again.
the video wasn't working...

i do have a couple of friends who are tower jocks... one's retired now...
a bit on the whacko side, but in a good way...

i was in council bluffs iowa a while back when 3 tjs roped off together hit the ground from 1100... it didn't hurt for long...
Originally Posted by johnw
the video wasn't working...

i do have a couple of friends who are tower jocks... one's retired now...
a bit on the whacko side, but in a good way...

i was in council bluffs iowa a while back when 3 tjs roped off together hit the ground from 1100... it didn't hurt for long...

Tried to fix it, here's the link again; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I
Nope, couldn't even watch the video when he got to the top and climbed out from inside.

I have heard the pay they get is higher than heck too.

What was it that needed attention at the top? I'm sure they didn't climb it for the exercise.
what's the helmet for? I mean, if you fall from that far

it's to bounce the 1 1/4" spud wrench that the guy above you lets go of....
Prolly changing a light bulb!
I'd rather someone just shoot me than to climb that thing.

I am a retired lineman, but I never liked heights. It was just something that I had to do. I never climbed a communication tower, but I am reminded of an old serviceman that was once asked to replace the bulbs in our tower. Sure, he said, just lay it down.
1100 feet is a good, relatively safe jump altitude for paratroopers, you've got time to deploy your reserve if the main chute doesn't work.

It's a long way UP, and a long way DOWN.
Well, at least no one has cuted it up by calling it a "tranny" tower. Geez, I hate that word. (End of rant.)
Years ago I knew a guy who sold specialty lighting products, in particular, extra-long life light bulbs. Sold chitloads of them to the folks who run the transmission towers, as the going rate, IIRC, to have a monkey climb the tower back then, aprrox. 1980, was $250.

God, but my guts were churning and head spinning just watching that video!
Damn good thing my family doesn't have to rely on me to do that job to feed them. They would be living hungry in a van down by the river!

Mike
That made me sick to my stomach just watching it.
Highest I have ever worked is 13 stories.
That kind of work is not for me.
I may be crazy but I'm not that stupid. I don't know what that guy gets paid but he sure earns it.
It would take me about 5 hours to climb because I would damn sure not "free climb" as they called it.
Lower me down from a helicopter, but there is no way in hell you get me to climb that!

I wonder how much sway is in the structure as they climb it?
I think the worst part ,is the helmet is on the guys head,and he keeps looking up and down.
I used to be a roofer. I never got anywhere near that high, but I was in some places that would splat you very dead if you got careless.
Only a fraction of the height of a transmission tower, but still not something I would ever do..

One of our AK nuts is a comm tower fella. I don't know if we have towers that tall however. I think climbing in the wind and cold makes up for it, eh Jeff?

I love heights and would climb that, but when I took a break, I'd wrap the safety line around the pole and not just hook it over an open rung!

Also, when he got about to the top and was climbing the 1-1/2" pipe, I bet it had a little sway!
Worked all my life as a crane operator, and took thousands of men up on the headache ball. I have always been afraid of heights. I would never ride the ball or a basket and I damn sure wouldn't climb one of those towers!! They had shots of some men coming down air mail south of Houston when a TV tower collapsed, it takes special people to be high men.
Can't get the video, but I figure if I climb rocks for fun, a ladder is no biggy, much bigger holds.
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by TheOnLineEngineer.org.

Not your ordinary ladder, Paul. This tower was on the order of 1400' 1768' tall. smile
Didn't Steelhead do this sort of thing when he was in Alaska?
Here's a good link to the same video, I think.

No way in heck I could do that frown
My wifes business partners father-in-law owned a company that built those towers. His funeral was the worst one I have ever been to because the pictures the family chose were all of him hanging off various structures at dizzying heights. I nearly got sick to my stomach looking at them. BTW he did not die in a fall.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Well, at least no one has cuted it up by calling it a "tranny" tower. Geez, I hate that word. (End of rant.)

That ain't a word!! And my auto ain't got a "tranny," either. Nor do I own a "Remmy or a Loopy."

End of rant, but stay tuned.
Originally Posted by ironbender
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by TheOnLineEngineer.org.

Not your ordinary ladder, Paul. This tower was on the order of 1400' 1768' tall. smile

I know, but I did climb this a few years back, not quite that high, but pretty close.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

(not me, I didn't have a camera on that trip)
© 24hourcampfire