Home
Or is it too much of a pain in the azz to bother with?
You can contact your internet service provider.

The ones in my area charges a fee to allow you to change it.
http://whatismyipaddress.com/change-ip
Why do you want to change it?
If you have wifi

Turn off the router for a five minuets and it should be changed.
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
If you have wifi

Most IP's are assigned dynamically from your ISP. Even if you turn off your router it will get a new one in the group - meaning if you are trying to get a new one to avoid being blocked on a site you still will be.

You can pay your ISP extra for a static IP if you want one that never changes however.

If you use windows you can start a command prompt and enter "ipconfig /release" and then after that finishes "ipconfig /renew" and it will get you another dynamic IP in the same range as the first one.
Originally Posted by AKBoater
He's been getting sexting emails from the Geezer..

laugh laugh laugh
You can probably change your IP address with your ISP but you also have a MAC address that stays the same unless you change your internet card. Just in case you're trying to hide something on your computer from the Cops. kwg
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by AKBoater
He's been getting sexting emails from the Geezer..

laugh laugh laugh

Busted
got the boot off an outdoors site that is run like Nazi's and I told them so.

It makes this site soooo much better.
as others have already said, simply getting a new IP is not difficult because most ISP's have a pool of IP's they use for their clients, and you're pretty much randomly assigned one each time you connect to them. The problem is, the pool of IP addresses from a given ISP is typically within a given range - i.e. 192.0.0.0 thru 192.0.0.999 - which means that any IP address in that "range" is identifiable as a certain ISP's ownership.

Next, there are other internal "codes" or "addresses" associated with your personal hardware - your router has unique ID's, as does your network card, modem, etc... Depending on how your network is set up, some of these addresses are "hidden from public view", or possibly not. These can be used to identify your PC, or your network as well, possibly.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you're trying to re-identify yourself to get around having your IP banned from a website or forum, there's usually more to getting around it than simply re-connecting to your ISP and being given a new IP address ...

Originally Posted by tzone

Let me know how it goes - I've been trying to post this on the Vikings' blogs and keep getting the boot...

[Linked Image]
Let me know what site you want to post it at, and I can take care of it.
grin
Originally Posted by kwg020
You can probably change your IP address with your ISP but you also have a MAC address that stays the same unless you change your internet card. Just in case you're trying to hide something on your computer from the Cops. kwg

Your mac address is only visible out to the first upstream router which will be your isp. In other words, a web site will never know what it is. If your concern is not with the isp, there's no need to worry about the mac address.
Originally Posted by NathanL
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
If you have wifi

Most IP's are assigned dynamically from your ISP. Even if you turn off your router it will get a new one in the group - meaning if you are trying to get a new one to avoid being blocked on a site you still will be.

You can pay your ISP extra for a static IP if you want one that never changes however.

If you use windows you can start a command prompt and enter "ipconfig /release" and then after that finishes "ipconfig /renew" and it will get you another dynamic IP in the same range as the first one.

This does not always work. Even if you release the address, many isps will retain a record of the address lease which is associated with your mac address. When you attempt to get a new one, the same address will be reissued.

The only way to ensure getting a new ip address is to:

1. Temporarily, manually change your ip address to a static address in the same subnet. It doesn't matter what address it is as long as it's in your isp's subnet. And it doesn't matter if they already gave that address to another customer.

2. Change your mac address on the network card. And no, this doesn't require swapping out the card.

3. Switch back to dynamic addressing from the static address. Your computer will now go out and request a new address based on the changed mac address. The old ip address record will be orphaned on the isp's server.
What is an IP address, and how does it work?

It is something for computers that works sort of like caller ID on a telephone?
An IP address is like your house's street address which tells the mailman to figure out how to get you your mail. It's just an electronic address assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider so that electronic packets can get to your computer from anywhere in the world. It's often a temporary address "loaned" to you from the ISP. If you go to a web site, they can tell what that address is and block your address if you are a trouble maker :-). For example, if you go to a liberal forum and share some of those pesky facts with them, they'll likely not want you to post anymore and can block your address. That's an example of why someone may be motivated to change their address so they can keep posting.
If you are having problems with one site you can use a proxy, there are a couple of web based proxies out there for free as well.
A good one is Hidemyass.com
MAC is burned into ROM, no? Seems to be on all my NICs. Required to be unique to that particular part from the range assigned the manufacturer.

Also if you don't mind jumping through an extra hoop you can connect through a free proxy server (Google to find). (Oops, written before reading nathanl's post.)
Originally Posted by nighthawk
MAC is burned into ROM, no?

Doesn't matter, it can still be easily spoofed in the operating system. Done it many times.
Originally Posted by GotAmmo

I'm sure there's a good joke in this somewhere.
"An IP address is like your house's street address which tells the mailman to figure out how to get you your mail. It's just an electronic address assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider so that electronic packets can get to your computer from anywhere in the world."

Okay thanks, I understand that. But, if I were to buy a new computer and hook it up to the same ISP at the same location as this one, does the IP stay the same, or is another issued to reflect that you have a new computer?

How does the webb site read your IP address? It looks like it would have to be something like Caller ID.
Well duh on me - of course it can. I live mostly in a microcontroller world, sometimes PC stuff isn't is obvious as it should be.
Originally Posted by 1234567
"An IP address is like your house's street address which tells the mailman to figure out how to get you your mail. It's just an electronic address assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider so that electronic packets can get to your computer from anywhere in the world."

Okay thanks, I understand that. But, if I were to buy a new computer and hook it up to the same ISP at the same location as this one, does the IP stay the same, or is another issued to reflect that you have a new computer?

How does the webb site read your IP address? It looks like it would have to be something like Caller ID.

When an IP packet goes to the web site, it has the source address embedded in it. Kind of like looking at the sender's address on a letter envelope. Each computer has a unique IP address. Just like John and Jane Doe can live in the same house, with the same home address. These analogies aren't perfect. It also depends on how you connect to your ISP. If you have a router that all your home computers go through to the Internet, those computer addresses will be private and the router will appear to be the source address for all the computers.
that's what I was kinda getting at in my earlier post ... a lot depends on how you connect to the internet from your house. The networking setup can either reveal a lot, or hide a lot ... but you have to know what is being broadcast out from your network, and what device is doing the broadcasting in order to start the process of either changing or spoofing your IP ...
The next logical question that I know some people will have is this... if all the computers in my house appear to be coming from a single IP address (ie my home router address) how the hell can 2 or more computers in the same house send and receive unique traffic to an Internet destination?

Routers will use something called network address translation which allow them to multiplex several traffic streams through a single IP address. IP packets have a lot of embedded information other than the IP address. HTTP is something called a stateful connection technology. Basically, that means that a virtual tunnel is created between the source and destination computers. Each connection has unique port and serial numbers associated with it in addition to the IP address.

Here's the real world analogy...

Imagine you're in traffic on a 4 lane highway, and each of the 4 lanes has barricades preventing traffic from switching lanes. So everyone is driving on route 5 but each is in a specific lane.

Ahead of you is a 10 mile single lane tunnel that everyone is required to funnel into. As you approach the single lane, a highway worker slaps a lane # sticker on your windshield- 1, 2, 3, or 4. Everyone then travels through the tunnel which is analogous to your home router.

At the exit of the tunnel, there's a traffic cop who redirects each car to the appropriate lane of a 4 lane highway again. People with a 1 on the windshield get directed to lane 1 and so on. So when you think about it, even if the tunnel was single lane, each car was really traveling through 4 virtual lanes.

Down the road, when you come back in the opposite direction, there is a second single lane tunnel, but your car still has the same lane # on the windshield. The same process occurs in reverse.

When you get back in your driveway, you pull the sticker off your windshield and the process starts over.
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by tzone

Let me know how it goes - I've been trying to post this on the Vikings' blogs and keep getting the boot...

[Linked Image]

TFF!

Ok this I might know just a wee bit about

- you DSL connection or Cablemodem typically caches your IP address via a "lease" which means as long as your cable modem or dsl modem is on and up you have the same IP, unless you leave it off longer than the lease period and it expires and someone else gets it.

A bit of good news - in the next few years as we run out of IPv4 address the ones we use will get rotated around alot more.

So if you want a new IP shut off your modem for a night.

Spot
I kept the following instructions to change my ip
1.Go -> Start
2.Run ->cmd
In the command prompt, type in
Ipconfig /release
Then type in
Ipconfig /renew
Then i got new ip .I checked my ip to find whether it is changed or not at http://www.ip-details.com/ Using this way you can easily change your ip address within short time period.
Wow, second post is to revive a 2-1/2 year old post?
Beat me to it.. laugh
Originally Posted by 1234567
What is an IP address, and how does it work?

It is something for computers that works sort of like caller ID on a telephone?

Internet Protocol Address (or IP Address) is an unique address that computing devices use to identify itself and communicate with other devices in the Internet Protocol network. Any device connected to the IP network must have an unique IP address within its network.
There are two types of ip address.
1.static ip
2.dynamic ip
Static Ip-address:
Static Ip-address will not change if you refresh the modem or switch off and on the modem again.It's remains same.
Dynamic Ip-address:
Dynamic Ip-address will change whenever you refresh the modem a new ip allocated for you......
If you need your computer ip do the following instructions
For Windows xp
1.start->Run
2.cmd
3.Type ipconfig
4.press enter
You can find your external ip address using any one of the online site .Recently i checked my ip address using ip-details.com
I wouldn't touch that website with a 10-foot hoe.
Originally Posted by balkani
I kept the following instructions to change my ip
1.Go -> Start
2.Run ->cmd
In the command prompt, type in
Ipconfig /release
Then type in
Ipconfig /renew
Then i got new ip .I checked my ip to find whether it is changed or not at http://www.ip-details.com/ Using this way you can easily change your ip address within short time period.

You're full of shiite, SPAMMER!
Campers, do not go to the site he's linking to!
aigh! Don't quote him! smile
Originally Posted by GotAmmo

I believe there rated the #1 VPN but alittle rich for my taste.I can't see how one VPN can be that much better than another for private use,excluding business. There are free ones out there. In my case, Trust or a well known VPN is important. Norton is coming out with one soon for both android and apple products running $50 a year to never worry about public WIFI and security.

Jayco
Dude -

on cable and DSL you get a SINGLE IP address, and your cable modem or DSL modem does a "NAT" network address translation.
Your modem assigns you a local IP address for your "home" network, and when you send something to the Intenret it swaps out the IP address with your modem's address.

So which do you want to know -
How to change your internal address - only works for you locally, and not what you want so IP/release is not the solution.
How to change the IP address the ISP gave to your modem.. That occurs over time with some providers, most of the do static assignments but they do roll them every once and a while.

One of the best ways to roll your IP address is to power down your modem for a day or so, even shorter. When someone else's IP get's rolled your's is in the pool and it gets changed.

Other than that use an autonomizer as stated above to change your IP address.
JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS - your mostly tracked via your IP address on EVERY sight you visit.

I'm in the industry -
Cya.
© 24hourcampfire