Home
Posted By: RAS2 Coffee Curiosity - 11/08/10
I was just realizing I'm the last of the old thermos carriers at work. Thought I'd see if anyone still drinks this beverage and what you like.

I have a grinder and I lve fresh ground in the morning. Tried 8'oclock & when I was in Montana they had a brand at Costco called Seattle Mt. very good.

I'm not for flavored coffee. If ypu want hot chocalate then have it but I like plain coffee sometimes with coffeemate, NO sugar. sick

I also drink Maxwell house when I can't grind and instant can also serve well. So let's hear it, anyone drink coffee and what do you like or am I the last of a dying breed?
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/08/10
I carry a thermos and drink my coffee black.
Posted By: shreck Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/08/10
I have a coffee grinder/maker, love the 8 Oclock beans but try others from time to time. I clean it often as well as scour my thermos out.
It's the only reason I get outta bed in the morning.
Posted By: cageycat Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/08/10
Fill my thermos everyday and also drink it black.Yuban for me.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/08/10
I get the San Fransisco french roast at Costco and grind it all there...then every morning my wife makes it for me. I still drink coffee from a thermos rather than buy it every day from a stand and figure I have more money left over for more important things like beer and chew.
Posted By: las Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/08/10
French Roast, freshly ground, all the way. Seattle Mt brand is good - we generally mix it half and half with Starbucks FR.

Then my wife steals the first half cup....... she likes that first hit Euro-style, and we don't make weak batches!
Posted By: steelheadslayer Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/08/10
i like french roast s&w not very fancy but its gooood with cream & sugar,I like it black too wink wife thinks its too strong though but id drink it all day if i knew i wouldnt be in the bathroom every 5 minutes draining it out the other end blush
i do like to cary a thermos when im hunting though
Posted By: RAS2 Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/08/10
My cup has ben known to walk away. Some times I wonder what I did.
Posted By: jryoung Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/08/10
I'm a coffee snob, the best I've ever had was Blue Bottle coffee from Oakland, they are as looney about their coffee as the gun looneys are around here. They'll only ship the day of roast, it's expensive but 100% small batch, high quality beans.

For everyday, I love Peet's Major Dickenson blend, not sure if Peet's is out on the east coast though.

I either brew a full french press in the morning pour a cup and thermos a second cup for the afternoon. Or I make a single drip in the morning and settle for office swill in the afternoon.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/08/10
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

+1.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/08/10
Hottern a three dolla pistol and thick enough to float a crowbar.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/08/10
Folgers or Maxwell house Columbian since you no longer can get Arbuckle's. Black is the ONLY way to drink coffee. The rest I call "Candy Coffee".
Posted By: krp Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/08/10
Strong and black, like I like my m... nevermind

anyway I have a thermos or two around and seldom do more than rinse my cup from day to day.

Kent
Posted By: mike762 Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/08/10
I thought that was cold and bitter, how you like your women I mean.
Posted By: krp Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/08/10
That's true also...I'm Bi I guess
Posted By: Bulletbutt Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/08/10
My thermos quit working. When I got it my wife said it would keep hot stuff hot and cold stuff cold, but I filled it with hot soup and a popsicle and it didn't work. Cheap Chinese crap.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/08/10
I like Eight O'Clock or Dunkin Donuts beans. We buy 'em by the case.

No candy, no milky drinks, no frothy pretend coffee. Make mine truck stop coffee. Just black, thanks.
At work the company provides a thermos of coffee for us, but it's pretty awful stuff. It will keep you somewhat awake though, just because of the taste, so I drink it black.

At home, my wife is a coffee connoisseur, so we get whole bean Columbian from Costco and grind it in a burr grinder. We use a French Press for brewing, and I have to say, it makes the best coffee I've had anywhere.
Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Posted By: WPAH Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/08/10
I am younger and carry a thermos, so I will carry on the tradition.

I like medium-strong coffee with cream and sugar or black, coffee-mate only is ok.
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
my wife said it would keep hot stuff hot and cold stuff cold

How do it know?
Posted By: .280Rem Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/08/10
I don't drink it all day...but I drink a half a pot in the morning. On the weekends I make it in a french press.

I have a grinder but not a good burr grinder. I usually grind my 8'oclock beans at the store then store them air tight.

Community Coffee is good too. For the drip maker, I buy Maxwell House, or Folgers, whichever is on sale...the darkest I can find.

Drink ONLY black.

Recently my old Braun maker gave up the ghost. It was old, and actually ran hot water over the gounds...today's don't heat it enough to make good coffee. My district judge had one like mine, though he's not a coffee freak...I begged, and he gave me his out of his office. Happy day! I actually offered to buy or replace, but he just gave it to me.
Posted By: 4xbear Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/08/10
Costco Seattle Colombian. They roast it in the store and I grind it every morning. At home Sugar and Cream. Away in a thermos, Hot black and STRONG!. Bear
Posted By: coloradoben Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
This may be flame time, but I like Walmart arabica(sp)
instant,big over full table spoon full for 8 oz cup.
No sugar or creamer. About 8 or 10 a day.
Posted By: BasicBeer Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Still carry a thermos, but I've gotten a lot more picky about what I put in it...got a burr grinder, fresh ground beans (currently Sulawesi Toraja Peaberry)and a French Press, made strong. I like just a little turbinado sugar to take the edge off, 'bout half a teaspoon per 8 oz cup.

Life is too short for bad coffee.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Regular ol' medium roast Folger's.

Have a Bunn at the house for a 3 minute pot in the morning, and another pot at the office. Four of us in the office that keep the pot pretty fresh.
Posted By: lightman Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Yup,I'm a coffee drinker too,and a thermos carrier.A 30 yr old stainless Stanley.I leave the house in the morning and drink at the local gathering place for a couple of hours before work.I leave about 0715 to begin my day,and stop by a few more times for a cup during the morning.I carry my thermos when huntng,traveling,or working out of town.At home,we drink folgers,but I love community when we can find it.Starbucks has some good stuff too,and I hit them when traveling.Usually switch over to beer afer lunch! Lightman
Posted By: RAS2 Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
I have had Yuban and it's a good coffee. Don't know how many remember Chase Bros. but we can still get it, not as good as t used to be.

Tried off brand at Aldi's once called "coffee". Purtiy sure I drank dirt!! sick
Two pounds of Folgers Gormet Supreme Dark roast mixed with one pound of French Market. I drink a 12 cup pot in the morning (with a spot of milk), piss like a racehorse till 10:00 and have a cup of whatever there is at work. If I get to draggin in the afternoon I'll hit another cup. I can do without it during the day but if I don't get my morning fix, there's going to be a problem, then the police are gonna come, and somebody is going to have to clean up all the blood, .......

Alan
Posted By: Big_Papa Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Carry the same thermos for 32years and dark roast yuban the sronger the better. foe a good coffee maker try a Bunn mine has been a favorite.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Black coffee, thermos when I need to and I like Hill Brothers. miles
Posted By: deflave Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Originally Posted by cageycat
Fill my thermos everyday and also drink it black.Yuban for me.

Same here. Made in a french press every morning. Best bang of good coffee for the buck IMO.

Travis
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
we used to grind and it is good, but have gone back to Folgers and Yuban, my wife likes the latter, me the former.

just drink it black, maybe some real cream in the evening if available.

I'd bout rather have a good cup of coffee with half and half than any other type dessert.

have an old Stanley thermos that goes hunting or on camping trips, but in town I've a pot on at home and at work so no need for a thermos
Posted By: BarryC Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
I like my coffee black and my bourbon neat.

I like light roast coffee. OK and dark roast too.

Had some Cuban coffee once that was really good. Cafe Cubano. I don't know if it's the unobtainium aspect of it or what, but it just seemed like such damn good coffee.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Folgers 100% Columbian medium dark roast 'cause I can't get my "bean fix" anywhere near where I live.
Five or six cups before noon, then no more caffeine for the day.
Own a real Thermos and a Thermos coffee cup that holds about 32oz. so it's good for a drive.
Drink it black, maybe a bit of Sweet n' Low if it's somebody elses idea of dark roast.
Can't stand most Starbucks coffee. I like a dark roast, can't stand burnt coffee.

Ed
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Fleet average black...jorge
Posted By: silver78 Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Originally Posted by BarryC
I like my coffee black and my bourbon neat.

I like light roast coffee. OK and dark roast too.

Had some Cuban coffee once that was really good. Cafe Cubano. I don't know if it's the unobtainium aspect of it or what, but it just seemed like such damn good coffee.

+1 on black coffee. Our local Costco has Cafe Cubano most of the time. We drink it daily. Maybe not the same stuff you mentioned but it has the same name. It's brewed by Mayorga.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Originally Posted by RAS2
I was just realizing I'm the last of the old thermos carriers at work. Thought I'd see if anyone still drinks this beverage and what you like.

I have a grinder and I lve fresh ground in the morning. Tried 8'oclock & when I was in Montana they had a brand at Costco called Seattle Mt. very good.

I'm not for flavored coffee. If ypu want hot chocalate then have it but I like plain coffee sometimes with coffeemate, NO sugar. sick

I also drink Maxwell house when I can't grind and instant can also serve well. So let's hear it, anyone drink coffee and what do you like or am I the last of a dying breed?
I brew it fresh twice a day, once in the morning and once when I get home from work. Otherwise I'm a zombie. I use Eight O'clock 100% Colombian, with milk and sugar. To me, Starbucks Coffee tastes like crap.
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Drink hot and black. My pot starts brewing at 4:30 am and I drink nearly a pot before wifey gets up. Secretary has a pot waiting on me at work. No frufru crap but have been know to put a big dose of whiskrey in at night...
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Folgers through the Bunn here at home before work, straight black and hot. At work we've got one of the restaurant style Bunns with the top warmer, plumed into the water supply it pretty much runs all day. They've started using bundled Folgers filter packs and kind of weak now.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
The Mr. Coffee mug warmer keeps my coffee hot.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
One, maybe two cups every morning. If working that day, the coffee goes with me in an insulated mug.
I use coffee from StrongTree Organic Coffee . The folks that run it, Chris and Nora, used to live here, and roasted coffee under the brand name "Sweetwater".
They were from NY, and wanted to go home. At least they do internet sales.
They are, without a doubt in the absolute top tier of roasters, and Chris probably is currently the best in America at sourcing.
Posted By: DeerTracker Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
I drink mine stong and black. Carry a small thermos to school with me so I dont have to pay for the super expensive crap on campus. I have the timer set on my pot so its about done brewing when I get up in the morning. While at home, my girlfriend usually has a pot made all the time.
Posted By: Spanokopitas Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10

The Wife buys it, always good stuff. I never ask her how much she pays because I don't want to know. I suspect more the Maxwell and Yuban.

She buys it, I brew it in the french press each morning and bring it to her in bed along with her laptop. That first hour in the bedroom with the fireplace glowing sets the pace of the day.
Posted By: hunter1960 Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
I drink it black, brand doesn't matter. I like it strong not weak. I enjoyed coffee in Germany, they like it strong also. I have a coffee pot in my office.

There's always coffee brewing in the S.O. somewhere, 24/7 365. I usually have a mug of coffee or iced tea, with me when i'm driving.

Years ago, the Alladin brand thermos's were made in Nashville, TN. The company that bought the Stanley and Alladin brands, are based in Seattle now. They moved their manufacturing to China, from the US. Who would guess?
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

+1.

same here, Maxwell House, in a cup ( usually dirty one )
Posted By: batch Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
I love coffee! I use a burr grinder. The best coffee I've had lately was Costco's Ruwandan beans. A small shipment and they ran out before I could get back to buy more. If you're really a coffee 'freak', check out this place: http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/ They have fabulous stuff, albeit $.
Posted By: prm Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Was carrying a thermos until today. We put in a small coffee maker at the office that is adequate. Coffee is black only for me. Favorite is Caribou Daybreak blend, freshly ground. Not a fan of the real strong blends like you often find at Starbucks. Not a SB fan in general.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Coffee black. Anything flavored or with cream/sugar is gay.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Coffee black. Anything flavored or with cream/sugar is gay.

Pretty well sums it up for me. Anything unblack and/or sweet is girly man junk. Make mine stong and black and early in the morning.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
I will drink any brand you are serving, the darker the better (I buy what's on sale), drink it black. Now as to the best I ever drank; it was in Jamaica, coffee was a local bean known as Blue Mountain.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Coffee, black. Tim Hortons brand, just the right blend.

Lynn
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Black, dark, and plentiful, my motto 'bout coffee.

My Thermos is over thirty-years old, but doesn't see the daily use it did for most of those years.

I do carrry some bottled water, and Folgers instant for instances where the coffee I have access to is awful, or absent. I can always find a microwave, and in just over a minute, have a passable cup of joe.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
odessa, that blend is available in the states, but it's $40 a pound lol
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Originally Posted by mike762
I thought that was cold and bitter, how you like your women I mean.

I like mine hot, sweet, and creamy! Both!
grin
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

Lynn

Tim Horton's coffee is just about the only thing I miss about Canada.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
While we are on the subject, I find that these thermos' work better for me. Mine will keep coffee hot for over 24 hours if never opened. Sometime I will fill mine up on Monday morning before I leave home on a trip and then will have coffee available and not use it that day. Next morning it will be hot enough that you can't hold your finger in it. miles

thermos
Posted By: Odessa Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
odessa, that blend is available in the states, but it's $40 a pound lol

I don't believe I will be buying any at that price - maybe my wife and I will get back to Jamaica again one day and have another cup.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
i guess it's something about the fact that THAT BEAN only grows at THAT SPOT in the world and they say it's that much better than everything else.

i had a cup, it was good but not amazing. i have had other cups i thought were as good. maybe it was the way it was prepared or something.

however you had it fresh, in country. bet it was awesome.
Posted By: Stan V Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
HEB dark french roast bean, burr ground and a Freedom Press for 3 1/2 mins and poured into a thermos.......black. A pot every morning.
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
I love mine first thing in the morning.
One of the greatest inventions... a coffee maker with a Clock!

I love mine just like my wimen:
Hot, black and strong!
Posted By: Redneck Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
I roast green Kenyan beans to 'full city' or better, then grind them fresh every morning..

Black 95% of the time.. Real cream with sugar once every couple months..
Posted By: uncle joe Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
[quote=Miss Lynn]Coffee, black. Tim Hortons brand, just the right blend.

Lived in Pompano Bch. Fla. for a while. It was home to the only 2 Tim Horton's in the lower 48 for many years. Very addicting.
I'm guessing they were there so the corporate boys could have a deductible winter vacation.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Originally Posted by uncle joe
[quote=Miss Lynn]Coffee, black. Tim Hortons brand, just the right blend.

Lived in Pompano Bch. Fla. for a while. It was home to the only 2 Tim Horton's in the lower 48 for many years. Very addicting.
I'm guessing they were there so the corporate boys could have a deductible winter vacation.

The closest one to me is 27 miles away, praised God when they made the coffee available in stores nationwide. Cut back on the gas bill pretty good grin
Posted By: old70 Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Coffee drinker and occasionally a thermos carrier. Usually Kona blend from Sam's club, grind my own beans, made strong and consumed black. Occasionally use a french press. Adding anything to coffee perverts the experience and makes candy water, IMHO.

A friend, knowing of my addiction, bought me a t-shirt that said:

"I like my coffe like I like my women...

ground up and in the freezer"

He's not a friend any more.
Posted By: BarryC Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
There are Tim Horton's all over the States now. Seems like VA, KY, TN, NC.
Posted By: bscmama Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Folgers brand here, dark roast. I take mine with sugar and whipping cream on the duck hunting mornings, otherwise I don't drink it too often. The hubby takes a Thermos every morning. One of his Christmas presents last year was a 3 minute Bunn coffeemaker...he adores it.
Posted By: fw707 Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Originally Posted by shortcake20
One of his Christmas presents last year was a 3 minute Bunn coffeemaker...he adores it.

If mine crapped out today I'd have a new one by dark this evening. grin
I've been drinking Folgers Colombian, French Roast, or Black Silk lately.
My wife got me some Thundermuck a while back and it's great, but too expensive to drink in the quantities I'm accustomed to.
I like a double shot of the Taster's Choice Colombian instant in the afternoon too.
And whichever kind I'm drinking, it's always black.
Posted By: RAS2 Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Wife got me a mug and a shirt with a picture of my dog growling the caption read: "No Coffee No Workee".
Posted By: Simoneaud Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Community Dark Roast for me! or Mello Joy ever once and a while.

I make it strong, 6 heaping tablespoons per 12 cups, cream and sweet-n-low

I have a stainless thermos

I do like starbucks mocha too!
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Douwe & Egberts coffee concentrate syrup. Use about 1/8th cup for a full pot.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Flyfast Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Peets brand, or Peerless French Roast, made thick. with a thimble of half-n-half
Posted By: jpb Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

Lynn

Tim Horton's coffee is just about the only thing I miss about Canada.

Me too! No Dead Tim's in Sweden that I have seen. frown

John
Posted By: lmartin Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
i carry a thermos an like my coffee hot, black, and strong also prefer just about anything thats hazelnut if not that then second choice is green mountain medium -strong
Posted By: GregW Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Black and strong.

Nothing added to it whatsoever.

The current favorite is Folgers Black Silk.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/09/10
Black, strong, Columbian or French Roast, ground just before brewing. Eight to ten cups every morning, one or two at lunch. If I had to buy it at a coffee stand at $3 a cup I couldn't afford it. A thermos is cheap by comparison.
Posted By: shameless Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/10/10
I prefer stove top percolated coffee,black,and Luzianne from a percolator on a wood or coal stove is my favorite.
Posted By: okok Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/10/10
Black coffe something strong like a French Roast.
Posted By: Kutter Re: Coffee Curiosity - 11/10/10
I got my Stanley Thermos 34 years ago and it still suits me fine. Had to replace the plug and had a dickens of a time finding an old style without the pour through design.
Anyway, I like my coffee with only a little hot water, else it is a bit gritty an dry.
© 24hourcampfire