Home
Just curious. I wouldn't expect that there are many people out there who are that old and interested in both computers and hunting/shooting. (I know a 72 yr old who still hunts, but won't go near a computer).

I know of at least two here; are there more?
Eighty come 19 January 2011. IIRC, that's a bit over seventy. grin
I'm eight months short. Still hunt, shoot and ride my Harley.
Slowing down a bit on the hill running, considering buying another bike.
Yep. '39 is my vintage. I don't hunt any more, and have just basic computer skills. Still like to shoot, and compete when I can. Even win something once in awhile.

I'll keep doing it as long as I can.

Paul

I refuse to confirm or deny.
You don't type like you're a day over 40!
Originally Posted by ltppowell
You don't type like you're a day over 40!

But it's a lot harder to see the keys now. grin
What was the question again? grin

Just turned 70, still hunt, shoot competitively, have lots of fun in the great outdoors. I love my computer for the internet access but I'm not one who absolutely HAS to have the very newest electronic gadget, just dont need them. To show you what a dinasaur I am, I still use my cell phone to make phone calls to talk to people! eek
Yep, by a couple of years. Haven't hunted in years (gotten too soft hearted, I guess) and have actually lost almost all interest in shooting. Still have a bunch of pistols and rifles, though.
Forgot to mention, I shoot Metallic Silhouette twice a week with a group of about 25-30 other guys, all of which are on Social Security and the avereage age of which is way North of 70!! Every one of them has an email address.

The OP seems to have the impression that folks over 70 belong in a nursing home. Hope this thread serves to educate him a little. wink
Ken Howell and Mickey were the 2 I knew of. Good to see that there are more! smile
Ya'll just keep celebrating your 40th Birthday over and over, that's what I am doing now. wink
Originally Posted by jnyork
The OP seems to have the impression that folks over 70 belong in a nursing home.

WRONG! I have two motives: (1) I am trying to inspire my buddy to get a computer and internet, and (2) I look forward to hunting for many years to come--for as long as I can find somebody to push my wheelchair into the woods. I was just wondering how many people are still hunting once they pass 70.
It would be an interesting "Sticky" type poll!

Age of campfire members in groups of 5 years or so, 15-20, 20-25, 25-30 and so on up to ready for the coffin.

That might be considered profiling though. grin

Phil
Be 70 on 28 Feb 2011, still shoot and teach NRA Pistol, Refuse to be a Victim and hold RSO cert., legs keep me from hunting any more. Still do some work in the S. O. Armory and a bit of pistolsmithing for friends.

Been known to sit behind a call and whack coyotes and keep a rifle handy around my daughters place for any wild hogs that make the mistake of wandering into range.
Be 75 my next birthday. Still hunt elk and deer, grouse and varmints. Fly fish for trout. Enjoy camping. Work 2 days per week plus a little more occasionally. This is with the Sheriff's Dept, not Walmart. Enjoy a nip of Scotch or Bourbon and an occasional good cigar. Attend several rodeos during the year. Enjoy time with family. Try to stay active. Life is good, beats the alternative.
Originally Posted by jnyork
� the impression that folks over 70 belong in a nursing home. Hope this thread serves to educate him a little. wink

I can't hunt any more, but age isn't the problem.
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Eighty come 19 January 2011. �

Rats!

Just looked at a new calendar � noticed that that date falls in the middle of the week.

Too bad!

If it were on a weekend, I'd hold an open house and invite y'all to a party.
I just turned 73 Nov 12, I tell everyone I'm 37 I mean I was born in 1937. Was out after those Pa whitetails this AM. Kotzy

Time shift it to the closest weekend.
Carol Anne's birth date � 7-7-'37 � has always been easy to remember.
Waders you happen to know another one that's reached the seven decade mark, will be 70 +1 next March and as far as Computers are concerned I've learned how to put garbage into a computer but never could figure out how to retrieve it and I wrote the program as I was a programmer & a systems analyst at one point in life over forty years ago.
Yeah, but Archie, Basic and Cobol don't count anymore. wink neither do those punch card code boards. grin
Class of 1938.

TT
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Yeah, but Archie, Basic and Cobol don't count anymore. wink neither do those punch card code boards. grin

That's funny! Remember this:

10 print "I am da Man!!"
20 goto 10

I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!

Ahhh...the good ol' days!

grin Don't miss them at all, writing code gets interesting now. shocked
My "kid" brothers will be 77 in February and 74 in January. Think I might remind 'em that they're old phardts. grin
71 this coming March! Don't shoot or hunt much anymore......AFTER DARK!! Usually can find me on my own range most any hour of the day or during hunting season....on stand somewhere south of the Canadian border and north of Gulf of Mexico! Shoot M1874 Sharps rifles with blackpowder, smokeless rifles, bowhunt, cast bullets, reload, elk hunt and no...I ain't quite ready to be patted in the face with a spade yet....Lord willing! I have 7 grandchildren that need teaching all this stuff I've learned and I intend to impart to them as much of it as I'm allowed to!

You're only as old as you make yourself out to be!!

Tell me about it we had two Burroughs computers a 2500 and a 3500 one was used for batch mode and the other on line and the one line one used the old cathode moniters and linotype data entry modules it was still in the stoneage era of computers but it was still above the old RCAs & IBMs which were pure binary programed.
How big of a room was that old systme in? shocked wink
Originally Posted by W7ACT
� we had two Burroughs computers a 2500 and a 3500 one was used for batch mode and the other on line and the one line one used the old cathode moniters and linotype data entry modules it was still in the stoneage era of computers but it was still above the old RCAs & IBMs which were pure binary programed.

At work (Saudia Flight Crew Ground Training Center, Jeddah), we plodded along with a slow, complicated, anemic old Canadian AES word-processer with eight-inch floppies.

At home, I got worlds more done, more easily, in less time, with WordStar on my 1983-vintage IBM with five-inch floppies.
Mom had an old wordstar that she used alot, that thing had the same 5 inch floppies, I'm betting she still has it stored away. Les
in a lot of cases one can still hunt regardless of age. Just requires adapting. I find turkey hunting to be of this variety, and so is dove hunting.
A bunch is going up north this weekend to hunt elk, most are either over 70 or close to it. they use a.t.v.'s to get around where the legs don't work so good anymore. I bought one specifically for this reason.
How big of a room was that old system in? shocked wink

About 30'x30' as there was two CPUs, two printers, two punch card readers, eight reel to reel tape drives and I can't remember how much memory in disc cabinets, but the tape drives took up one wall and the memory cabinets took up another wall and there was another room for storage of the tape reels. With all the cabling tying the network togeather power to the various units under a false floor and a massive aircoditioning system to deal with the heat generated from the system. I'm sure you have seen some of what I'm talking about in your travels around various military installations.

By today's standards it was really primitive, my lap top I'm typing this on is far more powerful and has much more storage than the whole system we had forty years ago and this laptop is already obsolete. We've come a long way in all these years, we never thought that there would be a computer in every household and that you could pick it up and take it with you. You can do with this lap top what it took you a whole room of equipment with another room of key punch operators to support the computer.
I am 76 will be 77 next Feb, don't hunt much anymore, but do still shoot at the club and trade a few here and there. Hunting confined to riding along in the jeep to a blind and sitting there, can't do the walking anymore.
Originally Posted by Waders
Just curious. I wouldn't expect that there are many people out there who are that old and interested in both computers and hunting/shooting. (I know a 72 yr old who still hunts, but won't go near a computer).

I know of at least two here; are there more?

Much to my surprise, I made it to seventy six November 25, Thanksgiving day. I don't hunt big game anymore, too much work when you whack one, but I enjoy shooting and getting out in the mountains for pretty long fishing hole walks whenever I can. Gotta admit that the Montana Beartooth mountains are much steeper than they used to be but walking the trails sure beats riding in a helicopter to look at 'em. I ain't ready to get old yet.
Several of you mentioned that you don't hunt anymore and a friend who just turned 73 has stopped hunting. He says he no longer has the blood lust although, I'm not sure that I'd equate blood lust to hunting.

Curious, how many of you have stopped hunting because it has become physically too dificult and how many because you have just lost the desire?
The physical thing just naturally enters in for a lot of people at much earlier ages but other conditions come into play, also. Since April of 1999, I have been butchered three times for cancer and had to do eight hours face down on the operating table while the Dr. overhauled my back. Took quite a while to get over that ordeal but I'm sure glad he did what he did.

God is great, not just good.
I'll be 71 this January, and am still fascinated by hunting. Here's where I hunt and what I hunt for.

Wyoming for deer, antelope, elk and PDs: Alaska for black bear: Montana for black bear, ground squirrel and rock chucks: British Columbia for moose: New Hampshire for moose(if I draw a tag):Pennsylvania for deer, black bear and ground hogs:Maryland for deer,ducks, geese, rabbits, squirrels, doves and ground hogs:Virginia for deer, squirrels and ground hogs:West Virginia for deer and squirrels: New Brunswick for black bear.

I suspect the two best indicators that I continue to be fascinated with hunting are that I'm still looking for new places to hunt and new rifles to buy.

But the best part is that I'm also now hunting with my grandchildren

Steve
I'll be 70 late next year. I feel younger, but the joints do hurt.
Age is only a state of mind. grin Even though I am, I don't "think 76."
I'm almost 70 & still work full time in my engineering & sales business. My mountain hunting days have been over due to arthritis. I still love to hunt & shoot. I just have to choose the hunts more carefully. Plan to return to Africa. I also do a lot of fishing & have a bass boat & the wife a pontoon. I have about 20 fish mounted & 30 big game mounts. I do a lot of volunteer work for both SCI & NRA. I run a turkey seminar each spring at NRA & chair the Wounded Warrior/Veterans Committee for the DC area. It's a pleasure to be in the company of heroes. I'm taking a young marine on a bear/deer hunt this week. Wife & I teach kids the Eddie Eagle gun safety program. Other than these activities I have nothing to do.
I turned 70 in March. Due to heart problems, I give out too easily to do any walking.

I try to spend a little time trying to finish some knives I started several years ago. I work until I get tired, which doesn't take long.

Sure would be fun to have an old farts hunt.
Originally Posted by Tracks
I'm eight months short. Still hunt, shoot ( AND RIDE MY HARLEY)

Slowing down a bit on the hill running, considering buying another bike.

grin Was really jealous for a minute, until read that second sentence and realize HARLEY was a danged ole motorcycle. GW frown

I'm still forking the Harley and enjoying it. Last year a few old farts (over 70's) and I did a run up the coast, eight days on the road. Only did a few hundred miles a day, no Iron Butt stuff, we were off the road every day by 5:00 PM firmly ensconced in upscale accommodations with a FULL BAR and good restaurant. Lot of laughs.
"Curious, how many of you have stopped hunting because it has become physically too dificult and how many because you have just lost the desire?"

For me, it has become physically too difficult. I would still like to go out.

The last 4 or 5 years I hunted, I hunted from stands. Before that, when I was able, I would get restless after about an hour and start exploring. Needless to say, I seldom saw a deer.

Then, during the 4 or 5 years I stayed put on the stand, I have seen more deer than in all the previous years of exploring combined.

For 30 or 40 years, I never, once turned down a legal deer. Even at that, I was not a very successful hunter.

Now, I just enjoy seeing them, whether I take a shot or not. I get as much kick out of watching, then letting walk, a dozen legal deer on a hunt as I enjoy taking one.

By legal, I mean either size or sex. Some areas are restricted to one or the other, and sometimes both.

One of the most enjoyable afternoons I have spent in the woods happened about 10 years ago.

For about 30 or 40 minutes I watched two six points sparing with each other, butting and chasing each other. I was not the only watcher. There were 6 wild turkeys taking in the show, as well.

Both bucks were legal, but the turkey's wern't. I didn't even consider taking either of the 6 points.

I'll be 70 Feb. 23, 2011. Still hunt, but I have 2 sons and a grandson that do all the heavy lifting. Did walk 5.5 miles opening day of mule deer season and 2.5 miles second day. Took me about 3 weeks to get over it with the help of a lot of Aleve. smile I still enjoy collecting guns , etc. I'll enjoy them while I'm stiil on top of the sod. When I'm gone I really don't care what they do with them grin............Dick
73 shoot hunt a little. chase girls a lot HEHE.
76 and still hard at it im heading out in a few minutes. already have used 3 of my deer tags. bow hunt in sept. muzzle hunt oct. rifle hunt nov. and dec.[ mostly with a sxs dr.
72 and leaving fo an elk hunt in a few days.
Paul B.
Been 70 since October. Spent my working years in the printing/graphic arts field, last 20 of which were using a Macintosh and various software programs some of which I wish I still had access to. Much enjoyment to be had when you're in control of photos, etc.

I deer hunt a few times a year but truly enjoy running rabbits with my beagle in the dead of winter. I shoot quite a bit and cast my own projectiles too. Latest deer kill was with a 444 Marlin and a 300 gr. home cast bullet designed by Ranch Dog.
im 73 been hunting since i was 8 yrs old, i run a 25000 acre hunting ranch in s.tex, and hunt and guide hunters for quail,deer, doves,pigs, i coyote hunt every day i can, ive hunted all over north amercia and some in south amercia, every summer i spend time p.dog shooting in wyo.every year we host 15-20 wounded warriors,for a 5 day deer,pig and quail hunt,and we have a great time with them,my 5 kids and 11 grand kids and 6 great grand kids all love the outdoors and are all shooters.the only thing that pi$$e$ me off is i dont have another life time to do it all again.got a new rifle this morning cant wait to shoot it. rio7
Will be 75 in June, 2011. Already booked for a moose hunt in Sept., 2011.

One of my hunting buddies is 76 and will be along next fall. Biggest problem is finding young hunters capable of dealing with a moose on the ground since we are barely capable anymore.

Jim
© 24hourcampfire