Home
I posted a wanted-to-buy ad for a Kimber Montana in the classifieds here. I've never purchased a firearm through an online transaction.

What is the "normal" protocol for both the buyer (me) and seller? Do I request an inspection period, pictures, a note from the person's mother attesting to their character, etc., or does it boil down to caveat emptor and hope to get a straight deal?

Anything I need to do on my end (besides the obvious - like not bouncing a check) to make it right by the seller?

Thanks.
Inspection period, yes request one if not stated.

I always ask for pictures although not every seller has the ability to post pictures.

Ask questions about item before making offer.

I always do a search of the sellers or buyers post here on the campfire to get a feel for the person I am dealing with.

I always include my cellphone number when I respond by Private Message.

If I am able will call the person on the other side of transaction.

Both sides should make shipping and fees crystal clear as soon as possible.

I am sure others will be chiming in before I get this posted.

Agreed about an inspection period and agreement on shipping costs.

FWIW, I just had one that did not meet the buyers standards, he was a gentleman about it and I will be refunding his full price & 1/2 the return shipping by mutual agreement. A mans reputation is worth more than a few bucks and a pizzing match on the internet IMHO.

Pictures to me are a must but I sometimes don't take enough or detailed enough.
I'll go along with the above comments. You can also go back and look at a person's post history to see if they have bought or sold other guns. If it is a fairly new member with no other transactions you could request going through an FFL on the seller end as well (with the buyer picking up the tab).
© 24hourcampfire