Home
I moved this here from Rimfire Leverguns in hopes of getting some feedback from folks that may not be looking in that forum - so.....

I REALLY dig my Marlin 1895G and 1894 and have started kicking around the idea of picking up a Marlin 39a Golden Mountie to go along with my two other favorites.

I've seen a couple newer ones and a couple older ones that looked like they might just fit the bill and would like to know what I might gain/loose by going with one vs the other. Thanks for any/all input!
I have one made in the 1970's, and love it.
[Linked Image]
I wouldn't buy the New One just because of the stupid cross bolt safety. I will take the older one myself.

[Linked Image]
I would want and have one made before the rebounding hammer was introduced in 83 or so. The "Mountie" was introduced in the mid 50's. I may be wrong, but I think it was discontinued before the rebounding hammer came into existence.
I believe the Marlin 39 levers have been in production longer than any other American firearm. Plenty of great used pre RH/crossbolt safety guns available.
Didn't much care for the crossbolt safety when first came either out either.

But..........., have grown to like it due too watching some empty their magazine.
Does the 39a have any feeding issues?
Nope, I've never had a feeding issue with mine. I've got a mid-60's era 39A and I also bought the newly manufactured version for my youngest son. For a little variety, I bought a 9422 for the oldest son...

The new one is a nice gun, but I've never fired it and it is waiting in the back of the safe until he is old enough for it. SO, I can't really comment on it much other than it does have the safety and the rebounding hammer (I wish it didn't).

Mine is slicker than snot, and I'm a little more fond of the looks and feel of my older version over the new version. The wood is slimmer in the stock and fore end on mine than it is on the new one. And, it's not checkered.
Originally Posted by 700LH
I would want and have one made before the rebounding hammer was introduced in 83 or so. The "Mountie" was introduced in the mid 50's. I may be wrong, but I think it was discontinued before the rebounding hammer came into existence.

Thanks 700LH. I gave an "I'll take it" on an older model today. It looks a lot like that fine example in Mannlicher's pic..... cool
You want be disappointed with a 39A Mountie. They were discontinued before the rebounding hammer and cross bolt saftey came along. You already have other Marlin lever-actions but, get ready to start looking for more 39's as one will not be enough to scrath the itch.
Tim

Oh and pictures are in order when this Mountie arrives.
Originally Posted by Glock2240
Oh and pictures are in order when this Mountie arrives.

Deal......and I'll even try and make 'em range pics!! grin
Originally Posted by bea175
I wouldn't buy the New One just because of the stupid cross bolt safety. I will take the older one myself.

[Linked Image]
Very nice. Looks like a couple I've owned. Wish I had one now, but the 94-22 will just have to do.
Yep we wanna see pictures.

This one is my third or fourth. I finally found one made the year i was born. It isn't the prettiest but she shoots functions great.

Only feeding problem's I have ever had was a broken guide spring. About a $6 part from Brownells that takes about 5 minutes to fix.
Originally Posted by 700LH
Yep we wanna see pictures.

first blood.
[Linked Image]
sending you a copy of this book. Congratulations on help thin out the herd of feral cats...........that one WAS feral, right? laugh
[Linked Image]
Well, I read this article and decided that 'issues' were not worth dealing with.........grin

http://www.pawnation.com/2010/12/10/caring-for-your-aging-cat-9-common-issues-you-should-know-abou/?icid=main|main|dl5|sec1_lnk3|189369

He was 'aging' all right, geting older by the second, as he he was snucking up on the pheasant pens.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have one made in the 1970's, and love it.
[Linked Image]

What kinda scope do you have mounted there? Looks like a Leupold. Is it a fixed power or variable?
I have the Golden 39A, late 60's early 70's. I like the style better than the Mountie but other than the stock I think they're are about the same.
Classic 22, still being made 100 years after they first came out. Great shooter, no feed problems for mine.
[Linked Image]
Mine isn't a mountie, but the standard 39a. I purchased it new, in 1974. It's never seen a gunsmith. No feeding issues, no crossbolt safety. Prolly has killed over 500 squirrels, and a lot of other vermin. I wouldn't want a new one. My old one will see me to when I don't need a gun, anymore.

maddog
Here's some "pre-pics" from the ad...
[Linked Image]

According to the ad, my gun's serial number is around 18,2xx,xxx which he stated was from 1982. After looking at these pics, I have a couple questions....

My gun has a black trigger but some have a gold trigger. Is there a difference other than the color?

[Linked Image]

I noticed mine looks to have more screws/holes in the receiver that some other models. Why is that?

[Linked Image]
I'm a fan................

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by bea175
[Linked Image]

I don't shoot well with regular iron sights and like the looks of that rear peep. What kind is it and how do you like it? Also, how well does it work in the early morning or late evening?
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'm a fan................

[Linked Image]

Dialin' dope on a 39A - that's classic. I'd like to see that in action, especially with the shorts!!
The CB Short Tourney,is held in high esteem in these parts...............
Your's has the same hole pattern on the right side of the receiver as mine. Extra holes I think are for a peep sight.
Your trigger should be gold, on your barrel it's marked Golden 39M, the Golden stands for a gold trigger, a regular 39A or 39M has a black trigger.
Still looks like a nice one.
I've a few more and some familiarity...................(grin)
I just got a 1969 Golden 39 A recently haven`t shot it yet but I hear they are good shooters.
I keep calling mine a 39A but it's actually a Golden 39M (guessing that's for Mountie).

The one I've picked up ('82) doesn't have the safety and it looks they made this version up to around 1987. In the book that was referenced, it didn't say anything about a gold trigger so I take it mine just came with the standard black trigger but I could be wrong.
Originally Posted by Nebraska
I keep calling mine a 39A but it's actually a Golden 39M (guessing that's for Mountie).

The one I've picked up ('82) doesn't have the safety and it looks they made this version up to around 1987. In the book that was referenced, it didn't say anything about a gold trigger so I take it mine just came with the standard black trigger but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure about the when, where, and if on the black trigger. But the differences on the 39A Mountie and the 39M are the Mountie has a heavier barrel, the lever on the Mountie is rounded, and the stock is different.
I had a 39M that I recently gave to my grandson that had a Lyman peep sight, and would take prairie dogs at 100 yards without incedent.
Tim
I saw a nickel plated Marlin 39 yesterday, didnt know they
made one.
Originally Posted by Jericho
I saw a nickel plated Marlin 39 yesterday, didnt know they
made one.

Was it for sale?

Tim
Love the older M39A rifles. Put a aperture sight on and they are a natural small game rifle...

[Linked Image]
I've said this one here too many times, but my 1960 39A Mountie with Redfield 70 and sourdough insert is the absolute last 22 I would ever let go. It might be the last rifle I would ever let go. Completely stock except for a trigger job.
Nebraska, I've got two 39M's made in 1982 and they both have the black trigger. Some years had the black trigger instead of the gold trigger. Another 39M I own, made in 1976, has the gold trigger. Those screws on the top of the receiver are identical to those on my 39M's. Your rifle is, however, missing the front sight hood. The correct replacement would be one with a flattened appearance. Nice rifle! smile
I have one. My father ordered this special edition rifle back in the 1960's when I was a kid and I know it took him MONTHS to get this rifle. As you can see by the photo, the stock is very unique and after researching this rifle online, I have yet to see one.

[Linked Image]
Marlin Golden 39-A Mountie by M-I-C-H-E-L-E, on Flickr

Nice rifle, but you do realize this thread is over a year old? Not that it matters any.
Michelle, welcome to 24hrcf, do hang around a bit!

And that is one GORGEOUS rifle there.
Welcome, Michele,

Thanks for sharing that picture. This thread was worth resurrecting.

My M-39A was made in 1949, has the blued trigger and Ballard rifling (pre Micro-Groove, introduced in 1954). I have a Lyman rear peep and a Williams red Firesight front sight. The action is very smooth and has never had any problems. It is one of my favorite rifles.
Sooo, a Mountie is not a 39M?

My dad has the short barreled takedown with the floating padded case. It has the crossbolt safety. We always called it a Mountie, but I guess that is incorrect?

Travis

Here's my golden. It has the dreaded rebounding hammer and ultra gay crossbolt safety but I still really like the rifle. I have Ghost X-ring sights on it.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by deflave
Sooo, a Mountie is not a 39M?

My dad has the short barreled takedown with the floating padded case. It has the crossbolt safety. We always called it a Mountie, but I guess that is incorrect?

Travis

I'm guessing that is the 39TDS, a LOT more rare than a mountie, ESPECIALLY if you still have that case. 16in barrel, IIRC, I've never actually seen one.
You're right TAK. It is the 16" barrel. He still has the case, box, paperwork, receipt from the original Gander Mountain by Kenosha...

My ol' man is a little more squared away than I am... grin

Travis
Originally Posted by Michele720
I have one. My father ordered this special edition rifle back in the 1960's when I was a kid and I know it took him MONTHS to get this rifle. As you can see by the photo, the stock is very unique and after researching this rifle online, I have yet to see one.

[Linked Image]

Welcome to the Campfire Michele. The rifle you have pictured should have a "T" prefixed SN, indicating a manufacture date of 1960. It is a Limited Edition model that Marlin named the 90th Anniversary Models made that year. There were 500 of the Mountie and 39A Rifle versions made. List price was $79.01. 20 dollars more than the standard models. I hope this info. helps you appreciate; the rife your father purchased for you, even more.

Tim
Originally Posted by Michele720

[Linked Image]

That is a real BEAUTY!!! Definitely the best looking 39A I've ever laid eyes on.... smile
© 24hourcampfire