Home
Posted By: derby_dude Survival Scenarios.... - 12/22/10
Redneck has got me to thinking of survival scenarios. Here's the four that I've thought about off and on.

1. The caveman survival scenario. This scenario envisions the total break down of all civilization due to some super catastrophic event such as a giant asteroid hitting earth or total nuclear winter. Personally, I don't think I would ever survive such an event so I haven't given this scenario much thought.

2. The hermit mountain man survival scenario. This scenario envisions a person or family living off the government grid and living a life style similar to a 18th or early 19th century. I gave this scenario some serious consideration when I was a real young adult but I soon realized that this was a romantic notion that didn't live up to the romance. I did look into the type of weapons for this scenario that would work. Muzzle loading flintlocks and long bows.

3. The short term catastrophic event scenario. This scenario envisions a temporary event such as a giant snow storm, earthquake, hurricane, tornado, etc. The survivalist here is primarily concerned with self-defense against looters and other two-legged predators. Here semi-autos would be best or a pump shotgun.

4. The Great Depression event scenario. This scenario envisions a partial collapse of the national government due to bankruptcy. It is assumed that if one is truly a survivalist and worried about this scenario that one is living in a rural area with some land put aside along with other items for survival. Here a semi-auto rifle and hand gun for self-defense against looters and other two-legged predators and a center fired rifle and .22lr rifle for putting food on the table.

I am often asked or at least was in the past when I was younger what types of weapons to buy for survival. My answer was also determine the survival scenario you think most likely to happen and than choose the best weapons for that survival scenario.

Do you guys have any other survival scenarios to share and the types of weapons that might work?
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/22/10
You and TRH's survival on this forum are remarkable achievments and certainly qualify you as a "survival expert" .grin
Posted By: derby_dude Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/22/10
Originally Posted by curdog4570
You and TRH's survival on this forum are remarkable achievments and certainly qualify you as a "survival expert" .grin

You may have a point there. grin
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/22/10
You forgot zombies. Gotta have a good zombie gun!
Posted By: Tracks Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/22/10
Mine is getting with neighbors and working for common defense and survival.
Sharing assets and working together. Seems like that solution has always worked.
Weapons would be what we have, and on my particular block that comes to a bunch.
Bolt action hunting rifles, simi autos with hi cap mags, rimfires, and shotguns. Ammo counted in thousands of rounds.
One local house has a well, there are reasonable supplies of fire wood and propane cylinders, I personally have several months of food and I know for a fact that the folks next door could live for a year on what they have. I assume some others have stocks in some amount
Looters come around here and we will take what they have instead of losing our stuff.
Posted By: SteveG Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/22/10
"A man can never have too many books, too much red wine, or too much ammunition".
After that, a decent store of dehydrated, vacuum packed, or otherwise preserved food to last a year or two. Plenty of firewood and several water sources is also good. If you've got a roof full of solar panels, you'd be set. Read and watch DVD's while waiting for the intruder alarm to go off. :-)
Posted By: KSMITH Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/22/10
Doesn't matter, I will just take your schitt. Bomb shelter or not, your schitt will become my schitt... laugh
Posted By: isaac Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/22/10
I am often asked or at least was in the past when I was younger what types of weapons to buy for survival.
=============

I barely survived after reading that major crock of schit!
If we experience anything like another Great Depression, it's going to be much worse than the last time. Several factors: 1) Back then most people were rural and relatively self-sufficient (i.e., didn't depend on a functioning infrastructure), while today most people are non-rural, and very few (even among the rural) today have the skills to be self-sufficient to any degree, 2) Lack of community cohesion compared to back then, and 3) back then most folks had basic Christian values deeply ingrained in them, while today most do not, as Christian values have largely been expunged from popular culture by the left.
Posted By: FlaRick Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/22/10
Folks today would think that the world had come to an end if they had to live the way an average American with a job lived in the 1930's. Hell, our "poor" folks today have multiple bedroom homes or apartments, indoor plumbing, central air and heating, flat screen tv's, cable, internet, cell phones, food stamps, school meals, etc. all courtesy of public welfare. Only in America are desperately poor people fat. Take away the goodies and there will be blood in the streets. The best survival strategy is to live a good distance away from the major metro areas.
Originally Posted by FlaRick
Folks today would think that the world had come to an end if they had to live the way an average American with a job lived in the 1930's. Hell, our "poor" folks today have multiple bedroom homes or apartments, indoor plumbing, central air and heating, flat screen tv's, cable, internet, cell phones, food stamps, school meals, etc. all courtesy of public welfare. Only in America are desperately poor people fat. Take away the goodies and there will be blood in the streets. The best survival strategy is to live a good distance away from the major metro areas.
No major metro areas near me, unless you consider Gainesville one, but that's a small college town, and I'm about thirty miles away from that, and live in a one traffic light rural town.
Posted By: FlaRick Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/22/10
Sounds like one of the 301 speed trap towns.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
Where we live (daughters place) and the nearby neighbors we will be fine. A few head of cattle, some chickens, a pond, deep and shallow wells (yes Virginia sulfur water is OK to drink) and a BIG propane tank. We will be OK including the plus I was a working Paramedic for many moons and wife is a RN. Guns we have but they do not play that big a role in our plans, the fact we have food & water plus good shelter in a relatively out of the way place is our plan.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
No major metro areas near me, unless you consider Gainesville one, but that's a small college town, and I'm about thirty miles away from that, and live in a one traffic light rural town.

Your hood already is bad enough. wink
Posted By: bcp Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
I don't worry about it. The government will take care of me. That's what they are there for. crazy

Posted By: Steve_NO Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Redneck has got me to thinking of survival scenarios. Here's the four that I've thought about off and on.

1. The caveman survival scenario. This scenario envisions the total break down of all civilization due to some super catastrophic event such as a giant asteroid hitting earth or total nuclear winter. Personally, I don't think I would ever survive such an event so I haven't given this scenario much thought.

2. The hermit mountain man survival scenario. This scenario envisions a person or family living off the government grid and living a life style similar to a 18th or early 19th century. I gave this scenario some serious consideration when I was a real young adult but I soon realized that this was a romantic notion that didn't live up to the romance. I did look into the type of weapons for this scenario that would work. Muzzle loading flintlocks and long bows.

3. The short term catastrophic event scenario. This scenario envisions a temporary event such as a giant snow storm, earthquake, hurricane, tornado, etc. The survivalist here is primarily concerned with self-defense against looters and other two-legged predators. Here semi-autos would be best or a pump shotgun.

4. The Great Depression event scenario. This scenario envisions a partial collapse of the national government due to bankruptcy. It is assumed that if one is truly a survivalist and worried about this scenario that one is living in a rural area with some land put aside along with other items for survival. Here a semi-auto rifle and hand gun for self-defense against looters and other two-legged predators and a center fired rifle and .22lr rifle for putting food on the table.

I am often asked or at least was in the past when I was younger what types of weapons to buy for survival. My answer was also determine the survival scenario you think most likely to happen and than choose the best weapons for that survival scenario.

Do you guys have any other survival scenarios to share and the types of weapons that might work?

I'll take number 3 for 200, Alex.
Originally Posted by T LEE
Where we live (daughters place) and the nearby neighbors we will be fine. A few head of cattle, some chickens, a pond, deep and shallow wells (yes Virginia sulfur water is OK to drink) and a BIG propane tank. We will be OK including the plus I was a working Paramedic for many moons and wife is a RN. Guns we have but they do not play that big a role in our plans, the fact we have food & water plus good shelter in a relatively out of the way place is our plan.

Yeah, but you're screwed if all your cats revolt. wink
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
Originally Posted by KSMITH
Doesn't matter, I will just take your schitt. Bomb shelter or not, your schitt will become my schitt... laugh

You make big assumptions, don't you
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
i was watching some mel gibson movie the other day after some big boom happened, that is his and his son, i think it was called the road.
first think occured to me was how well everybody else was armed and he had two rounds in a .38.
the other thing is i believe it would be good above all else to have a group of like minded people of good heart to band together.
A wolf by himself is one thing, but a pack is another.
I have also encouraged sharing and helping one another.
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Your hood already is bad enough. wink
Not my hood, but the neighboring hood. Things break down and our hood would likely be on armed lock down.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10

I've been thinking about a "zombie take over the world scenario." How would I harden my house to repel the zombies? What would I need in terms of weapons and ammo? Would food be available or should I stock up on canned goods and gasonline?

Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
Survival scenarios! Now there is a subject for discussion.

I'll be brief though. Most of the 'preppers' I know, are not disaster specific. Instead, they live their lives prudently, frugally, and with an eye to keeping one step ahead of life.

This means maintaining your health and body, keeping adequate supplies of food, water, gear, fuel............. in short having enough of the basics of life to sustain life.

Weapons probably get discussed more than food preps, or your financial preps, but heck, guns are fun. I believe that my modest preparations in that regard are sound, well thought out, and more than sufficient.

Here is one little grouping that I was considering the other day. My Quality Hardware USGI .30 Carbine, my Springfield 1911-A1, and my KBAR.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rob p Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
I have a friend who was a green beret and taught winter survival to special forces in the wild woods of Maine. He said the soldiers would come and go, while he just stayed out there. He could have had all the comforts of home, but would only indulge in one. A cast iron frying pan! He said " to heck with the weight, I would take that pan with me everywhere." He's a really nice guy. Partially mad, mind you, but very nice. He's got a German Mauser and a long bow he hunts with. He's 70 plus and still gets his deer every year.
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Yeah, but you're screwed if all your cats revolt. wink

This is very true! smile smile smile
Posted By: FlaRick Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
Originally Posted by bcp
I don't worry about it. The government will take care of me. That's what they are there for. crazy

Yep, we can all sit on our roofs a cry and wail if Obama doesn't rescue us immediately. He'll be on it day one!
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

I'll take number 3 for 200, Alex.

I bet you'll get that 200, too!
While we're on the subject, it appears that, when things sort out after a #3, people end up going to jail for things they did during it. So, don't lose sight of the fact that order will be returned someday, and some people may be asking questions.
as some former NOPD members found out last week.
Yep.
and Africk is really going to drop the hammer on them at sentencing.
"Guns we have but they do not play that big a role in our plans,"

Yup, I'm of the same mind set....haven't heard a DAMNED thing about Non-Hybrid seed here,.....either

However,.......

"Doesn't matter, I will just take your schitt. Bomb shelter or not, your schitt will become my schitt... laugh"

....if you are indeed serious,....I'll be adding YOUR arm and ammo to my more then sufficient store of same.

Ron's call out, "the other thing is i believe it would be good above all else to have a group of like minded people of good heart to band together.
I have also encouraged sharing and helping one another."

....all I can say is Semper DesertRatUS !

Tee-Heh-Heh

GTC
Posted By: Armednfree Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
question one, is that worth surviving in? Life is not worth living if it must be done in misery. If I knew a nuclear exchange ws coming, I'd stand outside to give a good look
.haven't heard a DAMNED thing about Non-Hybrid seed here,.....either

Should have mentioned it but it slipped my mind, daughter grows a bunch of greens and veggies and we have some generic citrus trees and even grow old fashioned seeded watermelons & Strawberries.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I'll be brief though. Most of the 'preppers' I know, are not disaster specific. Instead, they live their lives prudently, frugally, and with an eye to keeping one step ahead of life.

This means maintaining your health and body, keeping adequate supplies of food, water, gear, fuel............. in short having enough of the basics of life to sustain life.

Weapons probably get discussed more than food preps, or your financial preps, but heck, guns are fun. I believe that my modest preparations in that regard are sound, well thought out, and more than sufficient.

Here is one little grouping that I was considering the other day. My Quality Hardware USGI .30 Carbine, my Springfield 1911-A1, and my KBAR.
[Linked Image]
Classic combo. Love it.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
Originally Posted by 444Matt
You forgot zombies. Gotta have a good zombie gun!

And a carnivorous, reptilian alien rifle...
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
You would have to band together with good neighbors to survive. One well armed and fed family won't be able to hold off a crowd of starving people. At least not for more than a few occasions.

Crossfire, get yourself plenty of dry beans. None of them are hybrids. For a small investment, say $100 dollars, you could have ten years worth of the latest disease resistant hybrid seeds. That would be many more times useful than a bunch of old heirloom varieties that are susceptible to diseases and low in yield.
Posted By: derby_dude Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

[Linked Image]

My kind of guy. Your weapon choice would be my way of thinking as well especially for numbers 3 and 4.
Posted By: derby_dude Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
Originally Posted by crosshair
question one, is that worth surviving in? Life is not worth living if it must be done in misery. If I knew a nuclear exchange ws coming, I'd stand outside to give a good look

For number 1 that's the way I look at it to.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
most survival situations will come down to coming in at 4:00 a.m. with lipstick on your collar and you smelling like perfume.

if you can survive that, what's a little nuclear fallout?
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
If you don't think you'll survive you're probably right.

Tools, seeds, guns, short ropes and tall horses....grim Christmas but maybe better days ahead. Don't fergit the whiskey for medicinal purposes.
Posted By: Monkey_Joe Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
I think Gus's leadership and guidance is sorely needed here.

Or his crack pipe.

Choice of weapon isn't that important. As folks above have mentioned, the people around us are. I don't care how bad you are, you gotta sleep some time.

Water. Food. Bullets. And shelter.

I kinda laugh at the guys I see talking about hording precious metals and such for the end times. Hint - you ain't gonna live long enough for that to pay off. If sch-stuff really gets that bad.

Really worried about being prepared - regular trips to the dentist. Then water. Food. Shelter. Bullets.

Posted By: Bristoe Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
I can now relate to that old dude who refused to move away from Mt St Helens.

I'll just make my stand here.

If it gets to the point that I have to go off in the woods and spend my golden years living like Fred fuggin' Flintstone,...well,...it's pretty much over, anyway.
Posted By: Monkey_Joe Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
Not me, buddy. I'm callin the dentist tomorrow! laugh
Posted By: rattler Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
Originally Posted by BeanMan
You would have to band together with good neighbors to survive. One well armed and fed family won't be able to hold off a crowd of starving people. At least not for more than a few occasions.

Crossfire, get yourself plenty of dry beans. None of them are hybrids. For a small investment, say $100 dollars, you could have ten years worth of the latest disease resistant hybrid seeds. That would be many more times useful than a bunch of old heirloom varieties that are susceptible to diseases and low in yield.

i would rather have the open pollenated heirloom varieties in this case.....heirloom varieties are quite useful, especially if they are heirlooms native to your area.....most the problems with heirlooms come when you want to grow them outside their comfort zone.....an heirloom variety that thrives in hot humid or cool humid summers wont do very well here, one that does great in low humidity and matures quick will.....

ive grown heirloom varieties that will produce with the newest hybrid.....and heirlooms are generally pretty hardy to the pests and diseases where they were developed, if they werent they wouldnt have survived this long....rather deal with a proven in my garden heirloom than a new hybrid...
Posted By: Otter Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
most survival situations will come down to coming in at 4:00 a.m. with lipstick on your collar and you smelling like perfume.

if you can survive that, what's a little nuclear fallout?

Was asked once upon a time if I ever worried about living relatively close to SAC - about 90 miles away (during the "cold war"/bad ruskies days). I said "Nope." - "What ya goin to do if they drop a nuke on SAC?" - "Go out to the back yard and stare towards Bellevue and see how high the mushroom gets before the blast hits me." They looked at me like I was crazy.
Posted By: JoeMama Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
First rule for getting un-lost: Stop and take a deep breath.

A supply of food, a source of water, multiple ways to repel the barbarians. The world might look much better two months after the triggering event.

Survival scenarios are a come-as-you are party. At this time we only have a Marlin 60 22lr and a muzzle loader in the house. One of my children was diagnosed as suffering from Major Depression and it seemed prudent to move most of the guns off-site. A 12 gauge is living at my next door neighbor's. The main body of the arsenal is secured at my brother's house, some 15 miles away.

Hot survival tip of the day: A 5 gallon bucket will hold 20 pounds of rice, 4 pounds of lentils (or split peas or beans) and three liters of vegetable oil. That is enough calories to last an adult a bit more than three weeks. Throw in a few road kills, starlings, garden-greens and other findings and you can stretch it out for a month. Two buckets per person will buy you two months of breathing room.

-Joe
Posted By: lhonda Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10
Originally Posted by isaac
I am often asked or at least was in the past when I was younger what types of weapons to buy for survival.
=============

I barely survived after reading that major crock of schit!

Holy shyte. 9.7! between you, B and SNO, I've been all a-giggle reading along here tonight. Fred Flintstone? 'Tanks, boys.

wink grin

Posted By: Bulletbutt Re: Survival Scenarios.... - 12/23/10

2. The hermit mountain man survival scenario. This scenario envisions a person or family living off the government grid and living a life style similar to a 18th or early 19th century. I gave this scenario some serious consideration when I was a real young adult but I soon realized that this was a romantic notion that didn't live up to the romance. I did look into the type of weapons for this scenario that would work. Muzzle loading flintlocks and long bows. Personally, I don't think I would ever survive such an event so I haven't given this scenario much thought.

3. The short term catastrophic event scenario. This scenario envisions a temporary event such as a giant snow storm, earthquake, hurricane, tornado, etc. The survivalist here is primarily concerned with self-defense against looters and other two-legged predators. Here semi-autos would be best or a pump shotgun. Personally, I don't think I would ever survive such an event so I haven't given this scenario much thought.

4. The Great Depression event scenario. This scenario envisions a partial collapse of the national government due to bankruptcy. It is assumed that if one is truly a survivalist and worried about this scenario that one is living in a rural area with some land put aside along with other items for survival. Here a semi-auto rifle and hand gun for self-defense against looters and other two-legged predators and a center fired rifle and .22lr rifle for putting food on the table. Personally, I don't think I would ever survive such an event so I haven't given this scenario much thought.

I am often asked or at least was in the past when I was younger what types of weapons to buy for survival. My answer was also determine the survival scenario you think most likely to happen and than choose the best weapons for that survival scenario. Personally, I don't think I would ever survive such an event so I haven't given this scenario much thought.

Fixed it for ya. smile
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
"Guns we have but they do not play that big a role in our plans,"

Yup, I'm of the same mind set....haven't heard a DAMNED thing about Non-Hybrid seed here,.....either

However,.......

"Doesn't matter, I will just take your schitt. Bomb shelter or not, your schitt will become my schitt... laugh"

....if you are indeed serious,....I'll be adding YOUR arm and ammo to my more then sufficient store of same.

Ron's call out, "the other thing is i believe it would be good above all else to have a group of like minded people of good heart to band together.
I have also encouraged sharing and helping one another."

....all I can say is Semper DesertRatUS !

Tee-Heh-Heh

GTC
Lots of those survival gurus tout open-pollinated varieties. They will have for sale these cans that are supposed to be good for like, twenty years and you can set 'em back and use 'em if necessary. I grow a big garden many years and got pretty frisky this year. I got a bunch of Heirlooms and they failed miserably. Many were already started too, as there is a Nursery Chain in Kansas City that has a lot of that stuff.

Point-being, a person needs not only to have the equipment/supplies, but be familiar with it too. I'll make another go next year with the open-pollinated seeds.
© 24hourcampfire