Home
How many times have y'all read a crime report, and the perp's Mother says "he was such a good Christian boy........"
link to story
Hazel Yoachum remained in disbelief Tuesday after the 4 a.m. knock on her door.

It was the police letting her know her son � a 20-year-old she figured to be a good kid � was dead from police gunfire.

Mark Stephen Yoachum Jr. was identified as a suspect in an armed robbery hours before at the Family Dollar store on Chaffee Point Boulevard in Jacksonville�s Westside. Police said he wore a mask, menaced customers with a gun, then made a break for it in a stolen car.

Chief John Hartley said Yoachum crashed the car in a ditch on Bulls Bay Highway. He ran amid a full-blown search as police helicopters and dogs tracked him to the 8200 block of Oregon Street, where he was shot and killed.

Police said Yoachum fired at officers and killed a police dog, a nearly five-year veteran named Sarge, during an exchange of gunfire.

Hartley said it was not clear who fired the first shot.

Hazel Yoachum said she wants answers.

�We could not believe what we had heard, that he was involved in anything like that,� she said. �It was definitely not the person we knew. We don�t know what happened. We were always a close family, a loving family and a church-going family.�

Hazel Yoachum said her son, who was known to many by his middle name, Stephen, was home-schooled and attended Promise Land Baptist Church on Blair Road.

He did odd jobs and landscaping to get by, but she said she�s stunned to think he�d ever resort to crime. Duval County court records show nothing more serious than traffic tickets, but Florida Department of Law Enforcement records show Yoachum registered as a felon in Jacksonville in April 2009. He had to do so because of a 2008 burglary charge in Georgia, police said.

�The boy we knew was totally different,� Yoachum said.
It's a defense mechanism, what would you expect them to say, "my boy is such a punk, we knew it was only a matter of time?".
After reading many posts on this site alone and the number of people in denial this is easy to believe.
You'd expect them to know?

There are a lot of things my parents were the last to know, things my mom went to her grave not knowing and likely my dad will too. Better for them, better for me.

And I was not a "bad" kid. Just interpreted the rules as I felt appropriate.

It'd be more interesting to hear what siblings say. They tend to be a lot more 'in the know'.

Tom
Originally Posted by T_O_M
You'd expect them to know?

There are a lot of things my parents were the last to know, things my mom went to her grave not knowing and likely my dad will too. Better for them, better for me.

And I was not a "bad" kid. Just interpreted the rules as I felt appropriate.

It'd be more interesting to hear what siblings say. They tend to be a lot more 'in the know'.

Tom

Hell my mom still thinks I was a good kid...thank God the old man could see through it.
A mother's love is blind. Well, usually!
i about ruptured a kidney laughing on my 16th birthday when my loving grandma said to me... "sweet 16 and never been kissed?"

i know i wasnt married and all, but that struck me as pretty funny considering what i got for my birthday from my girlfriend... whistle
And Father's too.
Originally Posted by Sassy

Obviously in your case, but we understand.
That's a damned shame about the dog.

GTC
Yes mothers are really that stupid!
I have called Mothers in the middle of the night to tell them that I chased "Little Johnny" all through the city on foot just to tackle him and have a pistol and a bag of dope fly out of his waistband...
The Mothers response..."It couldn't have been his!"
Many children have a Jekyll and Hyde personality. My brother was like that, at home he was a pretty good kid away from home, look out.
Aren't most boys like that?
I think a lot of kids go thru a wild side in late teens and early 20's, at least a lot I knew did and I did myself.

it sure wasn't for lack of tryin by my folks to instill right and wrong. I just flat wanted to do some wrong and did.

my guess is as a few others have related here, a lot of parents of good folks on the 'fire would be surprised if they knew what activities some of you did as a late teen early adult.
Originally Posted by RAS2
Aren't most boys like that?

I don't know. I wasn't like that.
Wooops
Originally Posted by Monkey_Joe
Wooops

Whats whoops mean? Anything in particular?
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Sassy

Obviously in your case, but we understand.

grin grin grin
Seeing as many mothers today do little more than hatch an egg I'm not suprised that they would be so fooled.

However I would like to hear some one once say the little turd had it coming.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
How many times have y'all read a crime report, and the perp's Mother says "he was such a good Christian boy....
Zillions..
The mother is ignorant of her sons' real behavior and the son is dumb enough to think robbing a dollar store is a worthwhile goal. Sounds like he took after his mother, brainpower wise.
It's the standard line for them to use for the media so that Sharpton and Jackson can marshall the troops to protest against the racist police! Too bad he killed the dog before they made him worm food..
Some more Obama voter society >"success stories"...
He aspired to be worm food and succeeded. Nothing unusual these days.
One of our SROs used to have a huge sign hanging on the wall behind his desk. It read, "My Child would NEVER Lie to Me". It stopped a lot of conversations before they started.

Anyone who would utter those words is a Liar, A fool, or both.

Alan
still no one has mentioned the fact of the 100 to one odds, that the perp and family are Afro Americans...

of course liberals would call us racists for assuming something that obvious...on the other hand if he was white they'd be blasting that with some derogatory remarks after southern trailer park white trash....
if y'all will click the link to the story, you will see the lad's picture. He appears to be Lilly white trailer trash to me. laugh
Originally Posted by Barkoff
It's a defense mechanism, what would you expect them to say, "my boy is such a punk, we knew it was only a matter of time?".

In my years as a LEO I got a response similar to this on numerous occasions when delivering death notifications to families of morons who managed to get themselves killed doing stupid stuff. I always cracked up after getting out of the presence of family members of the deceased.
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Oh I don't know heard one say "That's my boy Ex-lax ain't he the shats"
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
That's a damned shame about the dog.

GTC

My thoughts, Exactly!

Where is the poor dog's momma?
"Mark Stephen Yoachum Jr. was identified as a suspect in an armed robbery hours before at the Family Dollar store on Chaffee Point Boulevard in Jacksonville�s Westside."

Not much good comes outta Jacksonville's west side, it's a typical boiling cauldron of the professional welfare society.

The life style of a local punk isn't that of a "good Christian boy" so his mother may not have known just how bad he was but she sure as He77 had to know he was no good.
How bright can one be to stick up the Dollar Store?
How bright can one be to stick up the Dollar Store?

When I was in the grocery biz we had a bag boy get fired for shoplifting from the meat case. Was he stealing filet mignon? No, IIRC it was necks and gizzards.
Good boy?? An enforcer for one our our local street gangs, who was known for his savagery, was killed literally at high noon at the intersection in a residential(HOOD) area. The first officer on scene told me the vultures came out and stripped the body of all its gold,including the gold tooth sheaths. Nice. Next thing good ol' Ma goes on the tube for the local trash talkers cryin' about whut a good boy he wuz. Investigation incident to the murder was interesting. Mom had a public housing apartment with brandy new high end furniture,fantastic entertainment center,plush carpets...the whole gamut of goodies, ALL supplied by her "good boy" who was..*GASP* unemployed. It seems that when someone prospers on the criminal activity of another, they ARE angry when they get offed. After all,now the gravy train is gonna end.
By their standards, perhaps he was indeed a pillar of society.
I'm surprised the parents didn't blame the public school system!

Around here, it's usually the first thing blamed by the parents of miscreants.

"If only the school system had done it's job" they say.

Never any mention of the real cause of almost all wayward youth - PPP.

PPP?

Piss Poor Parenting

LOVE is blind --- has so many meanings - for so many different people. A mothers love -is high on that list!
© 24hourcampfire