Home
Posted By: Teal Hornady vs RCBS - 01/08/11
My last reloading set up got lost somewhere in my last PCS (damned if I can find it). So I'm looking to replace.

I had a Rockchucker kit, like many I suppose, and am shopping for a replacement. Was looking at the Hornady set up/kit.

Was wondering if folks had a reason they could give me to chose one over the other? I know RCBS has a stellar rep for CS (never used it myself) and I like the idea of an electronic scale that's in the Hornady set up. Plus their powder measure looks to be better than the RCBS set up.

Anyone?
Posted By: Teal Re: Hornady vs RCBS - 01/08/11
Primarily reload rifle ammo - no high volume pistol or anything so I really have no use for a progressive press either.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Hornady vs RCBS - 01/08/11
They are both very high quality machines/kits. Pick the one with the items you most like and at the best price; you can't go wrong.
Posted By: jim62 Re: Hornady vs RCBS - 01/08/11
I saw somewhere that RCBS is running rebate program- $50 off a $300 or more purchase..

Other than that, both companies make excellent stuff.

Lee also makes a nice cast-iron "classic" press as well.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Hornady vs RCBS - 01/08/11
As for dies, I like RCBS better than Hornady. I do believe the rest of the equipment(press, scales, ...) is all quality and a toss up.
Posted By: amax155 Re: Hornady vs RCBS - 01/08/11
I put together my setup a piece at a time from various manufacturers like Redding, Lyman, Redding, Hornady and RCBS. I prefer Redding, but if I was gonna buy a complete set it would be Hornady.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Hornady vs RCBS - 01/08/11
IIRC the new RCBS presses are made in China.

I have a 25 year old Lyman Orange Crush that's given stalwart service but if I were looking to replace it I'd go Redding.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Hornady vs RCBS - 01/08/11
Originally Posted by Pugs
IIRC the new RCBS presses are made in China.

I have a 25 year old Lyman Orange Crush that's given stalwart service but if I were looking to replace it I'd go Redding.

Dittos...

Redding has held their quality and high standards, while RCBS is just another corporate cash cow anymore.
Posted By: lightman Re: Hornady vs RCBS - 01/09/11
If I were to start over,it probably would be Redding.I have been very happy with the RCBS stuff that I have,but it is old enough that it was American made.There is really no wrong answer here,they are all pretty good. Lightman
Posted By: Jocko_Slugshot Re: Hornady vs RCBS - 01/09/11
I started out with RCBS stuff in 1967 and own two of their presses. But I find myself buying more and more Redding stuff lately. I really like Redding's die quality.
Posted By: Rooney Re: Hornady vs RCBS - 01/09/11
Redding for quality!
Posted By: Tony Re: Hornady vs RCBS - 01/09/11
I just replaced my 33 year old RCBS Reloader Special as it was too "short" to load the 450-400 easily. I went with the Lee Classic Cast and am very pleased. I am not a user of Lee stuff but this press is very well executed. I would grab that press, their Auto-Prime (unless loading big rimmed stuff then the RCBS), the Hornady powder measure and an RCBS 10-10 scale. No kit for me.
Posted By: WranglerJohn Re: Hornady vs RCBS - 01/09/11
The new RCBS Rockchucker has an abysmal primer catcher that just as likely dumps them on the floor.

Hornady's Lock-N-Load Classic press also uses a plastic primer catcher tray, although I can't rate it. The Lock-N-Load die bushings are quick, but you need one for each die. I have over 100 die sets - so that means I still have to change them out or invest too much.

The RCBS and Hornady powder measures are nearly identical, they both work the same. The RCBS case activated powder drop mechanism on the Pro 200 Auto Progressive press is licensed from Hornady - it's the same thing. I found electronic scales too slow, and prone to inaccuracies if not maintained perfectly level. They are sensitive to air currents. The old balance beam scales are fairly bullet proof.

I have both the RCBS Pro 200 Progressive and a Hornady Lock-N-Load Progressive. The Hornady is a early model, it was so prone to breakage and primer jams, that I discontinued using it. They have since redesigned the primer feed. Nice shell plates though, better than the RCBS.

The RCBS Pro 2000 uses the CCI Strip Primers, or any brand can be loaded into the strips. Their shell plates are finicky though, some care is needed to prevent powder from being ejected from cases full to the shoulder when advancing the plate. RCBS provided a lighter plate indexing spring to stop the detent ball from snapping home and knocking powder out of the cases.

I switched to a Redding T-7 Turret Press for load development (still had to modify the ram so spent primers wouldn't drop on the floor), and use the RCBS Pro 2000 for volume runs. Some say the Forster CO-AX press is the best, no shell holders needed. Dies snap in and out on the lock ring. The behemoth of presses is Richard Corbin's Walnut Hill Press for bullet swaging and reloading, at $435 www.rceco.com/MN.asp?pg=products&specific=81&from=36 .

I use all brands of dies - RCBS, Redding, Forster, Hornady, Lee.

Why not go to each manufacturer's web site and download a manual for the various products, that might help with a decision.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Hornady vs RCBS - 01/09/11
If Hornady is doing the free bullet deal again this year it would be worth looking into.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Hornady vs RCBS - 01/09/11
I'd piece mine together as I went if i did it all over.

I won't buy anymore hornady dies though... I can never seem to snug the decap stem quite tight enough with their collet design... in the meantime I find no flaws with Redding dies getting most of my business.
Posted By: 1Longbow Re: Hornady vs RCBS - 01/09/11
I just busted a decapper rod,pin on a set of RCBS dies that I've had for a while .The company is sending me a new one free of charge. Thats service ,so I'll stick with RCBS --1Longbow
Posted By: Teal Re: Hornady vs RCBS - 01/09/11
I'm thinking of piecing mine together but Hornady is now throwing in 500 free bullets if you buy their kit.
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: Hornady vs RCBS - 01/09/11
+++ for Redding. Superior quality, built in the USA from materials made in the USA, and a great supporting staff of people.

Steve
Posted By: Jocko_Slugshot Re: Hornady vs RCBS - 01/09/11
The next press I buy will be a Redding Ultramag. I have a Rock Chucker but I like the linkage system design of the Ultramag better.
Posted By: Otter Re: Hornady vs RCBS - 01/09/11
Just my experience . . . If loading primarily straight or straight tapered (ie, not casings with shoulders) rounds, the Lee Classic cast press will do nicely and serve you well for a long time. I picked up a Redding Boss a few years ago and it is very impressive. I use Lee dies for my BPCR and straight cased handgun rounds, RCBS and Redding dies for all else. If you are not treating your equipment like an 800 pound gorilla would most anything will suffice. That said, were I to be starting over, I'd set up with Redding goods, they just seem to be of a higher quality and more precise . . . nothing against anything I've had, though.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Hornady vs RCBS - 01/09/11
I have and like the Forster Co-Ax-press, and prefer the Forster benchrest dies, if they are available in the caliber I'm shooting.

If available, I like the Redding Competition Handgun seating dies for straight wall cases.

For general purpose bottleneck case rifle dies - if Forster doesn't make it, I'll go with Hornady. Their newer dies have a threaded decapping plug, which stops the silliness with the collet getting loose.

There's a smattering of RCBS stuff in the tool box, too. Guess I would be called a piece-it-together-myself guy
Posted By: sako4me Re: Hornady vs RCBS - 01/09/11
Yep, I had the same thing happen, FREE of charge and always fast friendly service. You can't go wrong with RCBS, they are the Leupold of C/S in reloading.
© 24hourcampfire