Home
Posted By: Mossy Anyone have a cool little dog? - 01/14/11
My kids want a dog. We haven't had one since our Lab died 4 years ago. I've always been a big dog kinda guy and don't have any experience with small dogs.

My wife would like something smaller than our Labs,and I'll admit that something less than the 80lb dogs we've had, sounds ok to me.

I was kind of thinking something in the 40lb range (Springer,Brittany,etc). My wife is thinking even smaller.

Her and the kids have fallen in love with a Chihuahua/Dashsund mix at the local shelter. He is all of 9lbs.

I've always thought of small dogs as yappy,pains in the ass. This guy seems to be really laid back,and happy go lucky.

Have any of you guys had a cool little dog,that wasn't a PITA?
schipperke, bout 10 pounds, smart as hell, is a barker though but they were bred to be watch dogs among other things such as a ratter and a herding dog.....loves everyone in the house but is dead set about protecting the property from all comers....basically bout what you would get if yah started with an akita or husky or other spitz type dog and bred them down to be a small sized farm dog....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
we also have a small dachshund
[Linked Image]
Like asking about rifles, everybody will tell you their choice is best! grin

I have a Border Terrier, and he has been a super dog with bags of character. Like a lot of terriers, he doesn't realise he is only 18lb soaking wet and has bags of heart and a lot of character.

As a breed, they are just about the perfect small dog, very trainable, bright, and a great temperament...They are also a very healthy breed, although mine is very much showing his age now at 15..

The only real downside I can think of is that having a rough coat, they do shed hair in the house...

With what ever smaller breed you pick, I would strongly recommend staying away from the toy breeds and pick a breed and just as importantly a line, with strong working background..

A lot of breeds have been ruined by the show people breeding simply for looks and confirmation and paying little heed to things like temperament or health..

Dogs from a strong working line tend to be the opposite, and tend to have been bred for ability and healthiness...

Regards,

Peter
Originally Posted by Pete E
Like asking about rifles, everybody will tell you their choice is best! grin

I have a Border Terrier, and he has been a super dog with bags of character. Like a lot of terriers, he doesn't realise he is only 18lb soaking wet and has bags of heart and a lot of character.

As a breed, they are just about the perfect small dog, very trainable, bright, and a great temprement...They are also a very healthy breed, although mine is very much showing his age now at 15..

The only real downside I can think of is that having a rough coat, they do shed hair in the house...

With what ever smaller breed you pick, I would strongly recommend staying away from the toy breeds and pick a breed and just as importantly a line, with strong working background..A lot of breeds have been ruined by the show people as looks was their primary criteria for breeding. Dogs from a strong working line tend to be the opposite, and tend to have been bred for ability and healthiness...

Regards,

Peter

yep lots of good choices and as with Pete, ive got no interest in the lil toy breeds, always afraid im gonna break them for one thing, and also for the reasons Pete says.....im not worried bout the small dachshund and schipperke rough housing with my bird dog and getting hurt.....tough lil SOB's....terriers are another good group but havent been around a Jack Russel i really liked, some of the others have been neat, just seems like every other JR is neurotic as hell....kinda like chihuahuas....
[Linked Image]
Australian sheppard, cattle dog, I don't know what she is, but she's cool!
Originally Posted by rattler
terriers are another good group but havent been around a Jack Russel i really liked, some of the others have been neat, just seems like every other JR is neurotic as hell....kinda like chihuahuas....

JR's are very mixed bunch and I've seen little bitchs that I bet only weighed 10lb to South African bred dogs that would weigh 30lb all called Jack Russels. Temperments seem to be just as variable..

In the UK, there is a move to re establish the breed along its orignal lines under the title of the Parson Jack Russel..They've adopted a sensible bred standard, and one that includes the requirement that the dog most be capable of work...

I doubt it will ever replace the Heinz57 version of the JR thats popular now, which in reality is just a terrier sized cur, but if i were buying a JR its certainly the standard I'd be using...
Here's mine, a freebie hound. This morning he was on guard duty, watching my Brownell's catalog, as per my instructions. Looks like he's sleeping, doesn't it? Actually he is tired from yesterdays rabbit hunt and it takes him a day or two to be himself again. Of course a solar recharge never hurts either.

[Linked Image]
A friend has two dachsund/chihuahua sisters, and they look nothing alike, but both are neat friendly energetic dogs. Get that shelter dog--he'll love you for rescuing him.
[Linked Image]

why do you have my eener weener dog and why is he wearing a pink collar?

grin

[Linked Image]

In the UK, there is a move to re establish the breed along its orignal lines under the title of the Parson Jack Russel..They've adopted a sensible bred standard, and one that includes the requirement that the dog most be capable of work...

I doubt it will ever replace the Heinz57 version of the JR thats popular now, which in reality is just a terrier sized cur, but if i were buying a JR its certainly the standard I'd be using...

Our first Russell was a Parson's- the breeder is an investor that spends a lot of time in Europe, and was obsessed with the breed. His Russells were all from your area. This was the best dog I've ever had, and likely ever will have.

Our current JRT is turning out to be exactly what everyone describes them to be in the USA-bred version. Neurotic, nervous, aggressive, and hard to train. I would recommend only the Parson's Russells. Downside, they shed.

We used to breed Scottish Terriers about 20 years ago, as it was a breed I was raised with. My mother and my grandparents had them, and we've had a bunch ourselves. They and their cousins the Westie and Cairn are highly intelligent, generally not yappy, and don't shed everywhere. We have a Westy pup that keeps our present JRT in line, at times.
Scotties are great dogs- be prepared to pay for a good blood line.
Posted By: rnr Re: Anyone have a cool little dog? - 01/14/11
We've got Miniature Aussies. All the traits of a full sized aussie (loyalty, intelligence, activity) in a 20-30 lb package. You can fit two in a back seat instead of one!
aussies for sale here
Posted By: SLM Re: Anyone have a cool little dog? - 01/14/11
We have always had Medium sized dogs also but my daughter wanted a small dog so we got a Cairn Terrier. They are very hardy and he has been very good with kids. For a little dog he is one tough bastard.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by northern_dave
[Linked Image]

grin

[Linked Image]

she is somewhere under 10 pounds cause she is lighter than Bear but its hilarious watching her play tug of war with my 50 pound bird dog cause alot of the times he lets her win though with a toss of his head he could send her flying 20 feet.....

the three of them
[Linked Image]

the Weasel dancing for a treat....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The wife talked me into a little schnauzer.

Awesome little fella. I was leary at first, always had bigger dogs except for a JRT years ago, but The Nullster rocks. New years day he killed a wharf rat that was HUGE. Now he's a killing machine. He is the harbinger of doom for all of vermin kind!

Pretty damn cute to.
i've had blue and red heelers all my life and truly love the breed. when i moved into town i discovered that my heeler did not like town life so i had to give him up to my folks in the country.

since then i've had welsh pembroke corgis. we had 3 1/2 of them ( one is mixed with a basset hound i think ) they've been excellent dogs. very personable, easy to train and friendly. these dogs have great personality. there only downfall is HAIR.

i'll post some pictures of my babies later.
Corgis are really cute; I watched some work cattle in chutes years ago. They built benches so they could run along the chute and flank-bite the cows, to move them.
Originally Posted by rockchucker
there only downfall is HAIR.

are there dog breeds that dont shed? ive never had one crazy

occasionally when we are out of town alot of weekends in a row and dont get much cleaning done ive been known to do a double take thinking a saw a mouse running across the kitchen floor but it was just a hair tumbleweed rolling across the floor eek
Originally Posted by SLM
We have always had Medium sized dogs also but my daughter wanted a small dog so we got a Cairn Terrier. They are very hardy and he has been very good with kids. For a little dog he is one tough bastard.

[Linked Image]

People tend to forget the origins of the breed in that was bred for killing vermin from rats to foxes in the tough Scotish highlands. Although its suffered a lot from the show fraternity, there's still alot of fire left in them, and most will take to killing rats without a second thought...

occasionally when we are out of town alot of weekends in a row and dont get much cleaning done ive been known to do a double take thinking a saw a mouse running across the kitchen floor but it was just a hair tumbleweed rolling across the floor eek

That is another plus to the Cairns, they shed very little.
Originally Posted by kid0917
Corgis are really cute; I watched some work cattle in chutes years ago. They built benches so they could run along the chute and flank-bite the cows, to move them.

whole point of their short size was to work cattle close to teh barn, short legs meant they couldnt keep up with other breeds around the fields but working in the corrals they are short enough they can dodge most the kicks by the cows....
Schnauzers hardly shed at all. But I don't think there is such a thing as "non shedding".

My boxer shed like crazy. Little cat type hairs stuck to everything.
Originally Posted by SLM

[Linked Image]

People tend to forget the origins of the breed in that was bred for killing vermin from rats to foxes in the tough Scotish highlands. Although its suffered a lot from the show fraternity, there's still alot of fire left in them, and most will take to killing rats without a second thought...

He is hell on ground squirels and birds. laugh
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Schnauzers hardly shed at all. But I don't think there is such a thing as "non shedding".

ive taken a brush to the schipperke in the spring and cant figure out how the dog aint bald when im done cause ive got enough hair for another dog the same size as her and looking at her it doesnt look like i removed any crazy
Had a Long Coat Chihuahua for about ten years, he was a sweat heart and not yappy at all. Had four Cocker Spaniels over the years and all were well behaved and great companions.
So is Lilli my rat terrier. Last week she killed a bunny that was stupid enough to wander into her fenced area. Somehow she sneaked it into the house and disassembled it and feasted in the back hallway - late nite carpet cleaning time. The little girl is fast for almost 11.

I have experience of one with the breed, such as it is. There are, last I checked anyway, two breed clubs trying to set standards. Lilli came from a local breeder with a reputation for producing healthy dogs with good dispositions.

Even so ratters need a firm hand. By that I mean well defined rules consistently enforced. They, and I suppose most terriers, will take advantage otherwise. I've seen a hint of behavioral problems in Lilli when I was lax. Otherwise she's very well behaved. She's not around children much but when she is, she's playful and not the least bit snappy. Part is in the breeding, but I think mainly that she feels secure in her status and not threatened.

ive taken a brush to the schipperke in the spring and cant figure out how the dog aint bald when im done cause ive got enough hair for another dog the same size as her and looking at her it doesnt look like i removed any crazy

Rollin' here.... a friend of ours who watched our dogs for 2 weeks remarked that when she was done brushing our big dog (mutt) she had almost a whole other dog!

we've got a little yorkie no more than 6 lbs. she may be small but is a great dog. smile

[Linked Image]

Scotties in particular were used to rid castles and outbuildings of rats and vermin. There were accounts of a pair of Scottish Terriers killing thousands of rats in a matter of a couple of hours when let loose in abandoned structures. They shed very little, bark little, and listen a lot. I'd put them at or near the intelligence of a Parson's.
They were hugely popular in the USA during the FDR regime due to his 'Fala'.

I really like my wife's Westy- she had to have one, but I really miss Scotties, and will have another. I will not have another JRT unless I can get a Parson's (which BTW is what you see riding around in many of the African PH's Rovers- the African and South Africans seem to have kept the breed pure....)

Try an Apso with a full coat, you have to brush at least every other day to avoid mats. At the end of the week you have enough hair for another dog, and just as much every week. The hair is very fine and will float to rooms where you know the dog has never been.
Originally Posted by levrluvr

Scotties in particular were used to rid castles and outbuildings of rats and vermin.

i heard the same said about the yorkies. some people call them ratters.

-ken

A Boston Terrier would be my pick for a pure bred. Intelligent, gentle, loving, sociable small dogs that as a breed, seem to have a knack for entertaining everyone with some of their monkey-like antics.

[Linked Image]We have a schipperkee too. Petey. He's quite the watch dog, loves to go for rides on the atv, and he likes everybody.
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
[Linked Image]We have a schipperkee too. Petey. He's quite the watch dog, loves to go for rides on the atv, and he likes everybody.

mine loves my open top Jeep and will make friends with ppl but her first instinct is to attack if someone shows up at the front door, her instinct seems to be to protect the house at all costs until i or Darla prove to her the person is ok......then she becomes a belly rub whore.....
Originally Posted by Mossy
My kids want a dog. We haven't had one since our Lab died 4 years ago. I've always been a big dog kinda guy and don't have any experience with small dogs.

My wife would like something smaller than our Labs,and I'll admit that something less than the 80lb dogs we've had, sounds ok to me.

I was kind of thinking something in the 40lb range (Springer,Brittany,etc). My wife is thinking even smaller.

Her and the kids have fallen in love with a Chihuahua/Dashsund mix at the local shelter. He is all of 9lbs.

I've always thought of small dogs as yappy,pains in the ass. This guy seems to be really laid back,and happy go lucky.

Have any of you guys had a cool little dog,that wasn't a PITA?
Sure. This was my little dog when I was a little kid.

[Linked Image]
Much surprised Issac (Bob) hasn't chimed in, from what I understand he just LOVES his little Yorkies!
I have to say the dog doesn't look overly impressed with you there! grin
Never was a little dog guy, until Buster came to live here. He is a Cairn Terrier. They've been spelling that all wrong, however...should be terror-ier!. eek

These dogs have no quit in them and are rowdy to an extreme...perfect fit for visits from the grandson, age 7. grin

Buster at 5 months

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
We picked him up from the shelter when he was 6mos, he's 6.5 years now. We love the hell out of him. grin

[Linked Image]
My old JRT was a rough/ wire coat dog. He may have been a Parson type? Didn't look like a lot of JRT's I have seen. Didn't act like them either. Pretty mellow unless called for. Stubborn as all get out. Had a bit different head/build.

I have seen some psycho ones. Usually look like a chihuahua mix?

He came from a chicken farm around Winder, GA. Parents were working dogs.
One more.

[img]http://[/img] [Linked Image]
Posted By: jpb Re: Anyone have a cool little dog? - 01/14/11
Originally Posted by joken2
A Boston Terrier would be my pick for a pure bred. Intelligent, gentle, loving, sociable small dogs that as a breed, seem to have a knack for entertaining everyone with some of their monkey-like antics.

Man, there must be some real variation in intelligence in that breed then! A buddy used to have one (kids loved it, he wanted to get another dog). He always used to say that the dog was dumber than a box of hair --first time I ever heard that expression!

Based on my experience with the mutt, I think he might have been optimistic. wink The dog was entertaining, as you note though!

One Halloween, they dressed the dog up (inspired by a picture on the internet like this):

[Linked Image]

John
Twist my arm....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by SLM

[Linked Image]

Now T H A T is a real dog! cool cool It looks exactly like Buster, now he is an "adult". He'll always be a puppy at heart, however. He is the small dog of my seven-dog household, but he rules the roost. eek eek
Buddy Jonathon Moore. Retired alligator hunter.

[Linked Image]

Below is what a proper "Jack Russell" should look like:

[Linked Image]

This is broken coated, but smooth coated types are acceptable. The point is that it is quite tall and with good straight front legs...Its also narrow enough around the shoulders that it can enter a foxes earth..

Below is one of the various other types that have evolved in the UK:

[Linked Image]

Too short to follow the hounds and generally not as athletic as those true to the original Parson JR's

Thats what I was thinking. Looks like he is a bit cranky.

Looks like young TRH is gripping him a bit tight and the dogs about to put him straight!
Thanks for the pics Pete. Ours looked almost a cross 'tween the two.

Not quite as leggy as the top pic nor as squat and round as the bottom pic.

I've been looking for an airedale type dog to hang with our little schnauzer Nullah. He's taking to chasing coons and I worry about him catching one by himself. An Airedale would give him a little more back up. As it is he and I would both prolly get shredded!
Originally Posted by thumbcocker

That's a fine lookin dog.
Never heard of that breed, till now.
Originally Posted by okok
We picked him up from the shelter when he was 6mos, he's 6.5 years now. We love the hell out of him. grin

[Linked Image]

Right on, okok!

Posted By: jpb Re: Anyone have a cool little dog? - 01/14/11
Schnauzers hardly shed at all.

Well, that is all the encouragement I need to tell an old joke... wink

My neighbour found out that her dog ( a Schnauzer) could hardly hear, so she took it to the veterinarian.

The vet found that the problem was hair in the dog's ears. He cleaned both ears, and the dog could then hear fine. The vet then proceeded to tell the lady that, if she wanted to keep this from recurring, she should go to the pharmacy and get some "Nair" hair remover and rub it in the dog's ears once a month.

The lady went to the drug store and bought some "Nair" hair remover. At the register, the pharmacist told her, "If you're going to use this under your arms, don't use deodorant for a few days."

The lady said, "I'm not using it under my arms."

The pharmacist said, "If you're using it on your legs, don't shave for a couple of days."

The lady replied, "I'm not using it on my legs either. If you must know, I'm using it on my Schnauzer."

The pharmacist says, "Well stay off your bicycle for about a week."

<rimshot>

John
Love it. I can appreciate a well groomed schnauzer!
Looks like "Punkin' and Taco "time .

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Buddy Jonathon Moore. Retired alligator hunter.

[Linked Image]

A lot of "pugnacious" in that face, for sure! cool
Lots of good dogs available through Pet Finders. Many good little rescue dogs. I'm on my fourth Jack Russell currently have two of them. Big dog in a little body.

[Linked Image]
wink

...and not a bit spoiled, either, I see. grin

cool
Originally Posted by luv2safari
wink

...and not a bit spoiled, either, I see. grin

cool

Hell yes I'm spoiled.
She was a liberal back then, but I eventually brought her around. grin
YOU DOG!...

laugh
60 lbs isn't little, but I'm partial to German Shorthair Pointers. smile
[Linked Image]

The wife has a Maltese, a 5 lb cat that barks.

Her fur is a pain to keep up, but she doesn't shed. The bird dog sheds like its going out of style. The maltese loves to go for rides in the truck, travels good, and must be wherever you are.
[Linked Image]
One more.

[img]http://[/img] [Linked Image]
Great looking dog, okok.
Originally Posted by northern_dave
[Linked Image]

grin

What kind of weener doesn't like pink.

grin
Originally Posted by Cheesy
60 lbs isn't little, but I'm partial to German Shorthair Pointers. smile
[Linked Image]

Thats a great looking dog. I love GSPs.

Looks like young TRH is gripping him a bit tight and the dogs about to put him straight!
I think I was four, so she must have been a pretty tolerant dog, as she never bit me.

PS We got her when I was three, and she lived till I was 21. Yes, you read that right. She lived to be eighteen years old.
Just got her hair done, especially for this thread...

[Linked Image]

Her boyfriend just flew in, too. shocked

[Linked Image]
I went down to the shelter and picked him up while the kids were at school. To say they were excited when they got home is an understatement. smile

I'm not sure I see the Chihuahua/Dachsund in him. Looks more like a Rat terrier to me. We have up to two months to make sure he is the right fit for the family. If not,we can "exchange" him for another dog at the shelter. We'll see how we adapt to each other.

[Linked Image]

well if he has the qualities of the good dachshunds and couple good huahua's ive been around should make for a good dog......seems though ive been around alot more good hua crosses than good pure hua's......
i like my pug. she has a great demeanor. very nice. this one is dumb as a brick, but my other one is very smart.
well if he has the qualities of the good dachshunds and couple good huahua's ive been around should make for a good dog......seems though ive been around alot more good hua crosses than good pure hua's......

Thats one of the reasons we went for a mixed breed. From what the vet at the shelter told me,mixed breeds are generally very healthy,and aren't as prone to behavioral issues as some pure breds.
Stick with a Lab, they are little for a while..
[Linked Image]

But they are always cool, Cabela sunbathing after a swim in the pool...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Now that is the very image of the Natural Order of the Universe. grin
Interesting pictures, Pete. I would not have taken the second one for a JRT/PRT (hate the name change). Rat Terriers AKA American Feist were originally indiscriminately bred so they are a little bit of everything. Two standards have evolved (though I don't follow the breed clubs carefully), a shorter legged variety much like the lower picture and a long legged variety somewhat smaller and chestier than the top picture (my Lilli). Pricked or buttoned down ears are acceptable and can both occur in the same litter. Tails naturally short or may be bobbed.

Coat and markings are much like the second picture though I don't remember the standards addressing markings. Lilli is much like the second picture in that respect though a sibling was white except for an all black head. Ratters are not bred to go to earth though Lilli has sharper hunting instincts than my Brittany did. (Since they don't go to earth they don't need the handle in the back. smile )

I wonder if they'll get the Rat Terrier thing sorted out in my lifetime. Neat little dogs.
I went down to the shelter and picked him up while the kids were at school. To say they were excited when they got home is an understatement. smile

I'm not sure I see the Chihuahua/Dachsund in him. Looks more like a Rat terrier to me. We have up to two months to make sure he is the right fit for the family. If not,we can "exchange" him for another dog at the shelter. We'll see how we adapt to each other.

[Linked Image]

Good job! I hope the dog is a great match for your family!
I call him Little Master.....(grin)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thats one of the reasons we went for a mixed breed. From what the vet at the shelter told me,mixed breeds are generally very healthy,and aren't as prone to behavioral issues as some pure breds.

all 3 of mine are "pure bred" though none are papered, think i could still register my GSP with the AKC as i have the paperwork sitting around somewhere just wasnt important to me so i never got around to doing it......have had alot of mutts in the past, just through whatever twist of fate i dont have one(or 3) now.....i stumbled into all three of mine though i was looking for a bird dog when i got Jake, just wasnt sure what kinda bird dog i was gonna get, had someone told me they had lab/GSP crosses my only qualify question would have been are both parents hunters?
I also have been a big dog person, Labs, Sheppards, and GSP.
Our current dog, my Mrs selected, a Wired haired fox terrier.

This terrier is a nice dog, intelligent, affectionate, and loyal.

This one is just twenty pounds, 18 inches tall, a bit large for his standard in breed.
He likes horses, cats, trucks rides and water.
He hates mice, gophers, and snakes, also whitetails and any one with an attitude.

Attached picture September 2008 203.jpg
Attached picture May 2009 106.jpg
Attached picture my pets 073.jpg
Attached picture hello.jpg
Posted By: 1B Re: Anyone have a cool little dog? - 01/14/11
Let me second the Border Terier.

My wife wanted a smaller dog when we only had labs and other big hunting dogs. She did all the research and pushed me so hard for a BT I gave in, but with the inital condition I would not walk him or be seen with him.

Yeah sure! Our first BT, Marcher, was the gamest dog I've ever known. He never backed down down to a bigger dog and was a champion earth dog with skads of awards from races and going to ground events. He even won some at an above ground event with live racoons, foxes, woodchucks, and possums in cages hidden in wooded areeas and an old hay barn.

Yet at home he was always a perfect gent, affectionate, loyal, and smart as paint. The breed is robust heath-wise and stoic about any pains they might have. He is gone now but Murdo has replaced him in the pack and is working on his own space in our hearts.

You will find however that it is not easy to get one. BT breeders are very particular about their charges. The biggest concerns they have is a family that allows a dog to wander off lead at will. They will charge into traffic if locked on a scent trail and the toll from inattention is very high. Also, disreputable puppy mill breeders have tried to get their hands on BTs and so expect to be grilled during the application. The ploygraph isn't too bad.

1B

Here a place to shop a rescue dog.

Rescue Dog.
Lilli the Rat Girl at 1-1/2 years - now about 23 pounds and not quite 15 inches at the shoulders.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by DWmontana
I also have been a big dog person, Labs, Sheppards, and GSP.
Our current dog, my Mrs selected, a Wired haired fox terrier.

This terrier is a nice dog, intelligent, affectionate, and loyal.

This one is just twenty pounds, 18 inches tall, a bit large for his standard in breed.
He likes horses, cats, trucks rides and water.
He hates mice, gophers, and snakes, also whitetails and any one with an attitude.

I grew up with one of those and it was hell on legs! My mother picked it from strong show lines because she liked the looks, but it was about the gamest terrier I ever saw.

And by game, I mean to the point of being a liability as you could not have around any other animal regardless of size as it would do its best to kill it, other dogs included.

Around humans, she was generally very good, especially with kids, and my mother. The dad and my dad pretty much hated wach other and he only tollerated it because of my mother.

The dog was a complete softie with me and would do all manner of tricks, but my father only had to reach down to pat it and she would give him low warning growl..
we have a couple yorkies,a little big for the breed standard,just about the size of a cairn (ones 14 lbs,the other 10),but they are very active and healthy dogs,and they dont shed at all.
They have hair,like humans,no undercoat,and like humans it just keeps getting longer.
They both are hell on wheels for birds ,squirrels and rabbits,and have caught several of each.
We keep ours hair cut short,not long like the normal breed standard.

[Linked Image]

We had a Yorkie growing up as a kid (Spencer) he was pretty smart,we taught him all sorts of tricks. laugh
here's Lily my dachshund she is 5yo and only weighs around 13 lbs.

[Linked Image]
This here is Nibs, a toy poodle-got him by accident(long story) as a pup. He is going on 7 years old now:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here he is at the start of a 17 mile hike. He loves the outdoors and can hike like crazy. I wish I had his kind of stamina!
[Linked Image]

He also likes the snow, at least till it starts to get between his pads on his feet-he is also a stubborn little chit, as here he is looking away from the camera- this after I tried to get him to look towards me for the photo!
laugh
[Linked Image]
I think folks is sorta missing the point on the Jack Russels.

Seems like "breeds" as we recognise the term at present are a whole lot more uniform than in the old days. For example Jack Russels. I've been familiar with the type since the 70's on account of my sisters' employment with the well-heeled "horsey" set back east.

What is between the ears is of course the most mportant part of a dog and even back then dogs identified as "Jack Russels" came in variations on a theme. Nobody cared, and best of all the AKC didn't recognise them as a breed. They weren't trendy outside of horse barns, and there they were valued for their gameness and ability to kill rats.

Same thing with rat terriers AKA "fiests". As I understand it, a rat terrier was less inclined to go to ground than a Jack Russel, and was more tractable off leash too. Out in the woods they would range about 40 yards out, putting up rabbits and treeing squirrels. I had one.

Rat terriers come in variations on a theme too, various sizes, running more leggier on average than a generally similar=appearing Jack Russel.

Popularity is killing the Jack Russel here, and the AKC has their claws in 'em now too. Seems like inbreeding for "confomration" kills a breed pretty quick. Rat terriers got recognized by the AKC not too long ago too, but fortunately, just like AKC "Australian Cattle Dogs" ("Heelers" to everyone else) "AKC Rat Terriers" appear not to have caught on yet either.

JMHO,
Birdwatcher
this is a picture of our Parson's Russell "Arthur"- Welsh parents. He's pictured with our RottenLab "Roxie" when she was just a pup; she's considerably larger than that now, and Arthur passed away a few years ago. Best dog I've ever had.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Seems like "breeds" as we recognise the term at present are a whole lot more uniform than in the old days. For example Jack Russels. I've been familiar with the type since the 70's on account of my sisters' employment with the well-heeled "horsey" set back east.

What is between the ears is of course the most mportant part of a dog and even back then dogs identified as "Jack Russels" came in variations on a theme. Nobody cared, and best of all the AKC didn't recognise them as a breed. They weren't trendy outside of horse barns, and there they were valued for their gameness and ability to kill rats.

Same thing with rat terriers AKA "fiests". As I understand it, a rat terrier was less inclined to go to ground than a Jack Russel, and was more tractable off leash too. Out in the woods they would range about 40 yards out, putting up rabbits and treeing squirrels. I had one.

Rat terriers come in variations on a theme too, various sizes, running more leggier on average than a generally similar=appearing Jack Russel.

Popularity is killing the Jack Russel here, and the AKC has their claws in 'em now too. Seems like inbreeding for "confomration" kills a breed pretty quick. Rat terriers got recognized by the AKC not too long ago too, but fortunately, just like AKC "Australian Cattle Dogs" ("Heelers" to everyone else) "AKC Rat Terriers" appear not to have caught on yet either.

JMHO,
Birdwatcher

The old days?? Well I guess in the good Parson could said to have been living in the old days and he developed the breed into a very particular type, but always form followed function.

His terriers had long legs as they were expected to follow the Hounds and not be carried as short legged terriers were. Their upper body confirmation was all about having the size and flxibility to get down a foxes earth...The dog itself was required to stand off and bay a fox rather than close and kill it as the terriers in the North were required to do..

So the Parsons dogs were quite uniform in size and type, it was only in the years afterwards that the breed morphed into the hotch potch we have to day where anything smallish and brown and white gets called a Jack Russell..

I do tend to agree about the damage the Kennel Club and show breeders have done though, as they have ruined many, many fine breeds..

Regards,

Peter
[Linked Image]

A picture of my JRT
I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if it has been mentioned, I have a beagle, she is great with kids, very affectionate, and is very good at following blood trails.
Posted By: LBP Re: Anyone have a cool little dog? - 01/15/11

Poodles don't shed.
Is that an Oregon jersey he's sporting? blush
Here os our Hartly Hell Raiser:

[Linked Image]

And here is in a more sedate state:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by jpb
Schnauzers hardly shed at all.

Well, that is all the encouragement I need to tell an old joke... wink

My neighbour found out that her dog ( a Schnauzer) could hardly hear, so she took it to the veterinarian.

The vet found that the problem was hair in the dog's ears. He cleaned both ears, and the dog could then hear fine. The vet then proceeded to tell the lady that, if she wanted to keep this from recurring, she should go to the pharmacy and get some "Nair" hair remover and rub it in the dog's ears once a month.

The lady went to the drug store and bought some "Nair" hair remover. At the register, the pharmacist told her, "If you're going to use this under your arms, don't use deodorant for a few days."

The lady said, "I'm not using it under my arms."

The pharmacist said, "If you're using it on your legs, don't shave for a couple of days."

The lady replied, "I'm not using it on my legs either. If you must know, I'm using it on my Schnauzer."

The pharmacist says, "Well stay off your bicycle for about a week."

<rimshot>

John

Can't quit laughing... laugh
Is that an Oregon jersey he's sporting? blush

Oh hell no!
Just a cheapo sweater I got him before that hike at the local Petsmart-turned out he didn't need it, he is doing fine this year in the cold, wet weather.
I havent read the whole thread and I'm a Big Dog kinda guy...that being said, I train and the coolest little dogs Ive worked with were Papillons...nice to be around, biddable and wicked smart...
Tom, how smart are poodles? I heard somewhere they were #1 for dog intelligence. Not sure how one measures that buy anyway.
That's why they cross breed Poodles...cuz they're smart.
Originally Posted by LBP
Tom, how smart are poodles? I heard somewhere they were #1 for dog intelligence. Not sure how one measures that buy anyway.

LBP I cant speak for the smaller than standard ( which is a big dog) poodles....but Ive worked with Standards, and a couple crosses ( Doodles)...goofy looking bastids, but every one of them was a dream to train...catch on quick....
I ain't saying!!
Posted By: prm Re: Anyone have a cool little dog? - 01/15/11
Absolutely love my JRT. No doubt they are very strong willed little creatures though. But he does exactly what he was bred to do, chase it if it moves and then bark at it until you come and get it. He keeps the squirrels on their toes though. He is pretty much all white even though his mom and dad and brothers weren't. He does have some very small light tan spots.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Oh Bob....noooooo..... eek
Originally Posted by isaac
I ain't saying!!

Bob...if its a Bichon Frise I'll come over and slash your wrists for you....
Its awful quiet Bob......
Each of my two daughters BFs bought them a Yorkie for Valentines Day over a 2 year period. They are no longer in their lives so,I,the lab lover,have two dogs that have me feeling my testosterone is draining from by body.
Cute little bastid!
We've got four. Two "littles" and two "bigs". Brief description above each picture.

TJ - about 14 pounds with a lot of Schnauser in him. He is fairly quiet for a small dog. Likes to play by himself and always, always has a smile. Most laid-back little dog I've ever been around. He's been a real treat.
[Linked Image]

Katy - about 12 pounds and we call her our "wonder" dog, because we wonder what she is. Noisier than TJ but she is Momma's dog. Nuf said.
[Linked Image]

Millie - about 65 pounds and is some kind of spaniel mix. She is the "Queen" of the house. If there is anything for the dogs to play with, she claims it as her own. Inherited her from our daughter. She has been surprisingly a good dog and has adapted well to us. She is the oldest of the foursome but doesn't act like it.
[Linked Image]

Pete - about 70 pounds and a Border Collie/Lab mix. He is the "Matriarch" of the house. Any disputes amongst the other dogs are quickly put to rest with his intervention. He likes to be by himself and that's just the way it is. We have had him the longest so he is getting long in the tooth. He has been very good for us and I hope, we for him.
[Linked Image]

Everybody has their favorite breed to which they are partial. Our current herd/pack are all "mutts" and have been very good for us. Different strokes for different folks. We sure don't need a doorbell . . .
Originally Posted by ingwe
Its awful quiet Bob......

TFF...
Each of my two daughters BFs bought them a Yorkie for Valentines Day over a 2 year period. They are no longer in their lives so,I,the lab lover,have two dogs that have me feeling my testosterone is draining from by body.

It's ok Bro we still like you. lol

we do?
laugh
grin
yea, yea Pete E
Like and look all the time at those long legged Jack Russells
Great, loveable dogs too!
mrs.
my dobie is a horse working machine.

dobie
[Linked Image]

tipsey
[Linked Image]

shorty
[Linked Image]

dobie and tipsey are full blooded corgis. shorty i think has basset or arkansas leg hound in him. these are great dogs.
[Linked Image]

Bullet -- 20 pounds - 10 years old. Absolute terror on squirrels. Small dog -- Huge attitude!

The goldie is gone now. Happy hunting to "Hunter"
we have had a female Yorkie in the house for several months---and NO hair coming out. I mean none. Cute little thing. A very good dog.
You forgot ---FUGLEY
That's why they cross breed Poodles...cuz they're smart.

Dandy the Cockerpoo got the best of both breeds, intelligence from the (stud) poodle and a calmer demeanor from the cocker. Smartest dog I ever knew, would learn tricks scary fast. He could count to seven. I would line up seven kandy korns, his favorite, and he would eat them in reverse order. Go to eight and he'd eat them randomly.

More personality too.

we do?

Its the " testosterone draining from my body." that would explain the petulant obsession over details....Ok..I 'get" it now..... grin

At least it wasn't a Bichon, or worse yet a Dandy dinmont terrier... wink

I'll say Hi to Chesty Puller ( the lab...) for you.... whistle
Petulant?? I'm sure you meant perservering!
Buddy Moore and our Great Pyrenees "Koon".

Buddy grabs Koon's leash in his mouth and insists on walking him, it's hilarious.

[Linked Image]
Petulant?? I'm sure you meant perservering!

Shoulda known better than to use "big words" on you...

It works on John Moses though..... grin
I mentioned you in the Bigfoot thread yesterday.

I hope you enjoyed that. LOL grin wink
Now I'll have to go find it...damn you JM...
Found it...you'll smoke a turd in hell for that...
Laffin!

JK you know. wink
Haven't read all the threads, but my Jacks been a wonderful dog.

12-14lb dog with a 100 lb attitude

VERY family orientated. She's fine with strangers if they don't bother her and let her come to them. Not so wonderful if they reach for her.

She's always been excellent in the house and my first apartment after college. Pushing 13 this spring and slowing up a little bit, but still going strong.

She's on my lap right now as I'm typing this.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by cal74
Haven't read all the threads, but my Jacks been a wonderful dog.

12-14lb dog with a 100 lb attitude

VERY family orientated. She's fine with strangers if they don't bother her and let her come to them. Not so wonderful if they reach for her.

She's always been excellent in the house and my first apartment after college. Pushing 13 this spring and slowing up a little bit, but still going strong.

She's on my lap right now as I'm typing this.

[Linked Image]

Sweet looking old girl. Feed her a raw diet like sold by Darwin's Raw Dog Food (they ship free in frozen packs), and extend her healthy life by a few years.
Got to agree with the JRT's being great "little" dogs...I got my first last winter & only stepped on a couple "tootsie rolls" in the house breaking routine...smart as hell but they want to constantly "play/wrestle/fight" so much energy, it's hard to believe...mine will be attacking the lab, then suddenly take off down the hallway at a hundred miles an hour...into the bedroom, underneath the bed, out the other side doing a quick turn at the foot, back into the living room & in one leap, hit the back of the couch & bounce off hitting the floor without touching the bottom cushions...leap back over the lab & do this cycle 5-6 times, growling like a dog from hell the whole time...funny as hell...athletic & very agile. I may have to get another so she has a buddy to play with that can actually keep up with her...
Here's Spark. I didn't want a dog when my Wife decided we were getting one. Now he is my Spark, a go anywhere, do anything dog. He put a bear up a tree last summer while camping. He is a natural born killer, his biggest kill is a marmot, but he is also calm for JRT. He gets lots of exercise which is key and is the best dog I've ever had.

[Linked Image]

He is also a coyote magnet, having been attacked three times. Now we hunt them together and he really loves that.

[Linked Image]

He likes getting bites in on the "dying quivers".

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

7 day float trip down Greys and Desolation Canyon. He didn't care for the whitewater part.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
hit the back of the couch & bounce off hitting the floor without touching the bottom cushions.

this must be a Russell trait, as my two have both done this, all at warp speed. Fun to watch, that little exercise... smile
I bet he loves the teamwork revenge on the coyotes. grin

Leave 'em out in the back yard at night, the owls will find them eventually wink

Anyhoo... here's my son's dog, which lives at our house. Nice enough dog fer a companion/lap dog, which is what it is, not much use otherwise. It has lost about half its teeth now, which I'm told is common with the breed.

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher

I am okay with small dogs, as long as they are friendly. Went to a Super Bowl party last year and the host's two Chihuahuas were a hoot. AS soon as I sat down, one them jumped on the sofa, ran up my chest, and tried to lick me to death. He lives in the country, and has lost one dog to a hawk or owl. It simply vanished one day.

Another guy took his wife's Yorkie to the deer lease, and it had a fine time running around with us laughing at it. The fun came to an end, though, when we realized there were three hawks visible in trees, all closely watching it. It was sent back inside.

Don't want one, I am fairly sure Bandit would kill it eek Also tough on a dog, when you are gone 10-12 hours a day, working.
You live by a train yard Birdy?
Duke - 55 lbs of bird hunting dynamite. Might as well get one that you can get a little work out of.

[Linked Image]
I was over at a friend's house one day, when his niece, who lives next door, let her mini-dachshund out to pee and run around. There's a huge nest in their backyard, belonging to a redtailed hawk, and Allan even had a spotting scope trained on the nest to watch the little ones. I warned him about that hawk, and said that a mini-weiner (Vienna sausage, as it were) would be a fine meal for those hawklets. Allan told me that he'd "never seen that hawk with anything but rabbits and birds" I said, "There's always a first time............."

When I was four, we had a chihuahua named 'Tiny'. We let him out when we went off to Grandma's for Christmas, and found him scattered all over the front yard when we got back. Hawk, owl, coyote, or hound dog(Dad had coonhounds), we don't know which it was that got him, but it got him good.
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retreiver

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
What a stud!
Posted By: prm Re: Anyone have a cool little dog? - 01/16/11
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
..then suddenly take off down the hallway at a hundred miles an hour...into the bedroom, underneath the bed, out the other side doing a quick turn at the foot, back into the living room & in one leap, ...

Watching a JRT is definitely entertainment! Mine does the same thing in the house. Especially the leap into the living room. When mine is outside he bounds around like a mule deer until he sees what he's after and then turns on the afterburners.

Knows where to find the AC vent too. [Linked Image]

Returning from chasing a whitetail in the woods. He needs to learn his limits! [Linked Image]
Sandy is a border collie mix we got at 15 months of age. No-kill rescue dog, appears was in shelters maybe half her life? What a shame, because despite some skittishness at times, she's the sweetest little girl, well behaved and hilariously affectionate. One of those dogs you can tell loves her owners and desires their approval. Will walk your azz off and is hell on frogs and squirrels.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
And this is Hank (Hanklin Delano, no relation to Roosevelt). Ex-GF wanted a "small dog" and despite not wanting any ankle biters around, gave in and she brought this misfit miniature x toy poodle home, the last from a litter. Sigh. Well you know what's going to happen, right? Things been stuck to me like glue since 11wks of age and while the GF is gone, Hank's still my little buddy, under my feet, paw on my knee, basically my shadow. He's a good little boy, smart as a whip, can't help he's a damm poodle.... Rough-houses with Sandy all day. When he bugs too much, I switch on his babysitter - the warm fireplace, and down he goes for a nap tired

[Linked Image]

In his preferred napping spot....
[Linked Image]

laugh That last one's great.
Owned. laugh
[Linked Image]
Awesome shot.
Gracie, my Pug/lap dog.

[Linked Image]
Pugs are sweet....does she snore? laugh
He's not mine. Just pay for food and vet. I said,HE'S NOT MINE!!

[Linked Image]
Cute Dog YOU have there! grin
Holy chit, you went and got a god damn dog portrait done.

[Linked Image]

Ohhhhhh....Bob......
Sam...you take that back. I most certainly did not,mister!!
[Linked Image]

I'm just sayin'..... whistle
Now I am crying.
Pugs are sweet....does she snore? laugh

Funny you ask. She snorts like a pig all the time and licks the air like a snake!!! I call her snake-dog sometimes.

Yes, she also snores all the time...even when she is awake!!

[Linked Image]

I bet that farker chases Bears up trees. :>>)
Now I am crying.

If it helps...when I give him up...I'll be cryin'....
Bob's dog has a way better hair cut than I do.....(grin)

Tom, that must be the pup?

He's gettin' big!
Victoria's dog,dammit!!
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Tom, that must be the pup?

He's gettin' big!

Yep...dats Chesty Puller...
Did you get your British line beauty in the states,Tom?
laugh
[Linked Image]
That is a great pic.
Did you get your British line beauty in the states,Tom?

Yep...actually right here in town...pure luck, I ran on to the BEST breeder of Labs Ive ever seen...more laid back and stoic( British influence) and actually most have the boxier British head....
Never a Lab fan.....before now.... grin
Thanks Bob...
Bart, just visited my sister..shes got a 1/2 Pug and 1/2 Chihuahua......ugly-azzed dog...looks like a cross between a dog and a fruit bat....

Personality plus though....
Pugs have such a wonderful personality,they can alter the genetics of a Chihuahua.... grin
And this one did...to the better.... grin
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

JMHO,
Birdwatcher

The old days?? Well I guess in the good Parson could said to have been living in the old days and he developed the breed into a very particular type, but always form followed function.

His terriers had long legs as they were expected to follow the Hounds and not be carried as short legged terriers were. Their upper body confirmation was all about having the size and flxibility to get down a foxes earth...The dog itself was required to stand off and bay a fox rather than close and kill it as the terriers in the North were required to do..

So the Parsons dogs were quite uniform in size and type, it was only in the years afterwards that the breed morphed into the hotch potch we have to day where anything smallish and brown and white gets called a Jack Russell..

I do tend to agree about the damage the Kennel Club and show breeders have done though, as they have ruined many, many fine breeds..

Regards,

Peter

Pete,

You live a lot closer to the source than I, but I understand the short legged Jack Russels were bred in the days when foxes had been hunted to the edge of extinction in Britain.

There was no shortage of badgers though, and the breed was selectively bred to go into the den and drag the badger out. That calls for one gutsy tough little dog.

And it pretty well describes Momma's new pet, Rascal. He is short legged and thirty pounds of pure muscle. He loves playing tug-of-war more than anything else on Earth, and can drag my sixty pound grand daughter across a smooth laminate floor.

The only time he ever barks is when he hears a strange noise outside, or a knock at the door. He gets very excited when he hears the voice of a child, as he loves to play with kids.

His hair is short but wiry, and he has to live inside when the temps get below forty degrees. But he still goes out and plays for an hour at a time when it is near zero degrees F. We have three big cats that live around the house, Rascal would love to chase them. But he can not get them to run from him.

Here he is with his favorite toys, my grandkids.
Slumber party here.

[Linked Image]

playing with my youngest grandson and Gramma
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The girls tried to sic him on a "big mean" bull snake
[Linked Image]

This little guy is smart as a whip, and very trainable. He just gets a bit hard of listening when he is after a raccoon or a skunk. I doubt that I have ever seen a more affectionate dog.
Bought Hunter from a eastern shore breeder in 97 and he loved even the most miserable parts of goose/duck hunting weather. Only dog who stayed in hotel rooms with me. Lost him in late 08. You've seen my spiraling downfall from there! This is a in-ground goose blind pit in Oxford Md, the year the eastern shore ruined goose hunting.

[Linked Image]
Damn! I wish there was some way we could get over some of these dogs that have shared our lives...
Bought Hunter from a eastern shore breeder in 97 and he loved even the most miserable parts of goose/duck hunting weather. Only dog who stayed in hotel rooms with me. Lost him in late 08. You've seen my spiraling downfall from there! This is a in-ground goose blind pit in Oxford Md, the year the eastern shore ruined goose hunting.

[Linked Image]

Great photo...too bad Dogs didn't live as long as Parrots. :>)

Great photo...too bad Dogs didn't live as long as Parrots. :>)

That's no lie...
I think the little rescue dog will be a keeper. I've never been around a more laid back dog in my life.

He is totally content to lay on the floor next to the kids and watch them play a game or build a puzzle.

These threads kill me, and one of the main reasons I can't wait to retire.

I can see some form or terrier and a lab.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, Right, and a bear doesn't Schit in the woods and the Pope isn't Catholic either. whistle wink whistle
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Scott,

Dogs are twice as great in combination with a passle of grandkids.

You better get busy.
That won't happen.
But you will get "busy"..... whistle

How much longer?
2 more years
Get a rescue if possible...they never forget.
My last 6 critters have all been.
Bulldog. Tons of fun and personality.
A photo of me & my Dad's French Bulldog. My English Setter passed away last Father's Day so we took her partridge hunting last fall. I can't say that she's not a PITA but she loves everybody, is very playful and can hold her own when playing with bigger dogs. When it comes to hunting she has absolutely no nose but she's not gunshy and is quite a scratcher.

[Linked Image]
Expensive little bastids though.
Originally Posted by klondike_mike
A photo of me & my Dad's French Bulldog. My English Setter passed away last Father's Day so we took her partridge hunting last fall. I can't say that she's not a PITA but she loves everybody, is very playful and can hold her own when playing with bigger dogs. When it comes to hunting she has absolutely no nose but she's not gunshy and is quite a scratcher.

[Linked Image]
I love Frenchies.

[Linked Image]

Great picture!!!

[Linked Image]

DUDE!!!! Bob.... Are you are sporting a MULLET!!!!!

I can see some form of terrier and a lab.

Get one of each. This JRT is now full grown, the RottenLab, our second (IMHO, absolutely the best mix of two breeds possible) is the bodyguard. Odd bookends, but they are best buds.

[Linked Image]
I love that picture. grin
I love that picture. grin

one of my favorites too- I suck as a photographer- the dogs gave that one to me. smile

The JRT has his chance to be the bodyguard with the new addition (now 10 months old). We always had Scotties; this is the first Westie. He's been a challenge, but is starting to come around. Between the two of them, we no longer have any chipmunks on the acreage.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Bob thinks he is just SO ADORABLE! smile smile
=============

No way,but you aren't the first to ask that. It's shadows inside the hood.
What a pretty Westie! I love them. I had a rescue westie that came from a puppy mill. He was adorable. When my chemo port was placed I was told I could'nt have any pets for a year. I miss him so bad. He has a great home now in Goergia with a retired couple who baby him rotten. He has a female westie for a companion so Im sure he is very happy. This is an old pic of him right before he went to his new home.
[Linked Image]
=============

No way,but you aren't the first to ask that. It's shadows inside the hood.

Right Bob, we believe ya.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I have a cat that acts like a dog half the time.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Y'all need to get a room.... And a box of band-aids...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This is, to me, BY FAR, the most amazing dog on the earth. His name is Buddy and I think I have posted pictures of him here before...so forgive the repeat. He lives with Jim and was a rescue dog given to us by a client. Jim is kind enough to share custody with me so I see him as often as I like. Buddy is about as lazy as a dog can be, but more loving and faithful than you could imagine. Bout the only thing Buddy dont like is little kids, he loves to ride in the truck and can fetch a tennis ball from ten miles away. He hates a bath....wont mind me for anything...but is submissive as a little lamb with Jim and with Tyler (my son). When the guys would be gone hunting or to the ballgames, he became the protector of the house. Sleeping at the front door with one eye open.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by T LEE
[Linked Image]
That breed looks like the cat equivalent of the Pug.
I really am not fond of the "flat nosed" cat breeds, they are very prone to lifelong respiratory problems.
I really am not fond of the "flat nosed" cat breeds, they are very prone to lifelong respiratory problems.
Same with the flat faced dog breeds.
The GF has a little papillon, eight pounds soaking wet, biggest little dog in town. He's not afraid of anything. Nothing approaches the house without our knowing about it. He sleeps on our bed and if a kid gets up in the night, we know about it, instantly. He's smart, personable, athletic, everything but big. I bet with a little work he'd make a great squirrel dog.
Yep...Len. If he could type he'd be one of the smartest guys on here.

[Linked Image]
Our little mumble mumble MaltyPoo mumble has turned out to be a good little dude... He and our Lab make a good watchdog pair; he's the brains, she's the brawn.

He makes my wife very happy- he's incredibly loyal to her, follows her everywhere- and that in itself is worth his weight in kibble. smile
Originally Posted by ltppowell

[Linked Image]
laugh Teach him.
His fingers are too little.
Pooper in the snow last week

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
[Linked Image]
Awesome shot.

got it completely on accident, was trying to get a shot of her dancing on her back feet for a treat but the other two were to close and she panicked and jumped for it......havent let the wife know but gonna see if she can hunt ground squirrels this spring grin she seems gamey enough so maybe the hunt hasnt been bred out of her to far.....rather than being intended for a lap dog the smaller dachshunds were intended for hunting rabbit instead of the badger their larger kin took on so we will see if the lil girl can hunt.....
Originally Posted by bea175

[Linked Image]

Great photo.
Looks like a character, for certain.
the smaller dachshunds were intended for hunting rabbit instead of the badger their larger kin took on so we will see if the lil girl can hunt.....
Makes sense. Those short legs would slow them down so that the rabbit was always a good distance ahead of them when they swing around back to the hunter.
breaking her in on fox pups now grin

[Linked Image]
Pooper? laugh
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by bea175

[Linked Image]

Great photo.
Looks like a character, for certain.

She bosses me around worst than any woman i have ever been with
Don't have a cool little dog, but a big COLD dog.
[Linked Image]

Well...this thread sure went to the cats. smirk

wink
That dancin' doggie got some second-hand bong dust!
Originally Posted by sandcritter
And this is Hank (Hanklin Delano, no relation to Roosevelt). Ex-GF wanted a "small dog" and despite not wanting any ankle biters around, gave in and she brought this misfit miniature x toy poodle home, the last from a litter. Sigh. Well you know what's going to happen, right? Things been stuck to me like glue since 11wks of age and while the GF is gone, Hank's still my little buddy, under my feet, paw on my knee, basically my shadow. He's a good little boy, smart as a whip, can't help he's a damm poodle.... Rough-houses with Sandy all day. When he bugs too much, I switch on his babysitter - the warm fireplace, and down he goes for a nap tired

[Linked Image]

In his preferred napping spot....
[Linked Image]

I was raised with toy poodles...love them little guys to death!
This is my dog Ruffien Teaching me how to shoot
He has been gone for about 8 years now

[IMG]http://i990.photobucket
Here's a pic of two litter-mates from a chihuahua/dachsund crossing:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here is "my wife's" dog, and our daughter, I was not sure how the dog would react to the new baby, but she just moved over a little and they both sit on my lap now.
Pic fail
Sorry pics FU'ed

[Linked Image]

She got the Yorkie, I got the Wilson!
That is a pretty intimidating sight.

The dog scares the h@ll out of me. shocked shocked
Originally Posted by luv2safari
That is a pretty intimidating sight.

The dog scares the h@ll out of me. shocked shocked

Our own little home security force.
[Linked Image]
Titled: Bite me.
Norwich Terrier
He used to be little if that counts. My best buddy Jaeger.
[Linked Image]
Wouldnt mind if he would have stayed this small. Takes up too much room in my bed now.
[Linked Image]
Given his name, I just had to take this picture
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by bubbajay
[Linked Image]

Here is "my wife's" dog, and our daughter, I was not sure how the dog would react to the new baby, but she just moved over a little and they both sit on my lap now.

BEAUTIFUL baby...and cute doggie too!!
Deertracker and Ingwe,

[Linked Image]

This is the only blonde I think I could live with... smile 1st canine inhabitant of my house... I KNOW it won't be the last.

She's about the smallest Lab I've ever seen... all of 46 lbs... and she's near 3 yrs old... By far and above the best thing that's ever happened to me... smile

GH
This is Kippie, just one of my dogs. Don't know where he came from but he just showed up one day all banged up and skinny. He's a real sweetie.

Anybody got any ideas about the breed?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: byc Re: Anyone have a cool little dog? - 01/19/11
Originally Posted by ltppowell

[Linked Image]

Great pics by all and all great dogs. Especially, this one as defined by a "cool little dog.". He rocks!
Thank you, the little girl is half me and half my wife (as far as i know anyway...) the little dog is half [bleep] and half bichon, aka teddy bears, she loves that damn ball in her mouth, and will play fetch until my arm is sore.
I never get tired of looking at Dogs.
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Deertracker and Ingwe,

[Linked Image]

This is the only blonde I think I could live with... smile 1st canine inhabitant of my house... I KNOW it won't be the last.

She's about the smallest Lab I've ever seen... all of 46 lbs... and she's near 3 yrs old... By far and above the best thing that's ever happened to me... smile

GH

She's a beauty. 46lbs! Wow! Mine passed that up at about 8 months old. Hell, he probably eats 46lbs of dog food a week! Only dogs I have had have been yellow labs. Wouldnt mind having something smaller one of these days. My girlfriend wants a Yorkie something fierce but it just doesnt work out now. If we get something little though I want something fun like a JRT or similar terrier. Not a little "accessory" dog.

Can't believe smooth-haired fox terriers have been left out.
Hellacious squirrel and varmint killers. My Chipper said there was a squirrel in the tree,there was a squirrel in that tree.
He was poisoned 10/31/78 by a psycho who poisoned pets for years in the hood. Bob
Originally Posted by DeerTracker
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Deertracker and Ingwe,

[Linked Image]

GH

She's a beauty. 46lbs! Wow! Mine passed that up at about 8 months old. Hell, he probably eats 46lbs of dog food a week! Only dogs I have had have been yellow labs. Wouldnt mind having something smaller one of these days. My girlfriend wants a Yorkie something fierce but it just doesnt work out now. If we get something little though I want something fun like a JRT or similar terrier. Not a little "accessory" dog.

My sister has a chocolate lab about the same size. The breeder said it was an English strain. Not sure on that one but......
Originally Posted by brinky72
My sister has a chocolate lab about the same size. The breeder said it was an English strain. Not sure on that one but......

I've heard them referred to as an "English Strain" before... I know I'd take another in a heartbeat!

GH

BTW, She doesn't know she's too big to be a "Lap Dog"! grin
He's not really little but here's mine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Willow is a 3 year old Brittany. She loves watching the Nature Channel on her big screen TV.

Mart

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pak Re: Anyone have a cool little dog? - 01/19/11
I have a female Parsons Russell. She is on the small size and about 12 lbs. At times she can be a nasty horrible little k9. at other times a loving lap dog. She like many Russells I've seen are always trying to gain the alpha spot. A firm hand is always necessary. I believe this dog is typical. She is my shadow and is constantly at my side or real close. If I'm nailing with a hammer she is right next to the nail watching the fall of the hammer. Fireworks do not phase her in the least. She is also fearless which is not real good for a 12 lb dog to think it is a 60 pounder. She is also crate trained which is a must so she/we can have some down time. I cannot recommend a Russell for a first dog. I also have an Aussie that is a terrific dog. He is smart, obedient, protective and easy to get along with. Both dogs have their good and bad traits as all dogs do. Good luck in your search.
Pete

Effie is half breed poodle and Llasa (sp?) and our household dictator. She's as quick as lightening, and a good watchdog-actually bit our plumber, tore his pants, and drew blood. From the back of her favorite chair she surveys the world and rarely allows a picture. This is one of her more sanguine moods.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire