Home

House GOP Lists $2.5 Trillion in Spending Cuts

Corporation for Public Broadcasting Subsidy. $445 million annual savings.

Save America's Treasures Program. $25 million annual savings.

International Fund for Ireland. $17 million annual savings.

Legal Services Corporation. $420 million annual savings.

National Endowment for the Arts. $167.5 million annual savings.

National Endowment for the Humanities. $167.5 million annual savings.

Hope VI Program. $250 million annual savings.

Amtrak Subsidies. $1.565 billion annual savings.

Eliminate duplicative education programs. H.R. 2274 (in last Congress), authored by Rep. McKeon, eliminates 68 at a savings of $1.3 billion annually.

U.S. Trade Development Agency. $55 million annual savings.

Woodrow Wilson Center Subsidy. $20 million annual savings.

Cut in half funding for congressional printing and binding. $47 million annual savings.

John C. Stennis Center Subsidy. $430,000 annual savings.

Community Development Fund. $4.5 billion annual savings.

Heritage Area Grants and Statutory Aid. $24 million annual savings.

Cut Federal Travel Budget in Half. $7.5 billion annual savings.

Trim Federal Vehicle Budget by 20%. $600 million annual savings.

Essential Air Service. $150 million annual savings.

Technology Innovation Program. $70 million annual savings.

Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) Program. $125 million annual savings.

Department of Energy Grants to States for Weatherization. $530 million annual savings.

Beach Replenishment. $95 million annual savings.

New Starts Transit. $2 billion annual savings.

Exchange Programs for Alaska, Natives Native Hawaiians, and Their Historical Trading Partners in Massachusetts. $9 million annual savings.

Intercity and High Speed Rail Grants. $2.5 billion annual savings.

Title X Family Planning. $318 million annual savings.

Appalachian Regional Commission. $76 million annual savings.

Economic Development Administration. $293 million annual savings.

Programs under the National and Community Services Act. $1.15 billion annual savings.

Applied Research at Department of Energy. $1.27 billion annual savings.

FreedomCAR and Fuel Partnership. $200 million annual savings.

Energy Star Program. $52 million annual savings.

Economic Assistance to Egypt. $250 million annually.

U.S. Agency for International Development. $1.39 billion annual savings.

General Assistance to District of Columbia. $210 million annual savings.

Subsidy for Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. $150 million annual savings.

Presidential Campaign Fund. $775 million savings over ten years.

No funding for federal office space acquisition. $864 million annual savings.

End prohibitions on competitive sourcing of government services.

Repeal the Davis-Bacon Act. More than $1 billion annually.

IRS Direct Deposit: Require the IRS to deposit fees for some services it offers (such as processing payment plans for taxpayers) to the Treasury, instead of allowing it to remain as part of its budget. $1.8 billion savings over ten years.

Require collection of unpaid taxes by federal employees. $1 billion total savings.

Prohibit taxpayer funded union activities by federal employees. $1.2 billion savings over ten years.

Sell excess federal properties the government does not make use of. $15 billion total savings.

Eliminate death gratuity for Members of Congress.

Eliminate Mohair Subsidies. $1 million annual savings.

Eliminate taxpayer subsidies to the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. $12.5 million annual savings.

Eliminate Market Access Program. $200 million annual savings.

USDA Sugar Program. $14 million annual savings.

Subsidy to Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). $93 million annual savings.

Eliminate the National Organic Certification Cost-Share Program. $56.2 million annual savings.

Eliminate fund for Obamacare administrative costs. $900 million savings.

Ready to Learn TV Program. $27 million savings.

HUD Ph.D. Program.

Deficit Reduction Check-Off Act.
International Fund for Ireland.....like the beer. grin
Repeal the Davis-Bacon Act. More than $1 billion annually.

As long as I can still get bacon for breakfast grin, I can live with all of those and hopefully more. miles
"Title X Family Planning. $318 million annual savings."

Saves 10 times that in welfare and prison later. Anything that makes dead beats breed a little bit less is money well spent.
Quit funding wellfare for able bodied adults. miles
Originally Posted by Steve
On that ENTIRE list that's the only thing I even had to think about. I thought about it. That's up to the individual states.
So to answer your question, NO! And it would be really really REALLY be great if some of those happened.
Essential Air Service I would be worried about. That funds most of the commercial flights to anywhere in Alaska other than Anchorage, Juneau, and Fairbanks. Lots of the small commuter type airlines that fly around the midwest operate on EAS money. Of any that I saw on there, that cut could actually hurt. Plenty of small businesses get EAS money.
After a quick run through of the list, I'd say carry on.

However, due to the interconnectedness of these things (those pesky, far reaching tentacles) that we can't immediately see I would further say that our lives would be somewhat interrupted.

So continue on, after all, we have to cut those things to find out what we cut. Sound familiar?
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
On that ENTIRE list that's the only thing I even had to think about. I thought about it. That's up to the individual states.
So to answer your question, NO! And it would be really really REALLY be great if some of those happened.

I thought the same thing, as I've yet to see any improvement of a beach that didn't have a legislator's house on top of it.
I didn't see anything on there about switching to some kind of flat tax, thereby reducing the IRS payroll by X%
It would be sad to see Amtrak disappear, but I'm not real satisfied with the current level of long distance service anyway and what I'd like would probably be prohibitively expensive, so I'd reluctantly agree to let it go. It's just not worth that kind of money.
I didn't see Dept of Education and Dept. of Energy. Give education back to the states and the dept. of energy never really had a mission that I can tell. kwg
AMEN Brother!
Originally Posted by kwg020
I didn't see Dept of Education and Dept. of Energy. Give education back to the states and the dept. of energy never really had a mission that I can tell. kwg
Blasphemy! The Dept. of Energy was created in the 70s in the Carter administration to help eliminate our dependence on foreign oil!
Oh... wait a minute.... blush
The only keeper on the list as far as I am concerned is the MEP program. It really pays for itself multiple times over in the competitive efficiencies of small and medium companies.

you know what, we're way in debt. i'm not saying we have to be completely out of debt, but we have to reduce it.

and sometimes you have to cut out some things that hurt a little bit. i don't see anything on that list that hurts even a little bit. which tells me there's plenty more fat to trim.
1. End the oil depletion allowance for trillion $ oil companies and plain ol' billion $ oil companies.

2. End the non-tax status of all religions.

3. End paying farmers not to farm.

4. End crop subsidies.

5. Require farmers to build their own levees around their own fields.

That's a good start.
Originally Posted by Junior1942
1. End the oil depletion allowance for trillion $ oil companies and plain ol' billion $ oil companies.

2. End the non-tax status of all religions.

3. End paying farmers not to farm.

4. End crop subsidies.

5. Require farmers to build their own levees around their own fields.

That's a good start.
I'll support #2 (FULLY!) when the government gets out of the charity business. I will immediately support ending the exempt status for those charities that don't abide by the non political requirements of their 501c status though!
I really like those DavisBacon act paychecks, besides that was a Republican act when it was passed.
Originally Posted by amax155
I really like those DavisBacon act paychecks, besides that was a Republican act when it was passed.
Another case of why the 'minimum wage' cost way WAY more than the 'minimum wage'.
International Fund for Ireland. $17 million annual savings.

Hey, we can't cut funding to Ireland!!!!!!! eek grin

Nope, it can all go.
Another case of why the 'minimum wage' cost way WAY more than the 'minimum wage'.

First: How much is it now?
Second: What should it be?
Originally Posted by RAS2

First: How much is it now?
Second: What should it be?

1)Federally, $7.25
2) $0.00
Originally Posted by AKBoater
Essential Air Service I would be worried about. That funds most of the commercial flights to anywhere in Alaska other than Anchorage, Juneau, and Fairbanks. Lots of the small commuter type airlines that fly around the midwest operate on EAS money. Of any that I saw on there, that cut could actually hurt. Plenty of small businesses get EAS money.

Not just pecking on any particular post that would lament this or that loss but, if people want products and services they'll pay for them. If not, oh well. Must not have been that essential.

Most of the list is a few million here and a few million there. Pfft. I know 2 items either of which would save more than most 10 things above added up. stop free flow of products and humans and cash either direction on the Mexican border and end the phony war on drugs. those two alone, a half a trillion a year.
Course, a lot of people would have to find gainful employment. Some of them in Mexico.

" Eliminate Mohair Subsidies. $1 million annual savings."

That is just flat WRONG.

Mohair rocks !

GTC
I don't figure I'll miss it since I have nothing that is Mohair. grin miles
All of that stuff can go but it's not going to come anywhere near solving the problems. You have to look at the whole budget to see what it'll take to fix it. The military is the largest single item in the budget but the "non-discretionary" spending stuff like social security, medicare, medicaid, and the 30 or so programs that should rightly be called welfare but are named something else so they don't have to be classified as "welfare" are where the big money is spent. These social programs which are really enormous vote buying schemes are where the real money is spent and they're the only place where the huge amounts of money necessary to balance the budget can be cut. These huge social programs are also what keeps most incumbent politicians in office so there's virtually no chance that they're going to chop them.

You can cut the $17 million in aid to Ireland if it makes you feel better but it's just a drop in the bucket, it's not going to fix anything. Just Obama's trip to India alone cost an estimated 1 Billion dollars, 5800 times the amount spent on the Irish aid. I'd rather just keep Obama's sorry ass at home and keep the Guinness flowing.
The Department of Homeland Security should be very high on that list

The end-of-year DHS Annual Financial Report for FY 2010 showed a net cost of operations of $56.4 billion

Seems to me we got along just fine for well over 200yrs with out it, why do we need it now?

I can guarantee the cost will only go up.

Plenty of folks are used to sucking at the federal governments tit.. The withdrawl jones could be painful.
Did I miss cutting the funding of Obama care?

Dubya suspended the DavisBacon act immediately following Hurricane Katrina and the illegals flooded into Louisiana and Mississippi.
Due away with

Freddy Mac
Fannie May
NPR
All Obama Czars ane staff
Just eliminate the entire Dept. Homeland Security and revert to the old depts like fbi, cia, and other initials. Also Dept. of Education. worthless and never educated anyone). I think Egypt aid is closer to 1.4 billion/annum.
Why not curtail foreign aid? I've heard we spend $40 billion fighting AIDS in foreign countries. How about instead a newspaper ad that says, "Don't have sex without a you-know-what." Cost about $500.

How about curtailing support for the UN? Charge 'em real estate and income taxes. What good is an organization which has Libya and Iran on its human rights committee?

Tell China they can either float their currency or we'll put a 35% tariff on 'em.

Cut every agency budget by 25%. Let each agency head decide what to cut.

Make it illegal to spend money an ANYTHING that does not benefit at least 60% of the citizens. Example: Make it illegal to build a bridge in Ohio. If the taxpayers in Ohio want a bridge, they can pay for it themselves.

Appoint a bipartisan committee to cut the tax code to 50 pages. Congress to vote up or down, without amendment.

Make it illegal for any former congressman or federal employee to work for a lobbying firm.
There's nothing on that list that is really needed.
Yep, dump the whole list. At least it's a start.

maddog
That's a start, but it doesn't go anywhere near far enough, deep enough, or fast enough.
Yes a very good start. Add Homeland, HHS, HUD and the EPA and we would be really on our way. Oh yeah, eliminate all funding to the UN and kick them out of the US.
Cut with a large blade! I see nothing on that list that is essential to the country as a whole. Also check the signature line!
How about reduce all SS and SSI and welfare payments 5% and eliminate COLA in those programs for say 5 years. Someone could run the # but that would save Mucho bucks and place SS nearly back on track (ie retirement benefits paid for by current SS Tax).
Your sig line, "Let's get the U.S. out of the U.N. and the U.N. out of the U.S.!!" , I disagree with. I think the saying "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" has some merit. Spying on our enemies while in the U.S. is easier than in their home countries.
Require collection of unpaid taxes by federal employees. $1 billion total savings.
I guess I missed that little tidbit on the first read. Amazing...
I'm pretty sure that list could be added too............
Not much on this list that I can't live without. But this list is just chump change. The Congress needs to focus on some really big expenditure, like the "alternate" engine for the F-35 aircraft (GE F-136 engine). One engine is already selected and to give GE billions to develop an engine that did not make the competitive cut, is ludicrous.

The total cost of the alternate engine is not known but independent estimates peg the cost at almost $3 billion, but GE says it is only about $2 billion; and this is just to develop the engine, not tool and produce it! Either way, a waste, but the GE engine is made outside f Cincinnati Ohio, next to John Boehner�s district and many local jobs are dependent.
There's plenty of waste in the defense department to be sure. However, I'll say it again, the only way to save enough money to fix the mess we're in is to target the place where that money is being spent, and that's on entitlements.

Let's say you were one of the people who five years ago thought they should be able to buy a $500,000 house on a teacher or cop's salary. Now you're stuck with your $4000 a month house note you can't pay and you face foreclosure on your house. You can give up all your $4 starbucks coffees and cut out your 500 channel cable TV package, but you're still not going to fix your fundamental problem which is the $4000 house note. The house has to go one way or another. It's no different with the federal budget, everyone thinks that we can solve this mess by cutting out a little funding for the arts or whatever. Sure, by all means cut that stuff, we shouldn't have been funding it to begin with, but don't think that it'll fix the problem. The 800 lb. gorilla in the room that NO ONE will touch is entitlements.

Massive cuts in social security, medicare, medicaid, and all the assorted welfare programs and the ONLY way to get the budget under control.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
There's plenty of waste in the defense department to be sure. However, I'll say it again, the only way to save enough money to fix the mess we're in is to target the place where that money is being spent, and that's on entitlements.

Let's say you were one of the people who five years ago thought they should be able to buy a $500,000 house on a teacher or cop's salary. Now you're stuck with your $4000 a month house note you can't pay and you face foreclosure on your house. You can give up all your $4 starbucks coffees and cut out your 500 channel cable TV package, but you're still not going to fix your fundamental problem which is the $4000 house note. The house has to go one way or another. It's no different with the federal budget, everyone thinks that we can solve this mess by cutting out a little funding for the arts or whatever. Sure, by all means cut that stuff, we shouldn't have been funding it to begin with, but don't think that it'll fix the problem. The 800 lb. gorilla in the room that NO ONE will touch is entitlements.

Massive cuts in social security, medicare, medicaid, and all the assorted welfare programs and the ONLY way to get the budget under control.

Exactly..and of course the other Gorilla.. the military
Exchange Programs for Alaska, Natives Native Hawaiians, and Their Historical? Trading Partners in Massachusetts. $9 million annual savings.

The only thing there would be lhonda not fully cooking salmon.
Corporation for Public Broadcasting Subsidy. $445 million annual savings.

This would require PBS to have 1 week of broadcast and 11 weeks of beg-a-thon each quarter.

There are some things I like about PBS. blush
© 24hourcampfire