Home
Posted By: POC Ammo prices: Dicks vs. Walmart - 02/12/11
Does one generally have much better prices? I'm looking for CCI .22 ammo for an appleseed shoot.
Walmart is cheaper in my area.
I have never found a bargain at Dick's
I used to buy a TON of ammo from Dicks but anymore they're very shady. They mark their ammo WAY up and then do "buy one get one 50% off" sales to get people into the store......I guess they think all shooters/hunters are too stupid to figure out that little trick!!
Walmart.
"Dicks" pretty much sums them up... wink
Posted By: POC Re: Ammo prices: Dicks vs. Walmart - 02/12/11
Ok thanks guys. Walmart is local, Dicks is an hour away, but my wife is going near there today. Trying to figure out if I should send her with instructions on what to buy. I guess I'll just buy local.
Thanks.
Originally Posted by POC
Ok thanks guys. Walmart is local, Dicks is an hour away, but my wife is going near there today. Trying to figure out if I should send her with instructions on what to buy. I guess I'll just buy local.
Thanks.
Oh gosh, no comparison if Walmart is local. Dick's, Academy...even BPS and Cabela's just ain't going to beat Walmart's everyday price. Maybe once in awhile with their sale prices, but just walking in cold to get ammo, Walmart is very hard to beat. Where Walmart loses out is in caliber or some esoteric type ammo that isn't well-known. They should have CCI .22's though. That's one of their brands.
What hurts Wally World here is the fact that they won't stock enough variety in the calibers they carry. One bullet wt or bullet design. No rhyme or reason to it either, cause it's cheap stuff in some calibers and premium stuff in others. Almost like they get what didn't sell at other locations.
Posted By: POC Re: Ammo prices: Dicks vs. Walmart - 02/14/11
I bought a 50 of Thunderbolt 50 of CCI Stingers and 100 of CCI mini-mag.
Hope to get out and "pattern" the gun tomorrow. New gun, new scope, Appleseed shoot this weekend.

I know what you guys are talking about with the seemingly "scatter" of ammo carried. Also, the local one doesn't carry any HP, except .22 that I've seen.
I went to both of them yesterday, Dick's had no bulk 22 ammo. Walmart had 10 boxes each of Federal, Remington and Winchester. Dick's had a bunch of centerfire stuff but most of it was at least 10% higher than Walmart. Neither one of them had 7mm-08 or .35 Rem. frown
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
Neither one of them had 7mm-08 or .35 Rem. frown

Those calibers are a little less "in demand" so they will not stock them. If you had .308 and 30-30, loaded ammo would be easier to find.

Time to take up reloading.
Why don't you order some online? www.ammunitiontogo.com has good pricing and usually has a good selection of .22LR in stock.
Walmart definitely. Only once have I seen a sale on ammo @ Dicks and it was worth it then, but ....

If you buy at a small town Walmart vs. bigger city Walmart, they will usually be even less. Here where I live a box of 30-30's corelok run $13 - $14 where I hunt they are $11-12.... just sayin.
© 24hourcampfire