Home
Posted By: Bowhunter7259 Remington XP100 Reviews - 03/21/11
Hey Everyone, I am looking at buying a Remington XP100 in 7mmBR. I was wondering if anybody had any reviews on the xp100 in general and then with the 7mm BR. Trying to debate if I should get the pistol or not.

Thanks
Posted By: dh1 Re: Remington XP100 Reviews - 03/21/11
I have an unaltered mid grip XP in 7br set up with a Leup 2.5-8. Shoots most things quite well. From a bench and bags it's easily sub 1" @ 100yds and a whole lot of fun to shoot. Other than paper it hasn't punched anything.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Remington XP100 Reviews - 03/21/11
XP-100's are fun to shoot. Wish I still had mine! Depends on the price though. Lately some people seem to think they are made of gold.
They will flat kill a deer, I can attest to that!

Wish I had never sold mine and looking for another.

BH

I think it was 550.00
Posted By: R_Flowers Re: Remington XP100 Reviews - 03/21/11
I have two midgrip Remington XP-100 pistols chambered for 7mm BR.

I shoot these in IHMSA pistol competition and find them to be an ideal set up. They will last forever, it seems. One of mine is on its second barrel and had nearly 8000 rounds down the original Remington barrel when we took it off and put on a Shilen.

One of mine wears open sights (Bomar) and is shot in Unlimited and Unlimited half size classes, while the other wears a Leupold 2.5 X 8 scope and is shot in UAS and UAS half size classes.

Both shoot better than I can, actually. The one with the scope has shot any number of groups under a half inch at 100 yards. (five shot groups with Sierra match bullets)

The 7mm BR is a wonderfully flexible cartridge. It can be made to shoot with anything from 120 to 168 grain bullets without too much searching for loads. Try powders in the range of IMR or H 4895, etc. Most of the competition guys shoot Vihtavuori powders such as N133 or N135.

ttt
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Remington XP100 Reviews - 03/21/11
Dad bought one of the first XP's in 7mm BR, and as I was young and eager, he let me load ammo, back when it was a real man's job to make the damn cases grin If the BR isn't feisty enough for you, rechamber it for the 7mm IHMSA, or even the full length 7mm-08.

It indeed shot very well. I think H335 was the cat's meow for both velocity and accuracy. I did learn, however, that the mid-grip put the EER scope too close to me, with my short arms. If your arms are long, you may be fine with them, but do make sure the eye relief with your preferred scope works for you - if it does not, you'll want one of the rear grip models. That model is also very desireable:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: hangunnr Re: Remington XP100 Reviews - 03/21/11
XPs are fun to play with in either mid or rear grip form. Just completed the paint on this 260 Rem.

[Linked Image]

hangunnr
My favorite firearm at the moment is my center grip XP 7mm BR, with a Leupold 2.5-8x scope on it. I shoot 120 grain Hornady V-Max's over 28.5 grains of Reloader 7 with a Remington 7 1/2 small benchrest primer. It's very accurate, shoots rather flat out to 300 yards, doesn't kick much at all and doesn't have very much muzzle blast (sounds about like a 410 shotgun).

I also have another centergrip XP in 223, and I have an SSK custom XP in 308 on the way to me right now. As you can probably tell, I like XP's.

Brian.
Posted By: cal74 Re: Remington XP100 Reviews - 03/21/11
For 550.00 grab it.....

I have three, top on in this pic is a .308 with a Douglas barrel. Extremely accurate.

Bottom one is a .221 which now has a Burris 7x with Turrets on it.

Also have a rear grip XP-100r 22-250 with a Burris 4-12 on it, which I haven't even shot yet frown

ps: NICE paint job hangunnr. I should do that with my 100r

[Linked Image]
Posted By: W7ACT Re: Remington XP100 Reviews - 03/22/11
Originally Posted by cal74
For 550.00 grab it.....

I have three, top on in this pic is a .308 with a Douglas barrel. Extremely accurate.

Bottom one is a .221 which now has a Burris 7x with Turrets on it.

Also have a rear grip XP-100r 22-250 with a Burris 4-12 on it, which I haven't even shot yet frown

ps: NICE paint job hangunnr. I should do that with my 100r

[Linked Image]

Pretty pistols only thing is they are wrong handed for my use.

Definitely like the looks of the laminate stocks though.
Posted By: hangunnr Re: Remington XP100 Reviews - 03/22/11
XPs are addictive once you have your first one...

308Win
[Linked Image]

223Rem
[Linked Image]

300WSM
[Linked Image]

6BR
[Linked Image]

I've one other box stock 35Rem mid grip that's destined to be a fat barreled 22BR.

hangunnr
My 7mm BR. It is currently sitting in the factory stock, as it's easier to carry that way. Might install a sling stud on the thumbhole stock and start using it again. There is a Redfield 2-6x on it in the picture, but it now carries a 2.5-8x Leupold.

[Linked Image]

A squirrel that met the 7mm BR.

[Linked Image]

My 223. Planning on having it made into a 250 Savage in the future.

[Linked Image]

The SSK 308 that's on it's way to me.

[Linked Image]

Brian.
Posted By: Bald1 Re: Remington XP100 Reviews - 03/22/11
Mine is a 7mmBR and it is a lot of fun to shoot. Don't use it all that much though. Probably more a product of age and health than anything else.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BarryC Re: Remington XP100 Reviews - 03/22/11
I thought those things had left-side bolts? confused
Nope. You are thinking of the Savage Strikers, or possibly the Anschutz Exemplar.

Technically, the XP should have the bolt on the left side.

Brian.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Remington XP100 Reviews - 03/22/11
Wichita did make a similar pistol, and it did have the bolt on the left side. Here's one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=221105205

I'd definitely like a XP-100R .260 rear grip repeater grin
I've been jonesin for a Wichita for a long, long time.

They made them in several different variations, with bolts on either side and stocked right or left handed. One of the most beautiful guns I've ever seen was a wood stocked left handed 7mm IHMSA. I should have bought the damn thing and learned how to shoot left handed. It was THAT nice.

They also made a break open single shot that was very high quality as well.

Brian.
Posted By: mike7mm08 Re: Remington XP100 Reviews - 03/22/11
I have a XP100 in 350 mag. You really known when you touch one off. Extremely accurate. I load it down to 35 remington levels and can handle a box or two in one sitting if I had to. With full bore 350mag loads I gave up trying to shot for groups larger than two shots. I know the the third is going hurt so darn bad. I know that two shots will be touching exactly where I want them at a 100 yards plenty good enough for deer.
I contemplated getting an XP in 350 Remington Magnum once. Then I thought, "you know, I don't really think I want to own something that I'd be afraid to shoot."

A 358 JDJ is about all I can handle in a handgun without getting uncomfortable.

Brian.
Back when Handgun Silhouette first became popular, a range owner in West Texas eagerly set up a range, and hosted a IHMSA regional meet. The eventual winner showed up with an XP-100 in full length 7mm-08, shot a perfect score, and drilled holes in every single one of the brand new targets the range owner had so proudly bought for the match grin He had to upgrade steel for later events, to his great distress. grin
Thanks everyone for all the great information and you have helped me to go pick the 7br up soon. I had also thought about re-chambering the barrel to 7-08, but had talked to Steve Roe, who I guess is very well known for his work with XP's and what I will be using it for. he said that the 7br would be all I need.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Remington XP100 Reviews - 03/22/11
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
XP-100's are fun to shoot. Wish I still had mine! Depends on the price though. Lately some people seem to think they are made of gold.

If I had the guns you've sold, I'd be set up pretty well.
Originally Posted by Prelude8626
Thanks everyone for all the great information and you have helped me to go pick the 7br up soon. I had also thought about re-chambering the barrel to 7-08, but had talked to Steve Roe, who I guess is very well known for his work with XP's and what I will be using it for. he said that the 7br would be all I need.

It's hard to get a good clean rechamber on a 7 BR, either going to the 7mm IHMSA or 7mm-08. It doesn't quite clean up the chamber 100%, and can leave a ring on the case. A 284 Winchester will clean up the chamber though.

FWIW, the 7 BR will cover just about any kind of hunting or shooting you want to do. It will take deer out to 300 yards. It doesn't kick much at all. It is also one of the very few handguns that you can get away with shooting in the field with no ear protection.

Brian.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Remington XP100 Reviews - 03/22/11
Leave it 7BR. Damned rare, hold value VERY well, shoot great, and performance-wise, from that length tube, you're getting about all you can get with the BR.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Remington XP100 Reviews - 03/22/11
I think it was 550.00

HELLUVA steal!
That's dirt cheap. The action alone is worth north of $400.

Brian.
Posted By: Tony Re: Remington XP100 Reviews - 03/22/11
Mine, short of a bit of trigger work it's box-stock. I bought it for next to nothing 17 years ago after someone stopped making payements on it at a shop in California. It was a bunch of fun when I lived in Midland and would shoot the silhouette range there. It has taken a few deer and a couple of hogs too.

[Linked Image]
Tony, is that a special order Remington custom shop model?

If so, it's priceless. That's the only factory 7 BR XP that I've ever seen with a barrel under 15 inches long.

Brian.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Remington XP100 Reviews - 03/22/11
Originally Posted by 280shooter

If I had the guns you've sold, I'd be set up pretty well.

New bright shiny toys are not always what they seem to be....unfortunately I have several regrets. My downfall was a local dealer that always went to gunshows on every weekend he could and brought new stuff back. Had to sell or trade to buy frown Was young and stupid is all I can say for myself.

A good example was the S&W Model 41 5" I traded for a Ruger Super Blackhawk straight up so I could hunt with a handgun... crazy

I eventually learned but it seems a bit too slowly..
A good example was the S&W Model 41 5" I traded for a Ruger Super Blackhawk straight up so I could hunt with a handgun... crazy

Don't feel bad.

I've got a friend who traded a Colt Woodsman for a BB gun. I'm not joking.

Brian.
That was 30 years ago crazy back when extra funds were low to non-existant and I learned some hard/expensive lessons.....

Learned pretyy soon not oto lose money, but still had to sell or trade to get something different. The "new" wore off too soon..
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Remington XP100 Reviews - 03/22/11
I would think that a reddot sight would be perfect for one of these pistols. You every try that?
No, I haven't. I feel that the XP is best suited for long range work. If I need fast target acquistion, I'll tote a revolver instead of the XP.

Brian.
Posted By: aalf Re: Remington XP100 Reviews - 03/22/11
My original 7BR in an older H-S stock.

I jumped on the 7BR band wagon right away. Had to spend the $120 for the case forming die set to make them out of the 308UBR brass. 120's at 2500 is no slouch.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by aalf
I jumped on the 7BR band wagon right away. Had to spend the $120 for the case forming die set to make them out of the 308UBR brass.

You must have the patience of a saint.

First thing I did when I got my 7 BR was break the piggy bank and buy 300 pieces of Remington nickle plated brass for it.

Brian.
That wasn't an option at first. Part of the reason some got rechambered to 7-08.
That wasn't an option at first. Part of the reason some got rechambered to 7-08.

I think that was the entire reason that most of them were rechambered to 7mm IHSMA and 7mm-08. It still blows my mind that it took years for Remington to start making brass for a cartridge they designed and marketed.

Brian.
One of many bone headed moves that continue to this day.....
The electronic 700 still makes me laugh to this day.

Brian.
Posted By: Mntngoat Re: Remington XP100 Reviews - 03/22/11
i used to own a Savage striker I had rebarreled to 7 BR.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It was a lot of fun with 100 grain Hornadys on Squirrels. I have had a few XP's for silhouette competition and they make a great LR rig.

ML

Center grip 35 Rem in an HS Precision stock I used to have and a nice 15" speedgoat.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
I jumped on the 7BR band wagon right away. Had to spend the $120 for the case forming die set to make them out of the 308UBR brass.

You must have the patience of a saint.

First thing I did when I got my 7 BR was break the piggy bank and buy 300 pieces of Remington nickle plated brass for it.

Brian.

Can you still get the nickle plated brass new? I have looked on midway and other places, but have only been able to find the remington standard brass.

Thanks
Montana goat.......1986......

[Linked Image]
When the 7mm BR came out, Rem also made the 6mmBR and .22BR in the 40X, and benchresters needed brass. They offered the small primer .308 basic brass, with annealed body, to allow you to easily neck it to the smaller calibers. I even made a box of .22-250's out of it, as folks claimed that accuracy improved with the small primer. Some guys also used it for .22 CHeetahs and .22-250 AI.

Eventually, Rem offered loaded ammo and brass already formed for the BR's.

The two cases on the left are BR brass, that I formed to .22-250. Note the small primer.

[Linked Image]

Can you still get the nickle plated brass new? I have looked on midway and other places, but have only been able to find the remington standard brass.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure they have discontinued the nickle plated 7 BR brass. Heck, you are hard pressed to get your hands on standard 7 BR brass these days. I just happened to find a guy on GunBroker who was selling a bunch. Another friend bought 300 or 400 as well from the same guy.

If you need 7 BR brass, I'd suggest you get it while you can. The demand is outstripping the supply at the moment.

Brian.
Originally Posted by Mntngoat
i used to own a Savage striker I had rebarreled to 7 BR.

How did you like that Striker? I've always wanted to try one of the center grip repeater models, but they are damn near impossible to get here in the Peoples Republic.

Brian.
© 24hourcampfire