Home
Posted By: Irving_D Any Marty Robin fans in here? - 04/12/11
I was listening to some of my Dads old records and man can that guy tell a story with his words.
There were none better than Marty at marrying lyrics and music. El Paso is haunting, as is El Paso City. There is something about Big Iron that really gets me as well. One time Marty came to Des Moines for a stock car race. Something went haywire with his car. He bought a car from a local driver. When the race was over, he gave the car back, along with the money that he had won.

He is truly missed from this end of the world.

Marty Robbins made El Paso more than just another town on the Rio.

YES
Yes he could....
Big Iron, El Paso, streets of laredo,....
...Devil Woman,...Damn...the list goes on and on!.... cool

I swear they could make a movie out a few of his songs, but it would probably be better left to the imagination. I love El Paso, and Big Iron
You Gave Me a Mountain, My Woman. My Woman, My Wife. timeless.

Strawberry Roan
I own the box set
Posted By: LBP Re: Any Marty Robin fans in here? - 04/12/11
I'm a big Marty fan...
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I own the box set

Me, too. Lots of good and traditional stuff in addition to his writing!
I could sing The Ballad of the Alamo, just by memory, at about age 6.
Big Iron and El Paso have got to be two of the greatest songs ever!
Marty was a pop star before he got into Western music. White Sport Coat, etc.
The record industry pushes out crap so fast, it's hard for them to produce any classic singers anymore. As long as they get a hit single they are happy. The cowboy in the continental suit is another good one
Wow El Paso wasn't sad enough, he had to sing Feleena from El'Paso, I just listened to it.
Yep, so many good songs.

Brian.

Brian.
I definitely like his music. This is my favorite song he ever did.

Brian.

I always think of this one as "The Arizona Ranger", and it is my favorite Marty song of all time.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by WyoJoe
I definitely like his music. This is my favorite song he ever did.

Another good tune he did.

Thanks for posting Marty's music.
Good stuff.
1982 Damn seems like yesterday. Bear
Originally Posted by 308scout
Big Iron and El Paso have got to be two of the greatest songs ever!

Throw in "Streets of Laredo" and you have the hat trick.
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Strawberry Roan

Yep!
Marty is the man. Every Monday, the local radio station has all request... Well, I know the female DJ very well ( wink ) and she plays Continental Suit, or Big Iron every week.

I grew up in my youth listening to Marty play at my grandparents cabin in the mountains on the vinyl record player... Now we listen to it on CD... I miss the record player, hanging up every so often, then faint white noise, the lag between songs..
Marty went to high school in Glendale, AZ with my aunt and he worked at the local gas station and filled up my Dad's truck many a time before he made it on the national scene. My favorite is "El Paso"... I know all the words! O_C
Two of my favorites

My Father from Oklahoma listened to Marty Robbins. We had an album with him in a black outfit with a cowboy hat and gun. I think it had big iron on it for one. I bought a greatest hits album not too many years ago. I like Big Iron, El Paso, and not much else. Our tastes differ a bit. Merl Haggard went about the same way Okie from Muskogee, My own kind of hat and not much else. He loved the stuff.
Many many years ago I bought his three LP records with all the gunfighter ballads on them and at that time 8 tracks were king. I had a friend record them on an 8 track.I still have it today,but last year I found the CD that is out with all of them on it. It also has the short and long version of El Paso on it.
When I was in high schol "A White Sports Caot" was on the best sellers list.That was in the 50's
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
which cd was that song on? If you remember
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
which cd was that song on? If you remember
One here. Too soon gone from us. Purest, clearest voice in music. Could understand every word he sang. Partial to "Ruby Ann".
My dad listened to alot of Marty Robbins as well, so growing up I heard it all the time. I like all the cowboy stuff, but I especially liked some of his other stuff, such as:

Marty was always my favorite. I think it was WSM radio in Nashville that would have country artists on live Friday nights starting at 11:30pm. As a kid I would stay up and listen anytime Marty was on. Just him a piano or guitar and the DJ.
Always loved his music, we named our 3rd son after him.

Dick
good stuff....
Originally Posted by LBP
I'm a big Marty fan...

ditto
Posted By: EWY Re: Any Marty Robin fans in here? - 04/12/11
When I was a little kid I would wear my two toy single actions and listen to gunfighter ballads. I still remember those songs.

Ernie
Originally Posted by Ovis_Chaser
Marty went to high school in Glendale, AZ with my aunt and he worked at the local gas station and filled up my Dad's truck many a time before he made it on the national scene. My favorite is "El Paso"... I know all the words! O_C

marty when he was starting out often played in prescott with my wife's "uncle bob". Bob has been playing country/western around north/north central arizona since the 40's. In those days marty would play on the "row" and bruno's in miller valley/prescott. Also played on grand ave. in the phoenix/metro area at "mr Lucky's where a Lot of these guys got started. Mr Lucky's was a place where you went to drink and pick up on the ladies. Upstairs was country/western, downstairs the noise. I have always liked his stuff. I might mention uncle bob is now 87 and still picking a guitar some.
geez, a bunch of you guys must still be in trainer pants when you remember "your parents" listening to Marty. I feel so old.
A lot of his stuff had a touch of "real" to them. As a kid back in the dark ages there were still real cowboys running around. I know, i HAD a father and a uncle among others that were one.
Still have a colt s.a.a. that used to be carried as a belly gun in the day.
I don't think I have seen this one mentioned and it is one of my favorites along with the Strawberry roan. miles

Cowboy in a Contintal suit
Marty was the greatest. Another male singer who had a beautiful voice was Jim Reeves.
Big fan here.
Posted By: djs Re: Any Marty Robin fans in here? - 04/12/11
I sure enjoyed Marty Robins.
"El Paso" was one of the great songs I remember from early childhood. Listening to it again in my 20's with some musical training and experience under my belt, I was blown away by the pure genius of the song. I still have it on vinyl somewhere.
Loved Marty Robins
Marty Robbins was a fine and generous man and an excellent entertainer. I loved to hear him sing. He is still one of my favorite singers.
My dad had all of his songs on 8 track tape.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Any Marty Robin fans in here? - 04/12/11
Originally Posted by DocRocket
"El Paso" was one of the great songs I remember from early childhood. Listening to it again in my 20's with some musical training and experience under my belt, I was blown away by the pure genius of the song. I still have it on vinyl somewhere.

I'm a fan.....but what is vinyl confused
My favorite Marty Robbins memory: The PBS TV station used to broadcast The Grand Ole Opry live here once a year, during their %#$& annual fund drives. Probably back in the late 70s, best I can recall?

Marty Robbins finished the show that night and it ran extra long. When Robbins said he was gonna play all night, someone said Roy Acuff wouldn't let him. Robbins said Roy is home in bed, the heck with him and kept on playing.

Sometime close to midnight, the crowd went wild when Acuff came back out on stage and told Marty they were done.

grin
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit

Brian.

When I was in the 8th grade my buddy invited me to go on vacation with his family, camping and trout fishing, in Colorado. At every truck stop cafe on the way out from Oklahoma I could hear Marty crooning "el paso" on the juke boxes. It is my all time favorite.
Originally Posted by 4xbear

57 years old. Did he have a heart attack?
Marty Robbins was one of a kind.
Was rooting around in the LPs and had to mention "The Ballad of Bill Thaxton". Don't know how I forgot to mention it the first time around.
The blind Ranger...GREAT song.
Marty Robbins is one of all time LEGENDS.
10-4
Always liked Marty Robbins, I mean, which song. All so good!
But; I just love that searing guitar work on "Big Iron". That is hot stuff!
My favorite from Marty Robbins..........

MM

he was ok, but far from my favorite Country singer from that era.
I really like him.
I'm a fan. Big Iron is my favorite of his songs. cool
I have most of his stuff on my Ipod and Iphone. Big Iron is a favorite of mine. Like most of my music tastes the stuff done before the Beatles showed up was so much better.
Its hard to say which is my favorite, Tall Handsome stranger or Old Red are right up there
One of the all time greats for sure! Butch
What made Falena leave home?
One of my favourites was Runnin' Gun as a kid.
Man this has brought back a raft of memories. I really like to listen to Marty. This has been a walk back in time. Thanks to all. Cheers NC
Marty was a class act. He's missed.
Believed to be the first time distortion was put out on an album either on purpose or accidental.

I grew up on Marty Robbins. My grandmother played him all the time. She thought Marty Robbins and Hank Williams Sr. were the two best singers ever.

Merle Haggard impersonates Marty while Marty plays the piano. I guess he really liked Marty, named his son after him.

The two ladies at the 2:42 mark are woth the watch. They're really having a good time.

Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by 4xbear

57 years old. Did he have a heart attack?

Complications after cardiac surgery. Bear
strawberry roan
Strawberry Roan, and 160 acres....
20th Century Drifter since no one else has mentioned it smile
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Many many years ago I bought his three LP records with all the gunfighter ballads on them and at that time 8 tracks were king. I had a friend record them on an 8 track.I still have it today,but last year I found the CD that is out with all of them on it. It also has the short and long version of El Paso on it.
When I was in high schol "A White Sports Caot" was on the best sellers list.That was in the 50's
Seem to remember
it was '56 or '57. Heard the writer of the song was from Cotton Valley, La.
Big Marty Robbins fan here
Posted By: XL5 Re: Any Marty Robin fans in here? - 10/28/11
Marty was known to be one of the nicest and most charitable guys in the Opry. All the more of a shame that he died so young.

I used to suspect that he and Ray Sawyer (front man for Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show) might be the same guy.

One day it occurred to me how much they looked alike. I mean, if Marty had let his hair and 'stache grow scruffy, slipped on a gold tooth and an eyepatch, ...bada-bing, they could have passed for twins.

Then I started trying to remember if I ever had seen them together. And I couldn't think of a single time I ever had seen Marty and Ray on the same stage. Not once. And to compound the suspicion, they both were git-pickers (big gasp!). Although I have to admit I never saw Ringo Starr and Yassir Arafat on stage together, but I found that only slightly less suspicious.

Which got me to thinking. What if, every so often, the grind of being an Opry star started to wear on Marty, so he'd let his hair grow for a bit and then take a little "Dr. Hook" vacation? And how could it be I'm the only person who's figured out his little scheme?

Anyway, Marty died and Ray didn't, which sorta put a crimp on that theory.
And then there is the whole mystery surrounding the young, square-jawed, solid young man who was Marty Robbins, his disappearance, and his replacement by the thin-faced, mustached, slight fellow that they passed off as Marty. (Amazing how well the second guy could imitate the first. Oh, well, I liked them both very much.) smile
Posted By: XL5 Re: Any Marty Robin fans in here? - 10/28/11
Originally Posted by 5sdad
And then there is the whole mystery surrounding the young, square-jawed, solid young man who was Marty Robbins, his disappearance, and his replacement by the thin-faced, mustached, slight fellow that they passed off as Marty. (Amazing how well the second guy could imitate the first. Oh, well, I liked them both very much.) smile

Well, now I know why I couldn't get Geraldo interested in the story. crazy
I like all the songs on the "Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs" album.

The Master's Call
Big Iron
Runnin' Gun
Strawberry Roan
Little Green Valley
160 Acres
They're Hangin' me Tonight

I sing some of 'em (badly) to my kids to get 'em to sleep sometimes...'cause I know the words better than any of the lullaby songs...plus I'm a guy, not a Mommy.

© 24hourcampfire