Home
Posted By: LBP Most Accurate Bullet - 05/10/11
What is the single most accurate bullet of any caliber you have ever worked with?

I'll start, hands down winner is the Sierra 63 gr SMP. This bullet is amazing in all the rifles I have tried it in so far. I've used it in three different .223's and all I can say is WOW.

A public Thanks to Dober for recommending this bullet... wink
Posted By: safariman Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/10/11
Depends on the rifle, its twist, and each barrel tends to be a law unto ittself. That said, Bergers and Barnes TTSX's are hard to beat, most times.
Posted By: Seven_Heaven Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/10/11
For hunting rounds Nosler Ballistic Tips work for me. It has been my experience that if it wont shoot a BT accurately it wont shoot anything. YMMV
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/10/11
Sierra Blitzking 50 grain.

Groundhog hell.
Posted By: LBP Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/10/11
I would have said Ballistic Tips too Seven, until I tried the 63 gr Sierra. That Sierra is the most consistently accurate bullet I have ever worked with. I have not seen a rifle yet however, that wouldn't shoot some kind of Ballistic Tip...
Posted By: handwerk Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/10/11
For most of my rifles it's been the TTSX
Posted By: rost495 Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/10/11
.224, 80 JLK so far.

Of course I'm aware that flat base benchrest customs like BIB and such will easily top the above one.

ANd yep, the 63 has been a standard of a great bullet for years. We've shot them off and on since the late 80s and never really been dissappointed.
Posted By: LBP Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/10/11
I have not shot any critters with it yet, but I'm bettin it will do fine on our little whitetails around here. If its as deadly as I've heard it be my go to bullet...
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/10/11
Unless I take up long range bench rest competition, I'm not worried about the MOST accurate bullet. I've never shot one yet that won't properly hit the animal I'm shooting at inside of 400 yds. I'm more concerned about what it does when it gets there.
Originally Posted by LBP
What is the single most accurate bullet of any caliber you have ever worked with?

I'll start, hands down winner is the Sierra 63 gr SMP. This bullet is amazing in all the rifles I have tried it in so far. I've used it in three different .223's and all I can say is WOW.

A public Thanks to Dober for recommending this bullet... wink

Boy that is a tough one to answer. Every rifle is somewhat different in its likes and dislikes. Every shooter is different in the way they shoot. Every caliber has weights and shapes that are better for it than others.

So with those caviats; for MY rifle, with MY loads, the 270 140gr Nosler bt is the most accurate I have ever used. Even beats Sierra 130s which is saying something.

BCR
Posted By: Ruger 4570 Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/10/11
I have been reloading since 1958. I have shot most everything out there generally available. Making a generalzation, Sierra have been the most consistantly accurate for me since I first used them.
I will go to Sierra as first choice in bullets, I still experiment,but am seldom surprised.
Posted By: slg888 Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/10/11
.243win 70gr Sierra BK
Posted By: Teal Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/10/11
I think the op is asking - what's the most accurate you've used for your rifle and load - not a general statement like "Bergers are the best of all time, all weights, all calibers."

What's been the most accurate bullet you've ever used - for you, in your rifle, load etc.
Posted By: Coss Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/10/11
In my varmint rifles, I normally do test with and Nosler, Hornady and Sierra's. Have to say the Sierra's win most of the time and also have better luck with the flat base bullets. Think you would find different levels of accracy in varmint, target and hunting.
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/10/11
Originally Posted by Ruger 4570
I have been reloading since 1958. I have shot most everything out there generally available. Making a generalzation, Sierra have been the most consistantly accurate for me since I first used them.
I will go to Sierra as first choice in bullets, I still experiment,but am seldom surprised.

The only competion relaoding I've ever done was for the '06 M1
But it was in the 100 thousand round level.

My favorite bullet was the Sierra 168 gr BTHP Match.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/10/11
I haven't tried them all,but if a rifle is giving me trouble,I find some Sierra match bullets and if it won't shoot them ,I know it is the rifle or me.

That is why Sierra has the biggest market share of competition bullets
Posted By: lmartin Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/10/11
me and a friend used to reload together until we each got our own setup but anyway here is an interesting trend we found. in a .300wsm winchester model 70,.300rum remington 700 sps, .308win wichester model 70 a .300wby weatherby mkv and a 300win mag remington 700 sps, the most accurate reload was using a 165gr nosler ballistic tip in every one of these rifles
Posted By: Timberlake Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/10/11
A wise old man once told me, ".....the most accurate bullet is the one your buddy just told you about or the next bullet you're going to buy." Could be both, I suppose.

For me, Sierra bullets are hands down the most consistently accurate. I'm very much into the 55gr, .224 BlitzKing's, but have used the 25's and the 30's with excellent results. Affordability comes into play here also.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/10/11
Sierra 168 gr BTHP 30 Cal Match
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/10/11
130gr TTSX, 30 caliber. The 110gr 277 TSX, 85gr 243 TSX and 100gr XLC are right on its heels.
Posted By: claycrusher Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/11/11
For me it has been the TSX in most of my calibers.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/11/11
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
For hunting rounds Nosler Ballistic Tips work for me. It has been my experience that if it wont shoot a BT accurately it wont shoot anything. YMMV

Found the samething with the NBT and Accubond.
Posted By: deg967 Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/11/11
Since my loading career began (all of about a year ago) its been the TSX and TTSX...FACTORY-wise though, that $13 box of federals power shoks I picked up at WM on a last minute decision to go to the range.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/11/11
Originally Posted by 7 STW

Found the samething with the NBT and Accubond.

Should add the Accubond usually groups tighter in my rifles than the NBT.Not by much mind you.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/11/11
Sierra's and NBT's are usually what I shoot for accuracy tests... or match bullets. The Noz 155-gn match bullet was crazy accurate from a heavy .308 I had, and Amax's seem to do very well based on my limited shooting-for-groups that I've done with them.
Posted By: arkypete Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/11/11
105 grain round nose 243 out of a Browning Safari grade 1960s vintage.

Jim
Posted By: noKnees Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/11/11
I usually fall back to sierras if I have questions and I want to rule out bullets. They have shown me some of the best accuracy I have seen from a number of rifles. I have had good results and (some not so good) from nearly all bullets but they have been pretty darn consistant for me.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/11/11
I doubt there is one bullet more accurate than any other. As long as they are made with reasonable QC they will be as accurate as you are if you fit the load to the firearm. That is case prep, reasonable accuracy in powder charge and seating depth so the the bullet leaves the barrel in the same place in it's elliptical path every time. If the bullet leaves at the top of bottom of the elliptical path it will strike the target in nearly the same spot.

That is a big part of why we reload. Instead of finding the right factory loaded cartridge we can fit the bullet and velocity to the game and then load to fit the firearm we are using to the best accuracy.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/11/11
from my loading experiance over 25 years cal.to cal. gun to gun nosler BT. have usually done great as well as sierra match kings and barnes tsx &ttsx have not worked with bergers that much but do seem to have great promise but a bit picky on seating deapth more than the others from what i have seen
Posted By: Scott F Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/11/11
My results are a little different. I lived in the shadow of Nosler for many years. About an hours drive to their shop where I could get any I wanted. I like V-Max a hundred times better. Liked the sound the make when they hit a varmint. Got incredibly tiny groups with them but I could get the same with my home swaged bullets in many sizes and shapes. Maths the powder and seating dept any almost any bullet will make tiny groups.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/11/11
For varmints the V-Max or the ballistic tip,for game like deer usually the core-loc has been a good performer for me.
.243" diameter, 85-grain Sierra hollow-point boat-tail. I've owned about six rifles chambered for the 6mm Remington and that bullet was consistently accurate in all of them.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/11/11

Mine also. Many, many years ago Jarrett said that if one of his rifles didn't shoot to his expectations with Nosler BT's, he would bring it back to the shop to figure out what was wrong with the rifle.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/11/11
LBP: For "factory" bullets I would have to say the Berger 52 grain 224 bullets really stand out in several of my Rifles.
For "custom/hand made" bullets my Rifles show that the Euber 68 grain 6mm bullets (moly-coated) are tops.
These two bullets have given great accuracy in all the Rifles I have shot them in.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: rob p Re: Most Accurate Bullet - 05/11/11
My best so far is a 65 grain boat tail in 6mm by Brady Knight.
My buddy I shoot with has his best with a 68 grain by Don Lahrs.
I've been wanting to try Allie Euber's but I have another 500 Knights to shoot up.

Now if you bought some of Brady's .22 bullets. My .22 ppc puts them in a tiny little hole. I've gotten my smallest group of 0.05" with his bullets.
© 24hourcampfire