Home
Quickly, on an SAE wrench set size zero up to an inch, Which do you use the least, which do you use the most?

I thought of this last night when I had to reach for a size I rarely use.

I've got my least used size picked out but I'm gonna hold on & see if anybody else answers the same first.

1/2" is probably the most common for me to use.

Half or 9/16 most common. Least used? Probably an inch.
9/16 most common
atlest that is the one i brake the most of
The most used is the one I can't find.

The least used is the one I inevitably grab when looking for the one I need.
1/2 probably most used

19/32 least used but when you need it you need it , nothing else will fit

Mike
9/16th the most

1 the least, seems every nut that gets that size bypasses 1, 7/8 gets used some and then it seems if it's bigger than that, on to something bigger than 1

don't know why that is, but that's been my experience
Most used, probably 1/2"

Least used, 11/16" probably still has the price sticker on it.
Cresent wrench; answers both questions.

Naw, I would have to say most used is 9/16 and least used is 11/16.
I'd say 3/4"

....after that 1/2 and 9/16

GTC
Originally Posted by JOG
Most used, probably 1/2"

Least used, 11/16" probably still has the price sticker on it.

+1
Interesting question

Most used - 9/16
Least used - 11/16
Dang, lot of people saying 11/16, I use that sucker a lot!
Well, it fits easier than a 5/8 especially if you are in a hurry. grin

Back in the dark ages when I made my living pulling wrenches, Ford used more 11/16 than everybody else put together. Strange.
9/16" and 1/2" jump right out. I use a 5/8" for changing oil a lot though and a 5/16" for tightening battery terminals.

I got no idea about the least-used. One size that is odd but I seem to need from time-to-time, is the 1 1/8". Lots of sets skip that size for some reason, going right from 1" to 1 1/4". Buying like, 1 1/8", 1 1/16" and 1 3/16" sizes individually ain't cheap either. Lots of times an adjustable just won't work too.
My least used is a 13/16, I pulled it out last night to remove seatbelt bolts from a 69 plymouth.

At a quick glance I grabbed a 7/8 and a 3/4 and kind of knew I was wrong with both choices grin

Originally Posted by northern_dave

Same here. I don't have 1" wrench but if I did I say that would be the least used. I hardly ever use a 1" socket.

The most used? I don't know how to answer that one. ??????

7/16" 1/2" 9/16" ? ? ?
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
9/16" and 1/2" jump right out. I use a 5/8" for changing oil a lot though and a 5/16" for tightening battery terminals.

I got no idea about the least-used. One size that is odd but I seem to need from time-to-time, is the 1 1/8". Lots of sets skip that size for some reason, going right from 1" to 1 1/4". Buying like, 1 1/8", 1 1/16" and 1 3/16" sizes individually ain't cheap either. Lots of times an adjustable just won't work too.

So true, I've gone to town on a saturday before to buy one stupid 1 1/16 before. It does come out from time to time though.

Seems some of my trailer hitch ball nuts are that size?

The 15/16 sees a lot of use on my old tractor too. But that 13/16, that guy rides the bench for years between uses.

I've used that one quite a bit too.

Most used-probably 1/2".

Least used-5/16 or 1" with the edge going to the 1".

One size that is odd but I seem to need from time-to-time, is the 1 1/8". Lots of sets skip that size for some reason, going right from 1" to 1 1/4".

Actually I use 1 1/8" quite a bit. It fits 3/4" bolts.
But that 13/16, that guy rides the bench for years between uses.

I seem to recall having to tease out a few spark plugs with the 13/16".
hmm, yeah I guess I could see that.

So true, I've gone to town on a saturday before to buy one stupid 1 1/16 before. It does come out from time to time though.

Seems some of my trailer hitch ball nuts are that size?

The 15/16 sees a lot of use on my old tractor too. But that 13/16, that guy rides the bench for years between uses.
Walmart's, Bass Pro and the like always have that size in some China-made wrench there by their trailer hitch accoutrements.

I generally pay a little more and get Craftsman. I watch to make sure they say Made in USA though, as more and more they are not.
really? china stamp showing up on craftsman now too?

ahem Dave, how often do you use the 1 wrench?

mine only has a couple of scratches upon it determining "yep it ain't big enough"
My 1" gets some use.

I use the box end to hook into the open end on other wrenches for added leverage all the time... grin
Funny, all my standard wrenches are basically unused, seems everything I touch needs a 12mm or 14mm.
I would have to say 1/4 is the most used and 7/8 the least used by me. The biggest I have used at work has been 1 1/8 on a 60 ton AC.
9/16 = most
3/8 = least.
1/2 most common lest used 3/16
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Cresent wrench; answers both questions.

Naw, I would have to say most used is 9/16 and least used is 11/16.
9/16 yup...left handed cresent wrench wink....the 15/16 in my set...
Most used 9/16 Big truck brakes

Least used 13/16
Crescent.....?
Most used is an 8" Crescent.
Least used is my 48" pipe wrench.

Alan

Lots of "Craftsman" stuff is China made nowdays

Mike

Most used 9/16" with 1/2" a close second.

Least used seems like every other size I have.

Do use the 13/16" deep socket for plugs on small engines (yep the snowblower went to bed for the summer and the push mower came out last evening). Probably be a thousand dandelions in the yard when I get home from work today.
During the years I spent as a job & die setter my single most frequently used tool was a 3/8" socket w/Allen key insert.

A 3/8" open end/combo wrench was every bit as necessary, but used mostly with a long, cut-off Allen key and cheater pipe to break loose and cinch down socket head bolts.

Least used was probably 1/4", anything.

Nowadays my most often needed wrench is the one I can't find and my least used wrench I seem to have some how accumulated five of.
I think the 19/32 is used the least and have to go with a 1/2 or 9/16 for most used.
All the others get used a lot when you cut and bale hay.
It once would have been 7/16" for most often used out of my box.
Least? 2" who knows.

Now? 10mm .
I am always reaching for a 10, for sumthin.
Least used ( but occas. needed 37 mm for BMW's )
or a 15 mm 3/4 length socket ( not a deep well, not short )
for BMW bike connecting rods.
Or the huge "star " wrench that removes the exhaust pipe nuts.

Seems Beemers have more special tools than any other I work on.

My least used are 11/16" and 13/16", though they pop up from time to time - specifically if dealing with 7/16" studs.

My most used are pretty much all the rest, when it comes to working on farm equipment. 1 1/16" and 1 1/8" are pretty tore up, along with the 1 1/4". 1" fits the oil plugs on all my tractors.

Job I had before this one, we used a 3 7/8" knock wrench more than I cared for. One of them along with a 16lb sledge seperates the wheat from the chaff real quick.
3# speed wrench
My 1" gets some use.

I use the box end to hook into the open end on other wrenches for added leverage all the time... grin

Aahhh, Yes! My Dad taught me that trick and it has come in very handy over the years.
I just came back to the office from a job where one of my plumbers was changing out a sizeable pump and flanges. The flange bolts took a 3/4" wrench and between the 2 of us we could only come up with one! Most used wrench today-3/4". grin
Most used ranges from 7/16 through 1/2 to 9/16, depending on the job. Least used either 19/32 or 15/16.
Wrench?? Is that like vice-grips? whistle
Originally Posted by bruinruin
My 1" gets some use.

Aahhh, Yes! My Dad taught me that trick and it has come in very handy over the years.

okay I use mine that way too, I guess, but since it's in the tool box it's most often the 3/4 since it's out already.

yer a tricky bastid dave, I like that

The Good...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947046000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2#desc

the Bad...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00914019000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

and the Ugly.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00914278000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2
9/16 seems to be most common one for me. Dunno which I use the least...probably 1 inch.
Quickly, on an SAE wrench set size zero up to an inch, Which do you use the least, which do you use the most?

Well, I have never used a size "zero". smile

But apart from that smart ass answer, 1/16" followed by 13/16" is it unless we go into the odd 32nds. 1/32" is another that I just never use.

Most used runs in cycles. For a while it was 7/16" then 9/16" lately mostly 1/2" Just seems to run in streaks for some reason.

Originally Posted by 6mm250
1/2 probably most used

19/32 least used but when you need it you need it , nothing else will fit

Mike

+1 Do sets even come with a 19/32 anymore?

I've got my least used size picked out but I'm gonna hold on & see if anybody else answers the same first.

Least - 29/64
Most - 9/16 probably...

After wrenching on M1 Abrams for 14 years so far, most used is a 9/16's, followed closely by a 3/4 and 1-1/2. least used is a 11/16 or 13/16.
Zero one the least. Cresent the most.
When I was working in HVAC it was 5/16, 1/4, and then 1/2, the least used was the one I needed at 3am and took out of my tool bag.
1/4 is my least, Use the 1/2 the most.
9/16" the most. 15/16" the least.

My brother and I were going through Dad's stuff last weekend, and some of the things we kept finding had us both scratching our heads. That's after he purged many of his tools, once after retiring, then again when he moved the last time.

I think there will be a couple of Model A cylinder head wrenches headed to Ebay, soon...
in the locomotive diesel shop, we use 15/16 pretty often, but 9/16" is most used by far

still almost no metric bolts
After reveiwing all replies, it is obvious that men like large wenches less.

Well there you go Dave thats the problem with your beloved Polaris, its suppose to be a 13mm... whistle

13/16 the least, must have 20 of them hanging up. We never seem to lose those... On the other hand, never have enough 1/2, 9/16, and 3/4 around.
Anything under 3/8" the least, those little [bleep] and the 11/16".

Most used 9/16".

Dad and I changed the fuel pump on a '66 Ford F600 this afternoon(43k original one owner miles...). 1/2 and 9/16 was all that was needed, I cheated and used some fancy jointed extension and a ratchet though...grin
work, most used is 1/4", least would be anything */32

home 7/16, maybe 10mm, least 15/16
Originally Posted by ltppowell
After reveiwing all replies, it is obvious that men like large wenches less.

Lets be sure LT, can someone post a pic of fridge girl...
Today was a busy day. I'll go off the top of my head of what I did use just today. 7, 8, 10, 13, 15 and 24 mm. 1/2, 9/16 and 3/4 " in standard. A few 6mm allen headed bolts. The lifetime achievement awards should go out to 3/4 and 9/16ths as they are common to 1/2 and 3/8 bolts with 1/2 and 7/16ths wrenches following close behind!
Seems 11/16ths and 5/8ths get the nod here when changing hose fittings on oxy-acetylene rigs.
3/4 most used 11/16 least used
1/2" most at home, 1 1/16" most at work. Least at home 1", same at work.
Most used 9/16, least used 1" . Heard a story one time about a feller who was tired of always looking for a 9/16 so he went to several farm auctions till he had a beer box full of them and then liberally spread them through out his shop so one was never too far away.
9/16 is most common.

I don't remember ever having to use a 13/16.
My 1" gets some use.

Not as much now that you're married. grin
Originally Posted by tzone
9/16 is most common.

T- there was a time (just after the dinosaurs died) when nearly all the spark plugs were 13/16
On the farm we use 15/16 for everything.
least common might be anything under 10mm.
Originally Posted by levrluvr
Originally Posted by tzone
9/16 is most common.

T- there was a time (just after the dinosaurs died) when nearly all the spark plugs were 13/16

I remember that very well. Didn't think I was that old though. frown
1/2" most-- 11/32 least
© 24hourcampfire