Home
with the family.

Anybody else leave their home area this weekend?

Will be in the area for a week. If anybody has some "dogs" they want taken care of, let me know. My boy would love to shoot his .22lr a bit (with dad's supervision of course). Going to hit some state ground later in the week, but thought I would give a shout out to the WY people here.

Beautiful state you have here.

joe
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Douglas, WY on vacation.... - 05/30/11
Antelope hunted east of there a few years ago, a lot of fun for sure.
I lived in that Godforsaken, windblown town for around seven long years.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Douglas, WY on vacation.... - 05/30/11
Originally Posted by Bricktop

"Ya gotta be tough out here in the West, Pilgrim".

John Wayne
Originally Posted by jnyork

John Wayne

... grin

John Wayne
Tough ain't got anything to do with it. There're a lot of good places in Wyoming. I don't consider Douglas or Converse County to be among them. If it wasn't for I-25 or the coal mines, that damned place would dry up and blow away. And rightfully so.

Incidentally, Douglas' biggest claim to fame is the location where Charles Starkweather was apprehended in 1959. There hasn't been a hell of a lot happen there since.

John Wayne
Tough ain't got anything to do with it. There're a lot of good places in Wyoming. I don't consider Douglas or Converse County to be among them. If it wasn't for I-25 or the coal mines, that damned place would dry up and blow away. And rightfully so.

Incidentally, Douglas' biggest claim to fame is the location where Charles Starkweather was apprehended in 1959. There hasn't been a hell of a lot happen there since.

Don't forget the abundance of jackalopes. Only part of the world where they are found.
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

John Wayne

Don't forget the abundance of jackalopes. Only part of the world where they are found.
Oh yeah, that reminds me. One of the so-called "inventors" of the jackalope, Douglas taxidermist Ralph Herrick, was convicted of child molestation back in 1984.

Never heard of the guy, so it started me on a Google quest.

Now I know where Oliver Stone got his inspiration for Natural Born Killers
An old outfitter friend of mine, guy by the name of Jay Ward, was heavy in the jackalope business. I kinda think he thought they were real. grin
Posted By: las Re: Douglas, WY on vacation.... - 05/30/11
Drove thru Douglas many times '78-80. Always liked it and the surrounding country. Then, anyway. But I never spent any appreciable time there. Always regretted that cat in the middle of my lane on the south side of town one midnight....Not my fault, but still... it was someone's pet.

Douglas seemed like an advantageous place for a whole lot of hunting, and some fishing, within reasonable reach.

Reminds me of a quote from Blazing Saddles:
What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Douglas, WY on vacation.... - 05/30/11
[quote=Bricktop]I lived in that Godforsaken, windblown town for around seven long years.

Sounds perfect to me! grin
Posted By: ravenr Re: Douglas, WY on vacation.... - 05/30/11
jay is alive and well,saw him not long ago.
the jackalope has been around a long time.
vacation in douglas????????
have a fun safe visit.
heck you aint too far from me right now
Originally Posted by ravenr
jay is alive and well,saw him not long ago.
the jackalope has been around a long time.
vacation in douglas????????
have a fun safe visit.

Sometime in the last few years, Jay write a book about his hunting/guiding experiences and gave me a copy. I can't quite remember the name of it and have it here but it sure was an interesting read. The way he describes his range finder sure is a foolproof method. I would recommend that book to anyone that might be interested in hunting the way it used to be done.

Am I right in thinking the title was "Yes, Delores, it Really Happened."

I haven't seen Jay for a while but probably will next week.

Douglas and the Thunder country are kind of cool, especially this time of year with green-up.
The town has a little campground with showers, it was FREE last time but that was in 1995. Seem to remember a historical park and other whatnot. There's Glenrock, Casper, Gillette, Aurora, plenty of just-puttering-around to do, like over the hill into Medicine Bow.
Windy, sure.
Dont forget the drag racing in the summer. That will burn a good sunday afternoon.
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
There's Glenrock, Casper, Gillette
Oh, good God.
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Douglas and the Thunder country are kind of cool, especially this time of year with green-up.
Yeah, just a regular little piece of paradise.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jnyork Re: Douglas, WY on vacation.... - 05/30/11
Poor ol' Bricktop just doesn't have any appreciation of the finer things in life laugh laugh laugh

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Oakster
Dont forget the drag racing in the summer. That will burn a good sunday afternoon.

They still race at the airport???
Originally Posted by Malloy805
Originally Posted by Oakster
They still race at the airport???
Old airport. The new airport is north of town.
© 24hourcampfire