Home
What was wrong with the old set-up of long, reversible spout on the screw cap, air vent w/cap at the other side?

Now, with all the lawyerisms and "safety" systems its next to impossible to something as simple as put gas in a car. And the lack of an air vent at the other top corner slows fuel delivery considerably.

Its so bad we ended up pouring gas from newfangled containers into an old-style one that we have just to put gas in our cars.

Birdwatcher
fixing a problem that never existed
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Its so bad we ended up pouring gas from newfangled containers into an old-style one that we have just to put gas in our cars.

Birdwatcher

The easiest way to put gas in your car is the pump at the gas station.

Mike
I love mine!! I have one of those with no vent and a big green lever with a safety on it. Best can I ever had! That is once I broke it. Now the big green lever isn't connected and all there is is a spring loaded button where the lever and safety connected. Works great now!
Ran into the same problem when I bought one about a month ago. Yard sales are your friend for finding good 'old' stuff.
Just go to your local speed shop and get a racing gas jug

[Linked Image]
Someone stole the last GI can that I bought new several years ago (danged thing cost over $50). In the last year or so, I have had to buy a couple of small gas cans for chain saw gas and the gas-powered trimmers. God awful Rube Goldberg inventions that keep the gas and oil mix safe from harm, including being burned in one of my two-cycle engines!
The "Nanny State" cans are so "safe" you wind up covered with fuel, ......trying to get all that Mickey Mouse Chit to work.

.......Buy some extra "Quad Rings",....if you're going to put Ethanol fuel in em',.....

I LOVE mine ( the "Racing Jugs), regardless.

GTC
Smart and hard working people worked a long time to make lots of stuff as good as it was, until the government decided it was their duty to mess it up.

Tell me again why we put up with being ran into the ground by idiots and criminals? (rhetorical)
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Just go to your local speed shop and get a racing gas jug

[Linked Image]

Oh,....and on the nomenclature,.......nix on the choice above.

Out here we're calling them 'Fluid Containers'.

I build custom varieties, Aluminum, Stainless, etc.

...REPEAT "Fluid Containers",...what you put in em's YOUR business.

Those old aluminum "Small Kegs" that turn up at flea markets and yard sales are GREAT raw material.....properly modified, they'll last a lifetime.

GTC
I have four or five of the new one and i hate them compared to the older ones
There are water jugs that work fine if you don't mind blue gas cans.
Chevron "Delo" Oil Jugs,....the one Gallon Variety will last YEARS, if kept out of direct Sunlight.

GTC
I stocked up on the older red plastic 6 gallon ones.
one local store has the old fashioned,metal,red,5 gallon gas cans.Now they are $50.
Thats another .gov stupid joke..... they are really starting to irritate me with their crap.

I have a bunch of old cans.. but they are getting short on life... the new ones SUCK
I just bought one of the dang things a couple weeks ago for my chainsaw gas. Used it for one pour, put the fuel in an old container and threw away the new one! POS. frown
I use those ventless 5 gal plastic cans. I love them and have never had a problem with them. Stick the nozzle in the hole and turn them all the way over till they stop going glug, glug, glug.....

Alan
yea,they suck..I went back to sipioning it out of my neighbors car
Also the one gallon jobs that you stick in the hole for chainsaws and lawn machines that have the little spring loaded nozzle that slides back and forth. they stop when the gas reaches the nozzle. I haven't spilled a drop since I got mine.

Alan
Originally Posted by rifle
yea,they suck..I went back to sipioning it out of my neighbors car

now i know why my truck don't get the fuel mileage it used too
Originally Posted by Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr
Also the one gallon jobs that you stick in the hole for chainsaws and lawn machines that have the little spring loaded nozzle that slides back and forth. they stop when the gas reaches the nozzle. I haven't spilled a drop since I got mine.

Alan
I used one to fill my garden tractor. It didn't spill a drop either. Of course, it's been propped up on the tractor since the 4th while it trickles in.
It's all California's fault.
Originally Posted by crosshair
I love mine!! I have one of those with no vent and a big green lever with a safety on it. Best can I ever had! That is once I broke it. Now the big green lever isn't connected and all there is is a spring loaded button where the lever and safety connected. Works great now!

Did the same thing with mine. All three of them
Ten days of hunting shuttling guys in and out of trail heads you tend to burn through some gas. We have four of the new *safety* fuel cans and they suck swamp S! We always end up pouring from the new ones into one of our old ones then into whomevers truck we are using. Major pain in the A, but we know we can never go back to the old cans unless you can find them at yard sales.
Originally Posted by 6mm250
The easiest way to put gas in your car is the pump at the gas station. Mike

Yep, sure is !!
Now, pray tell - what's the easiest way to refuel when you abide 60 miles from the gasser and the tank is low - and then there is the tractor, and the ATV, and the generator (when the power lines are down), etc.
Originally Posted by 6mm250

Birdwatcher

The easiest way to put gas in your car is the pump at the gas station.

Mike

I don't have a gas station on my small farm, and we often hunt areas where the nearest gas station is a 75-100 mile trip on dirt roads...

whistle
I'm curious here,......WTF is the U.S. Military using ?

I mean,...if they're stuck with this same nonsense,....than what.

Oh ,...seek out and find old GERMAN "Jerry Cans" from the '60s and 70s,....again, garage sales and flea markets,......the small ones that hold about 2 gallons are FINE !

GTC

GI cans run $40 at the army navy store here, then another $8 for the old donkey D--k . I have two from when I served and would get a few more if I found them cheap
Damn !

I'd KILL (well almost) to get hold of 1/2 dozen of those 8.00 items,.....

GTC
Originally Posted by tedthorn
It's all California's fault.

BINGO!
You can't put gas in blue cans around here - the Kan Kolor Gestapo won't let you put gas in a blue can, or kerosene in a red can, have to use yellow for diesel, etc. They keep spouting "it is the law" and company regulations, but I have not found the source of any such supposed law.
Does anyone know of any such "law" or regulation that dictates this can color nonsense? I have searched but can't find it.
Probably a regulation of some kind foisted on us by the C.A.R.B. people just like the new spouts. I don't know why the rest of the country has to suffer for the idiocy in Kaliforia.

Myron
I think the federal law is that you can't put any kind of fuel in any can from which it can be dispensed into a tank mounted on any motorized tool or vehicle.
I assume your comment was sarcasm?!
That is the way it is working, for sure!

Myron
For the ventless gas cans I melted a hole in the top most spot (not the handle) & when the plastic was still soft, I threaded in a drain cock from an old radiator. One that I did needed to have a couple wraps of teflon tape to tighten it up.
To melt the hole I used a cheap electric solder gun that has a round tip on it.
New drain cocks sell for $1.99.
Works great ... no spills.
Blitz made some red plastic 5 gallon cans in the mid 1990s that had a relatively small cap (compared to their earlier 6 gallon cans) and a nice yellow vent. I've had two for about 15 years and they are great. I just found another one at an estate sale for $1 about a month ago. Just 3 more to go.
Tech Tip from Crossfire.

Those Black 5 gallon GI Water Cans are just about BOMBPROOF, there one glaring drawback being a special thread pattern on the spout,...looks like garden hose, but AIN'T.

"Panel" paint em' (just the sides) with that Krylon special for plastic,....white first, than OSHA Red over that.

You'll be cruising,....

GTC
Late last year I found a feed store that still had a pallet of the old style plastic 5 gallon jugs with a spout that stored inside and turned around with nothing on the end but a cap and a small vent cap on the other end from the spout. I bought 5 of them.

I still prefer the old metal cans with a metal spout. I've got 2 of those I inherited.

Looks like this...(by the way the place I stole the pic is selling this one for $55). Jesus Christ $55 gas can and talking about inheriting a gas can. What the hell is the world coming to.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RickyD
Smart and hard working people worked a long time to make lots of stuff as good as it was, until the government decided it was their duty to mess [bleep] it up.

Nailed it. I want that on my gravestone!

I had a few of those new CARBhole approved gas can spouts, and their name got used in vain by me everytime I gased up the tractor....until I decided to [bleep] the spout and just pour it in.
I must be outta the loop on this one.. Is this a recent development or something? I haven't even bothered to notice gas cans at any of the stores.. Is this a federal thing or just a state issue?
I'm outta the loop too. I have two 5 gal plastic jugs and a 1 gal for 2-stroke mix so I'm set.

I'm going to take very good care of them. grin
I guess I should design, produce and sell replacement spouts for all these tricky spring loaded lawyer spouts out there. I can sell them as, paper weights or what ever. What you guys do with them is your business. grin
Originally Posted by Redneck
I must be outta the loop on this one.. Is this a recent development or something? I haven't even bothered to notice gas cans at any of the stores.. Is this a federal thing or just a state issue?

It's a new federal regulation. Gas cans have to be spill proof. They all have a sort of gismo that lets air in through the spout but none of them work as designed. It takes forever to empty a 5 gal can as the gas trickles out.
Yup federal, no more vents on the back of the can so that it actually will let gas out. Of course the purpose was to reduce gas vapors which it really does well at when you suddenly spill 1/3 of the can now when you try to fill up.
One way to get gas or whatever out of these @#$%^& cans is to use one of the bulb/siphon thingies that you use to fill kerosene heaters. To fill a mower, just set the can on a block or stool that is higher than the mower tank, and let the siphon do the work for you.
To pour gas in a vehicle or tractor, use one of the long funnels from the auto parts store that they sell to fill transmissions, and pour directly from the can. Just trash the spout, but be sure to save the inner cap and seal, if it has one.

Myron
You are making something easy, hard. Just poke a hole in new type can opposite the spout with something like an ice pick for a vent. Then screw in the appropriate size sheet metal screw. When you take the screw out these new cans pour very well just like the old ones. The sheet metal screw seals them perfectly.
By jove, Craftsman, I beleive you have it. Package a drill bit with a sheetmetal thumb screw and retire wealthy. Sounds good to me.
My gas jerries are all pink.
Becarefull buying the German Army surplus ones...They are great when in good condition, as they age they have some sort of internal coating that flakes off and can clog up filters and carbs and such...

We have aweful plastic 1 gallon "cans"...When you screw the spout on, the threads and cap are so bad you just can't tighten it to get a good seal hence it always leaks when you pour..
Originally Posted by Pete E
Becarefull buying the German Army surplus ones...They are great when in good condition, as they age they have some sort of internal coating that flakes off and can clog up filters and carbs and such...

We have aweful plastic 1 gallon "cans"...When you screw the spout on, the threads and cap are so bad you just can't tighten it to get a good seal hence it always leaks when you pour..

I had 2 heavy steel Jerry cans that I threw away for just that reason. The paint inside just kept flaking off, then the bare metal started rusting when they were empty.
I don't miss them much. To get the caps tight enough to not leak took a few whacks with a hammer. Then you needed to hit them again to get them off.
What was wrong with the old set-up of long, reversible spout on the screw cap, air vent w/cap at the other side?

Now, with all the lawyerisms and "safety" systems its next to impossible to something as simple as put gas in a car. And the lack of an air vent at the other top corner slows fuel delivery considerably.

Birdwatcher

AMEN FROM THE CORNER!!!! Everytime I look at one of these things I want to slap a lawyer.
Originally Posted by Craftsman
You are making something easy, hard. Just poke a hole in new type can opposite the spout with something like an ice pick for a vent. Then screw in the appropriate size sheet metal screw. When you take the screw out these new cans pour very well just like the old ones. The sheet metal screw seals them perfectly.
If you use it a lot, the screw will start getting loose. In that case, just epoxy a nut over the hole and use a common thumbscrew.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Redneck

It's a new federal regulation. Gas cans have to be spill proof. They all have a sort of gismo that lets air in through the spout but none of them work as designed. It takes forever to empty a 5 gal can as the gas trickles out.

Originally Posted by NathanL
Yup federal, no more vents on the back of the can so that it actually will let gas out. Of course the purpose was to reduce gas vapors which it really does well at when you suddenly spill 1/3 of the can now when you try to fill up.
Y'all gotta be kidding me.. Never heard so much as a sniff of this law..

But from what I've read above, it appears the NANNY-AZZED gov't is again completely screwing something up (as usual).. Good thing I've got a few old cans.. I better be takin' a whole lot better care of 'em so they'll last me forever..

So, what about those portable 6-gal tanks for use with outboard motors? The ones that have the vent on 'em? So, the new cans have no vents?? How does the engine not starve for fuel?

Anyway, I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow and see what they have on the shelf.. If they're all the new, NANNY-AZZED gov't cans I'll be awful happy I don't have to buy one..

NANNY-AZZED GOV'T SUCKS!!!!! mad
Permeation...it's what the new catch phrase is at work with gas tanks.
I work for an injection mold company that supplies a major lawn mower company its gas tanks for their small engines.
There is a drop dead date for all of the tanks to not "Permeate" or vaporize "through" the tank itself. We are also changing the screw type lids on the tanks to a 1/4 twist with no vent.
All thanks to that far from Missouri westerly state and let�s not forget our US elected chosen ones.

© 24hourcampfire