Home
Judging from threads I've read there are quite a few axe slingers on this forum. How about a shout out for your favorite axeman and/or who you think is the best?

I'm thinking a lighter thread than all the political B.S. would be nice so list away.

1. Jimi: I have to say he is the best--consumate musician and innovator even if he couldn't really sing.

2. SRV: My fave and the only reason I put him just a skosh behind Hendrix is that Jimi was the pioneer and you can hear him in Stevie's playing.

3. Henry Garza: A vastly underrated and underappreciated guitarist (Los Lonely Boys). He and his brothers are TIGHT and Garza has assloads of tone.

In no particular order...

Mark Knopfler
Tony Iommi
David Gilmour
Keb' Mo'
Santana
Angus Young
Eddie Van Halen (actually better rhythm than lead, IMO)
Gotta have Clapton in there. Alvin Lee was a very good picker with TYA.
SRV all the way. Just feel he put more soul into it than Jimi.

A new kid on the block is Shawn Starski, keep an eye on him. Played with Jason Ricci, a very talented harmonica player.

Other notables are Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Johnny Lang.
As a guitar player, I'll mention a few of my personal influences in no particular order...

Robert Johnson
Django Reinhart
Freddy King
Duane Allman
Andre Segovia
Ritchie Blackmore
Billy Gibbons

+1 on SRV, Clapton, Hendrix, Gilmour.

Don't forget Jeff Beck, John McLaughlin, Al DeMeola... Just too many for me to have a fave...
Have never seen Eric Clapton in concert, but people tell me
that it seems like the music comes from inside of him.
SRV
Clapton
Santana
Zakk Wylde
Tony Rice little known outside of guitarist,the guitiar players gutiarist!

In no particular order...!

David Gilmour

BucketHead

SRV

John Williams - Koyunbaba: Part I - Part IV

Gotta be Don Ross.

No one has said Beck or Satriani

Impossible to pick just one, or even a dozen for that matter.

Looking back Beck is there.
Clapton
^
^
^
^
^
Bonamassa
^
^
...the rest

Mayer gets a mention but often too goofy to watch.

Jimmie Page made a few records.
Funtwo

This completely sucks. laugh
Mark Knopfler
Joe Bonamassa
Leo Kottke
Duane Allman
Roy Rogers
Lindsey Adams Buckingham doesn't seem too bad.
Mark Knopfler I think is pretty good too.
Originally Posted by MojoHand

Mark Knopfler
my #1

Beck and Batton

I used to be a bigger Clapton fan but he is too eclectic for me. While I would never downplay his skills I just can't put him too far up my list anymore (although he'd make my top 20).

To me, SRV even out Jimi'd Jimi. I think Stevie's versions of both Little Wing and Voodoo Chile are better than JImi's. BTW, I remember seeing a Youtube clip of Satch, Vai, and Mamlsteen performing Little Wing together. To say it sucked is an understatement. Even though all three of those guys have tremendous virtuosity, the soul and feeling (and tone) of SRV (or Jimi) just wasn't there.

Originally Posted by Karnis
This completely sucks. laugh

Just about to post this...Karnis beat me to it! Treat yourself tonight and hit play.
Roy Clark
Originally Posted by fluffy

Mark Knopfler
my #1

Knopfler was/is so musical. His licks on "Sultans of Swing" are as good as it gets. Not to mention if he didn't pioneer it, he at least made famous the middle/bridge pickup sound that eventually gave us the 5 position switch on the Strat!
Oops! How could I forget one of the most melodic rock guys out there...Tom Scholz. designed and built his own pedals, too.

We used to play this song in our church band all the time. An absolute blast to rock away on.

Billy Zoom.
One of my favourites from Mr. Knopfler

Here Ya go Fluffy, Some vintage Knopfler with Paul Franklin on pedal steel

Mike McCready (Pearl Jam)
Jimmy Page
Eddie VanHalen
OK, gotta give props in the acoustic realm to Tommy Emmanuel. My buddy is obsessesd with him and keeps trying to get me to go see one of his concerts. He said he is a great entertainer as well as mind-blowing guitarist. One of these days I'll go see him (maybe if he comes to Boise) but I really prefer a band with a bass player and drummer to kick things in the butt.

Stevie Ray
Warren Haynes gets my honorable mention
Pat Martino
Originally Posted by fluffy
my #1

Paul Franklin on pedal steel guitar ain't too shabby either!
Oh, and add Sonny Landreth to my list.
nothing but "Slowhand"..
Eric Clapton and he's a gun guy!!
Rory Galagher

I also forgot to mention George Benson.
Chet Atkins
Rock.....Ed VanHalen

Country.....Roy Clark
Junior Brown.
Originally Posted by Jericho

Youtube is your friend in this. Treat yourself.
Alex Lifeson is my favorite. Great rhythm AND lead player, especially live. Tommy Emmanuel is amazing.
Mine's just what I like the best/listen to the most -

SRV - he was better at Jimi than Jimi
Albert Collins
Rory Gallager
Robert Johnson
Jason Isbell
Mike Cooley
Django Reinhardt
Clapton but his primarily stuff pre 1980
Mike Zito
Muddy Waters
Jimmy Vaughan (under rated by most as a player)
I used to be a bigger Clapton fan but he is too eclectic for me. While I would never downplay his skills I just can't put him too far up my list anymore (although he'd make my top 20).

To me, SRV even out Jimi'd Jimi. I think Stevie's versions of both Little Wing and Voodoo Chile are better than JImi's. BTW, I remember seeing a Youtube clip of Satch, Vai, and Mamlsteen performing Little Wing together. To say it sucked is an understatement. Even though all three of those guys have tremendous virtuosity, the soul and feeling (and tone) of SRV (or Jimi) just wasn't there.

Ya that one's got me sussed as well. As much as I love Jimi's version Stevie does it well.

Jeff Beck

I'm not saying this guy is the best but he can hold his own.

Anyone mention Mick Taylor???

And let us not forget our 2nd amendments rights champ, good with an axe and an AK....

Steve Morse by far.....
Best acoustic I've heard live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glBwJWdSqCY

Tony Iommi
Akira Takasaki
George Lynch
Michael Schenker
John Sykes
Oz Fox
Ace Frehley
Neal Schon
Ritchie Blackmore
Jake E. Lee
Forgot to add 2.

Brian Setzer and BB King.

Here's BB at the height of his powers (IMO) - he proves that it's not all the notes you put in but the notes you leave out too....

Ok some more fire from Stevie. He's smokin' both literally and literally! Keep in mind he's playing with 13-56 strings on old No.1 there. You know how high the action has to be set? I remember reading once that Ted Nugent picked up Stevie's guitar and said he didn't see how anyone could possibly play the thing like he did. And, lord, that awesome Fender amp tone--the best in the world!!!

ELMORE JAMES

MAGIC SAM

BUDDY GUY

OTIS RUSH

Originally Posted by teal
Forgot to add 2.

Brian Setzer and BB King.

Here's BB at the height of his powers (IMO) - he proves that it's not all the notes you put in but the notes you leave out too....

Teal, I got to hear B.B. in concert and he's every bit the king. And you're right when you mention his 'economy' of sound. It brings to mind the quote by Arnold Shoenberg 'rests always sound well'. Too much of modern rock has forgotten how to roll--that comes with leaving space in your music for it to breathe--it really adds to the groove (see AC/DC for good examples). B.B. always got the most from the least and he's one of the few guitarists in history with a 'signature sound' that you can easily identify.

I also saw Setzer at the height of the swing revival craze. I was not/am not into swing, or even rockabilly, much but that guy CAN PLAY! He was amazing and his band super tight (and it was cool watching his bass guy 'shred' on that huge upright bass).
SRV rocks but all his good ones have been posted.
Zoom zooms
BB is king
Jimi jams
Steve Morse in his Dixie Dregs days! Oh man.

Dickey Betts was the star

Beck beckons

These 2!

While his best days IMO were with the Dixie Dregs Steve could pick

Mojo - yeah BB is a favorite as a player. I can appreciate what guys like Vai or Satriani do but to me that's just raw displays of ability. Can't say that at any point in my life I HAD to listen to something of theirs to express how I feel or anything like that. Great displays of ability but nothing has ever "spoken" to me like SRV, Albert, BB etc.

Cooincidence - I just got a text from my mother, she's down in Memphis on her Road King. Just left Rendevous ribs and is going to BB's club.
Should really mention two of the greatest rock songwriter/guitarists who blew on the scene and bitch slapped all the hair/glam bands into place...

Slash and Izzy Stradlin--certainly the 'guns' behind Guns 'n Roses.

Appetite is still one of, if not the, greatest rock albums ever.
Elmore James is seriously cool and should be on more people's lists...
Lotsa good ones here. John 5 is insane. Heavy Metal chicken picken?

Mark Knopfler playing Brothers In Arms.

JEff
Mojo - yeah BB is a favorite as a player. I can appreciate what guys like Vai or Satriani do but to me that's just raw displays of ability. Can't say that at any point in my life I HAD to listen to something of theirs to express how I feel or anything like that. Great displays of ability but nothing has ever "spoken" to me like SRV, Albert, BB etc.

Cooincidence - I just got a text from my mother, she's down in Memphis on her Road King. Just left Rendevous ribs and is going to BB's club.

Teal,

I sure wish I could have heard Stevie live. I was living in WI at the time of his last concert. Unfortunately, I was just a kid then raised in a fundamentalist Baptist home and that music was strictly taboo. I didn't come into it until much later in life.

You sure hit the nail on the head as far as feeling goes. That has always been my problem with Van Halen and much of the 80's guys. It's like their solos were just a means to show off the latest shred technique rather than taking the song somewhere. To me, the best guitarists always put the music/song first. That's what moves you--THEN you notice, 'hey, this guy is really good to boot'. That's why I'll aways be a blues guy.
How bout Johnny Winter??

Mojo - my aunt and uncle were at Stevie's last concert. Wish I could have been there as well.

Slightly off topic - Don't know how many will recognize the song but this guy took a syrupy modern R&B balland and gave it some real soul. Makes me wonder how many good/great songs are out there and just need to break out of the mold they were created in.

The original (holy chit - 94 already) -

Randy Rhoads and James Burton are two of my all-time faves. Randy might be the greatest metal guitarist ever, although that is open for debate.

I also love guys like Gary Moore, Tommy Bolan, Mick Ralphs, and Brian May. They may have been over-shadowed by other members of their respective bands, but were/are tremendous musicians.
There are so many great guitarists that it makes it impossible for me to pick just one favorite. A few that I have not seen mentioned yet are:

Peter Green
Derek Trucks
Robben Ford
Doc Watson
Leo Kottke

Ok with the all the Duane Allman votes and Dickie Betts mention we gotta throw in the only other true Southern Rockers--Skynyrd. Rarely, if ever, have three guitars worked so well together without stepping on toes or vying for the spotlight. Here's Steve Gaines' masterpiece (R.I.P.). Oh yeah, the new lineup with Hughie Thomasson and Ricky Medlocke isn't exactly lacking either.

Can't believe no one has mentioned the 'Velvet Bulldozer' yet. Those huge hands and fingers picking away on Lucy and his signature sound which can be heard in SRV, Jimi, Clapton, Buddy Guy, and a whole bunch of rockers whether they know it or not. Of the 3 Kings he's my fave and definitely the most influential.

Listen to some DBT. Before they let Jason Isbell go. 3 guitars. If you like Skynyrd- you'll prob like them.

Jason Isbell, Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley. (tho IMO they shoulda and coulda kicked Shonna to the curb and kept Jason - love his guitar/voice/songwriting)

Clapton and Hendrix, equal but very different distinctive styles. SRV could play both styles.
I gotta throw up some LLB to showcase their insane skill. This is what happens when you have three musically gifted bros who grow up playing together. Henry's guitar tone is PERFECT! And way better singers than SRV, Jimi, Clapton or pretty much most rockers. Enjoy.

Annnnd for some more great Texican blues with some great blues harp thrown in...

Song starts at about 6:00 min mark. Till then they're noodling around riffin' off each other.

Elmore James is seriously cool and should be on more people's lists...

True that

Sycamore
Nobody has mentioned Robin Trower. Under-appreciated.

At one time I was a fairly serious guitar player, but have to say that my attention was mostly grabbed by the bands - the whole package.

I could never get in to the guys who made speed and techie crap the show. Give me a Pink Floyd/David Gilmore "Comfortably Numb" or Dire Straits/Mark Knofler "Brothers in Arms" economy of "scale" guitar part to reach out and grab your beating heart out of your chest. Santana on Samba Pa Ti (SP?)

Les Dudek was another guy that sang with a guitar.

Randy Rhoads and Ed VH smacked us with some technique but it got carried away by others afterward.

SRV was so awesome live.

Jimi was an innovator.

Hats off to all of the guys like Iommi, Page, and the whole crew of late 60's, early 70's British rock.

Page is a funny sort. I almost can't stand to listen to Zepplin any more, but I'd almost bet that the only person who has played Stairway live more than me would be Jimmy Page, and I haven't played the song in 15 years. Can't listen but I sure used to imitate it often. Love me some "Rain Song".

WishBone Ash for some guitar harmony. Think "Jail Bait".

Skynerd was another trend setter, along with the Alman Bros.

ARS for some quality musicianship. Love to play those songs.

I could go on and on but truthfully it was the whole package that got me rather than a guitar player per se.

Clapton deserves metion, BTW....

'Nuther under appreciated dude - the guitarist from Black Foot.
Stevie Ray Vaughan
I don't claim to be a big music snob but I got drug to a bon jovi concert in Dallas last year by a girl and I thought richie sambora could pick a note or two. What am I missing?
Don't know if he's the best, but George Lynch is pretty damn good!

Not a thing wrong with Sambora, though I have no idea what his more recent work is like.

When "Runaway" hit the air it was a decent song that deserves respect.
Man, I think I like 'em all.....
Randy Rhoads was as good as they come:

Brad Paisley and Keith Urban aren't too shabby for Country artists.

Gezzzz, there are some great ones to be heard..!

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Gary Moore
Rory Gallagher
Phil Keaggy
Jimmy Paige
Santana
Dickie Bets
Joe Walsh
Steve Morse

I'll also admit to liking Jerry Garcia with David Grisman on the mandolin. cool

+1 Henry Garza (and LLB)

As well as a host of others.

It might be a surprise to some,but Vince Gill is a good one. He does a lot of his own stuff,unlike some who like to carry a 6 string around for the look...
Joe Satriani on six strings and Billy Sheehan for bass
Steve Vai for how versatile he is, Zakk Wylde for metal, although it's a toss-up between him and Dimebag Darryl(RIP), SRV for bluesy stuff. There are a few other guys, but those are the main ones.

Vai is ridiculous live. He's probably the most flawless technician live I've ever seen.
Favorite: John Frusciante. Beautifully different.
These guys at Candy Rat records keep impressing me. I've bought all of Andy McKee's records. Antoine Doufor, and Don Ross are also really good. I've been listening to Stephano Barone doing Batman/Alexander Supertramp for a couple weeks. I found this guy last night, and he's got great rhythm. If you click the link, along the bottom are thumbs of the other artists. I don't like the slap the guitar and make weird noises with it vids, but some of the music is really nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slgdbHowNb0&feature=BFa&list=SP447B977301B3AB7D&index=7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ7N-oAKRic&feature=related
need to check out Orianthi Panagaris
Jimmy Wahlsteen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kKR5XuYL9c&feature=fvwrel

With Don Ross.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfksEfpUAlM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np9YfcIdddA&feature=related
Tommy Emanual
Originally Posted by horse1
Zakk Wylde

+1 and I'll add Dimebag.
Other than these two cats, there's not much I can add here. Ya'll got the bases covered pretty well.

Brian.
Originally Posted by rob p
These guys at Candy Rat records keep impressing me.

No doubt about it. They're a very small fraternity who are in a class by themselves. I like Don Ross not only because of his outrageous mastery of the guitar, but because he writes *great* music. In fact, most of those Candyrat guys play a lot of Don Ross' music.

"Tight Trite Night", done by Andy Mckee isn't something to have on the car stereo. It'll get ya a ticket.

Originally Posted by pixarezzo
Oh, and add Sonny Landreth to my list.

+1. I like to hear him playing with Knopfler. Like this-

Fave is Billy Gibbons..

Brian.

Brian.

Brian.

Brian.

Brian.

Brian.

Brian.

Brian.

Brian.

Brian.

Brian.
The man who Steve Vai said was the finest guitarist he ever saw play. I agree with him.

Brian.

Brian.

Brian.

Brian.

Brian.

Brian.

Brian.

Brian.

Brian.
Montoya, Kottke...

Hendrix stepped outside the box but his style is not difficult to duplicate and many did so. Precious few rise to the level of Montoya or sing as badly as Kottke. He can make a guitar go interesting places nonetheless.
Originally Posted by Monkey_Joe
'Nuther under appreciated dude - the guitarist from Black Foot.

Yep great band . Was thrilled to go see them.

[Linked Image]

Till the warm up band played this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC71fFdCsbk&feature=related

Looked and sounded a lot like this. ^^^^

Losts of great guitarists , youtube always crashes my old comp on threads like these , but I enjoy them cool
Originally Posted by rifle
...Vince Gill is a good one....

True that. Great voice, too. Gill was a guest at Clapton's Crossroads guitar-fest a while back. If that doesn't speak volumes regarding his talents, I don't know what does. Another underrated guitarist is Marty Stuart. Check out his "Hummingbyrd" video on YouTube.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Hendrix stepped outside the box but his style is not difficult to duplicate and many did so.

Did he though? I listen to Hendrix and I hear Curtis Mayfield and Buddy Guy. His on stage antics weren't much different than anything T-Bone Walker or Magic Sam did. Hendrix was just the first to do it in popular music, hence the reason everybody flipped over it - they'd never seen that kind of stuff before. Hendrix was a brilliant player, but he didn't do anything that was all that new or unique.

Brian.
Speaking of Gill - Notorious Cherry Bombs are a kick!
Speaking of Gill, Stuart, and Crossroads...and the added bonus of Jerry Douglas on dobro.

Man, there is so many great ones! My vote goes to Roy Clark.
That man can play ANYTHING with strings.
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
Hendrix stepped outside the box but his style is not difficult to duplicate and many did so.

Did he though? I listen to Hendrix and I hear Curtis Mayfield and Buddy Guy. His on stage antics weren't much different than anything T-Bone Walker or Magic Sam did. Hendrix was just the first to do it in popular music, hence the reason everybody flipped over it - they'd never seen that kind of stuff before. Hendrix was a brilliant player, but he didn't do anything that was all that new or unique.

Brian.

You sorta put meat on the bones of my point.

You sorta put meat on the bones of my point.

That's what I was trying to do.

Brian.
Andre Segovia - period.

Chester and Lester.
1. Paul Kossoff
2. Eric Clapton
3. Gary Moore
then the rest.

John
(Playing bass for 40 years)
Originally Posted by Jericho

I have and it do.
But he is at his best when pushed by Bruce and Baker. His other rhythm sections are all replaceable as they have been over the last 40 years.

John
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Andre Segovia - period.

For his idiom of music, he's the best. But he was so rigidy trained in the classical style that in a lot of ways it limited him as a player. But in his niche, he was the best.

Brian.
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
But he is at his best when pushed by Bruce and Baker. His other rhythm sections are all replaceable as they have been over the last 40 years.

John

By his own admission, some of Clapton's worst playing was when he was playing with Cream. Their studio stuff was superb, but it sort of fell apart when they started doing the really long jams in their live shows. Clapton also claims that the best rhythm section he ever played with was Carl Radle and Jim Gordon.

Brian.

John

By his own admission, some of Clapton's worst playing was when he was playing with Cream. Their studio stuff was superb, but it sort of fell apart when they started doing the really long jams in their live shows. Clapton also claims that the best rhythm section he ever played with was Carl Radle and Jim Gordon.

Brian.

I read Clapton's book, so I knew that, but I do not think he played his best music with those guys. It was a sterile period for him, I think.

Cream made Clapton grow. He admits that it taxed him to play everything he knew by the end of a concert. Because I play, I know what that means and it would really be something to be that drained.

Because the thread asked "our" opinion, I love to know what you think?

John
I read Clapton's book, so I knew that, but I do not think he played his best music with those guys. It was a sterile period for him, I think.

Really? I think the Layla album is not only his best in terms of material, but his best in terms of his playing as well. Duane really pushed him to play his best. That live Dominos album without Duane is pretty hot too.

Different strokes I guess.

Brian.
Jimi
SRV
Buddy Guy
Duane Allman
Johnny Lang
Santana
Albert Collins
Warren Haynes

Really? I think the Layla album is not only his best in terms of material, but his best in terms of his playing as well. Duane really pushed him to play his best. That live Dominos album without Duane is pretty hot too.

Brian.

It is fine to have different opinion. I look at it this way.

I believe there are 3 perspectives on music:
1. Guirat player - what he see's in the playing, tone, guitar, amp etc
2. Bass Player - what he see's in the playing as he would fit in, tone, guitar, amp etc
3. Listener - someone who listens to the toal band result and likes the artist because of the sum of all.

When I listen to a guitar player, I listen to the way his fingers contribute to the tone, his style and finesse, notes selection and theway they are played, the guitar and amp as a major influence on the "sound" and then how tasteful it fits into the mix.

There is a lot to it and it all makes up an opinion. That is why our album collections are never the same, and that is ok.

Back inthe early 70's I had a couple of drunken mates who used to scour the import shops looking for weird and unknown acts. These weekend binges turned up some interesting acts that actually made it big like KISS, QUEEN, URIAH HEEP, MONTROSE and many more I can't recall. Sometimes the foundation recods were their best and the commercial reality that followed poorly shadows the bands' real capabilities.

John
[/quote]

Brian. [/quote]

Layla is probably the greatest rock/blues album of all time. Hard to believe that Tom Dowd barely got the tape rolling when Duane and Eric started jamming on �Key to the Highway�.

My Fav is �Sky Dog� Duane Allman � no one can match that tone

Other mentionables:
Rory Gallagher
Warren Haynes
Buddy Guy
Jerry Garcia
Derrick Trucks
and I don�t think anyone mentioned Luther Dickinson yet
I'm the same way you are John. I like to listen to great guitar players, regardless of genre, although I wasn't like that until I started playing myself. I just liked Clapton and Duane Allman when I first started playing. Then I got turned on to Wes Montgomery, Mike Bloomfield, Paco De Lucia, John McLaughlin, Roy Buchanan, guys like that. They're all unique in their own way, and I would like to think I've picked up a little something from all of them. Strangely enough, the only guy I've ever made a concious effort to play like is Dickey Betts, who wasn't even my favorite guitar player in the Allman Brothers. His stuff is pretty straight forward though, which makes it easier for me to work with. I can't really wrap my head around the stuff Duane and Derek do, plus I can't play slide for chit.

Brian.
Buddy is WAY under rated IMO.

Am I the only Johnny Lang fan here? Great young talent. Love his voice also.........
Originally Posted by djb

Layla is probably the greatest rock/blues album of all time. Hard to believe that Tom Dowd barely got the tape rolling when Duane and Eric started jamming on �Key to the Highway�.

I agree with you 100%. Not only is the playing great, but the songs are top notch too. The origanal tunes are some of the best Clapton ever wrote - I don't even think Layla is the best song on the album to be honest. And the covers are really chosen well. That version of Have You Ever Loved A Woman is something else - Clapton's intro, then Duane's slide solo? Man oh man. They cut that live to boot.

Brian.
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Buddy is WAY under rated IMO.

I think that's mainly due to the fact that when he was really active, he never had a whole lot of material or any big hits. He's actually far better known now than he was back in his heyday. And a more down to earth, cool guy you will never find.

Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Am I the only Johnny Lang fan here? Great young talent. Love his voice also.........

I saw Johnny play the other day - I don't recall who he was with, but I had no clue it was him until they introduced him. Last time I had seen him he was a little blond headed kid. He sure grew up to be a handsome dude, and he can still play the neck off that Telecaster. He's a lot better singer now, too.

Brian.
I think my favorite Buddy stuff from back in the day include "Live at the Checkerbord Lounge", "D.J. Play My Blues", and "Breaking Out". All 3 are tremendous.

I'm about 2 put in some Johnny Lang "Long Time Coming" right now. I think I still like "Wander This World " better.

I have some recordings of Johnny playing with Buddy, and some of Buddy playing with SRV. Good stuff......
I know it�s sacrilegious but I not a big fan of the song Layla except for the coda at the end. The song sounds like they took too many diet pills.

Duane had that skill of getting so much out of one note�..BB King is much the same in that regard. Playing fast is NOT to be confused with playing WELL in my opinion.
Duane was definitely one of the best of the best IMO.....
FWIW, I'm not a big "Layla" fan either.......
Originally Posted by djb
I know it�s sacrilegious but I not a big fan of the song Layla except for the coda at the end. The song sounds like they took too many diet pills.

I actually think the song itself is better than the coda, which they tacked on later. The intro lick - which is straight out of the Albert King handbook - was the first lick I ever learned to play. So it has a lot of sentimental value to me. I think "Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad?" is a stronger song and performance though. The live version from the Dominos Filmore album is killer as well.

Originally Posted by djb
Duane had that skill of getting so much out of one note�..BB King is much the same in that regard. Playing fast is NOT to be confused with playing WELL in my opinion.

You're right, although Duane could play extremely fast and still get across his point. He was a very savvy player - he could build up tension that seemed to go on forever, and get you on the edge of your seat waiting to see where it went next. Hell, I still get worked up listening to him play and there's nothing on record he's done that I haven't heard countless times already.

But BB is the master of minimal playing, without a doubt. That guy is a national treasure.

Brian.
I've always felt that from an emotional standpoint, Peter Green is one of the most powerful players to ever pick up a guitar. You can really hear how tortured his soul is in his playing. It's a shame what happened to him and Danny Kirwan (a fantastic player in his own right), but at least Green has recovered to a certain extent and lives a productive life. Kirwan never recovered, and is still living in a homeless shelter somewhere in England after spending years living on the streets.

Brian.
No Zappa fans? The man played a wicked guitar.
Originally Posted by thismortalcoil
No Zappa fans? The man played a wicked guitar.

And he had that Camarillo brillo...and stinkfoot, too.

Brian.

Brian.
Lot of great players named, a few others I really like that weren't mentioned are: Charo(not to mention a great set of t*ts), Steve Howe from Yes, and Bill Nelson from Be Bop Deluxe.
+1 on Peter Green.

Johnny Lang definitely deserves mention as several have.

Here's another guy you don't see too much...and on steel guitar to boot. He does some pretty mean Hendrix covers, too. (His cuz' on bass isn't too shabby either.)

It's interesting the number of people who prefer 'soul' to virtusoity. Of course, the two are not mutually exclusive but I have always put the song first over and above the artist.

There are some mind-blowingly gifted guitarists, acoustic and electric, but technical prowess has never moved me beyond the mental appreciation of said skill.

I am not a classical or jazz fan but I certainly appreciate the skill of those who are masters. Same with many of the acoustic guys (Ross, Emmanuel, Kottke, etc). I just groove to a great song played by a tight band more than sheer ability (Tina Turner and her band "Live at Arnhem" comes to mind). That's why I'm a big SRV fan and don't get excited over Van Halen, Malmsteen, Vai, etc. They are awesome players but I'd rather hear a soulful, 'rougher' player with a great song.

Perhaps it's best summed up in a T-shirt I have of Hound Dog Taylor. It bears his great quote on the back, "When I die they'll say he couldn't play sh*t, but he sure made it sound good!".
And now after all the votes are in we must acknowledge the undisputed greatest of all time. Many of those mentioned can easily rate a '10' out of '10' but only one deserves an...'eee-leven'.

"Ladies and gentlemen, NIGEL TUFNEL!" laugh

I'm glad Peter Green's name is mentioned. A supreme player!
Danny Kirwin's troubles I hadn't heard of. Talented player also.
Mojo, I'll give Eddie Van Halen some slack just because of the timing of his playing. We were immersed in disco ducks and WTF. As a young player at the time it was like a breath of fresh air to an oxygen starved man. I needed it bad.

I'll agree on the Malmsteen and Via thing. Speed does not overrule taste.
Originally Posted by rifletom
I'm glad Peter Green's name is mentioned. A supreme player!
Danny Kirwin's troubles I hadn't heard of. Talented player also.

Kirwan hit the wall at the same time Green did. There's a pretty famous story about how a cult in Germany took the whole band out in the woods to some sort of royal estate that they had turned into a very bizarre commune. Green and Kirwan were digging it, but the rest of the band knew that something was bizarre and that they had to GTFO of there. Before they could though, Green and Kirwan were both givin booze that was heavily laced with some form of LSD. From that day forward, they both became schizophrenic and had to be put in a mental institution. After many years, Green got somewhat better and he's doing as well you could expect him too. Kirwan wasn't so lucky though. That's a real shame, as he was only about 20 at the time and already a world class guitarist, song writer and a very good singer. I hope he finds peace of mind one day.

Brian.
There are some mind-blowingly gifted guitarists, acoustic and electric, but technical prowess has never moved me beyond the mental appreciation of said skill.

I think Steve Vai is a musical genius, but I'm not a fan of his music. I envy his talent, but you'll never catch me groving to one of his albums. Same thing for Yngie Malmsteen and Joe Satriani and all those cats.

I've never understood the flack Eddie Van Halen gets. The guy plays pop music, and has never presented himself or his playing as anything very serious. He plays fun music, and he's great at what he does. You can't really expect much more from him.

I love Al Di Meola, but mainly from a technical standpoint - I love how rhythmic his playing is. He's very good at what he does, and I can't fault him for that. I love John McLaughlin for a lot of the same reasons, and he's sort of the origanal over the top shredder.

The only thing that matters is if folks like it - if they do, you're doing something right. BB King is a fairly limited player, but what he does is fantastic and people all over the world (including me) love him. John Lee Hooker's playing was about as basic and primal as it gets, but everybody loves him too. It doesn't matter if you only know two chords - if you can move somebody with it, that's all you need.

Brian.
Greeny's voice was awesome...perfect for his playing...a melded sound that even in this day of advanced instrument augmentation and amplification refinement, remains inimitible and timeless. As always, thanks for the expansive knowledge share Brian...all spot on IMO.
BB King once said that Peter Green was the only guitar player that gave him chills. That pretty much sums it up. Green isn't the fastest or most technical player you will ever find, but he tells the truth. He can play one note and make you know exactly how he feels.

Brian.
My favs in no particular order:
1) Slash
2) Randy Rhodes
3) Kirk Hammett
4) Eric Clapton
5) Brad Paisley
6) Mick Mars

I think Steve Vai is a musical genius, but I'm not a fan of his music. I envy his talent, but you'll never catch me groving to one of his albums. Same thing for Yngie Malmsteen and Joe Satriani and all those cats.

I've never understood the flack Eddie Van Halen gets. The guy plays pop music, and has never presented himself or his playing as anything very serious. He plays fun music, and he's great at what he does. You can't really expect much more from him.
I love Al Di Meola, but mainly from a technical standpoint - I love how rhythmic his playing is. He's very good at what he does, and I can't fault him for that. I love John McLaughlin for a lot of the same reasons, and he's sort of the origanal over the top shredder.

The only thing that matters is if folks like it - if they do, you're doing something right. BB King is a fairly limited player, but what he does is fantastic and people all over the world (including me) love him. John Lee Hooker's playing was about as basic and primal as it gets, but everybody loves him too. It doesn't matter if you only know two chords - if you can move somebody with it, that's all you need.

Brian.

You're right on EVH and his 'pop' music. My main problem with his playing is many of his solos seemed to me to be just a chance to show the latest technique (finger tapping, etc) rather than taking the song somewhere. They just didn't seem to fit the 'flow' of the songs. Of course, it WAS the 80's so he does get some slack being that the whole decade was pretty crappy.

I will reiterate what I said in my OP; I think Eddie was an underrated rhythm player and songwriter. A lot of VH's songs have a killer groove and when you pay attention you realize Eddie had a flair for the rhythm--an often overlooked part of rock 'n roll (ask Malcom Young).
There are some really great names here and noone is a bad choice, as the invitation was for opinion.

I personally like slow lead players as it taxes "feel" and "technique" to the limit.

Have any of you heard Kossof playing "Yime Away". Dead at 25 for the usual reasons, even Clapton sat first row and went backstage to meet him when he played Madison SG. Today, Clapton uses a Lesley speaker system as Kossof did in his on stage speaker mix.

The other thing that is strong with me, is finger technique. Technically, Gary Moore is everthing Clapton is. But, when you watch Moore play White Room with Jack Bruce, The notes and playing are identical right down to the guitar (1960 SG shaped Les Paul with PAF's) into a Marshall Double Stack, but the sound is different solely becuase of the way they each hold a note, and pluck the string, as well as exactly where in relation to the pickups they hit that string.

Guess that the reason why a million bands can use the same gear and sound competely different. I love it.

John

Originally Posted by steve99
Jimmie Page made a few records.

+1 (And I was born on his birthday)
John,

Technique really can make the difference, can't it? Type of pick material, how you hold it and strike the strings, type/gauge of strings, pickups, etc. The permutations are nearly endless. It's also why SRV would still sound like SRV no matter what gear he used (to some extent).

I am a tone-nut and have always held that the amp is 90% of your tone. A really good tube amp is an instrument and will let you change your sound with just the volume knob and pick attack. That's why I'm a huge vintage Fender amp fan, esp. the blackfaces!
Lot's of good ones here. Thought I would mention Adrian Belew. Not too shabby either.
Andy Summers was pretty good too.
almost forgot Neil Young(Southern Man, Down By The River, Cowgirl in The Sand, etc.)

You're right on EVH and his 'pop' music. My main problem with his playing is many of his solos seemed to me to be just a chance to show the latest technique (finger tapping, etc) rather than taking the song somewhere. They just didn't seem to fit the 'flow' of the songs. Of course, it WAS the 80's so he does get some slack being that the whole decade was pretty crappy.

That's a fair point, although finger tapping isn't a latest technique whatsoever. People have been tapping since there have been stringed insturments. Paganini was doing it on a violin in the 1800's, and it's been a staple of classical guitar for almost that long as well. Eddie was just the first really popular guitarist in rock music to exploit it. Billy Gibbons did it here and there (Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers), and IIRC Steve Hackett was doing it around the same time, but Eddie was really the first guy to really bring it to light to the average person. Personally I think it's a cool little technique, and once in a great while I do it myself just for the hell of it. Eddie goes a little overboard with it, but it's all in good fun.

Brian.
Technique really can make the difference, can't it? Type of pick material, how you hold it and strike the strings, type/gauge of strings, pickups, etc. The permutations are nearly endless. It's also why SRV would still sound like SRV no matter what gear he used (to some extent).

I am a tone-nut and have always held that the amp is 90% of your tone. A really good tube amp is an instrument and will let you change your sound with just the volume knob and pick attack. That's why I'm a huge vintage Fender amp fan, esp. the blackfaces!

Everyone plays differently - it's sort of like your voice. Some people may have a similar voice to yours, and some people might be able to impersonate your voice, but nobody sounds like YOU. It's the same with the guitar. I could swap gear with Clapton and have both of us play the same lick, and neither of us are going to sound like each other. Clapton is still going to sound like Clapton, and I'm still going to sound like me (sadly). When you hear your own tone, you are picking up on all the little details, like your amp settings or your pick attack. You can hear all the little minute differences. But other people don't pick up on that stuff. All you can do is try to make it sound pleasing to you, because that will influence you to play better.

Fender amps are about as good as it gets for "that" tone, and for me they're second to none. But then I'm a real sucker for reverb.

Brian.
A few weeks ago, PBS ran a program that featured Albert King in session with SRV. Other than the drummer and bass player in the background, it was just Albert King and Stevie Ray playing together and trading stories in a studio. That was some of the best music I've seen.

According to the show, Albert King was Stevie's favorite guitar player and biggest influence. I believe the show was shot in 1981, and Albert King was somewhat of the master and Stevie was playing the role of his apprentice - but it was sort of one of those moments when the apprentice outshines the master. I knew that SRV played on a David Bowie album from the 1980s when he was still a session guitarist, but I recently learned that on one of Bowie's songs, he plays a solo taken note-for-note from Albert King.

PBS was hawking the DVD as part of their membership drive. I'd recommend looking for it on your local PBS station or maybe requesting your local PBS station to run it if anyone is interested.

I've been a Zep fan since I was about 12, and so I need to put a plug in for Jimmy Page.

Guess that the reason why a million bands can use the same gear and sound competely different. I love it.

I love it too. How many people have played Les Pauls, and none of them sound a like? Clapton, Green, Beck, Page, Kos, Kirwan, McLaughlin, Bloomfield, and Les Paul himself have all played them, and none of the two sound alike. Same thing with a 335 - Clapton, BB King, Freddie King and Larry Carlton all played them, and none of them sound like each other either.

Brian.

Everyone plays differently - it's sort of like your voice. Some people may have a similar voice to yours, and some people might be able to impersonate your voice, but nobody sounds like YOU. It's the same with the guitar. I could swap gear with Clapton and have both of us play the same lick, and neither of us are going to sound like each other. Clapton is still going to sound like Clapton, and I'm still going to sound like me (sadly). When you hear your own tone, you are picking up on all the little details, like your amp settings or your pick attack. You can hear all the little minute differences. But other people don't pick up on that stuff. All you can do is try to make it sound pleasing to you, because that will influence you to play better.
Fender amps are about as good as it gets for "that" tone, and for me they're second to none. But then I'm a real sucker for reverb.

Brian.

Truer words have never been spoken! I remember Stevie even mentioning that some nights his sound could propel him deeper into the music while other nights he wanted smash his amp to bits. It's something non players can't understand. I remember 'discussions' with our sound guys in the church band when they didn't see what the 'big deal' was when I didn't get the sound I liked. The absolute worst was when he wanted to DI my electric right into the board--man, whoever doesn't think the amp is the majority of your tone needs to try to plug their guitar into a 'hi-fi'!

It's a lonley world for tone hounds. Only fellow obsessives understand. Everyone else (even other musicians and singers) just think you're nuts!
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
A few weeks ago, PBS ran a program that featured Albert King in session with SRV. Other than the drummer and bass player in the background, it was just Albert King and Stevie Ray playing together and trading stories in a studio. That was some of the best music I've seen.

According to the show, Albert King was Stevie's favorite guitar player and biggest influence. I believe the show was shot in 1981, and Albert King was somewhat of the master and Stevie was playing the role of his apprentice - but it was sort of one of those moments when the apprentice outshines the master. I knew that SRV played on a David Bowie album from the 1980s when he was still a session guitarist, but I recently learned that on one of Bowie's songs, he plays a solo taken note-for-note from Albert King.

I've had that video for years now - my version is actually somewhat of a bootleg, that was recorded on VHS back when it origanally aired and then transfered to disc. Just great, great stuff. There's a funny story about that show actually. That was the first time Albert and Stevie had seen each other in many years, and in that time Stevie had done that Bowie tune (Let's Dance IIRC) where he played Albert's licks verbatim. Anyway, when they got together for this TV show, Stevie said "you know I borrowed some of your licks for that Bowie tune." Albert just smiled and said, "Oh yeah, I heard that you little chit. I'm gonna get you back for that, you just wait and see."

So they recorded the show, and took a break before doing the last tune. Albert was walking all over the studio asking someone for a nail file. Stevie didn't think anything of it - he just thought Albert had a hang nail or something. So they start on the final song, and when it gets to the solo Albert tells Stevie to go for it. Stevie just tears into it, playing some of the best stuff he ever laid down............while Albert nonchalantly filed his nails in front of him. Stevie said he had to concentrate on not laughing and blowing his solo. LOL

Brian.
Truer words have never been spoken! I remember Stevie even mentioning that some nights his sound could propel him deeper into the music while other nights he wanted smash his amp to bits. It's something non players can't understand. I remember 'discussions' with our sound guys in the church band when they didn't see what the 'big deal' was when I didn't get the sound I liked. The absolute worst was when he wanted to DI my electric right into the board--man, whoever doesn't think the amp is the majority of your tone needs to try to plug their guitar into a 'hi-fi'!

It's a lonley world for tone hounds. Only fellow obsessives understand. Everyone else (even other musicians and singers) just think you're nuts!

Warren Haynes said something very interesting that I'll never forget. He said on a regular basis, he'll go out on stage and play, and then afterwards be totally bummed out because he missed a note or flubbed something really bad. Then a fan will walk up and go "oh man, that's the best I've ever heard you play, and I love how you played that solo differently!" He says this happens almost every show. He said that what a trainwreck is for him might be someone in the audiences highlight of the night. He said that John McLaughlin probably goes through the same thing where he walks off stage and goes "man, that sucked", yet absolutley no one else picked up on it. The player is (and should be) his own worst critic, as it makes you strive to get better.

Brian.
Wow! This guy has some lightning in his fingers and really knows his way around the fret board!
OK, gotta give props in the acoustic realm to Tommy Emmanuel. My buddy is obsessesd with him and keeps trying to get me to go see one of his concerts. He said he is a great entertainer as well as mind-blowing guitarist. One of these days I'll go see him (maybe if he comes to Boise) but I really prefer a band with a bass player and drummer to kick things in the butt.

Tommy is an Aussie. He used to play with his brother Phil as a duet with both of them playing on the one neck as a highlight.

In Oz, he is considered country.

John
I'll add the following: the Schenker Bros. (and Matthias Jabs), Alex Lifeson (althogh I can't stand Rush), and Paul Gilbert (pure speed demon).
Originally Posted by pinotguy
I'll add the following: the Schenker Bros. (and Matthias Jabs), Alex Lifeson (althogh I can't stand Rush), and Paul Gilbert (pure speed demon).

Yeah, Michael Schenker made my list too and Jabs is amazing as well. He usually gets overlooked in favor of Schenker and Uli Jon Roth when the Scorpions are discussed but I saw him in action from the front row, along with Dio (rest in peace Ronnie) and Deep Purple, and he was truly phenomenal. He made some of the most bizarre sounds I've ever heard from a guitar. Sounded like a race car engine. Simply amazing.
Originally Posted by RLA

Oh yeah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRvwbLaKSGg

Steve Lukather
Ritckie Blackmore
Jeff Beck
Joe Satriani
Robin Trower
Originally Posted by dingo
Originally Posted by RLA

Oh yeah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRvwbLaKSGg

Steve Lukather
Ritckie Blackmore
Jeff Beck
Joe Satriani
Robin Trower

Yes, lets not forget the ladies, Sharon Isbin and Emily Remler are allocated lots of space on my i-pod.

Eric Clapton.
Suprised that anyone else here even knows who Emily Remler is - I had never heard of her until about 2 or 3 months ago. I've got a theory book that I got second hand, and someone had written some notes in it that said "this gives an Emily R type feel". I've had that book for years and never knew what they were refering to, and then I ran across a video of Emily and it all clicked. Very talented player.

Brian.
Best = Eric Clapton - 40+years - 'nuff said.
Since we're talking about the ladies, Has anyone mentioned Bonny Raitt, or Joanne Shaw Taylor??

No Buck Owens?
Again No Owens
I guess none of us have "Walked the Streets of Bakersfield"

Many are "strummers" (like Buck) but few have total command of the instrument. Try Danny Gatton.
Suprised that anyone else here even knows who Emily Remler is - I had never heard of her until about 2 or 3 months ago. I've got a theory book that I got second hand, and someone had written some notes in it that said "this gives an Emily R type feel". I've had that book for years and never knew what they were refering to, and then I ran across a video of Emily and it all clicked. Very talented player.

Brian.

You must be just a pup. Emily Remler was popular during the mid to late eighties. Left us way to soon.
In no order
Angus
SRV
George Lynch
Randy Rhodes
Otis Taylor
BB
Knofler
Malcom Young
I remember when Buck would try and keep up with Roy Clark on pick-in and grinn-in.I used to laugh my ass of at that one sided mess.
One of my favorites, seen him live back in the early 80's and he was crazy good.

Another guy that doesn't seem to get the attention he deserves, Jeff Waters from Ottawa Canada.

Seems like there can be a big distance between "favorite" (everyone has one or a few) and "the best" - normally a very different set of criteria.

I enjoy listening to many of the guitarists listed in these posts, especially Clapton. Knopfler, Emmanuel, Vaughn, etc.

But, there are few if any true jazz guitarists mentioned in the posts and I don't remember seeing a classical player named. Seems like the listening scope may be limited.

Setting aside the best of the jazz and classical players, and aiming mainly for excellent technique and mastery of styles, my "bests" would be Les Paul, Glen Campbell, Roy Clark, and Danny Gatton. Gatton could play excellent stuff in rock, country, bluegrass, folk and jazz. Phenomenal technique, style and inventive flexibility. Aside from classical and jazz, that's why he is my idea of best.
Roy Buchanan
I'd like to add one more - Steve "The Colonel" Cropper.
Originally Posted by RobOz
Roy Buchanan

Roy must have smiled a lot.

Springsteen sure is underrated for his lead playing.

Anyone remember Albert Lee?
Clark is a goon one. Glen Campbell could play too.
Originally Posted by NYStillHunter
Anyone remember Albert Lee?

Oh yeah!

Jimi Hendrix's favorite player was Billy Gibbons. How you gonna top that?
Gotta go with da Nuge.

Having played the guitar then seen Nuge play live from 2 feet away (got to hang with him for an hour or so, once, too!!) the man's left hand is INCREDIBLE !!!!!!!!!

Also likes:

SRV
Eric Johnson
Eddie Van Halen
Slash
Buddy Guy
Roger McGuinn
Kelly Valleau (as my "one to look up" entry)
SRV

Steve Howe

David Gilmore

To name a few!!!
Uli Jon Roth

No contest.

I'm a little late to this and I won't say who is best, but these are my favorites:

Guitar:

Jimmy Page
SRV
Pete Townsend
Warren Haynes

Bass:

Chris Squire
John Paul Jones
John Entwistle
Paul McCartney

I think it is the other way around
Meaning Hendrix was Gibbons Favourite player
Originally Posted by bucktales
Uli Jon Roth

Had never really heard of Uli before. He definitely has some chops, but more importantly some musical taste.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Actually, he was asked who the best young unknown guitarist was that he knew about, and he said Billy Gibbons (who was in the 13th Floor Elevators at the time). He never said Gibbons was his favorite.

Brian.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Actually, he was asked who the best young unknown guitarist was that he knew about, and he said Billy Gibbons (who was in the 13th Floor Elevators at the time). He never said Gibbons was his favorite.

Brian.

Well actually smile , you are correct in that he never said "favorite". The quote was ....

"Billy Gibbons is America's best guitar player." Jimi Hendrix
Danny Gatton has some "Tele" skills!!
I stand Corrected. Billy Gibbons of The Moving Sidewalks
Ummm Clapton?

Brian.
Geez,

How could I neglect one of the greatest bluesmen, ever? Superlative blues voice and the man knew how to grind an axe. I tried to find his "Give Me Back My Wig" off of the tribute to Hound Dog Taylor, but no go (he really rips it up).

Sorry for taking so long to mention you, Luther! (RIP)

Here's Koko Taylor's axeman, Criss Johnson.

been diggn' Warren Haynes lately
© 24hourcampfire