Home
Posted By: Steve_NO Best brand of clothes washer? - 08/11/11
my wife insisted on getting Meile washer and drier when we moved eleven years ago.....expensive German high tech, worked no better than any other one, and super expensive to service.

Washer finally croaked and I need to replace it....been looking at the internet, and all the reviews seem to be negative on all brands. Anybody have any insight into who makes a quality front end loading washer these days?
Samsung is pretty good I think. That is what my wife wants. I've been trying to put it off as long as I can. I'm cheap. I don't want to pay three thousand dollars for a washer and dryer.
My wife and I bought a Samsung front loading washer and dryer about a year ago. Both are working fine, and I have no complaints.
We've had good luck with Maytag top-loaders which, IIRC, are a subsidiary of Kenmore now.

Whichever one you buy, I'd advise against getting a front-loader even though they're very popular right now. They have a lot of seal/leakage issues and tend to have water pool at the bottom of the door which is a PITA.
FisherPaykel is the best I have owned.

http://www.fisherpaykel.com/product/laundry/clotheswashers/
Having gone through the same thing, when our ill performing energy efficient washer finally croaks (probably due to my wife shooting it) I am certain that she will begin looking for a 1970s vintage GE. At least with that one we know that we won't have to wash everything twice.
Maytag, top-loader, high-efficiency.
Another vote for the Samsung front loaders. They've been good so far(2 years).
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

I'll second that. We bought the Maytag Bravos, Mod# MVW8750WQ1, about a year ago and have been very pleased.

Big enough to wash horse blankets if we need, yet will also do small loads. We bought the matching Maytag front-load gas dryer at the some time. Very pleased with it as well.

Ed
Samsung Silvercare front-loader is one you might want to look at,Steve.
Whirlpool makes Whirlpool, Kitchenaid, Maytag, Jenn-Aire, Amana, and several others. Any of them gets you many of the same ingredients.

Kenmoore makes nothing. They put out a list of specs and put their name on the lowest bidder. That doesn't mean it's not good, though, just that they don't make it themselves. Plus, Sears has a good warranty.
I got a used Kenmore from the Salvation Army Store for $50 , that was about 6 years ago. I recently replaced the agitator dogs ($5).
It works good & the clothes get CLEAN , what else can you ask for ?

Mike
LG with the direct drive motor. We bought ours back in March and have been well pleased. They are now making the Sears kenmore washers and dryers.
Originally Posted by 6mm250
I got a used Kenmore from the Salvation Army Store for $50 , that was about 6 years ago. I recently replaced the agitator dogs ($5).
It works good & the clothes get CLEAN , what else can you ask for ?

Mike

The new ones use alot less water. Clothes seem clean enough to me. I figured out it would pay for itself in 5 years.
Sounds like our experience with our Swedish Asco washer, cost $2k over 10 years ago, and when we needed service, the local place had gone out of business. We replaced it with a Kenmore front loader, and have been very pleased with it. With a family of 5, we do alot of laundry, and the Asco had too small of a volume and a very long cycle.

It seems like the weekness of the frontloaders is the drain pumps getting clogged. I did have to replace the controller on the dryer a few months back, but ordering one online was the same price as a service call.
Another plus on the front load LG is the stacking kit. It freed up a whole lot of space in the utility room.
[Linked Image]
Top loader.
[Linked Image]

I've got almost 7 years on a Whirlpool Duet, digesting the throughput of a family of 7: very happy with it.

The Maytag dryer hasn't died yet - going on 18 years now. I'm not sure if they build 'em like they used to, though.

My daughter did an exhaustive search, & decided on a LG steam cycle somethinerother. She's thrilled.

My advice would be to call 2 or 3 local repair places, & ask what models they work on THE LEAST. Then roll your dice from that point.

FC
Originally Posted by Longbob
Top loader.
[Linked Image]

I'd like to load her top.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Another vote for the Samsung front loaders. They've been good so far(2 years).

2+ years for us also, so far so good. You just have to restrain the kids from overloading it, it won't spin properly if you do.

Steve:

You got 11 years out of a modern washing machine.

That's good in today's world.

Get another Meile. wink
We have had 3 Washer Dryer combo's in almost 50 years of marriage, all have been Whirlpool. And if we out live the current set they will be replaced with.... you got it, Whirlpool.

And yep, top loader washer, LOTS less problems than the front stuffers.
At our "fancy" place we have fancy, frontloading, expensive.
At our "simple" place, old-fashioned, toploading, reasonable.
The fancy place would be better with the simple machines.
Wife's opinion- she can get any kind she wants, and the good old
toploaders work better longer, for much less.
Posted By: jpb Re: Best brand of clothes washer? - 08/11/11
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
My daughter did an exhaustive search, & decided on a LG steam cycle somethinerother. She's thrilled. FC

My sister has one of those LG washers with an (optional) steam cycle.

She really likes hers as well. The one she has (maybe there is only one model?) has a huge capacity, so if you want to wash sleeping bags, down jackets, or comforters, this would be one to consider.

During a visit to her, my clothes were all wrinkled from an over packed suitcase. A few minutes in the steam and they looked like new.

She has never had any problems with it, I think she has had it for at least 8 years (with heavy use: 3 in the family playing every field sport you can imagine).

John
Posted By: n007 Re: Best brand of clothes washer? - 08/11/11
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

This is what I just bought a year ago really like it, front loaders have more problems.
Originally Posted by amax155
LG with the direct drive motor. We bought ours back in March and have been well pleased. They are now making the Sears kenmore washers and dryers.

We bought the Sears Kenmore version a few months ago. Great stuff so far.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

It seems like the weekness of the frontloaders is the drain pumps getting clogged. I did have to replace the controller on the dryer a few months back, but ordering one online was the same price as a service call.

that was the problem we had for the last two years....you'd have to re run the last drain cycle. but yesterday it just died....black screen, nada. with everybody home in the summer we do a ton of wash, so this is, like, a right now kind of problem which somehow has become mine.
As a thoughtful gesture,you might consider asking your bevy of maids in charge of laundry which machine gets their thumbs up.
I'll never get another front loader. Too many service problems, doesn't clean as well as a top loader.
The wife and I bought new a Kenmore washer & dryer when we got married 27 years ago. We raised our kids with cloth diapers and even though I put a drum carrier bearing in the dryer a few years back it was still running when we replaced it last month. The washer gave up the ghost 3 years ago and both have been replaced with new kenmore's. Now I certainly expect that this new stuff won't last near as long but the first set sure went a long time. I don't think anything made today lasts as long as the old stuff. Like a water heater. First one was in the house when we bought it and it went a total of 34 years before being replaced. The replacement is starting to act up and it's only 8 years old.
Only reason we are on our third set is a hurricane took the set before this one!
Originally Posted by isaac
As a thoughtful gesture,you might consider asking your bevy of maids in charge of laundry which machine gets their thumbs up.

you laugh, but the device must be operable by an ebonics speaker, who don't know nothin' 'bout readin' no manuals. if it has too many options, screens and flashing lights, she ain't gonna be able to work it. and then I'll be doing even more loads than I do now.

We have had a Samsung front loader for about 2 1/2 years and it is has been problem free and does a good job.

Originally Posted by Steve_NO
that was the problem we had for the last two years....you'd have to re run the last drain cycle. but yesterday it just died....black screen, nada.

Okay, now we get the rest of the story.

You've bubba-ed it for two years and when it finally dies, you don't have a spare! wink

I bought Maytag Atlantis Top loaders back in 2002 and they still look and work like new. The only work I had to do was replace one of the bearings on the dryer drum about two years ago. The part cost like five bucks and I installed it myself.
Posted By: BLG Re: Best brand of clothes washer? - 08/11/11
Steve, do you need front load or do you want front load? Reason is, most people I know that bought front load don't like them and would not buy again. Aside from the pump issue, the seal around the window continually hold moisture and in turn mildews. I'd go top load Maytag. I've had Maytag for 13 years and only changed the timer. I replaced it with another Maytag.

Clyde
Just replaced our 16yr Maytag duo after the dryer started making a whirling sound due to a worn motor bearing (replaced some other components a couple yrs ago). Based on reviews we went with a direct drive Samsung washer/dryer pair. I wanted to go with a top loader but the wife read the newer ones are hard on clothes?

The newer front loaders do sit low and I did not feel like forking over $400 for the 2 pedestals so I built one for about $75. Picked up the Samsung pair for $1200 on sale after coupon discounts/rebates from Lowes.

Washer/Dryer Pedestal in progress:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Had to raise the dryer vent for the new one, cut some sheetrock and took off the duct, WTH do we have here?
[Linked Image]
Frigging !%!$&^*!! contractor who built the house! mad
[Linked Image]
Hired a local HVAC guy to build me a recessed vent box, he built it wrong but I was still able to modify it & make it work:
[Linked Image]
Fitted it in the wall and added the transitioner/ ductwork:
[Linked Image]
Almost there:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/MtnHtr/IMG_0370.jpg[/img]
Completed. Units work great so far, wife is happy!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/MtnHtr/IMG_0379.jpg[/img]

Will add the pedestal is very solid, minimum vibration. Wife leaves the front door of the washer open when not in use to mitigate any mildew issues. The door seal collects a little moisture but not much.

Fingers crossed but I don't think any of these new units will go more than 10yrs.

MtnHtr

you laugh, but the device must be operable by an ebonics speaker, who don't know nothin' 'bout readin' no manuals. if it has too many options, screens and flashing lights, she ain't gonna be able to work it. and then I'll be doing even more loads than I do now.

The LG weighs the load and sets itself for wash time and amount of water. Just push 2 buttons. Power and then start. Same with the dryer. If it is something special it has a setting for it.
Originally Posted by Bull_Elk
Now I certainly expect that this new stuff won't last near as long but the first set sure went a long time. I don't think anything made today lasts as long as the old stuff.

It's not just your nostalgic memory. Appliances are crap today. I recently asked the manager of a locally owned appliance/electronics store his opinion on the reliablity of different brands of refridgerators and this was his response. "Get the one with the features you like and buy the extended warranty. They are all made like crap today. The manufacturers are now run by accountants and marketing departments and not engineers."
Originally Posted by country_20boy
It's not just your nostalgic memory. Appliances are crap today. I recently asked the manager of a locally owned appliance/electronics store his opinion on the reliablity of different brands of refridgerators and this was his response. "Get the one with the features you like and buy the extended warranty. They are all made like crap today. The manufacturers are now run by accountants and marketing departments and not engineers."

Ouch! Not that it's a great revelation, but you've got me wondering about my LG refrigerator now. Well, it's been going good since 2007 so far, but that's not exactly a long test for what's supposed to be a durable product.

As for washers and dryers, I miss no opportunity on these threads to brag about my kenmore washer/dryer I bought in 1999. Paid $100 for the dryer (6 months old at the time) and $125 for the washer (about a year old at the time) and they are still chugging like yeomen. Still look new and some of the best money I've ever spent. Of course, I know that buying used kenmores is not a useful recommendation for Steve_NO since his wife insists on designer front loading machines grin. Brag over laugh.
Originally Posted by BLG
Steve, do you need front load or do you want front load? Reason is, most people I know that bought front load don't like them and would not buy again. Aside from the pump issue, the seal around the window continually hold moisture and in turn mildews. I'd go top load Maytag. I've had Maytag for 13 years and only changed the timer. I replaced it with another Maytag.

Clyde

I know it's pretty complicated, but just leave the door open on the front loaders, like they tell you to do.
Best brand of clothes washer?

Bosch

MM
Had a repairman here a while back to work on the Kitchenaide dish washer. This is an independent guy, doesn't work for any sales co. His thoughts were LG for dishwashers and Bosh or LG for laundry pairs. Said Kitchenaide and especially Maytag had been cheapened recently to the place he was warning people away from them.
Posted By: WPAH Re: Best brand of clothes washer? - 08/12/11
I bought new (old style) Maytag washer and dryer about 4 or 5 years ago. They are both junk and have had to be worked on already. Get something else.
eek GE energy efficient wash machine and dryer we bought a few months back suck bigtime. Fail to get clothes clean and are noisy. Would pay boot and trade for five year old Sears with agitator. GW
Prayers sent. Oh how I loathe buying appliances. You're pretty much relegated to buying from a big-box store, and if/when you need srevice, well, tough.

[Linked Image]
Kenmore, just don't get a plastic tub.

We've had Whirlpool Duets, front loaders, ( washer and dryer) going on eight years now. They are used a lot and haven't hiccuped yet.

Even I can run 'em.
Whirlpool with the mechanical controls. Never get a touch screen nuth'n when it comes to washers... It may not be fancy enough for your wife Steve,but it will work for a long time and it's easy to repair...
Posted By: eh76 Re: Best brand of clothes washer? - 08/12/11
my wife insisted on getting Meile washer and drier when we moved eleven years ago.....expensive German high tech, worked no better than any other one, and super expensive to service.

Washer finally croaked and I need to replace it....been looking at the internet, and all the reviews seem to be negative on all brands. Anybody have any insight into who makes a quality front end loading washer these days?

Looks like you have lots of advice. Last December, 2 days before the buffler hunt crew arrived, our GE set croaked. I did some research and found that Sears front loaders were rated very well. I believe they are made by LG. Been happy with them so far. BTW I had EvilTwin as slave labor to help me get them in the house grin
Nice job! Did you consider putting any sort of vibration dampener on the legs? Inner tube, ensolite, etc?
we use a kenmore. very nice. dont forget to use that once a month cleaner.

WildotherwisetheystinkAlaska ��2002-2011
I jumped to the last page, has anyone said female yet
Why do brides wear white on their wedding day?

So the new dishwasher will match the fridge.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Nice job! Did you consider putting any sort of vibration dampener on the legs? Inner tube, ensolite, etc?

Yes, I did. I bought some rubber shower pan liner material and cut/glued it to the bottom of each leg, seems to have helped. I used wood screws thruout instead of nails.

MtnHtr
I don't know but I could ask the wife when she gets home!
we have a Staber. http://www.staber.com/

It's been pretty good so far, we've got about six years in it now and the price really hasn't changed much since we got ours. I liked it because it was built in the US and made to be end-user repairable. They say they are more water and energy efficient than most. I'll have to take their word because I have no way of comparing, but it washes well.

I paid them and the truck pulled up to the driveway, the driver helped me slide it into the back of my pickup and I backed up to my side door and slid it inside.
thanks, everybody. the technician officially blew taps over the Miele....unless I want to buy a new lower motherboard for 800 bucks....and then he may find out the upper one is bad, but can't tell now. so I'll go look at LG,Samsung and Whirlpools tomorrow...see which one has the most...uh....simple to deal with controls.
I didn't read all of the posts, but check Consumer's Report. I have been using them for over 25 years and they have never let me down. I never buy a large item without checking with them.
Couldn't tell you what the best front loader washer is today because our Maytag Neptune has been working flawlessly for well over ten years now.
Pat85,
We are on or 3rd Neptune in 11yrs. No kids or grandkids living with us. We are alone. We bought the last one 13 months ago and had the repairman out yesterday.
Butch
Man,
I had not a clue my wife peeked at the forum. She corrected me. After the 2 Maytag front loaders the last one is a Whirlpool Duet.
Probably as junky as the rest.
Butch
Well after 50yrs, I guess she does have an opinion. She just emailed me.

Quote- Well considering that's a man's opinion that doesn't really count..
How many loads of clothes do you figure you have washed since we've
been married

Pretty good statement.
I work for a plastic company that suplies parts to the Whirlpool group and get the employee dicount. Our washer is leaking bad and is 8 years old. My wife says its time to upgrade...so be-it.

She wants a front loader but I couldnt care less. I just want a energy saving dryer that doesnt take forty forevers to dry clothes. BTW, electric is what I have.
+1 on Maytag, top-load, high efficiency.

I asked my maids before we moved into the Rez Palace and they said get the Estate Series from Whirlpool(?). $800 for the pair, turn a dial and [bleep] a computer screen to wash clothes.

Now tires or guns, that is the chit to obsess over....grin
I'm ghetto. I've had the same Roper washer for 25 years now. Of course I don't have kids and all etc..but it's stood up to 25 years of bachelor abuse and shop clothes washing.

It's also stood up to being moved a few times by myself and I'm pretty big on the "just drop it from the tailgate" maneuver.
Damn right, I'm married(no pups) but still wash all my own chit. Basic machine with a bigass tub is the way to go.

I'm gonna rig up a damn clothes line in the backyard too. Wife needs to learn how to run one them.....grin
© 24hourcampfire