Home
Since the EPA decided that unregulated gasoline fumes are causing global warming, hair loss and all kinds of other ailments, and mandated "spill-proof" "vent-proof" gas can nozzles, I have managed to spill and leak far more gas than I ever did with the old style nozzle. Anyone have any recommendations for decent gas cans? Or are they even available anymore?
Garage sales. I buy every [bleep] one I can find.

The new nozzles should be bronzed and placed as an eternal monument to the utter [bleep] stupidity of the EPA.

Travis
A bit pricey, but maybe the last can you'll need to buy....

Eagle Mfg.
Originally Posted by deflave

The new nozzles should be bronzed and placed as an eternal monument to the utter [bleep] stupidity of the EPA.

Travis

If they just used a little Vasilene instead of broze I can think of another place the EPA could put them.
What a waste of vaseline.
[bleep] the new style gas cans.

Look at the race style gas cans. Find 'em at most any dirtbike shop. replaceable nozzle thats about maybe 2' long. lil more spendy but they are worth it.
Cheaper than dirt
4 steel jerry cans for $20

with a nozzle
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
Cheaper than dirt

with a nozzle

I believe that's $99 instead of $20. Received the same e mail. Good deal for the metal.

Metal is the way to go.
Cheaper than dirt

with a nozzle
Huh? Their price is $100, and they're on back order.

GAS CANS

They do have single cans in stock...for $50, plus another 20 for the nozzle.
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Cheaper than dirt

with a nozzle

I believe that's $99 instead of $20. Received the same e mail. Good deal for the metal.

Metal is the way to go.

Still half asleep, yes, 99.97

http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/ZBQ1425-1.html

Travis

+1000
Recently at a house up the street for sale, the owners had put out a bunch of trash that I guess they figured wasn't worth moving.

We were driving by when I noticed the 3 "pre-ban" gas cans there, and one "post-ban" can, out for trash.

Wife was embarrassed, but I pulled over and picked them up. Figured I'd regret it if I didn't!

I have spare nozzles and caps at home that I ordered back right before the changeover. I used to have a few NOS pre-ban cans, but I sold them to a campfire member when I got divorced and moved.

Travis

Nailed that one.
the only ones i have found that are even close to worth a crap are the ones with the little slide switch that turns the gas flow on/off. it allows you to tilt the can and get the nozzle in the hole and then hit the button. on my older ones i just use a big oil funnel and take the whole cap off the can. friggen EPA for ya.
I thought gas cans changed because of California environmental regs, not the epa? Maybe I'm wrong. Either way I haven't used the new cans, but I'm clinging on to the four old style cans for now.

The cans linked about may be worth a shot, but they don't seem good for taking on atv trips since they're so awkward in size.

Wook
and when I'm stuck using a new one?
I poke a vent hole in the highest spot while pouring and then plug it with a "carbon fiber tapered plug"
AKA: a wooden golf tee
Originally Posted by Wook
I thought gas cans changed because of California environmental regs, not the epa? Maybe I'm wrong. Either way I haven't used the new cans, but I'm clinging on to the four old style cans for now.

The cans linked about may be worth a shot, but they don't seem good for taking on atv trips since they're so awkward in size.

Wook

It started as CA but was then adopted nationwide. As of 1/2009, no "pre-ban" cans can be sold in the US.
I have a bunch of the new ones that are said to be self-venting. They are horrible. I drilled a hole at the high point and screwed in a large stainless steel screw. They are much better but are still not as good as the old ones.

I like and still use some of the old 5 gal. plastic ones (Drott IIRC) that have a srew-on vent at one end of the top and a removable nozzle at the other that can be stored inside the tank. They also are short enough so that they don't easily turn over.
If you have to use the new cans, venting before the pour helps.
If you want to get fancy with a vent hole, drill a hole and epoxy a 1/4" nut over it. Then use a thumb screw to fill the hole.
I haven't bought any new fuel cans other than the ones that I get from VP. They are the "racing" containers and they work great.

Why aren't they subject to the EPA regs?
I drilled a hole and installed a liquid inlet style valve stem (like what you would use on a grader wheel) then all i do is unscrew the large bore stem and vent away.
I figured it out. They are for off road use only and not legal for regular gasoline. Like I will adhere to that!
Where do you get them? Might be worth a purchase...
I generally get them at the track, but you can Google "VP fuel cans" and see several places to get them. They run about $30 each and you can pick from several colors.
Cool, thanks!

Travis

what he said

I salivate when i see old gas cans for sale
Originally Posted by burner
Where do you get them? Might be worth a purchase...

I get mine from a great local company:

JEGS
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/wedco/
http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-31710-compliant-metal-Jerry/dp/B0007M42QE
There are still a lot of cans available. Just have to buy on line.
http://www.moellermarine.com/aftermarket/fuel_storage_tanks/jerry_cans/
Daypacker,

All the links you have listed are for cans that are CARB compliant. Those are the ones that are the difficult ones to use.
About six years ago, I asked the local mower shop what is the best gas can they have. After some discussion, they admitted that the best can wasn't on the sale floor, but in their shop - where OSHA mandated a non-venting can. They showed me one, and I had them order me two at $30 a piece. This can has a twist-lock and plunge mechanism on the nozzle that absolutely doesn't spill a drop - ever. Still working fine to this day, and BTW, unlike the plastic cans that have been generally available for years they are built to last. Ask your local lawnmower repair shop what they use. Assuming they adhere to OSHA regs, they might be able to solve your gas can problem - if you are willing to pay the price.
It has gotten so bad that when my 1 gal can filler neck broke when it was assaulted by the chainsaw the other day,I found some plastic epoxy and fixed the neck like new.This can is about 28 years old.
I have found some gray water 5 gallon jugs that do not have the new junky nozzles on them I just make sure they are marked NOT WATER.Anyone that drinks from them now deserves what happens.
u all are going to hate me!!! i have 25-30 of the early 2000'ver of the rubbermaid 5 gal....and a few 2.5 gal gas cans AND/with extra "black caps" that i ordered from rubbermaid (50 pak ) pre band!!! smile smile smile smile!!!..i keep them out of the sun and 90% of them are still RED..... use a "new " can every now and then so i can see how the peasents live wink
Here is a good addition to the ranch.

Description: Put one of these on the north forty...
Attached picture heil_trailer.jpg
If you have one of the old style gas cans, keep a close eye on
it. Some SOB stole my old metal gas can out of the back of my
pickup. mad Yes.... I should be more careful.
Garage sales, trash cleanup days, clueless friends--I show no shame in finding another "old" gas can. I've got a horde or two in the shed.

Even my wife has seen the light once she had to fill the lawnmower with a new 'non-leaking' spout.
© 24hourcampfire