Home
Posted By: shaman Prayer Request - 10/21/11
Sorry I haven't been around all that much. Three weeks ago Dad went into the VA for a routine exam and had a sudden bout of dizziness. They found his heart was beating extremely slow. The next day they inserted a pacemaker, and talked about how good he'd feel after he got home. Sadly this wasn't the case. He deteriorated steadily and we finally transferred him to the Lindner Heart Failure Center at Christ Hospital here in Cincinnati. He is not doing well at all.

Dad is a month shy of 85. He has been spoiling to be the last WWII vet alive, and certainly was one of the luckiest. He was drafted towards the end of the war and missed going to Okinawa with a bad case of strep throat that forced him to repeat basic training. They were going to use him in the invasion of the mainland, but they dropped the Bomb as he was shipping over and he was diverted to Korea instead. If you remember M.A.S.H., there was a character you never actually saw named Sparky. Radar was always on the phone with him back at Division HQ in Seoul. That was my Dad. They didn't have M.A.S.H. units back then, but he supplied the field hospitals in Korea from a big warehouse. He decided not to re-enlist, and he made it home long before the invasion from the North.

Right now, Dad's luck is not good. Any prayers you can send our way would be appreciated.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
Prayers on the way.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11

Done.

Posted By: Redneck Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
He's got 'em from me..

Nice story, sir...
Posted By: RickyD Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
Prayers offered.
Posted By: CEJ1895 Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
Prayers sent..
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
Prayers for a positive outcome on the way.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
Coming from me too.
Posted By: tzone Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
You got them from MN.
Posted By: hemiallen Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
Prayers for your dad

Please thank him for his service

Allen
Posted By: T LEE Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
Prayers offered my friend.
Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
Certainly will Shaman my friend, certainly will.
Posted By: savage62 Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
Hope all is well with him
Posted By: joken2 Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
Prayer said for your father, Shaman.
Posted By: safariman Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
Just prayed, will do so again. Thank you for letting us know and giving us the privilege of praying for your dad AND for you.

Blessings,

MARK
Posted By: GeorgeS3 Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
Sent!

George
Posted By: Bogtrotter Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
You got it!
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
Prayers lifted up here!

Please thank your Dad for his service for us.

Ed
Posted By: Partsman Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
You got them.
My dad is 88 and is in the hospital as he just had a knee replaced, so I can understand the worry.
Hope together we all can help your Dad.
Posted By: mikeymjr23 Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
Prayers are on the way...
Posted By: Scott F Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
Done
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
Prayers and best wishes.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
Prayers and wishes for his recovery.

I send my thanks for his service.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
Thoughts and prayers from Iowa.
Posted By: bcolorado Re: Prayer Request - 10/21/11
Prayers offered.
Posted By: shaman Re: Prayer Request - 10/22/11
Well, I gotta say you guys must have a clear line back upstairs. Yesterday about dinner time he started responding again. He even croaked out a recognizable "BYE!" as we were leaving for the night.

He's by no means out of the woods, but at least we know his brain salad didn't get totally scrambled and he is still in the building. This morning, Mom called me to say that his kidneys are starting to respond as well.

Thanks all for the good words upstairs. Keep it up. We're a long way from getting him home.

Posted By: Scott F Re: Prayer Request - 10/22/11
smile
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Prayer Request - 10/22/11
Great news. I pray he continues to improve each day.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Prayer Request - 10/22/11
Shaman,

That IS good news! We will certainly keep praying here!

Ed

Posted By: 1234567 Re: Prayer Request - 10/22/11
Prayers Sent.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Prayer Request - 10/22/11
More Prayers offered.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Prayer Request - 10/22/11
From me too. Wishing your dad the best.

Paul
Posted By: oulufinn Re: Prayer Request - 10/22/11
Prayers sent for this hero.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Prayer Request - 10/22/11

Nice to hear he is improving, hope he is home soon.

God Bless

Prayers sent.
Posted By: Elf Re: Prayer Request - 10/22/11
On the way....
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Prayer Request - 10/22/11
Shaman, said a prayer for your dad.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Prayer Request - 10/22/11
Prayers for your Dad.
Also have missed you at the Campfire.
Keep faith friend ~ and God bless.
Posted By: shaman Re: Prayer Request - 10/24/11
This is going to be one of those bum messages you often see at the bottom of one of these prayer request threads. Last night, we got the call; Dad had just given up and stopped breathing.

None of us were there. Nobody knew this was coming. I had taken Mom back to my house for dinner, and then she had entertained the kids for a while back at her place, feeding them sundaes.

In a lot of ways, I am kind of happy it came this way. Dad had not shown any sign of consciousness in over a day. Mom was spared a lot. Probably if Dad had been calling the shots, he would have rather had us all together watching football and yucking it up anyway.

So there you have it. I really truly miss his stories. Most were laced with names of local Cincinnati glitterati, but a surprising number included folks you might know.

".. .so Jack Lescoli, Bill Nimmo and I met up with Jackie Gleason and go back to his place to play pool . . . I wake up on the boat to Hamburg. I don't know how I got there.. ."

Growing up, I was always amazed at the number of local TV people he knew. Bob Braun had been his best friend when Bob was still a lifeguard at Sunlight Pool. He'd managed to date most of the cast of Midwestern Hayride. What had happened was that he was building apartments back about the same time the local TV stations were first coming on the air. Word got around that my Dad had good clean places at a reasonable rate and soon a good number of the local talent were tenants. Rod Serling was there. I remember meeting Gene Shepherd and Kenny Price when I was a kid.

For all my life, I've been walking into bars and restaurants and having folks recognize my name and tell me how much they love my Dad and my Mom. He was a guy who just knew how to have fun and how to make fun for the people around him. He just made you happy.

But as the old Chinaman says:

' There was a fire. It burned brightly once, and now it is gone. It may burn elsewhere in this world, I know not where, but these sticks have burned out and grown cold. '"

From Eulogy for Eulogy for Big Stick 2/7/2007

Posted By: rost495 Re: Prayer Request - 10/24/11
So sorry to hear this, but prayers for the family!

He is in a better place now, and that should give solace.

Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Prayer Request - 10/24/11
You have my deepest condolences.

Prayers continue for you and your family.

Ed
Posted By: Violator22 Re: Prayer Request - 10/24/11
Shaman, ya got prayers from out here in Colorado. Les
Posted By: sargent Re: Prayer Request - 10/24/11
Sorry for your loss. Your family is in my prayers.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Prayer Request - 10/24/11
Thoughts and prayers from Iowa. Remember the good times and support one another.
Posted By: 1096here Re: Prayer Request - 10/24/11
May the good Lord watch over you all. He lived a great life and left a wonderful family to carry on.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Prayer Request - 10/24/11
Prayers sent for your Mother, yourself, family, and friends, who have lost such an Good Man, they are far and few between, God Bless Him.

Lynn
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Prayer Request - 10/24/11
So sorry to hear this. God's peace to you and the family.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Prayer Request - 10/24/11
Sorry for your loss Sir, prayers of comfort offered from casa Lee.
© 24hourcampfire