Home
Posted By: Steelhead Why Not - 10/26/11
Retirement letter is in. Everything says wait till 30, but it's akin to a 20 hour drive, that last hour is the bitch.

October 2012
Posted By: ADK4Rick Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Good luck Scott,thank you for your service.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
seeing some real lucky kids in the future.
Posted By: Partsman Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Good for you, best to get out as early as one can afford to.
Nobody ever said, "Gee I wish I had kept working"
Posted By: FVA Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Best to you in your retirement Scott! I'm sure you'll make it so(grin)
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Scott;
All the best to you in your retirement.

If you ever hit the road with all that time on your hands and get up this way, the meal is on me.

Dwayne
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congratulations on your retirement. Thank you for your service.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congrats, Scott! I'm jealous! I hit my 20-year mark last month and am eligible to go, but plan on doing at least another 10-years and will re-evaluate things then. I like my job and if the next 10 go by anywhere near as fast as the fist 20, I'll be there in no time.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congrats buddy!
Posted By: ADK4Rick Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
but who is going to keep the pirates away now!?
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congratulations Scott!!!

And THANKS...

Hope you have a healthy and happy retirement.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Old bastid.

Enjoy it, you have earned it buddy. Find you something to do that u love so you don't get bored. You're still mighty young.

A whole new life awaits, with money in your pocket to boot.

That's hard to beat.

JM
Posted By: gotlost Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congrats Scott, thanks for you service, all you need now is to become a consultant and get paid what your really worth.
Posted By: Powerguy Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congrats SH
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Good on you!
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Yes, thank you for serving. Hope this year ahead is a great one, and each year after better. Make it fun.

Posted By: ExpatFromOK Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Retirement letter is in. Everything says wait till 30, but it's akin to a 20 hour drive, that last hour is the bitch.

October 2012

Good on you. I'm 2 years behind you and that will put me at 27.

Expat
Posted By: MikeNZ Re: Why Not - 10/26/11

October 2012

30 years old, or 30 years service grin
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
You're retarded now!

Having a drink in your honor..
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Enjoy your retirement and a big thank you for your service!
Posted By: Violator22 Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congrats to ya Scott
Posted By: GeoW Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Hell yeah, while you're young enough to enjoy it smile

Thanks!
g
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Nice work and enjoy life.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congratulations! Now life begins! grin
Prepare to be busier than you've ever been in your life.

Thank you for your service, sir.

Ed
Posted By: mudhen Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Many thanks for all of the time and effort that you have put into serving your country and those of us that call this part of the planet home! Hope your retirement is everything you dreamed of.

Congratulations to you and your lady, and I wish nothing but the best of everything to both of you.

Mud
Posted By: FlaRick Re: Why Not - 10/26/11

October 2012

You gonna wander the earth like Kane in Kung Fu?
Posted By: Cheesehunter Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Well played. Good for you!
Posted By: RickyD Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Nice! You earned it.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congrats. Enjoy that which you've earned. I like the area you're in.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Be careful to those that opened the door, I'll have nothing but time.

To those that said thanks, nothing to say thanks for, though I appreciate it. It was a job, a job I enjoyed and an obligation I was happy to fulfill. So many before me that were far better and gave so much more.
Posted By: kciH Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congrats, I envy the hell out of your situation.

Given any thought to what you'd like to do? That is the biggest blessing of not having to worry over how you'll pay the bills.
As of now the plan is strictly retirement. Thought I might do a part-time gig at Lowes for 2 years to get employee discounts for the [bleep] I'd like to do around the house.

Don't worry though, I fully intend on [bleep] up on the job, so as I don't get promoted. Paint on aisle 3 when I know full well it's on aisle 7.

I've no doubt I could run the store in 2 years but responsibility is overrated.
lol, good answer.

Go buy a nice used mill and lathe. smile

Got a couple actions I could send your way.
Be on the lookout for Steelhead rifle re-barreling in a few years. I'll have a range in my yard for test firing and will of course specialize in Ackley Improved.
Sounds like a fair good way to retire.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
That would be good and would keep you out of mischief.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
I think you are making the right decision. Wishing tou the best in your retirement.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
I wish you the best.

I also expect dead speedgoat pics in the near future.
You know Scott, I don't know if it's the right decision, but it's a decision. What I do know is I don't have a career anymore when I HAVE to retire in 2 years, so it's time to get the afterlife moving.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Already have one I'm gonna send ya' when you hang out your shingle.

Congrats on the retirement!
Posted By: Scott F Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Yep. I understand the urge. Sometimes it means you just get the urge to make a change and it turns out it is the right thing to do.

I think of life as one adventure after another. Sounds like your next adventure is just around the corner.
Looking at what Scott has done after retiring, it sets my mind into planning mode. I've got a good, not afraid of work, hippie gf that would be in heaven on a farm like that...as I would be.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Dude,

what about Adak? You missed your chance last time! grin

Sycamore
Posted By: hunter1960 Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Be on the lookout for Steelhead rifle re-barreling in a few years. I'll have a range in my yard for test firing and will of course specialize in Ackley Improved.

Ronnie Barrett started his business from his house. I could show you places that he had housed the business over the years, to where he is now.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
That would be good and would keep you out of mischief.

NFL grin
No F'ing lime...
Posted By: BMT Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
As of now the plan is strictly retirement. Thought I might do a part-time gig at Lowes for 2 years to get employee discounts for the [bleep] I'd like to do around the house.

Don't worry though, I fully intend on [bleep] up on the job, so as I don't get promoted. Paint on aisle 3 when I know full well it's on aisle 7.

Liar. You will work harder than the guy next to you earning twice as much.

BMT
Posted By: Kachad Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Thanks for your Service! My GF was 20 and out, and now hitting the books to go back and work for the VA. Not sure of the difference between 20 and 30, but she has been treated well at 20.

Again, Thank You.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Originally Posted by HawkI
I wish you the best.

I also expect dead speedgoat pics in the near future.

schitt I can't get him out here...I tried tho
Be careful what you 'wish' for , I'll have NO work obligations to maintain.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
I question a man that don't like chasin' speedgoats!!

Neat critters, good meat; the "McSwirley" of NA game animals.....(grins)
Posted By: ingwe Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
I just tuned in and didn't read the whole thread....

Has anyone told him he sucked yet?? grin
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congrats Scott, lookin' forward to the retirement party threads! grin
That came up today, I said give me a kick in the ass and tell me good luck. When it's time, it's time.
Posted By: Big C Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Though you said it wasn't needed, thank you anyway for your service. Good to hear you enjoyed the job so much, so many aren't that fortunate. Now enjoy that time you've earned!!
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Why Not - 10/26/11

October 2012

That's great news Scott. I just came from my Sgt.'s retirement party. Of all the coppers I've worked with, he has had the most influence on my career (for the better). Good bosses are like hen's teeth.
Posted By: Waders Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Scott,

1. Thank you for your service to this great nation.
2. God bless you in your retirement; I wish you absolute happiness and satisfaction.
3. Please consider yourself invited for shooting and dinner anytime you pass through my neighborhood.

Take Care!
Posted By: Karnis Re: Why Not - 10/26/11

Good for you. A million shooting, hunting, fishing related things to do. Far as Lowe's I'd guess more like two weeks and feel pretty sure you'll not [bleep]. Don't think it's in your genes.

If your serious about the rebarreling gig, holler when you decide to do one or five. I've got a Husqvarna SR that needs a 6.5x55 barrel screwed on. No Ackley's unless it's a .223AI or .280AI. laugh
Posted By: LBP Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congrats, I still have a ways to go.

BTW you suck... grin
Posted By: safariman Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
CONGRATULATIONS!

Glad to hear of it.

Blessings to you in this new stage of life.

MARK
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Retirement,done right, is the A.I. version of having a real good job.grin

Enjoy it!
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
No F'ing lime...

Not bad but NFL="not for long" or "not freakin' likely." Both apply, your choice.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Why Not - 10/26/11

Scott,

First of all, my friend, thank you for your service. Absolutely, every American is in your debt!

Also, I believe you'll never regret your retirememt. It's a wonderful time and for many of us it is the most productive part of our lifetimes.

I retired at 49 years of age and have never, ever had a second thought about that decision.

CONGRATULATIONS ... Karen and I wish you the very, very best that your new life has to offer.

Blessings,

Steve

Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Why Not - 10/26/11

That would be spot on..
Posted By: 4xbear Re: Why Not - 10/26/11

To those that said thanks, nothing to say thanks for, though I appreciate it. It was a job, a job I enjoyed and an obligation I was happy to fulfill. So many before me that were far better and gave so much more.

Congratulations! It's not so much what you gave but what you offered to give. You wrote a blank check. Thank you for that.

I just poured three fingers of Jameson in your honor.

Semper Paratus! Bear
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Why Not - 10/26/11

The best of luck to you my friend. May you have many happy days ahead.

Posted By: Partsman Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Originally Posted by Waders
Scott,

2. God bless you in your retirement; I wish you absolute happiness and satisfaction.
3. Please consider yourself invited for shooting and dinner anytime you pass through my neighborhood.
4. Free legal advice.
Take Care!

Posted By: Winnie Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Good for you Steelie, now you can go shoot some more deer with your colored rifles and ugly azz shirts. grin
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
good on ya lad

well done

now you can take that retirement money and develop weapons systems that are undetectable and troll the coast of Somalia, just think of it, every day OPEN SEASON!

some how whatever you do, I think you'll figure out a way to make certain that life don't suck. (grin)
Posted By: Scotty Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congratulations.
Posted By: powdr Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
I just turned 60 and just received my first retirement check. For what I was spending on gas, my lunch, and a six pack a couple of days a week I came out about $300 less a month. My boat,jeep,truck,travel trailer,plotmaster, and my wife's car are all paid for. I figure I would be working for about $55-$60 a week.
My health is not as good as I would like for it to be but I am working on that. I've been working since I was 12 years old in the hayfield and I worked two jobs to get myself through college. I coached for 15 years, was an administrator for 6 years and taught for 35. I have not done anything for the past month except piddle w/my guns, plant my food plot, and dream. I didn't want to quit just yet and thought about going to 40years but I wanted to be able to enjoy a little of the simple life before I die.I am making a bucket list but even if I don't get to do any of them it will be fun just to dream.
So far after two months were doing fine and even have a little left over. We're not going to be able to go to the south of France every year but we do things as a couple to keep us close.
powdr
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Scott,

Our Nation will be poorer without your service, but you have long ago earned your right to choose how and when you retire.

From us at the Campfire, you will remain a National asset.

And you have the respect and admiration of a grateful Nation.

Steve

Posted By: frogman43 Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Good luck with the new life Scott!
Posted By: CEJ1895 Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congrats! I hope your next 30 years are filled with great times, great friends and a special woman!
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Good for you man! Nobody to make happy but yourself, if you want to go a little early why the hell not. Thank you for serving, and do hope you get into some gunsmithing!
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Maybe a stay-at-home Mom? smile
Posted By: tzone Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Good for you Scott.

Thank you for serving so long. I see many good hunts in your future.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Scott,

Come November 2012 you're welcome to hunt some deer in my camp - IN or KY take your pick...

Marty
Posted By: louiethedrifter Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Thank you for your Service,Sir. Keep your Rod tip up and your Powder dry. If your ever on the Middle Texas Coast, maybe we can catch a Redfish or Shoot a Hog.
Posted By: BLG Re: Why Not - 10/26/11

October 2012

Prayers sent!!! grin

And blow me. grin I've still got 20 more to go.

Clyde
Posted By: louiethedrifter Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
I would buy a Book on the World according to Steelhead,topics like AI's,Fast small Calibers,Fowl Weather gear,Photography,Savage 99's,ect.
Posted By: THOMASMAGNUM Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Scott
Congratulations! That is a big milestone. Thank you for serving, and making those sacrafices. Enjoy your retirement and any endeavours there after.

I sincerely hope you make it to Arizona sometime. The beer is on me.
Posted By: efw Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congrats and thank you very much for your service!

If you're ever around Michigan I'd be happy to buy you a meal and chat as well...
Posted By: rost495 Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Didn't read through em all, but yes, thanks for your service definitely and enjoy this as much as you can. Its a new leaf in life!
Posted By: Waders Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Originally Posted by Partsman
Originally Posted by Waders
Scott,

4. Free legal advice.
Take Care!

LOL! Nice addition to my original post--how could I have forgotten the free legal advice?! But yes, that offer is made as well--but you'll need to live in Washington for it to be any good. smile
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Why Not - 10/26/11

I felt the same way when I retired back in '99, but thanks anyway Scott. If you ever decide to come back to Alaska and make into south central, the drinks are on me. Just give me a fair warning so I can warn the wife and neighbors. grin
Posted By: JDK Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Young, healthy, and soon to be retired. Sounds perfect. Congratulations.
Posted By: elkchsr Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congrats!
Posted By: deflave Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Blow me... grin

Come kill something here when you have the time.

Travis
Posted By: badger Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Party!! I think another Texas shindig is called for. Pat can host smile
Posted By: BrotherBart Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Originally Posted by badger
Party!! I think another Texas shindig is called for. Pat can host smile
When and where?
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congrats Scott!
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congratulations! I'm jealous!
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congratulations, Scott.....enjoy it. Time is one thing they're not making any more of.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congratulations and enjoy.
Posted By: Hutch Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congrats and holler if you get around E Texas.
Posted By: ShootDogs Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congrats! My official retirement date is 1 May 2012 (26 years USAF). I'll have to get a real job, though, got 3 little kids that'll need more than my retirement check can cover.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Wow, Scott! Congrats!
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Why Not - 10/26/11
Congrats. We have a mutual acquaintance that is following suit.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Why Not - 10/27/11
Looks like my hunting calendar will be full for awhile. Thank you everyone.

I do think hunting shindig is in order.

If I do everything right my last day of work will be June 30th, assuming the retirement request is approved, but I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Why Not - 10/27/11
Congratulations, thank you, have fun!
Posted By: SSB Re: Why Not - 10/27/11
Best to ya, and thanks for your service! Looking forward to more great photos...
Posted By: Partsman Re: Why Not - 10/27/11
All kidding aside, I believe Steelhead is one that most anybody would enjoy sharing a campfire with.
I gather though that SH does not miss Alaska enough to move up there. cool
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: Why Not - 10/27/11
After 18 years of retirement I long ago lost any desire to go back to full time work.

Jim
Posted By: tzone Re: Why Not - 10/27/11
Looks like my hunting calendar will be full for awhile. Thank you everyone.

Well, ya gotta invite to hunt northern MN if/when you want.
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Why Not - 10/27/11

Maybe better, maybe not. Who's to say? The fact is, you gave of yourself, and it's appreciated. Enjoy retirement. (If you get up to PA. again, let me know. I'll have a cold one ready.)
Posted By: sbhva Re: Why Not - 10/27/11
Congrats Steelhead. If you ever get to Wis., let me know and we can have a cold one.
Posted By: Blacktail308 Re: Why Not - 10/28/11
You know Scott, I don't know if it's the right decision, but it's a decision. What I do know is I don't have a career anymore when I HAVE to retire in 2 years, so it's time to get the afterlife moving.

I did it on my time schedule and it worked out to 29 1/2. The best part of working after your career is that you go to work and do one job, maybe two, and we were used to wearing 5 or 6 hats on any given day. You're gonna like "retirement". It's not the same CG we joined anyway....but all the old timers said that smile FWIW, I would have stayed past 30 if allowed. I loved it.
Posted By: sse Re: Why Not - 10/28/11
This calls for a bottle of scotch...LOL
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Why Not - 10/29/11
That would keep me working for a few more years...
© 24hourcampfire