Home
As our "Monsoon Moose Season" is coming to a close I have realized I am in desperate need of some new rubber hunting boots! I am presently evaluating 3 different boots:
1) LaCrosse 18" Alpha Burly Sport uninsulated neoprene.
2) Irish Setter Rutmaster 17" uninsulated.
3) Scentblocker Dream Season uninsulated.
Anyone care to offer some comments regarding comfort,wear,and value to help me decide which is the best buy? Thanks.
Ha Ha! I was wondering if the two were related. Need rubber boots for a lot of the advice you get.
BF Goodrich...
Originally Posted by JBGQUICK
Ha Ha! I was wondering if the two were related. Need rubber boots for a lot of the advice you get.

Thank your lucky stars it isn't a sheep thread.
Find it hard to believe nobody willing to offer constructive advise regarding good hunting boots!! But willing to "crank" on non-hunting issues like "fuel pumps installed in a gas tank"!!!
Anybody????
My La Crosse pair has a pin hole leak some where. Almost anoying enough to try to find.
Don't pay extra for scentblocker. It's been proven to be pretty much worthless. Just stay downwind.

My La Crosse pair has a pin hole leak some where. Almost anoying enough to try to find.
Fill it with water and watch for a wet spot on the outside. To help locate it, spray the outside with some kind of powdered foot spray or something that will soak up when wet.
I have a pair of LaCrosse Burly's and love them.
I will never buy from LaCrosse again. 3 pairs of brand-new, expensive, supposed top-of-the-line waders shipped as leaky as a sieve. Three times sent back inside a month. Accused of being a cheat, liar, etc. by 'customer service'. Also had two pairs of leaky LC Burlys fall apart in less than a season apiece. Their name is mud. Never another nickle.
try Muck boots,,,good fit,,,not too expensive.
I have had good luck with Muck boots
Plus 3 on the Muck boots...

Have had a pair for about 5 years now. I wear them every week-end in wet wether, and usually hike two or more miles per week-end.

They will be replaced with the same thing when/if they ever wear out.

Virgil B.
Muck's all the way! Don't look back. Butch
The local REC lineman crews swear by Mucks and those boys are hard on stuff and see a lot of bad conditions....Russ
I used to swear by the original American made Lacrosse Burley's.

After looking over the imported Burley's they are selling nowadays, I believe I'd have to go with the Mucks.
Originally Posted by orion03
I have a pair of LaCrosse Burly's and love them.

ditto, although down here I usually wear the plain uninsulated ones. or the white shrimp boots. wink

just curious, living in Ontario, why are you only interested in the UNinsulated versions?
I have a pair of Servus rubber boots since I was a teenager that are still holding up, albeit with limited use.

I believe the same company makes XtraTuf boots. They have insulated and non-insulated models.

If you look closely at pictures posted by people in Alaska, the XtraTufs appear to be among the most popular rubber boots going up there. That says something....

Here is the website:

XtraTuf Boots
Thanks everyone...going to investigate the Muck boots a little closer as you have all given some good reports.
To Steve in New Orleans..it's not all that cold up here! This years Moose season started Oct 12 and it was +70 degrees for the first week then one week of solid non-stop rain!! Maybe something to do with "global warming?". our usual season starts off above freezing and usually wet but our conditions can change quite rapidly to the point were everything is frozen and rubber boots get put away for warmer winter style boots which are ultimately selected if you are a walker or a sitter! I have used non-insulated Nokia rubber boots for many years but are now difficult to locate. (imported from Finnland, absolutely great boots.)
Steve,in Biloxi MS they call those white boots Back Bay Reboks.
Seems they are the trendy thing to wear for every day style.
Xtra Tuffs are worthy of a look along with the Mucks.
#1 is what I have and they're great. They've held up through 10 or so seasons of use. I used them at work for 4 years as a land surveyor chasing through swamps and they still work.

They're tough to get on at first because they have fitted feet and ankles. Once they're on, no problems.

A slightly shorter version would be great for just hunting, but these were orginally bought for work.
Another +1 for Muck Boots.

They're NOT good for tromping thru thorns or briars because the outside skin tears easy.

But for general wear in a non-pointy environment they work great. Warm and very light weight and they fit like a glove.
I'm with the Xtratuff folks. I've got a lot of miles on my current pair. No worries about pokey brush, and fairly decent traction on most surfaces.
extratuff for me too. they are super proven, nothing to go gunnybag, fit great.....mine are old and still good. they are not typical rubber, they are neoprene.....but not open cell like mucks
Mucks here too.

I like mine.

© 24hourcampfire