Home
Favorite outer layer is the Cabelas Berber Extreme parka and bibs. Silent, warm as hell and I can remove the hood which always annoys me. Downside is it's not weatherproof but I take a poncho with me if the weather looks iffy. Hard to beat for stand hunting.

For base layers, I really like Icebreaker merino wool. Light and warm.

I have a Cabelas Dry Plus parka. I LOVE this thing.

I wear it for hunting, ice fishing...EVERYTHING.

Cabela's Legacy Dry plus wool bibs and Filson Double Macinaw...sitka longjohns, underlayer top, and traverse pullover. UA Arctic beanie.

...call it my Nascar ensemble. wink
The same stuff I wear the rest of the year, only with a game vest.
KOM has no equal.
http://shop.kingofthemountain.com/

dave
Originally Posted by dave7mm
KOM has no equal.

dave

Yes, it does..........Sleeping Indian, IMO, is better than the KOM.

I have both & like the finish of the wool & the workmanship better on the SI stuff.

Sleeping Indian Wool

MM
I have a custom Day One Camo wool parka.
The heaviest goose down parka and bibs that Cabella's sold some years ago with matching Sorel pacs. Actually it's primarily for ice fishing. Layered up right you have to move slowly when it's 20 below to avoid perspiring. Would be good with a white smock for late 'yotes, like hunting from a sleeping bag.

More usually something on the order of a quad parka. And bibs, depending. Fleece or down for layering as necessary. Deer starts the weekend before Thanksgiving so the mornings are kinda brisk sitting still. You shed a lot of it about noon and when it's time to move more.
Cabela's Wooltimate Fleece windshear by far and above the best stuff I've ever owned.

Wooltimate Fleece
I use that too. For just stand sitting I like my Filson wool packer coat...hot as a furnace to walk in, but it sure feels good up a tree when the wind blows. would never wear it on public land, that fleece collar looks too much like a deer's ass.
bereber for this guy!
Cabela's Wooltimate,(outfitter) but I love my Berber parka for those long,long waits in treestands exceeding 30 minutes.

Under Armor base layer 2 not because it's extra warm but because the compression fit pushes in my belly a tad.

[Linked Image]
I like my Raven Wear. Both the base and outer layers. It's extremely warm, quiet and custom made to fit. Not cheap though.

Mike
ruh roh....somebody's going to be looking for his reindeer.
A good pair of insulated waterproof boots.
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
KOM has no equal.

dave

I have both & & like the finish of the wool & the workmanship better on the SI stuff.

Sleeping Indian Wool

MM

Sleeping Indian is good stuff but it felt itchie to me.

dave
Nice one!

Love to hunt those one of these days.

Tried the Wooltimate but that windshear seemed to make too much noise for archery.

The heavy Berber is the most comfortable and quiet thing I've ever tried and I've tried about everything except the top shelf wool.

Those old heavy Woolrich coats sorta turned me off to wool because how stiff they were when layered underneath.
It all depends on what you consider cold. I don't hunt much when it gets to 10 degrees and colder. I've found the Core4 merino hoodie and boxers, combined with my 90% pants keep me plenty warm down to said temps. For upper warmth I like my Mtn Shirt over my merino hoodie then my 90% jacket on top of that. If i'm sitting still glassing then i'll put a fleece top under the 90% jacket.
A good strong T shirt down here shocked
Originally Posted by Wtxj

lol

Lucky bastids.

Just can't imagine hunting in shorts and a t-shirt.
Nice one!

Love to hunt those one of these days.
=============

Thanks but of the 1000 I saw that day,I think mine was the smallest. You shoot one and 5 minutes later another larger caribou walks by.

Yes,you'd love the hunt. relatively inexpensive,you get to tag two and the meat is delicious.
I have berber with windstopper and wind shear, i prefer the windstopper....fwiw. I have hunted in it to about -20*f. I am bmmed I did not find the stuff years sooner, it would have saved me a lot of money.
bunny boots

poly pro liner socks under smart wools

Brynje fish net long underwear top covered by merino wool top usually IceBreaker brand

poly pro long john bottoms or m wool depending on if there's flying involved

woolrich wool sweater

worsterlon shirt size 2xl

nylon or Carhart bibs depending if gonna be around water

neck gaiter

balaclava

mad bomber hat

wristies

snowmachine gloves over liner gloves wool

goggles

puffball vest

Bean Parka

enough chem pax to bring OBL back to room temp

a road flare and other fire building stuff

but that would be hunting in winter here by snowmachine

for late fall when the temp may only be in the teens or zero at the coldest, just my usual hunting garb

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I must be the only one who uses White Water Bibs nd coat, Lacrosse insulated pacs
Take a look a Beagleware wool and nylon mix warm and waterproof Clint

With the monster of a storm you have headed your way,it appears you just might need all that gear,Randy.
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

[Linked Image]

HEY Wild Thing!! You left your rifle out in the blizzard!!! wink
always do David, nothing contributes to rust like bringing a rifle into the tent and then back outside again to hunt.

also plays hell on optics fogging the lenses

GI Bunny Boots (when wet)
Beaver Hat
Beaver Gloves
Caribou Mukluks (when dry)
Wolf Hide Ruff on Otter Parka
Caribou Hide with a hole cut in the middle for my head to go through, draped over me on the snowmachine.
Anything more than -60 I try to stay close to a cabin.
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
bunny boots

poly pro liner socks under smart wools

Brynje fish net long underwear top covered by merino wool top usually IceBreaker brand

poly pro long john bottoms or m wool depending on if there's flying involved

woolrich wool sweater

worsterlon shirt size 2xl

nylon or Carhart bibs depending if gonna be around water

neck gaiter

balaclava

mad bomber hat

wristies

snowmachine gloves over liner gloves wool

goggles

puffball vest

Bean Parka

enough chem pax to bring OBL back to room temp

a road flare and other fire building stuff

but that would be hunting in winter here by snowmachine

for late fall when the temp may only be in the teens or zero at the coldest, just my usual hunting garb

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wouldn't it be easier to pull a heated cabin around behind you? No wonder so many guys worry about sweating. wink
I figured. But also figured you just wanted a much cooler picture. wink Don't do much snow hunting (well none actually), down this way.

BTW, I've been receiving some really neat gifts from the DAV this year. Still contributing too.
Originally Posted by rrroae
Favorite outer layer is the Cabelas Berber Extreme parka and bibs. Silent, warm as hell and I can remove the hood which always annoys me. Downside is it's not weatherproof but I take a poncho with me if the weather looks iffy. Hard to beat for stand hunting.

For base layers, I really like Icebreaker merino wool. Light and warm.

I don't know if our cold is like your cold... typical elk hunting weather ranges from lows in the minus-5, maybe minus-10 range, to mid +20's F. So not as cold as the far NE...

Capilene base layers, up to the Expedition Weight if needed.

Dense felted surplus wool pants if it's going to be dry or just snowy, Rivers West pants if it's wet.

Rivers West jacket, one of two. I have a parka style that is made of a heavy version of their (warm, soft, quiet, waterproof) fabric and a waist-length jacket made of a lighter version. Knowing they are waterPROOF allows for planning on being out all day regardless of the weather. Downside is, they are not breathable per se.

Under Armor ColdGear.

Travis
Originally Posted by isaac
Cabela's Wooltimate,(outfitter) but I love my Berber parka for those long,long waits in treestands exceeding 30 minutes.

Under Armor base layer 2 not because it's extra warm but because the compression fit pushes in my belly a tad.

I look at it like that, too!
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
KOM has no equal.

dave

I have both & like the finish of the wool & the workmanship better on the SI stuff.

Sleeping Indian Wool

MM

Sleeping Indian is good stuff but it felt itchie to me.

dave

No matter who's wool it is, I never wear it directly against my skin..........always some kind of base layer or underlayer.

All of them will itch me if it's directly against my skin.

MM
Originally Posted by Wtxj

he's not joking....I've hunted the Texas deer opener in a t-shirt as often as not.
In Alberta late season, I use a Cabela Dry Plus Parka over Ravenwear's thick mid-layer fleece over two layers of merino wool underwear with Filson wool pants.

My favorite item is the chemical toe warmers with adhesive that stick to my socks.
Filson heavyweight wool long johns, and various layers over that depending on activity,wind,temp,and moisture.
TAD ranger hoodie is the best gear I've used for the upper body.

http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Apparel/Sweaters-Hoodies/Ranger-Hoodie
My dad turned my onto these.

http://wildragsbylois.com/jaquardsilks.html

I won't work/hunt in cold weather without one now.

Makes a major difference.

Other than that it's easy to stay warm if you layer up for cold weather. It's that 20-40F rainy snowy chit that's tough to handle all day.
My outer layers tend to vary depending on the rain/wind/temp combo. Who knows what I'll have on depending on the day. My baselayer is Duofold no matter what the conditions. But for cold weather and stand hunting a few things are always worn:

Ullfrotte 400 gram top/bottom insulating layer

Patagonia micro-puff vest

Wigwam silk & merino wool blend socks

Will
Oh yeah, can't forget the socks.

I'm still stuck on Smartwool, tried about 3 or 4 different other fairly expensive brands but SW seems to last the longest and the heavy versions are very warm/comfortable.

Duofold makes great longjohns, actually have a pair on right now....grin
A rope.

With a Deer on the other end.
Sam smartwool makes some very good socks. They make a running sock called the PhD which is quite simply the best running sock I have ever seen. Not even close. Good company.

Will
Will, that they do, might try one of their long sleeved 'shirts' this Winter. Imagine the quality would be just as good.
Northern Outfitters - is far and away the best I've found.

http://www.northernoutfitters.com/
Heater body suit
Here is mine.

[Linked Image]

While on the topic,has anyone found some snow camo gear they could recommend.

Sorry for the slight hijack,trips.
© 24hourcampfire