Home
Posted By: Armednfree Maxi Patch - 11/10/11
Year ago, in the early to mid 80's, I started muzzle loader hunting. I had a T/C 50 cal Renegade. I came upon a combination that was like the hammer of Thor. Actually two loads. I used Lee REAL bullets in 250 grain and 320 grain in front of 100-110 grains of 2FG. Deer killing rig right there, cast in pure lead it would just bang them hard, In less than pure lead it would do almost as well.

The thing is I used what was called a Maxi Patch. These would allow you to use lead that was harder, like wheel weights. Apparently they are not made anymore. Or are they? I'd like to rebuild that load in an in line.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Maxi Patch - 11/10/11
Don't think they're the same

I've been looking for Butler Creek Poly-Patches, little plastic cups to hold the round ball. Stopped making them 25 years ago. I stumble across a bag now and again. Worked really well.

g
Posted By: rost495 Re: Maxi Patch - 11/10/11
begs to be posted in the MZ forum....
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Maxi Patch - 11/10/11
Not sure what caliber you're looking for, but Hornady makes 'em for the 50 caliber muzzle loader.

Hornady roundball/sabot
Posted By: GeoW Re: Maxi Patch - 11/10/11
Thanks bruinruin, that will definitely work for me smile
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Maxi Patch - 11/10/11
Folks will make patches out of anything if want to shoot bad enough, won't they. Probably hit like a raging biotch, too.
Posted By: Armednfree Re: Maxi Patch - 11/10/11
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Not sure what caliber you're looking for, but Hornady makes 'em for the 50 caliber muzzle loader.

Hornady roundball/sabot

No, theses follow the lines of one like you would use on a pistol bullet, tapered inside a bit. Dang fine sabot to shoot a heavy projectile.

The reason I ask is that all these fancy sabot bullets and such are just too expensive.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Maxi Patch - 11/10/11
too expensive? I practice with whatever when I actually practice, my 54 elk rifle can shoot PRBs just fine and cheap.

But too expensive to hunt with? 2-3 to verify zero? one animal, one bullet basically. 5 a year if killing one animal. Even if 5 bucks each thats only 25 bucks....
None of my guns are just hunting guns. I shoot for kicks mostly. If it was just hunting I would have no reason to use anything else than a shotgun slug.
None of my guns are just hunting guns. I shoot for kicks mostly. If it was just hunting I would have no reason to use anything else than a shotgun slug.

And the big issue is pure lead, I know with the maxi patch I can get away with shooting wheel weights as long as the barrel is clean.
© 24hourcampfire