Home
Posted By: Sassy This morning's deer hunting - 11/17/11
Good day for deer. Tom went out hunting at 8:30 (he overslept) came back to the house at 9:40 to get the Gator to bring his deer up. He got back to where his doe was and after he loaded her in the back he saw an 8 pt buck that he also brought back to the house. Not bad for a couple hours work. laugh
Posted By: 4xbear Re: This morning's deer hunting - 11/17/11
Hah! That is a better day than I had working. frown How ya been we haven't talked in a wile. Hope you are doing well. Bear
Ha, can't beat that! Getting up early isn't all that it's cracked up to be.
Posted By: Sassy Re: This morning's deer hunting - 11/17/11
Thanks for asking bear. I'm doing much better now that I'm on dialysis. Les and family are going to be here sometime Saturday until after turkey day. Les is coming to get his own deer, if there are any left laugh I took a couple of pics of the critters but will have to have Les post them on here for me so it will be a few days.

This year Tom sent the deer out to be processed which is different for us as I've always done the butchering. Kinda nice, now if I could just teach him to cook I'd be all set laugh

I read the forum everyday just don't post very often. Hope everyone on the forum is doing well.

Oh almost forgot, Happy Thanksgiving and good luck with your hunting.
Les and family are going to be here sometime Saturday
Condolences, but glad your doing better!
Glad to hear the hunting is good n the farm Sassy. Have Les give me a call when he gets in town, if there's time maybe we can meet up for coffee, or a beer.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you as well!
Keith
Posted By: isaac Re: This morning's deer hunting - 11/17/11
Nice going,Tom!
Congratulations
Posted By: Stan V Re: This morning's deer hunting - 11/17/11
Sassy, one of the most spirited people I've ever met was on dialysis. Glad you're doing well.
Thanks Isaac. Both were center of chest shots with one round just behind the shoulder with my Ithaca 37 deer slayer in 20 gauge (smooth bore, federal truballs) which continues to amaze me with its penetration. It ran about 40 yards with a huge blood trail. The doe was sort of surprising as it came running across the woods and turned right toward me. At about 30 yards I committed and it was to late for the doe to escape. I guess that I'm not used to deer running toward me! Anyway, I'd seen several bucks the day before but wasn't able to get a decent shot because of brush or distance.
Congrats, Tom. Sounds like a good morning's work. You two have a great Thanksgiving.
Glad Dad can at least kill deer.

Now, if he could only teach his son.... wink

Congrats, Tom!
Congrats to Tom and glad to see you are feeling better and posting!

Jason
Posted By: eh76 Re: This morning's deer hunting - 11/17/11
Good to hear from you Tom & Sassy! Happy Thanksgiving to you! Congrats on the deer.
Surely glad to hear you're feeling better Miz Sassy.
When Les gets there tell him Boggy said Howdy.
You all have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Posted By: tzone Re: This morning's deer hunting - 11/17/11
Congrats GH. I'm not doing so well in the deer killing department, I'm glad somebody is.
Posted By: byc Re: This morning's deer hunting - 11/17/11
Dang---I go out there at 0 dark hundred and see nothing. Tom slips out of bed at 8:30 and does a 2'fer. Just ain't right I tell ya! Ain't right at all!
Congratulations!

That's the way to start the day!

Ed
Posted By: Sassy Re: This morning's deer hunting - 11/17/11
Tom's two fer deer reminds me of the story about my dad's friend who took his son deer hunting in Northern Mich for the first time planning on being gone a week. Big John told his son to go out and scout around for deer sign while he set up the camp. About 5 minutes later he hears "bang, bang" and his son comes back and told his dad that he got his deer and one for his dad too laugh Big John went and picked up both deer and just started repacking the truck and came on home. That was when you were only allowed one deer a year.
Great news when I read the thread. Sassy doing fine, Dad got some meat on the ground, and CO gets a reprieve from Les for a while.

But having Les at home for the holidays is More isn't it?
Congrats to Tom on a good morning's work!

Though this is the campfire, we need details on what gun, what distances, and pictures!!

grin
Sassy Les told us what he wants for Xmas. he wants to get in shape this next year.
BYC - It seems that 9am is when I get most of my deer --- while still hunting on the way back in from my morning post. What was interesting was that the neighbors wrapped it up and left about 8:20, but I heard some shots from their direction in the late afternoon. The neighbor is still working on picking corn (60 acre field) and it looks like he may get it done today.
dang sorry Sassy too sleepy, put the hint for Les's gift in the thread entitled great exercise equipment
nice story - nice hunt a lot of us -so called - city folks sure wish we could just walk out back and pop a few deer to fill the fridge -

usually a 2 hr drive to get to good huntin areas but some desert deer within an hr.

enjoy ur venison
Great way to getter done especially for us geezers!! grin
Congrats on your deer Tom!!!!

Good to see Sassy up and about...
Now, if he could only teach his son....

Thinkin Tom needs to use a bigger 2X4... grin
Posted By: W7ACT Re: This morning's deer hunting - 11/17/11
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

+1 On the condolences as far as Les is concerned, but I'll bet you'll be glad to see his wife and the grand kids. Glad to hear you are doing better.
Posted By: PAMac Re: This morning's deer hunting - 11/18/11
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

He only goes home to the farm when he knows it's cold enough that the spiders are all gone.....

Hope Les's outcome will be as good as his dads.

Good job Uncle Tom!!! I know that you have been working hard on your land this year and priming it for the season.

Glad to see it paid off.
Posted By: maddog Re: This morning's deer hunting - 11/18/11
Sassy, tell Tom good job! Chicken fried steak and gravy is great comfort food....until April! grin

maddog
Originally Posted by Sassy
Thanks for asking bear. I'm doing much better now that I'm on dialysis. Les and family are going to be here sometime Saturday until after turkey day. Les is coming to get his own deer, if there are any left laugh I took a couple of pics of the critters but will have to have Les post them on here for me so it will be a few days.

This year Tom sent the deer out to be processed which is different for us as I've always done the butchering. Kinda nice, now if I could just teach him to cook I'd be all set laugh

I read the forum everyday just don't post very often. Hope everyone on the forum is doing well.

Oh almost forgot, Happy Thanksgiving and good luck with your hunting.
I'm so sorry to hear that Les is invading your home for Thanksgiving. Try to have a good time, anyways Sassy!

Happy Turkey Day, Sassy, and whatever you do, be sure to flip him the bird!
© 24hourcampfire