Home
Have any of you boy's got any current information on these guy's, especially the production manager, one Toyon J. Wiggs?

He contacted me about finishing a project for me back in May of this year saying that Sharps Rifle Company were the new owners of A-Square...

I have been waiting on a call from them since July and now find that all there phones have been disconnected or so says the recording I'm getting!

Could sure use some help getting hold of these guy's! mad

Phil
profile hasn't been updated in a year:

http://www.manta.com/c/mtcqy2k/a-square-of-wyoming-llc
I hear it is a good place to stay away from.
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Have any of you boy's got any current information on these guy's, especially the production manager, one Toyon J. Wiggs?

He contacted me about finishing a project for me back in May of this year saying that Sharps Rifle Company were the new owners of A-Square...

I have been waiting on a call from them since July and now find that all there phones have been disconnected or so says the recording I'm getting!

Phil

PM wyoguide he is from that area
Thanks, done!

This whole thing has been a real nightmare, ever since originally talking with Arthur Alpin way back in early 2008 about building a heavy 35 of my own design, what I called a .358PLP...

In 2009 with the understanding that A-Square would build the rifle, I had Dave Manson make up a custom reamer for it along with a set of gages, and sent that along with a $900 deposit for the rile to A-Square...

And never could again make contact with them....

Fast forward to around May of this year! This Toyon J. Wiggs contacts me after I responded to another members request about A-Square, and after telling me that the company was under new management from the Sharps Rifle Company, that they had found my order and wanted to know if I still wanted the rifle, and that they still had my deposit, along with the reamer and gages, and that they would honor the original order...

And I fell for it, and sent them, after having Dave Manson making a custom re-reamer at Reddings request a brand new Deluxe die set for the .358PLP, along with a two die set to put a shoulder on the 404 Jefferies brass for fire forming... that had been made earlier...

So as of right now, I'm out a pretty good bundle on this deal! mad

Phil
You know I don't think I have ever heard one good thing about Art Alpin....
http://mtstandard.com/news/local/article_6d7a275b-d42c-529c-b8eb-88fc9c4d1123.html
I have the feeling the place has been seized... here I've been patiently waiting for a call from them, waiting on a progress report on the project... and decided to call them this morning only to find all the phone numbers have been disconnected.

A little while ago I called and talked to the business editor of the Star-Tribune that did a story on them back in Dec, 2010 and he said that he's been trying to find out him self what is going on, and that he hasn't seen anyone there in months...

Then a computer search I did, said that Art Alpin as of Feb, 2011 was up on felony charges for making false application on some kind of jobs grant back in 2007...

I'm gonna keep trying, so far I'm out nearly 2 grand with nothing to show for it.

Phil

Jeez, remind me NEVER to piss you off.

GTC
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
� Jeez, remind me NEVER to piss you off.

Fret thee ne'er!
OK, ...seriously,....isn't this a "residue" of an almost impossible "Joint Venture" on the part of 5-6 different outfits all setting up under one umbrella,....or am I thinking of a different embarrassing catastrophe ?

Lord only knows, the ditches and coulees along the road to "Small Custom Rifle Shops" are littered with the wrecks of those who failed in the curves.

You know what (and whom) I'm talking about, too.

GTC
PM sent. Just to be clear, The Sharps Rifle Company has NO affiliation with either Shiloh Sharps or C Sharps both of Big Timber, MT.
Yup, I found that out today. I talked to a girl at Shiloh who thought one of their smiths had worked for A-Square at one time, but he appearently didn't know anything new.

Phil

I love reading The Standard!

Sycamore
Originally Posted by eh76

will say i do like the reloading manual he put out, but thats prolly cause he got alot of quality ppl together to help write it.....you can read it like a rifle and cartridge book more than a reloading manual and am happy to give it space on my book shelf.....hear others say the same but its the only positive thing ive heard related to the guy....
Originally Posted by rattler

will say i do like the reloading manual he put out, but thats prolly cause he got alot of quality ppl together to help write it.....you can read it like a rifle and cartridge book more than a reloading manual and am happy to give it space on my book shelf.....hear others say the same but its the only positive thing ive heard related to the guy....

Rattler, what is the name of said manual? i would much like to see some more educational material on loading.
http://www.amazon.com/Any-Shot-You-..._1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322021338&sr=8-1

"Col. Art Alphin is the driving force behind this book and its collection of 5 authors, Finn Aagaard, Craig Boddington, Dr. Gary Minton, Terry Wieland, and the Colonel"

BTW Marty if your willing to pay to send it back yah can borrow my copy for a bit....
BTW Marty if your willing to pay to send it back yah can borrow my copy for a bit....

i might just take you up on that. this seems like a good group of guys who did the writing. its only a couple of bucks to ship it, so why not? i'd very much like to see it.

thanks!
The book is well worth the read, although much in it is about selling their brand of bullets. Now that we have such good bonded and mono-metal bullets, much of the A-square sell seems outdated.

All I ever got stuck with is the worst batch of brass for a 358STA that I ever saw. Had to pay up front, wait a year, and was afraid to use what I got. Couldn't get a refund on them.
Yup, I found that out today. I talked to a girl at Shiloh who thought one of their smiths had worked for A-Square at one time, but he appearently didn't know anything new.

Phil

Thanks for cleaning up yer' act.

GTC

Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

Jeez, remind me NEVER to piss you off.

Oh, how many times friends have said that to me!

But not always in those same words.

When we were in forestry school at Auburn (1953�1955), Wyatt and I hunted squirrels 'way back in the woods where the road ended at a huge clearing where a big pile of sawdust and slabs marked the site of a long-gone sawmill. Wyatt went one way and I another. We met back at the car when we got our limit (six, IIRC) or the sun was going down.

A group of local Negro men hunted there, too � and I enjoyed rich pickin's by just following them through the woods until I found a good spot to sit still and wait. They never stopped and were never quiet. They marched through the woods in a cluster, talking loud and shooting shotguns at every tree-top squirrel nest that they passed. After they'd gone on and the woods were quiet again, the squirrels came out again, and my .22 had plenty to do for a while.

One evening, I was back at the car, waiting for Wyatt, when the Negroes came out of the woods. As hunters always do, we asked "How'dja do?" They had nothing, and wanted to see proof that I'd "got my limit." I laid my six or so on the front fender of Wyatt's Buick.

"Look at dat!" one of 'em said, "Evva one shot spang th'oo de head!" Then one of 'em noticed the 7�-inch Colt single-action on my hip.

"Can you shoot dat'n' as good as you shoots dat twenny-two?"

"No, not as well."

"Le's see!"

That clearing had been a popular plinking spot for a long time. The only things there that were big enough to shoot at were bits and pieces from bottles. I made five of 'em smaller.

"Man! I sho' wouldn't want you shootin' at me with dat thing!"

"Huh!" another one said, "I wouldn't want 'im shootin' at me with nuffin!"
Another time, one said to another, "I wouldn't be skeered to let you shoot at me!"

"I would!" a third said, "He might hit me on de acksy-dent."

Phil

From what I read somewhere, this guy, Jay, actually runs part of the company:

Wyoming Professional Hunters, Ltd
PO Box 2050
Glenrock, WY 82637
email: [email protected]
307-436-8655
Wyoming Outfitter License #BG183

Click to Email us

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...p;tn=Any+Shot+You+Want&x=76&y=24

Or $20 plus $5 shipping for my copy.

PM me first.
Call the Sheriff's Department in their County, ask some questions. I would bet there are some hunter/shooters there, and they like to stop in for coffee and BS. Just saying.
Like some others here said, I do like his reloading manual. I also remember reading about his guns in Shooting Times years ago and noticed how heavy they were. Didn't want any part of that.

I was curious as to why so many people here don't seem to think too highly of him. I guess now I'm getting a good idea.
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
The book is well worth the read, although much in it is about selling their brand of bullets. Now that we have such good bonded and mono-metal bullets, much of the A-square sell seems outdated.

All I ever got stuck with is the worst batch of brass for a 358STA that I ever saw. Had to pay up front, wait a year, and was afraid to use what I got. Couldn't get a refund on them.

When .220 Sako brass became non-existent a benchrest shooter contracted with them to make 6PPC Classic brass. I had to pay $125 up front for 100 pieces and when I finally got them they were so bad I just trashed them. That seems to be a way of life for them. Trash begets trash.
My dealing with "the Colonel" have been chronicled here before, and were definitely negative.
Old news but might shed some light for the OP.
http://trib.com/news/local/crime-an...e499575-6308-565f-bca0-deb51704f54a.html

Alphin has supposedly sold the company to The Sharps Rifle Company but they appear to be nothing more than a pipe dream. Scammer getting scammed?
I remember Allen Day calling A-Square "Art Alphin's Fying Circus". Still chuckle about that...
Originally Posted by brooksrange

Phil

From what I read somewhere, this guy, Jay, actually runs part of the company:

Wyoming Professional Hunters, Ltd
PO Box 2050
Glenrock, WY 82637
email: [email protected]
307-436-8655
Wyoming Outfitter License #BG183

Click to Email us

Any update for us?
Just got off the phone with Mike Blanc from A-Square, I had a very nice long chat with him ( must have been an hour or more) about what is going on with the company, and what the future might hold...

Doesn't look like Art Alpin is going to be much of a part of things from now on...

The Hanabil rifle probably won't be produced there any more, but a new item is in the works...

Mike spent a couple day's trying to get a hold of me, and I kept missing his calls, finally we were able to talk and he informed me that my dies and tooling have been sent back to me...

That's the only thing I was worried about, them getting lost in the change of management.

I'm leaving the deposit on the new rifle in his hands hoping that I will get in on the ground floor when the new rifle production does start...

I'm very satasified at this point, and wish them the best on the new company...

Phil

Greyghost,

We have lots in common.. I received a call from Toyon is ~March about my order.. ($900 dropped on a Tyran in 2008)

got the whole chit-chat about a new owner and how things were moving on & up.. had many conversation with Toyon since, and recently found ALL phone numbers disconnected..

long story short, I got lots of money on a rifle I was lead to believe was weeks away from finishing..

I suspected that since Mike appears to be trying to graft his 'dream' of manufacturing the Merwin Hulbert pistol into the A-square opperation. What it appears to have done is effectively ruined a slow-start of Alphin operation, and that Art has decided to run for the hills..

I shall me calling Mike myself next week and ask some questions of my own.. Since I have 'Sharps' new number: 888-320-3113.

It's too bad they don't take away Art Alpins patents. It's too bad that the 338/06 has that crappy name attached to it.
What ever was/is going on he kept his word in making sure my dies and tooling was sent back to me... had them back in hand within just a couple day's, well kept for and in same new conditon as when I sent them to them... whether or not the $900 deposit thing is cleared up and when is another matter...

My main concern at this time was getting this stuff back, and not lost in all the confusuion... spent some $1,200 for a reamer, re-reamer, 3-piece gauge set, 2-piece Redding set of forming dies to neck down and place the shoulder for fireforming, and a 3-piece Deluxe die set for loading... to me that would have been a lot to loose, not to mention all the time and effort put into this project!

Phil
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
It's too bad they don't take away Art Alpins patents. It's too bad that the 338/06 has that crappy name attached to it.

+1000
With Dakota and Serengeti in business and doing right, I'm mystified by the continuing interest in A-Square.
At this point, I dont care what is going on with A-square AKA Sharps Rifle Company AKA MerwinHulbert, ect..

Now, I am trying to figure out which state to issue a summons for small claims court. My state of Indiana, WY, or where Mike Blank lives in MO..

This thread keeps popping up, but in answer to your question Ken, I started talking to Art back in early 2008 about the rifle I wanted, and mid 2009 when I put the deposit on it... He was willing to listen to me about what I wanted and was willing to do a rifle on a wildcat for me.

I've talked to a bunch of gunsmiths, and there's a bunch that won't open up a bolt face, wont do a build based on a wildcat, and some that don't even want to work on Winchesters.

It's been a long time since I've had my little maching shop, so having someone else do the build was imparitive...

Phil
...and some that don't even want to work on Winchesters.
Bless those guys... Leaves more for ME!

laugh laugh
Well, I get a voicemail friday from Toyon Wiggs stating that my rifle is done. Not sure if this is true, but he says all he needs is a FFL dealer and they will ship it.. I do not know why he couldnt have called me earlier, but we will see what develops.

Got my rifle today!!

A-Square Hannibal in 577 Tyrannosaur, 25" barrel, express sights, and everything appears in order.

I was a bit worried it was not going to be right, but it was..

So... I am not sure what is going on at A-square, but they arent dead yet.. lets hope things get better there.. I got alot of excuses over the past 3+ years, spent $4,500 and, quite some time later, got my rifle.. so, I was in the same boat as alot of you, and -at this point- dont know what to think.

Took some pics this morning, heres one..

Hannibal on top..

[Linked Image]

Hi,

Don't know about A-Square of Wyoming but met Art Alphin four times at the Shot Show In Vegas and at IWA in Nurnberg (Germany). Was always a gentleman and liked a lot to talk with him. Third time i met him in Germany he gave me(as gift) his very interesting book and gave me a kind dedicace when i showed him the old picture i join here (sorry for bad quality)taken while the full power 577Tyro is in recoil. Not recoil for instance but strong push with lots of muzzle climb. He said he liked the both eyes open on the picture because most of guys he saw shooting his "cannon" were afraid of it and closed eyes.
We spoke of the strange idea the french distributor of that time (1998) had to remove the protection of the barrel and have it like "sand blasted". You see on the picture.

A very controversed man in his country, he was, like JD Jones at the same time, very friendly with the frog i am. And i hope is doing well.
May be the new owners are not so good, i don't know, but all the rifles, original A-square sold here were flawless and his ammo too.
Just a grain of salt from the other side of the pond.
Dom
[Linked Image]
The coating is a ceramic enamel that helps protect the metal; It's called CERAKOTE

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/

Find someone with experience in Cerakote and have it returned to its factory finish!
And the saga continues:

http://www.douglas-budget.com/glenrock/article_423700e2-63c6-11e1-b007-0019bb2963f4.html

Not to be confused with either Shiloh or C Sharps.
Won't work..
I assume you mean the confusion? If so, you are undoubtedly correct.
Redneck you just need to move to Wyoming instead of SD and open up shop in that facility!
Originally Posted by Toolelk
Nope - I meant the link.. No worky..

Redneck you just need to move to Wyoming instead of SD and open up shop in that facility!
Hey, I'll be only 7 miles from WY when I get out there...

Vehicle registration fees there (WY) are nuts.. I'll pass.. Worse than here..

smile
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Toolelk
Nope - I meant the link.. No worky..

Hey, I'll be only 7 miles from WY when I get out there...

Vehicle registration fees there (WY) are nuts.. I'll pass.. Worse than here..

smile

Yeah but very low property taxes. I grew up in SD. My property taxes are a 1/3 of theirs. Sales tax is less too! wink

By the way the link works fine now.
If not on your end here it is....

A-Square defaults on lease�CEO closes doors, proposes new business

Jesse Bishop | Posted: Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:44 am

Despite hopes that Sharps Rifle Company, LLC, and A-Square of Wyoming would be able to find investors to restart Glenrock operations this year, A-Square of Wyoming is no more.

During its regular meeting Feb. 27, the Glenrock Town Council authorized the town attorney to take any legal procedures necessary to terminate the lease agreement with A-Square after accepting their default.

After events surrounding A-Square�s former owner and founder Art Alphin led Sharps CEO Michael Blank to shut down both A-Square of South Dakota and Sharps� main operations in St. Louis, Blank conveyed ownership of all contents in the Glenrock operation to the new CEO Kevin Tierney, and his partner William Martin. After the deal was struck, it was determined that the company as a whole was not fit to even exist.

�There is financial tragedy across the board,� Tierney said. �The State of South Dakota has lost a lot of money, the major financial institution in South Dakota has lost an awful lot of money. The State of Wyoming and the Town of Glenrock believed in a lot of people and invested a lot of money to build this facility. There have been numerous consumers who invested money for guns which were not delivered.�

Tierney asked Town Council for understanding, explaining his decision to completely shut down the company due to the fact that its financial condition was �toxic, if not radioactive.� He proposed a break on lease payments for a replacement company called Sharps Rifle Company, Inc., which he created using the equipment and intellectual property he acquired from Blank.

�If you allow me to work with you with this new company that I intend to form, I�m going to make right by those people and they�re not going to lose a dime,� he said.

Tierney announced his plan to raise $1 million from investors over the next six months in order to begin production in Glenrock of a new product that he proposed will be a �positive game changer in the industry.� With his business plan, he anticipates being able to keep a very viable business in Glenrock in the building that formerly housed A-Square. His plan doesn�t end there, however.

�After we raise our million dollars, we�re going to try to strike gold and go for $5 million of equity,� Tierney said. �With the $5 million of equity, we�re going to try to acquire two, possibly three companies in the firearms industry. We currently have six companies in America that have expressed interest to be acquired by us once we raise the capital.�

Tierney�s proposal to the town was less than sugarcoated, however. He admitted that his company does not have the funds to pay rent on the lease agreement for the building. He proposed that the town give his new company the same lease agreement A-Square had, but defer rent for six months while he raises the needed equity.

�I need six months to try to raise $1 million,� he said. �I can�t pay the rent for six months--March, April, May, June, July and August. I�m requesting that the Town of Glenrock will allow me to consolidate the next six months of rent plus all the back taxes, and the next six months of rent and taxes going forward. I�m proposing to pledge as collateral all of the equipment that�s in that building to the Town of Glenrock. Upon me raising the $1 million, I will immediately repay the note and obligation, and I commit to prepay six months more of rent and taxes so that we can be good corporate citizens in this community going forward.�

Tierney estimated the rent and taxes to be owed to the Town at around $30,000, but said he believes the equipment offered as collateral is worth $100,000.

After going into executive session to discuss Tierney�s proposal, Council referred the matter to legal counsel for due diligence and to draft a possible agreement with Sharps Rifle Company, Inc. Council will consider the matter at its next meeting March 12.

The town�s major concern is the involvement of the Wyoming Business Council, which approved a $1.5 million economic development grant to bring a gun manufacturing company to Glenrock, and to build the 8,500-sq.-ft. facility.

�We got an economic development grant for that building,� Community Development Director Kathy Patceg said. �It was to supply a new business and jobs for our community, so hopefully this can be used for that. The Business Council really went out on a limb to build such a specific building, so we want to try to keep it in the shooting and sports business.�
There is a new facility available in Glenrock and may come with incentives. Great folks and great hunting.
© 24hourcampfire