Home
Posted By: sse Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/27/11
Was gifted a bottle of Makers 46. I love Makers Mark, and this is a nice little variation. The flavors have a lot going on and the smoothness is a surprise, with a higher proof, no less. This is a good choice for those who don't have a taste for a full-bodied, edgier bourbon.
Posted By: byc Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/27/11
I like Makers. I am noticing, however a disturbing trend in whiskies similar to Vodka. Flavored whisky and bourbons to include a fireball/cinnamon. The sin of it all. And WTH is the devils cut?

BTW sse meant to ask if it was you who stole all the margarine over the holidays? Some $60k worth including the truck it was stored in!!!
Posted By: sse Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/27/11
Flavored whisky and bourbons to include a fireball/cinnamon.

That is some of the criticism of Makers 46, too, but I don't think it is overly tricked out. I could change my mind on that, though.

I missed that story about the missing margarine and had nothing whatsover to do with it. However, if I happened by and the truck was unlocked and running, opportunism may have overwhelmed...

I have heard of the 'angels share' when referring to losses of scotch due to evaporation during aging.
Posted By: mathman Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/27/11
This is a good choice for those who don't have a taste for a full-bodied, edgier bourbon.

You probably want to stay away from this one. grin

[Linked Image]
I indulged the delicate palate, but am not one of them...
I have a bottle of that as well but it states 71.5 % ALC and 143.0 proof.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/27/11
Originally Posted by mathman
This is a good choice for those who don't have a taste for a full-bodied, edgier bourbon.

[Linked Image]

Holy crap! With an ABV like that a guy could cut his consumption in half. Kinda like better fuel economy for the regular drinker. wink
They vary batch to batch.
Originally Posted by byc
I have a bottle of that as well but it states 71.5 % ALC and 143.0 proof.

What's it taste like?
I've not opened mine yet. Got it last Christmas.
I'm sticking with Old Fitzgerald 1894 brand, Bulleit, and Bookers.
Originally Posted by byc
I've not opened mine yet. Got it last Christmas.

You better drink that before somebody steals it...
Posted By: Redneck Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/27/11
Originally Posted by bruinruin

[Linked Image]

Holy crap! With an ABV like that a guy could cut his consumption in half. Kinda like better fuel economy for the regular drinker. wink
No biggie.. I usually get Bacardi 151 rum.. It lasts twice as long and cheaper per drink than standard.. Plus, it's used in deserts like Cherries Jubilee and Bananas Foster... Good stuff.

But I digress - just opened a bottle of Jack Daniels 'Single Barrel' - and it was smooooooooooooooooooooooooth and taaaaaaasty. smile
options, options...
Posted By: podunk Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/27/11
Id like to try that Stagg bourbon. Anyone actually drank any?
Yes.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/27/11
A pard gave me a 1.75 L bottle of Bulleit for Christmas and it came with a nice Bulleit glass that holds 2 ice cubes and a perfect amount of Bulleit grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/27/11
Dunno if I'm man enough....
Originally Posted by eh76
A pard gave me a 1.75 L bottle of Bulleit for Christmas and it came with a nice Bulleit glass that holds 2 ice cubes and a perfect amount of Bulleit grin

Doo Dah...Doo Dah.... grin
Originally Posted by byc
I like Makers. I am noticing, however a disturbing trend in whiskies similar to Vodka. Flavored whisky and bourbons to include a fireball/cinnamon. The sin of it all. And WTH is the devils cut?

Bottom of the barrel I believe.
How's Stagg stack up against Rare Breed mathman?
Yup!

Hey mathman have you tried the Kirkland brand (Costco) of their premium small batch Kentucky Bourbon? 51% ALC and 103 proof. Batch number is on the label and the bottle resembles Knob Creek. It's quite good and has complex aromas of caramel, molasses, citrus, and spice with a faint smoky background and long rich finish...(that came off the bottle! smile )

I like it.

The Kirkland Vodka is also quite good.
mathman is being coy and will not talk, therefore, byc will need to break the seal posthaste.
grin

Each batch tastes a bit different BTW.
Originally Posted by byc

Nephew told me they actually figured out a way to squeeze whatever had penetrated the barrels and call it Devils cut.

Keith have you been able to try the Wyoming product yet?
Originally Posted by sse
mathman is being coy and will not talk,

Mention ice and he will surface. Quick. grin
Now ill be forced to track down a bottle to sate my own curiosity..... grin
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Now ill be forced to track down a bottle to sate my own curiosity..... grin

Hard to find and seasonal. Right about now in fact.
Posted By: burner Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/27/11
I really like the Gentleman Jack. Also the Evan Williams is good. I tend to buy small bottles because I don't drink a lot, so a 300ML bottle will last me awhile.
Ordered a 101 and a splash of water at thethe bar last week and the bish brought me a tall glass full of ice with an ounce of bourbon and three or four oz of water.....
If you're going to spend the money I say track down this one:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by sse
mathman is being coy and will not talk,

Mention ice and he will surface. Quick. grin

mathman, i'm going to chop free some loose ice, covered in fuzzy smelly ice crystals, that's been sitting in the back of the freeze for 6 months, which has collected some freezer burn odors and flavors and poor some single malt scotch over it and force feed it to you.
Big talk margarine man. laugh
Posted By: rattler Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/27/11
Originally Posted by byc

BTW sse meant to ask if it was you who stole all the margarine over the holidays? Some $60k worth including the truck it was stored in!!!

not a new trend.....read stuff from as far back as you care and flavored spirits mixed with whiskey and such are commonplace.....
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by byc

Nephew told me they actually figured out a way to squeeze whatever had penetrated the barrels and call it Devils cut.

Keith have you been able to try the Wyoming product yet?

won't be released until late next year. I have the tasting notes for my barrel though.
Posted By: Youper Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/27/11
One can't go wrong with Wild Turkey, but it doesn't seem like a big mover here. On second thought, maybe one can go wrong. blush
I received this as a Christmas gift:

[Linked Image]

If you can find one, break out the gold card and get it. It's really good.

[Linked Image]

You get out your gold card and call Wyoming Whiskey wink oops they are sold out of private barrels too bad...........

[Linked Image]

and it goes well over ice wink
You get out your gold card and call Wyoming Whiskey wink oops they are sold out of private barrels too bad

You won't know what you've got for a few years yet. I hope it's great.
You get out your gold card and call Wyoming Whiskey wink oops they are sold out of private barrels too bad

The first run is to be released next fall wink No doubt it will be great...Master Distiller is Steve Nally.
Three years old?
I correct myself it will be 2013..1st commercial run will be 4 I believe, when they deem it is ready...it is ready. Pretty sure they know what they are doing. Plan to let our barrel age a good while longer.
At four years it could be ready as a basic bourbon.
Gee maybe they should have consulted with you? smirk Somehow I think they know what they are doing...
I'm not running it down. Most of the "regular" bourbon on the market is about four years of age.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/27/11
Stay away from the Jim Beam devils cut, nasty stuff!

I'll keep pouring knob creek, buffalo trace and woodford reserve. That is until I can get my hands on some bookers to try
Gee maybe they should have consulted with you? smirk Somehow I think they know what they are doing...

No they don't because if they did I would be receiving a barrel. wink
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/28/11
I'm a Makers fan. I'll have to give this one a whirl.
Posted By: KCBighorn Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/28/11
Originally Posted by byc
I like Makers. I am noticing, however a disturbing trend in whiskies similar to Vodka. Flavored whisky and bourbons to include a fireball/cinnamon.

I thought the same thing about the cinnamon flavored whiskey.

Then a friend bought me a shot of Fireball, and I reconsidered. If you liked Jolly Rancher Fire Stix as a kid you'll enjoy a shot of fireball grin

Im not giving up on Jack Daniels or Crown Royal, but a little Fireball every now and then is a good thing IMO.
Posted By: Lorin Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/28/11
woodford reserve and elijah craig are still my two favs. I did receive a gift of the brand from costco, and thought it decent. Hate to see Jack Daniels mentioned in a thread specifically about bourbon.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/28/11
Hate to see liquor snobs in any thread about liquor.......
Posted By: sourmash Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/28/11
Nobody here likes Basil Hayden's?
That's a great one on the high end, and for a really good $12 bottle, try Ezra Brooks. Best bargain in the bourbon section.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/28/11
Both are good as is Evan Williams single barrel
My S-I-L gave me a bottle of Basil Hayden's for Christmas and it is really impressive. I have been quite fond of Buffalo Trace and Bulliet, but I think this might just be a bit better. I think I'm finally beginning to like the boy....well, somewhat.
Posted By: sse Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/28/11

Why should anybody believe you? Poser?
Posted By: sse Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/28/11
Originally Posted by Youper
One can't go wrong with Wild Turkey, but it doesn't seem like a big mover here. On second thought, maybe one can go wrong. blush

Love that stuff, both the rye and the bourbon, which I generally drink during turkey season.
Posted By: mathman Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/28/11

Yeah, you caught me. I've never tasted a drop. grin
Posted By: temmi Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/28/11
I'm a Scoth and Irish kinda guy.

But my oldest son likes this stuff.

This is what I keep in the house for him.

Buffalo Trace
Woodford Reserve

Snake
Posted By: ChetAF Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/28/11
Originally Posted by Lorin
woodford reserve and elijah craig are still my two favs. I did receive a gift of the brand from costco, and thought it decent. Hate to see Jack Daniels mentioned in a thread specifically about bourbon.

I agree. In fact, I find the flavor profile of Woodford and Elijah Craig somewhat similar. You can buy EC around here for about $18-$19 a bottle, it is one of the best buys in the bourbon department.

Chet
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/28/11
Originally Posted by sse

mathman, a whisky poser(sic)? Sheesh. Go get somebody to change your diaper, junior.
laugh
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/28/11
Hate to see liquor snobs in any thread about liquor.......

Me too.
Posted By: ChetAF Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/28/11
Originally Posted by burner
I really like the Gentleman Jack. Also the Evan Williams is good. I tend to buy small bottles because I don't drink a lot, so a 300ML bottle will last me awhile.

A 300ML bottle of bourbon will last me a long time too, well, if you consider a weeknight a long time. grin

Chet
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/28/11
Anyone ever try Colorado Straight Bourbon? saw some at the liquor store and was thinking about picking some up
Posted By: Lorin Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/29/11

I agree. In fact, I find the flavor profile of Woodford and Elijah Craig somewhat similar. You can buy EC around here for about $18-$19 a bottle, it is one of the best buys in the bourbon department.

Chet [/quote]

I agree on the woodford..

As to being a snob (if that was aimed here), never had that term thrown in this particular direction. I work hard to maintain my blue collar status. Being familiar with the difference between bourbon, whiskey, and\or scotch hardly makes one a snob, especially when there are current threads cataloging those same terms (bourbon or whiskey).
I would similarly refrain from comparing a stevens or Tikka rifle if someone was asking for a high-end custom.

Enjoy your Jack Daniels.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/29/11
Jack Daniel's is fightin' Whiskey!

I don't like regular JB, but the Black Label Beam is pretty good IMHO.
Posted By: Recon_Jim Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/29/11
well, jack in any form is not bourbon. but some of it can be good. as far as bourbons go, as noted, basil hayden's is good. so is knob creek, also from jim beam. and as much as i agree flavored bourbon is sacriledge, i must admit jim beam's offering, red stag, is pretty good. as is wild turkey american honey.

knob creek's pretty high on my bourbon list, but i find i will try anything once.
Jack Daniel's is Tennessee Whiskey. As is George Dickel. It isn't Bourbon in any shape or form.
woodford or makers
Posted By: _Pete Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/29/11
I must say I quite like Jim Beam Rye (when I can get it here).
Basil Hayden, Knob Creek, Jim Beam, Bulleit. Buffalo Trace has gotten high marks from critics, but I don't care for it.
Posted By: 24mileboy Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/30/11
Sitting here reading this post sipping on some Makers 46 I picked up today. Tastes pretty good, but I also like the regular Mark. Lately have been drinking the Beam Black, tasty!
Posted By: 24mileboy Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/31/11
Sorry I killed the thread! Drinking regular Beam tonite frown
He is one lucky kid. Want to adopt even if I am older that you? I have a Phd in cooking and cleaning crappers.

Originally Posted by temmi
I'm a Scoth and Irish kinda guy.

But my oldest son likes this stuff.

This is what I keep in the house for him.

Buffalo Trace
Woodford Reserve

Snake
*google* Devils Cut. I thought a buddy of my was putting me on until I tried a minny of it and read up on it. Now I am a convert at $24.95, but have always been a Bulleit guy.
Posted By: 24mileboy Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/31/11
OMG two Idahoans on this thread, it is dead now. I have tried the Devil's Cut and it is not too bad!
Posted By: eh76 Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/31/11
Originally Posted by idnative1948
*google* Devils Cut. I thought a buddy of my was putting me on until I tried a minny of it and read up on it. Now I am a convert at $24.95, but have always been a Bulleit guy.

going to have to try it
Posted By: sse Re: Tis the Season...Bourbon - 12/31/11
Sitting here reading this post sipping on some Makers 46 I picked up today.

You didn't kill the thread, right on topic...
© 24hourcampfire