Home
Posted By: GreatWaputi Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/07/12
I'm new to the world of smart phones. Any of you Droid users have favorite Apps you'd care to share? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: NathanL Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/07/12
The only ones I use you probably wouldn't be interested in because they are work/field work related.

There's a scanner one however that's handy. Can listen to fire/ems/police in whatever city you want - just search scanner in the app store it's rated high.
Droid Light, Advanced task killer,Calculator, Navigation, Shooter ballistic soft ware.
Posted By: amax155 Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/07/12
Strelok ballistic calculator is cool. It gives you the hold over with various reticles. The other apps I use are for electrical work.
Posted By: Enrique Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/07/12
RickBin needs to create a 24hourcampfire app
Ubb boards has an app but it's absolute crap and I hope Rick doens't pay the money for it.
Posted By: UncleJesse Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/07/12
Tweetdeck, androsensor, bubblelevel, maps brut - hacked to cache map data for when out of cell range, veetle, timedroid, 3g watchdog
would imagine they have it on droid, but I have it on Iphone

around me

very useful when traveling and even a great aid for local uses, I know how to get there but want to call and it gives map and phone numbers for about anywhere you want to go, just type in the name of the place or there's generic searches, hospitals, restaurants etc.
Posted By: rattler Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/07/12
dont have my phone in front of me at the moment but have a unit conversion app on mine i use alot that covers the majority of conversions most will have to deal with outside of specific field related stuff....

also have a PDF reader and a couple of e-book readers including one to buy books off my wifes Nook account and to read stuff pulled off this site which has some old hunting books on it:

http://www.gutenberg.org/

few games to pass the time....one that allows me to point my phone anywhere in the sky and it identifies any constellations or planets that can be seen(cool way to kill time sitting around a campfire drinking a few beers)....

have a whole bunch of other stuff but use those the most....
I downloaded a flashlight app.
Posted By: kciH Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/07/12
Get the decibel meter, it's instructive as to what muzzle breaks will do to your hearing without protection...if you've not sorted it already.
Posted By: walt501 Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/07/12
My favorite Android app by far is Backcountry Navigator. It costs $9.99 and worth every penny. You don't need cell coverage for it to work. Just download the map data to your phone for an area you want to explore and you'll have around 50 square miles of detailed topo maps in the palm of your hand. It interfaces with the gps system built into your phone to show your exact location on the map. You can also chose from several different topo maps so you can find the one that best suits your needs. For the outdoor recreational enthusiast, it is as good as it gets.

Using Backcountry Navigator on my phone last year allowed me to explore several new area around my cabin in Ontario that I would never have found without it. Small trails and even boat portage information from lake to lake were easy to locate.

Backcountry Navigator is available for download using Android Marketplace on your phone.
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/07/12
Cabela's recon hunting is a pretty cool app if you hunt where there is 3g service. The maps are nice to have at times. Time to hunt and solunar tables are good as well.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/07/12
Originally Posted by kciH
Get the decibel meter, it's instructive as to what muzzle breaks will do to your hearing without protection...if you've not sorted it already.

I have the decibel meter, too. It's fun to play around with and informative, too.

While @ Disney World last year we took in the Indiana Jones stunt show. It was so loud that I decided to turn on the decibel app and was shocked to see the sound spike above 140 db several times throughout the show.
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/07/12
Mr. Number
It allows you to block callers, add callers directly to contacts, create quick answering messages etc.

FREE
Posted By: oulufinn Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/07/12
Hey Tell is a nice alternative to texting. You just speak towards the phone while holding down the talk button on the screen. Great while driving, as texting & driving is not a good plan, ever.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/heytell/com.heytell

Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/07/12
Tunein radio,its like free satelite radio. Great for a slow day on stand.
Posted By: badger Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/07/12
Radar Now.
Point.
Urban Spoon if you travel a lot and want good info on local fare...
Originally Posted by Enrique
Not necessary, since anyone with a Droid can surf the web just like a PC.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Enrique
Not necessary, since anyone with a Droid can surf the web just like a PC.

Yeah but an app does provide for a better browsing experience on a phone with a simplier site and reduced bandwidth needs. However the UBB app sucks donkey balls in it's current state.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/07/12
You guys have R2D2's & C3PO's ????????
Posted By: Steven_CO Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/07/12
We're now the Planet of the Apps
Posted By: T LEE Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/07/12
OH, Star Wars is out now? smile smile smile
Thanks, guys. Keep 'em coming.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/08/12
OHub campfire has Glock talk, Shotgun world, 3D shooter and other forums on it.

Ron
Radar Now and Shooter

Posted By: smithwr Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/08/12
I have the infuse and of came with a HDMI adapter so I can watch movies off my phone on my TV. If you have this an app called Adownloader has free movies ect. Music Paradise app has free mp3 if that's your thing.
Posted By: Barak Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/08/12
If you take business trips, or otherwise have to keep track of receipts or other bits of paper, look at CamScanner.

If all the radios in your phone (you probably have on the order of two dozen, counting both receivers and transmitters) are killing your battery, check out Juice Defender.
Posted By: cal74 Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/08/12
Going to have to take a look at a few of these myself, two that I use quite often are the flashlight one and google star maps.
Posted By: Barak Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/08/12
And if you don't mind spending a little money, download Torque and buy a $25 OBD-II Bluetooth dongle from Amazon.

Plug the dongle into your truck under the dashboard and monitor the sensors in your engine with Torque on your phone.

It'll change the way you drive.
Originally Posted by Barak
And if you don't mind spending a little money, download Torque and buy a $25 OBD-II Bluetooth dongle from Amazon.

Plug the dongle into your truck under the dashboard and monitor the sensors in your engine with Torque on your phone.

How so?
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Barak
How so?

My guess is it helps detect negros in pickups with road rage and guns..
Posted By: MojoHand Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/08/12
Got the usual 'finder/nav' apps I use every so often.

Most used are "Shooter"-fantastic ballistic app. Worth every penny.

Like Rattler I use a unit conversion app quite a bit (more than I ever thought I would). Also like to play with Google Sky at night.

The "Redbox" app is pretty handy if you have them nearby and don't stream DVDs from Netflix.

Also use translator apps, banking apps, scientific calculator, flashlight, Catch notes, Decibel meter, voice recorder, and guitar tuner app fairly frequently.

Interesting note on the Decibel app--I shot my braked .375 H&H and my 6.5-284 with the phone next me and the .375 registered 3dB greater but both were well under 100 dB (can't remember the exact number. I think it was high 80s or low 90s) I thought the difference would be greater as well as the 'baseline' level (yes, I'm aware it's a log scale). Obviously, the SPL would be greater to the side or in front of the muzzle but goes to show brakes aren't really that bad for the shooter when hunting and great for bench rest or practice.
Posted By: shreck Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/08/12
Here's some of the free apps I have; bird song apps, a chess game, cribbage, google earth, Earth NC Lite(NC Navigational maps), Google Sky(must have), a GPS status app, RedLaser(bar code scanner), Scanner radio, skype, turkey call, tune in radio, pandora, tide app, trip advisor to name most.
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/08/12
Favorite I have is an HP 48 calculator emulator.
All my programs work.
As an RP guy, I struggle with algebraic notation on a calculator. Now I don't have to carry a calculator outside my office.
Pandora is pretty cool, too. Plays my Pandora stations, via blue tooth through my Super Duty stereo.
Touchdown keeps my Droid synced with my Outlook (contacts, calender, e-mail, including folders).

I love Audiomanager, as it allows you to adjust the sound settings from one location. It also allows you to save them, so with a push of a button can change the sound settings. I have a setting for Church (all sounds really low, also use for hunting), Night (keeps the ringer volume high, alerts off), and Day, which is all at high.

I also have kids that enjoy Angry birds, so that is a must.

My brother created a program that shrinks DVD's to a small file size, and HD to your phone screen. Uses really small amount of space, but kids can watch movies. Download program at dotheweb.net

joe
Posted By: gnnrsig40 Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/08/12
Shazam, listens to music and identifies it, and " I heart radio"
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/08/12
OK, speaking for the dinosaurs, it's been funny, but you can stop with all of these made-up words and phrases and laughing behind our backs at the stupid looks on our faces when we try to figure out what all the nonsense words mean.
Posted By: walt501 Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/08/12
If you have a Netflix account, download the Netflix app to your phone. Since most hotels have a flat panel TV these days, you can connect your phone to the hotel TV with the right phone to hdmi cable. As an alternative, if your laptop has an hdmi out port, connect your phone to your laptop and then the laptop to the TV hdmi port. This will allow you to watch Netflix movies movies on your own account while away from home. As long as you have at least 3G service where you're staying, this works great.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/08/12
Walt, do you know if I Phone can get something like Backcountry Navigator or Tunein? I am often in areas without service.
Posted By: walt501 Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/08/12
Originally Posted by eyeball
Walt, do you know if I Phone can get something like Backcountry Navigator or Tunein? I am often in areas without service.

So far Backcountry Navigator isn't available for the iPhone, but I did a little checking and you can get the same features with Gaia. It will work on both the iPhone and android phones and allows you to download map data to you phone for times when you don't have cell coverage. You can check it out here -

Click Here
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/08/12
Netcounter - it tracks your cell and wifi useage
Posted By: NathanL Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/08/12
You can get any number of flashlight apps that will make use of your camera flash as a flasghlight. Can be handy but really eats up your battery but beats fumbling around in the dark.
Posted By: CMBS Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/08/12
"Gold Live" from Kitco for gold and silver prices.
"Quote Pro" for stock prices.
"Rainy Days" for weather radar.
"Coyote Hunting Calls" for when you go predator hunting and forget your calls. wink
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Must have Droid Apps?.. - 01/08/12
Originally Posted by gnnrsig40
Shazam, listens to music and identifies it, and " I heart radio"

Might want to check out "Soundhound", it scored better.
© 24hourcampfire