Home
Posted By: Jschonfarber best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
Im planning on building a new hunting rifle, Ive decided to use a 7mm. I will mostly hunt whitetails, and hogs until I move up north and hunt elk. I want a relatively light gun and any sugestions on the rest of the rifle woukd also be appreciated.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
I better go buy more popcorn!!
Posted By: zxc Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
A Sako Finnlight in 7 Rem Mag with a Leupold 3.5 x 10 scope. This combo is as good if not better than anything your going to build in the price range. A very accurate efficient tool it is!
Posted By: Border Doc Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12

I'm throwin' in with Dennis.

(Don't overlook the 7x57.) . . . . smile
Posted By: ShootDogs Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
7mm-08. Winchester Featherweight or Kimber 84M.

Posted By: BrotherBart Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
280 Ackley in any wrapper you want. I'd hunt a moose with mine using a 140TSX and guarantee an exit wound at most any angle.
I dont reload yet so please keep that in mind while suggesting crtridges. But I do plan to start soon.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
Originally Posted by Furprick
A Sako Finnlight in 7 Rem Mag with a Leupold 3.5 x 10 scope. This combo is as good if not better than anything your going to build in the price range. A very accurate efficient tool it is!

7 mag in a light rifle, is it a kicker? The only 7mag I have ever did any shooting with was a Ruger 77 a fairly beefy rifle, and she thumped the shoulder pretty good.
Posted By: StubbleDuck Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
Originally Posted by Jschonfarber
I dont reload yet so please keep that in mind while suggesting crtridges. But I do plan to start soon.

.280 STANDARD and 7mm RemMag are your two best choices in .284 for all around use! Esp since you plan to reload!! wink
Posted By: Sycamore Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
7mm-08 and don't look back, you won't have to.

Sycamore
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
I'm but a noob in comparison with most anyone here, and my input is basically worthless, as it's the only 7 mm I've ever shot wink but my 7 mag has taken pronghorn, black bear, whitetail, javelina, moose and wild boar. I may own other 7mms, but the Big 7 will always have a home in my safe, and until large critters are on the menu (African stuff and brown bear), it's the one I grab when heading off to put lead to flesh.
Posted By: SAcharlie Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
7mmDisElDoIt
Posted By: JD338 Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
280 AI.It will cover everything from mice to moose.
You can shoot factory 280 Remington until you get your loading equipment. You will have fire formed brass ready to go.

You can also buy Nosler 280 AI loaded ammo too.

JD338
Posted By: MadMooner Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
7x57, 280 AI or not, 7-08, 7mag of any flavor, 284, 7 short and fat, 7x64................

It don't matter........they all kill stuff dead.
Find a nice package you enjoy and have fun.
Posted By: Armednfree Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
280 Ackley in any wrapper you want. I'd hunt a moose with mine using a 140TSX and guarantee an exit wound at most any angle.

Bingo if he's a reloader, plain 280 if he ain't
Posted By: BobinNH Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12

BB have you shot many moose at various angles with that load? Just curious about the guaranteed exits...if so that is pretty good.
Originally Posted by BobinNH

BB have you shot many moose at various angles with that load? Just curious about the guaranteed exits...if so that is pretty good.
I shot through three pigs with one shot with that bullet. The smallest was 150lbs. All dropped except the last one. It drug guts about 50 yards. I'll stand behind that caliber and bullet.
Posted By: powdr Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
You need to change your avatar and name to "Bart the Traitor." If you took a perfectly good 7x57Ackley Improved and had it rechambered to 280AI then this is just Mutiny.You are not my friend any longer.You have displayed a level of loonyism far and above those that may be cosidered derranged.Of all the people I thought I could count on to remain steady in the fight for the 7X57AI...I WAS HOPING IT WOULD BE YOU! Please don't write or call as I don't think I could take it emotionally.Please...say it ain't true. powdr
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
dang I have both a 7 mag in a 700 that weight 7.4 lbs, scoped slung and 3 in the belly

along with a 7mm-08 in a Forbes concoction that weight 5.5 lbs. scoped slung and ready to sing.

I really like em both, but if i could only have 1 rifle period and had to choose of those two it'd be the mag

but if I could only have one 7mm but other calibers as well, the '08 would get the nod
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
oh and brudda Bart, I shot a moose this fall with the '08 120 gr. TSX broadside from about 50-60 yards

took two steps and DRT

bullet didn't exit though found it under skin on far side, just FYI
Posted By: keith Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
The std 280 will shoot the 160g Nosler at 2900 fps...if you plan to reload...load of IMR 7828 right out of the Nosler manual.

That being said, the 7 Mag with a load of Retumbo will accuately shoot the 162's at 3100 fps.

I did the 280 AI thing, and ended up shooting about 3g less powder than the 7 mags with the 140's. Since my Rem 700's shoot tiny groups with the 140's, I sold the custom AI to a good friend.

The little 7/08 with 130g Speers and IMR 4895 is hell on wheels with white tails at 2850 fps...about 325 is as far as I have killed deer with this load and they were DRT.

What ever caliber you shoot, practice, know your trajectory, and place your shot, then all the calibers are all good. Never expect a magnum or a magic bullet type to make up for bad shot placement.
Posted By: kciH Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
NULA in .284, get that loading setup on order
That would be the 7mm Weatherby!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
7x57

It's good enough for elephants, all the rest just waste gunpowder.
Posted By: Rooney Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
7mm Wby will do it all and more.
Posted By: Tony Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
I have become quite partial to the 7x57. Not a long term user but I have found, like so many others, it is a very pleasant round to shoot that just gets the job done. I will be using it much more in the future. So, the 7x57 or its clone the 7-08 I suppose.

[Linked Image]

I think the choices boil down more to what type rifle you want, and what velocity levels you hope to achieve, with which bullet weights,rather than any inherent supriority of one round over the other.Obviously there will be some overlap in peformance.

For a whispy mountain weight rifle,of light to moderate recoil,the smaller 7mm's like the 7/08,7x57,284,or 280 fill the bill.

For a rifle of a bit more weight,and for tossing the heaviest 7mm bullets at high velocity,the larger 7mm's take over.

For a general purpose BG rifle to be used on everything, everywhere,to me the standouts would be the 280,280AI,7 Rem Mag,7mmWSM,7 Weatherby,7mm Dakota,STW.In a wildcat,the Mashburn Super.These will vary a little bit here and there.

Everyone will have their favorites.Choosing a "best" is a waste of time.Was anyone concerned we don't have enough choices? smile
Posted By: hotsoup Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
since you asked about the "round", that would be the 7mm rem mag. no other 7mm round comes close here in the states. you won't be sorry as the 7mm rem mag is a "do all" cartridge, like the 30-06.
Posted By: rob p Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
You said Build. Not Buy off the shelf! Correct? I have recommended to others (one just a couple days ago) buying a nice Remington VS (varmint synthetic) in 7mm-08. For $700 you might get a gun that shoots aces right out of the box. If you want to, for another $1,000 to $1200 for action truing, barrel, custom chambering, trigger job, and bedding, you can have a rifle every bit as accurate and pleasant to shoot as a full blown custom off the shelf rifle. Pick a stock you like and work in increments. Every bit of a Remington rifle is workable.

Compare this to buying a base rifle from GA Precision. They have a stellar reputation. You're going to pay $2600 for a rifle built on a Remington 700 action. I think it's a good value compared to what's out there and how much you can spend.

With the Rem, you're going to get a robust rifle with a heavy barrel. I know you said light, and you can get your barrel cut to 20" if you really want to and save some, but I like the guns just as they are. Kenny Jarrett's favorite rifle is his 7mm-08 Ackley Improved in a 20" bbl ranch rifle. If you're not going to handload, the std chambering would be fine.

I like heavy rifles. I practice with a Rem 40X Rangemaster .22 that probably weighs 13 or 14 pounds. My custom .30-.338 I hunted with for 20+ years probably weighs 15 pounds. I bought a Remington titanium mountain rifle in .270 once but couldn't hold it still. I sold it. The last rifle I had built, the Nesika weighs 8 1/2 pounds without a scope and I'm just as comfortable as can be with it. It's a .300 WSM and I put a brake on it a week after I got it. The .30-.338 didn't need one. At 15 pounds, all you get is a shove. I like weight for stability and to soak up recoil because I do a lot of shooting. I don't mind carrying a heavy gun I know is going to make me a better shot.

Remington's have round receivers and any gunsmith can work one. There are myriad of aftermarket stocks, bottom metal, triggers... for Remingtons and as I said, most gunsmiths probably learned on Remington actions. They are the standard. I paid $3500 for a custom Nesika Bay rifle and $3600 for my benchrest gun. I have guns put together on Winchester and Remington actions that shoot every bit as good. No snob factor. Satisfying.

Not too many years ago, my buddy the cop spent $1700 going this route and has a very nice .300 Winchester he put together on a Remington action. The rifle shot sweet. He had the trigger done, the action cleaned up, and dropped it in a Sako style stock he'd wanted a long time and he loves it. Aside from an Armalite for range destruction, it's the only other rifle he owns.

This is off Jarrett's website. It's in his section of pet calibers. I talked to him about the 20" barrel part years ago, and he said it's really all you need. He would know.

"The 7mm-08 Ackley Improved has been very popular with us for many years. Most importantly, it provides high end .280 Remington performance in a short action receiver. Most of our 7mm-08 Imp. rifles have a fairly short barrel, usually no longer than 20�, yet we get an honest 3050 f.p.s. with a 140 gr. bullet, and 3150 feet per second with a 120 gr. The original .308 case has been transformed into many kinds of nice cartridges. I believe that the 7mm-08 Ackley Improved is at the top of the heap. We have tuned several for 160 gr. Nosler Partitions for African hunts and hear nothing but praise for their performance. Bullets striking animals at 100 to 200 yards at 7mm-08 velocities will show perfect performance every time. Perfect for whitetail, it is one wildcat that deserved to be."
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
The good news is, you can't go wrong. For the game species you mention, the 7mm/08, the .280, or the 7mm Rem Mag will do the job for you in spades.

Spec the rifle the way you want it, and you may find that the platform points you toward one cartridge or the other.
Posted By: johnw Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
I'd forego building rifles until i had a decent loading setup...
and for a good list of cartridges you can load decent ammo for an equipment outlay of about $20 if you pick up a lee loader... it's low volume but, for price alone, beats the snot out of shooting factory stuff...

in a 7mm the Remington mag is hard not to like...
Posted By: old06 Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
7mm-08 Winchester Featherweight Leupold 3.5 x 10 x 40 scope 200 rounds of Winchester brass 8 pounds of varget 2000 primers and 500 Nosler 120 or 140 BT and get to know her
Posted By: roundoak Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
I think the choices boil down more to what type rifle you want, and what velocity levels you hope to achieve, with which bullet weights,rather than any inherent supriority of one round over the other.Obviously there will be some overlap in peformance.

For a whispy mountain weight rifle,of light to moderate recoil,the smaller 7mm's like the 7/08,7x57,284,or 280 fill the bill.

For a rifle of a bit more weight,and for tossing the heaviest 7mm bullets at high velocity,the larger 7mm's take over.

For a general purpose BG rifle to be used on everything, everywhere,to me the standouts would be the 280,280AI,7 Rem Mag,7mmWSM,7 Weatherby,7mm Dakota,STW.In a wildcat,the Mashburn Super.These will vary a little bit here and there.

Everyone will have their favorites.Choosing a "best" is a waste of time.Was anyone concerned we don't have enough choices? smile

Bob did not disappoint me in his recommendations. Sentence after sentence I read, then there it was, he inserted the MASHBURN SUPER. The man just can not help himself. grin

7x57 - past, present, and future.
Chuck Norris fears the 7x57.
Posted By: efw Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
Originally Posted by keith

What ever caliber you shoot, practice, know your trajectory, and place your shot, then all the calibers are all good. Never expect a magnum or a magic bullet type to make up for bad shot placement.

No truer words have ever been spoken...
Posted By: MColeman Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
Originally Posted by JD338
280 AI.It will cover everything from mice to moose.
You can shoot factory 280 Remington until you get your loading equipment. You will have fire formed brass ready to go.

You can also buy Nosler 280 AI loaded ammo too.

JD338

The Nosler .280 Ackley won't work in the standard as we know it, .280 Ackley. If you want to use the Nosler ready mades your gunsmith needs to know it and then you cannot safely fireform standard .280 without necking it up to .30 cal and then partially resizing to create a false shoulder.
That's why Chuck isn't afraid of the .280 AI. He can dodge your bullets until you run out.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
if you don't reload 7mm rem mag
Posted By: Armednfree Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
You know, with what building a new rifle costs you might be better off just buying a factory rifle and some good glass. Spend all that extra money on good reloading outfitt and components.

I've wildcatted, and spent some good bit of time with others and their wildcat rifles. Here's what I've come to believe. The round itself is not that much of an improvement. It's just that the guy is a rifle loony and spends that much more time developing loads for that rifle and, more importantly, time on trigger. So it's not the round that really makes a difference, but the man shooting the rifle. The numbers look pretty, but in the field they really don't do much for you.

So, with that in mind I'd say get a good solid rifle. This Ruger Hawkeye M77 in 280 Rem is as solid as it gets, and will do anything on this continent. Put on some good glass in the form of two or more scopes. Put them in Warne Quick release rings and change the scope to fit the hunt.

Hawkeye M77

[Linked Image]

By doing that and using scopes pre-zeroed for different loads I wouldn't be afraid to hunt a Mississippi swamp for hogs one day, and the top of a Montana mountain the next. Simply swapping glass and load to suit.

Posted By: Timberlake Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
Keep it simple. 7X57 and 175 grain bullets. Good for anything on this planet.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
Hold the idea of 'building a rife' until you get a standard one. So called built rifles have little value on the used market and don't always turn out like we want.

A already 'built' factory rifle left somewhat original will retain the most value.

Don't worry about the cartridge or chambering all that much except to select a popular one where you can get ammo today at a local store.

My choice of a 7mm would be a Kimber 84M in 7-08 or a M70 in that chambering. If you must have a magnum the 7mm RM is popular.
Posted By: oulufinn Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
If you mean a real light weight rig, 7-08 in a Rem. 700 would be the perfect balance between recoil & performance. For a bit more weight the new SC Win. Featherweights are very nice, too.

If recoil isn't really a consideration, a 280, or AI version (Longer brass life) gives a bit more juice, but in a light rifle would have a bit more thump to the shooter.

Handloading gives you a lot of advantages regardless of which direction you go.

Originally Posted by Timberlake
Keep it simple. 7X57 and 175 grain bullets. Good for anything on this planet.

Chuck just emailed me and requested (politely I might add) that you desist from further kryptonite like discussions. He has issues with sectional density it seems.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
Now that was funny.
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
Rem 700 CDL 7mm Rem Mag

[Linked Image]mm Rem

Originally Posted by powdr
You need to change your avatar and name to "Bart the Traitor." If you took a perfectly good 7x57Ackley Improved and had it rechambered to 280AI then this is just Mutiny.You are not my friend any longer.You have displayed a level of loonyism far and above those that may be cosidered derranged.Of all the people I thought I could count on to remain steady in the fight for the 7X57AI...I WAS HOPING IT WOULD BE YOU! Please don't write or call as I don't think I could take it emotionally.Please...say it ain't true. powdr

It was a decision that I made based solely on economics. The damned thing didn't feed as well as I wanted it to,and because it's a Springfield and was made for the Ought-6 case,I made a command decision.
Redneck did the work and it shoots like crazy.
I kept all of the brass and am planning on getting back into the 7X57AI club again somewhere down the road. Think of it as a sabbatical... smile
Posted By: zxc Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
Im planning on building a new hunting rifle, Ive decided to use a 7mm. I will mostly hunt whitetails, and hogs until I move up north and hunt elk. I want a relatively light gun and any sugestions on the rest of the rifle woukd also be appreciated.

7Mag in a light rifle with a well designed stock is no more of a kicker than your average '06. if you handload you can mitigate the recoil by loading light for whitetails etc or heavy for elk. When you hunt elk there be other critters that may hunt you. Not a dimes worth of difference between the Weatherby and the Remington 7's, except price at retail.
To own a 280,7x57 or 7-08 I would need another rifle for elk, moose bear. This would be one of the mediums 33,35,36, and 375's either in standard or 2.5" magnum hulls.
The 2 Sako's I have cover the spectrum for 'up north' hunting, 30-06 and 9.3x66. An all rounder and a thumper.
Posted By: Ron_T Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
The 7x57 (aka "7mm Mauser" and ".275 Rigby") is one of the... if not "THE"... oldest, center-fire smokeless powder cartridge still available and is still a popular hunting cartridge for a good reason.

It gets the job done with little fuss 'n muss... and does so with relatively light recoil.

The 7x57 has a slight edge in powder capacity over the 7mm-08 and if loaded to modern standards, will "out run & out-gun" the 7mm-08, but is far under-loaded by most USA ammo manufacturers due to the continuing use of the weaker 1893 and 1895 7mm Mauser rifles in many poorer, 3rd world countries.

While SAAMI has held their suggested chamber pressure recommendations down to a mere 46,000 CUP due to these older, weaker 7mm Mauser actions, many recent reloading manuals are now recommending considerably higher pressure loads up to and including loads that generate up to 50,000 Copper Units of Pressure ("CUP")... the same as the modern .30/06 loads.

However, when offering such loads, most reloading manuals print a "caution" saying that their 7x57 maximum loads should only be used in "modern rifles in good condition". In such rifles, a load generating 50,000 C.U.P. is an acceptable, reasonable load.

While Karamojo Bell killed over 1100 African elephants with his 7x57 rifle, that doesn't make the 7x57 an "elephant rifle"... but the fact that Bell did it shows the killing power of the cartridge in expert hands.

The 7x57 is an excellent caliber for anything that walks in the New World except possibly the "big bears". Certainly, deer, elk, caribou and moose are well within it's capabilities with good bullets and proper bullet placement... and it's relatively light recoil makes shooting it accurate an easy and happy task.

Jus' my 2�... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
Posted By: KDK Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
Until you actually get some reloading under your belt, the only ones that make much sense are the 7mm RM, 7-08, and maybe standard .280. Ammo availability and price rule out the others (much as I like the 7x57 and .284).
Originally Posted by roundoak

Bob did not disappoint me in his recommendations. Sentence after sentence I read, then there it was, he inserted the MASHBURN SUPER. The man just can not help himself. grin

Roundoak: Well, hell....throw me some slack! grin

I mean I've already used and killed stuff with most all of the other one's! I can't help it if it's the best of the whole damn bunch.... whistle grin
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Hold the idea of 'building a rife' until you get a standard one. So called built rifles have little value on the used market and don't always turn out like we want.

A already 'built' factory rifle left somewhat original will retain the most value.

Don't worry about the cartridge or chambering all that much except to select a popular one where you can get ammo today at a local store.

My choice of a 7mm would be a Kimber 84M in 7-08 or a M70 in that chambering. If you must have a magnum the 7mm RM is popular.

+10 Best advice yet. you don't reload and you don't know what you want. How can you intelligently build something in reality without the experience of using something close to have allready built it in your mind as to what it needs to be. You asked. Go buy a syn stocked M700 7mm Mag or 7-08 and put good recoil pad on it and the glass you need. Use it atleast 3 seasons then you won't need to be told what you need. Magnum Man
Posted By: RogueHunter Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
Originally Posted by ShootDogs
7mm-08. Winchester Featherweight or Kimber 84M.

+1. I have a 7-08 Tikka in synthetic/stainless, and it's probably one of the best production rifles made for the money.
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/15/12
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Sycamore

+1 "Mostly whitetails/light-weight rifle/don't reload" -
7mm-08 is hard to beat for that combination.
Posted By: John_G Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/16/12
If you want light then stick with either the 7-08 or the 280.
Posted By: .280Rem Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/16/12
I love the .280Rem. But of late I have a crave for a 7x57. It WILL do it all. I've recounted on other forums here in the past that I know a nice lady that has taken much game with a full stocked Mannlicher 20" 7x57, including Cape Buffalo, Lion, Leopard, Rhino, Alaskan Moose, Black Bear, and many others. A local judge friend of ours told her "there's a little bit of magic in it". What more is needed out of a 7mm?
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/16/12

I don't there's a bad apple in the 7mm barrel. smile

Since you don't reload, I'd go 7-08 or 7 Rem mag. Depending on your recoil tolerance.

Posted By: John_G Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/16/12
Because you don't reload, that eliminates the 7x57,
Because you want light, that eliminates the 7 mag.

Ergo, 7-08 or 280. It's that simple.

This happens time and time again on this site. People write back promoting their favourite round rather than responding to the OP's needs.
Posted By: Docbill Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/16/12
I built a 7.4 lb. 7 MM Mashburn all up. That is about light as I want to shoot.
Posted By: roundoak Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/16/12
Originally Posted by John_G

I would like to hear more about this statement. Plus the OP said: "I dont reload yet so please keep that in mind while suggesting crtridges. But I do plan to start soon."
Posted By: gunner500 Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/16/12
If you cant figure the time and cost of a custom build, i would but a Kimber Montana in 280 AI, outfit it with a set of Talley LW's and a matte 3.5-10 leupold and never look back.

Gunner
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/16/12
Like to hear more about that myself...

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&newcategorydimensionid=9847

Know it's available mail order but 7-08mm ammo is not something I see on a lot of shelves down this way. Ammo availability is a moot argument in my book.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/16/12
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Sycamore

I can't argue with this. Haven't seen anything that it can't do yet!
Posted By: duckster Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/16/12
7mm-08
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/16/12
The 7mm/08 is definitely an over achiever. Great cartridge, easy to load for when you get started with that. The same can be said of the .280 Rem. I like them both. If I could lay my hands on another floorplate model of the old Remington 700 Mountain rifle, I'd take either the 7mm/08 or the .280. The only bears we have around here are black, and from what I hear from people I trust, they don't require any more killing than a deer or elk. What that means is, the 7/08 or the .280 will take care of them with ease.
Posted By: sbhva Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/17/12

I would like to hear more about this statement. Plus the OP said: "I dont reload yet so please keep that in mind while suggesting crtridges. But I do plan to start soon."

Norma factory ammo is loaded hotter than the typical US loads.
Posted By: John_G Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/17/12
Originally Posted by sbhva

Norma factory ammo is loaded hotter than the typical US loads.

'Zactly - and that's why the 7x57 should be eliminated. It's a great round - I've had one and I'm sorry I let it go - but from a practical perspective it's not a good choice for a non-handloader. If you have to search around for relatively obscure ammunition in order to get the same velocities that can be achieved from many common loads of 7-08, it's not a good option.
I appreciate that you, Roundoak, and Dan like the 7x57, but it doesn't fit the OP's needs as well as others.
Posted By: blanket Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/17/12
wow, I am a handloader and have been for about 40 years, have multiple 7mm rifles. 7 mauser, 7-08, 7 mag, and 7 rum. If I had to pick one it would be the 7 mag if I didn't handload.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/17/12
.280 Rem. Improve it if you want.
Posted By: blanket Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/17/12
might as well have a 270 or an 06. In retrospect not bad choices
Originally Posted by blanket
might as well have a 270 or an 06. In retrospect not bad choices

Agreed, the .280 can do what those can do...just much cooler.
Posted By: BrotherBart Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/17/12
.280 Ackley is way cooler...
Posted By: Clay Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/17/12

7mm Mag if you like speed & great ballistics ........ or .280 if want a really great hunting rifle. Either caliber based on a 700 or custom action would be tops.
You know I like AI's, but they ain't for just anybody. smile
Posted By: BrotherBart Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/17/12
Originally Posted by ltppowell
You know I like AI's, but they ain't for just anybody. smile
Too true... I guess telling folks about the ballistics on a .280AI don't quite cut it. They gotta see it for themselves.
I started with a 7 mag many years ago. I went to a 280 after 4 years as I could shoot it much more accurately. I now also have 2 7X57's. One of these old Mexican Mausers may well end up as a 257 Roberts. Though they are a small ring Mauser, they have the '98 3 lug design, so they are strong actions. My vote would go for the 280 or the 7mm with 175 gr bullets "up Nawth".

I do reload, but I get good factory ammo for the 7X57 from the internet sources. The Norma load, while expensive, is worth every cent.

The weight of a rifle can get to be a drag if you hunt like I do. I put in a lot of miles on the ground during a typical day afield.
Posted By: longbarrel Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/19/12
I like the .284 Win; it outperforms the 7-08, mimics the .280 Rem, and works in a short action. In the NULA, you can tailor barrel length and weight. With a 28" barrel, it is kind of long and heavy (relatively) but mimics a 7mm Mag. Those who say it is too long for bayou hunting admit that their partner uses a 12 gauge with 30" full choke and slugs, lol.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/19/12
Yeh, but it only works in a short action if you use wimpy bullets. I think short actions are way overrated. There is nothing wrong with a long action.
Posted By: DaSakoMan Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/19/12
Originally Posted by Tony
I have become quite partial to the 7x57. Not a long term user but I have found, like so many others, it is a very pleasant round to shoot that just gets the job done. I will be using it much more in the future. So, the 7x57 or its clone the 7-08 I suppose.

[Linked Image]

+1 on that.
Gus
Posted By: Shag Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/19/12

[Linked Image]

Awesome pic. Beautiful rifle.
Posted By: Armednfree Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/19/12
Guys, The OP hasn't posted on this thread since the first two pages. I sent him this PM with no response

Just to let you know, CDNN investments has stainless Ruger M77 Hawkeyes on sale for $399.99. They do come in 280 Rem.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/cdnn/CDNN2012-1.pdf

That is what he's talking, can't do much better, especially for the money.
I can't believe no one has brought up the 7STW. I have taken a boat load of critters with them. Loaded with the 160 grain Accubond and it "Death from afar".
Posted By: djs Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/19/12
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I better go buy more popcorn!!

Up to page 9 now; only 20 more to go.
Posted By: djs Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/19/12
If the 7X57mm was OK with D. W. M. Bell for elephants (1,000+) a century ago, it is still a fine caliber (with proper bullets).
Posted By: Hubert Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/19/12
7X57 is the lowest rat on the boat sure you can kill anything with it but it was all that was avaible for a long time. so why not go with the best ever made the 7mm weatherby and you will never need anything else. all the others are lesser cartridges and will never measure up. grin
Posted By: Hubert Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/19/12
Originally Posted by Shag

[Linked Image]

yes it will work but do you gut shoot all your animals? grin
Posted By: 338Rem Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/19/12

I shot through three pigs with one shot with that bullet. The smallest was 150lbs. All dropped except the last one. It drug guts about 50 yards. I'll stand behind that caliber and bullet.

Usually, everything is bigger in Texas, but in this case those Texas mooses go about 300 Lbs all up. grin Steve
Posted By: bluefish Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/19/12
I think your question is a little vague from the start; the best 7mm hunting fund? Perhaps a little more clarity. Short range or mid range or long range?

If short to mid range you could easily use a the 7x57 with a CnC design or an old stalwart the 175 NP or a 175 Hornady RN. If longer ranges there are clearly other rounds mentioned by other members such as the 7mm RM with a more aerodynamic projectile at a higher velocity.

If I hunted primarily small to medium game as you indicated I would give a long look at the 7x57 with a heavy for caliber RN bullet design.
I don't see the 7x57 as a good choice for a non-reloader, or an inexperienced one. @80 with loads from any book is better in that respect. Besides, gettind a 7x57 at a reasonable price is much more difficult. That 280 I showed him, that's the way to go. Good glass and ammo to practice with, get a lot done for about 1200 bucks.

Not that I don't love my 7x57 remington classic. I put that in a Houge stock, deer killing machine.
I don't see the 7x57 as a good choice for a non-reloader, or an inexperienced one. @80 with loads from any book is better in that respect. Besides, gettind a 7x57 at a reasonable price is much more difficult. That 280 I showed him, that's the way to go. Good glass and ammo to practice with, get a lot done for about 1200 bucks.

Not that I don't love my 7x57 Remington classic. I put that in a Houge stock with a flat 3.5-10x 42mm Sightron SII scope, deer killing machine in the eastern hardwoods.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bluefish Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/19/12
Ah yes, the 280. The gentleman's 7mm as they say.
Posted By: Tony Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/19/12
Originally Posted by Hubert
Originally Posted by Shag

[Linked Image]

yes it will work but do you gut shoot all your animals? grin

Not sometimes. laugh

[Linked Image]
7x57 is a true classic great round. It is also the last choice of the 7mm's I'd take if I was not a reloader, or a new reloader. As a hunting rifle I want to be able to get ammo off the shelf, can't do that with 7x57 unless you want low pressure crap or expensive Norma. Nope, 280 is the best choice.
Posted By: Mink Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/19/12

Pick the one that feels best to YOU, and thereby maximizes your chances of putting the pill in the piggy. grin

The rest is just bull-chit!
Posted By: CLB Re: best 7mm hunting round - 01/19/12

I groove on .284 cals..

Will be hard to top a .280 Rem in a handy/dandy set up as an all-arounder...700 action, quality tube, Mcmillan or Medalist stock option...
© 24hourcampfire