Home
Posted By: Jericho Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
I often hear people calling others Boss, and I dont understand
where this is coming from. At your place of employment you
call your supervisor Sir, Ma'am, Jim, Mary, etc. Dont convicts
call prison guards Boss? Any input on this?
Posted By: add Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
Beats "Chief".

Chief of what exactly.... ?

Police, Fire?

The whole Cherokee Nation?
Both Chief and Boss are commonly heard around here.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
I can only answer for myself but I don't call anyone boss...if I did it would only be in condecending manner.
Posted By: hunter1960 Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
Better then "dog" as in, Yo dog, whas'up. smile
Posted By: Odessa Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
Shaking it over here Boss!
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
Originally Posted by Odessa
Shaking it over here Boss!

a classic!...
Posted By: Jericho Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
I have a copy of "Cool Hand Luke" on dvd here somewhere.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
I sometimes call the owner of the company I work for, Captain. He is in fact a captain, USCG certified for vessels under 40 gross tons. The captain part comes from the fact that he owns and operates a trout/salmon charter boat service.
Posted By: TomT Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
I had a 20 something year old co-worker calling me "boss", as in "yes boss", "sure boss". I told him to STOP, as I found it improper. I wasn't his boss, and even if I was, I wouldn't like it anyway. Even after I asked him to stop he still did it occasionally, but I don't think it was intentional, but rather part of his speech pattern. We no longer work together, so it is no longer an issue, but I'm sure wherever he is working he's calling someone "boss". IMHO, it's low class. -TomT
Posted By: hunter1960 Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
In this state your elected District Attorney, who's official position is refered to as District Atty. General, with folks referring to them as only "General" or General (last name).
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
I can't say what they call me....
Posted By: Siskiyous6 Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
I was a prison guard for a couple of decades.

"Boss" is inmate talk for [bleep]. (A, hole)

When an inmate called me boss, I always stopped what I was doing, stared them down with a look of pure hatred, and said, "O no, your the boss."

I wasn't called boss very often, but they were right about it, when it came to dealing with those scum I was a pure [bleep]. which is still better than they deserve.
Posted By: RWE Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
I got called chief all the time.

But its a surveyor lingo thing re: "party chief".

Gets carried over to the construction sites quite a bit. Along with boss.

I'm OK with it.
Posted By: WyoCowboy Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
to iritate my old "boss" I would call him anything that sounded commanding. Admeral, Chief, Master, Duke, ; we got a long very well it it was always a game and always with respect but it was fun to get him to say "What the F&*^ is wrong with you"
I worked in a place in Washington D.C. once where the building engineer wanted to be called "Chief." Seemed kinda funny to me. He talked about being in the Black Panthers back in the '60s.

Steve.
Posted By: okok Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
"What's up my Man" crazy
Posted By: okok Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
"Hey Guy" laugh
Posted By: widrahthaar Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
Smartassery is how I usually see it used.

I call a lot of people Boss. But to me, I mean it as in more of the trend of Sir, than degrading or disrespectful.
Posted By: DaddyRat Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
Prison term: Boss= Stupid Son of B***h, backwards.
Posted By: c86man3 Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
Not to be confused with "...like a boss."

Example:

"He told that guy off like a boss."

Meaning: to do something really well.
Posted By: Okie_gunner Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
i've never heard anyone call someone "boss" without it being condescending. Like calling someone chief, slick, pal, tough guy.

I have also heard boss used where I work, and it always came through in their way of saying it that they were trying to show that they were really in charge, not the boss.
Must be a regional thing...

People use Boss, Chief here all the time. Nobody thinks anything of it.

Like when you see somebody at the gas station and you can't remember their name, but they remember yours. A simple "Hey Chief,..how's it going" will get you out of trouble until you can remember who they are.

Think Bugs Bunny, "What's Up Doc?" He was never talking to a Doc, just another term for "dude".
Posted By: T LEE Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
Used the term Boss for the boss for years, even the Sheriff was boss, nothing demeaning just recognition he was the Boss.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
I've got friends that call me boss to this day. I was their supervisor 10-15 years ago.

Dont mean nothing!
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
I have had a bunch of people that I worked with use the term "Boss" to me. Mostly when they wanted me to make a decision that they weren't comfortable with and knew I was going to catch the grief anyway, if there was a screw up. I never thought anything about it. Course if they thought I was doing something stupid they would just tell me. It worked pretty well that way.

I guess when I have heard "Boss" or "Chief" used it was just an acknowledgement that the other person had more authority to make a decision. Course I've never worked in a prison either. My guess would be that a lot depends on what kind of environment you work in.
In the Army we had section chiefs, all NCO�s, and they were always addressed as �Chief�. I don�t think I ever heard one addressed as Sergeant so and so, even the battalion commander would call them Chief.

When my father, who was self employed, wanted to defer a decision he would always say he had to ask the Boss, i.e. my mom.
Posted By: shreck Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
I work on the water, calling someone "captain" or as it's pronounces cap-N is common.
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
Boss... Chief... meh. JV level annoyance.

"Dude" I'm less fond of.

"Guy", in the right setting, could provoke some anger.

Close to the worst, imo, is Bro.

By far and away the worst... "bra" instead of "bro". 100% correlation between saying "Bra" and being an A hole in my neck of the woods.

Posted By: 17ACKLEYBEE Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
If you can't deal with the heat stay out of the kitchen.
Posted By: poboy Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
I always tell my wife she's the boss.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Boss... Chief... meh. JV level annoyance.

"Dude" I'm less fond of.

"Guy", in the right setting, could provoke some anger.

Close to the worst, imo, is Bro.

By far and away the worst... "bra" instead of "bro". 100% correlation between saying "Bra" and being an A hole in my neck of the woods.

Add "kid" to that list from those younger or just older....

"Hey, kid, how's it going."

George
Posted By: rifle Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
Doing that in the South means..
you have been,will be or preparing to be on the "Chain gang",
often used to clean the roadside during the summer months...
Posted By: 257wby Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
Pal, Buddy, Friend, Boss, Captain....it's all people who recognize your face but can't remember your name. I don't like being called Pal or buddy. Call me Jeff or don't say anything at all.
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
Originally Posted by T LEE
Used the term Boss for the boss for years, even the Sheriff was boss, nothing demeaning just recognition he was the Boss.

me too, even for those who are not the "boss" but may be able to help you out....I find the term particularly effective for service people that help me.....as a sign of respect I sometimes call them "boss".....have never had one respond negatively....
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
The Boss may not always be right--but he's always the boss!

Thats a really simple concept that many people have a problem with.
Posted By: Gray_Rider Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
One of the kids that works for me calls me "Boss", not in a disrespectful way, beats the informality of calling me by my first name and doesn't sound as regimented as "Sir" or Mr. Edwards
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
I can only answer for myself but I don't call anyone boss...if I did it would only be in condecending manner.
Exactly, and that's the intention. If someone calls you boss, it's meant to be condescending.
Posted By: victoro Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
My son refers to his wife as "upper management".
Posted By: CCCC Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
"Self"
?
Posted By: bobelk99 Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
Originally Posted by victoro
My son refers to his wife as "upper management".

My wife: I tell others (truthfully) 'she's the boss'.
I had a supervisor many years ago that we called the "Senior
Drill Instructor" but not to her face.
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/20/12
Anyone who gets offended just by being called boss truly needs to grow a spine.
Most of the bosses that I have had are just that a BOSS......Big Ol' Stupid Schit !!!
Posted By: Jericho Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/21/12
Oh no, not offended, just curious of why people call other
people boss.
Posted By: GotAmmo Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/21/12
I am a Project Manager on a site in VA right now with a few hundred Latino workers mostly, they all call me "boss" for them its simply a respect thing. Some I have asked not to call me "boss" just call me Bill. Now those guys call me Mr. Bill
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/21/12
had a guy who use to work with me that would call me boss, really annoying, he also claimed to be a taekwondo expert. long story short i knocked his ass out one day, after that he only called me by my name.

Posted By: remfak Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/21/12
I've always hated that for two reasons:

1. I don't like being referred to as that. I'm human just like they are, I just have different pay and title. So what!

2. Most people I know that call their supervisor "boss" are weak and/or insecure.
Posted By: kstwind Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/21/12
In 1985 I had a boss with the last name Bates. Most of my co-workers called him Master Bates.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/21/12
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Exactly, and that's the intention. If someone calls you boss, it's meant to be condescending.

Not when I do it, from me it is a form of respect. And trust me, I can be condescending if I so chose.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/21/12
If you'd grown up in the South 60 years ago....you'd understand about 'Boss Man' or Cap'n!
Posted By: T LEE Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/21/12
I am fully aware of the old connotations. I am old enough to remember chain gangs and white only fountains & toilets at the courthouse & elsewhere. Also could usually spot of con just out of the pen or a repeat offender by his calling anybody in uniform Boss or Cap'n.

Not how I use it and knew lots of working men that called the boss or owner "boss" out of respect in the north.
Posted By: Woodsmaster Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/21/12
I worked for a woman a long time ago and she told me to call her Ma'am. I quit after a week, just like the long line of employees before me.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/21/12
Originally Posted by add
Beats "Chief".

Chief of what exactly.... ?

Police, Fire?

The whole Cherokee Nation?

Not if you are a Chief Petty Officer in the world's largest non-nuclear Coast Guard.
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/21/12
In the Vol fire dept we use boss at times refering to officers in our dept....or to a senior member who might be a "Boss" in a paid dept in NYC....No desrespect meant..none taken.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

NOT So in many cases.

I have been working as a foreman of a crew of 25 since 1985.

Some of the most sincere and most polite farm boys you have ever met have come through my crew. Some have a hard time calling anyone in authority by his first name, and I won't stand for Mister. (After all, I work for a living too.)

So some will use "Boss" as a compromise. And mean it in a respectful manner.

Also, I still see the effects from the plantation days on a few of our truck drivers. Those of extraordinary dark complexion and roots in South Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama will often refer to the white Dock Foreman as "Boss". But they do not address his Mexican counter part as such.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/21/12
Intent is at question, not the word.

As my dad said 'Your mother could walk into a room full of people and say [bleep] you and they would all want to kill her but I could walk into the same room and say [bleep] you and everyone would laugh'

Posted By: stray round Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/21/12
"Smile when you call me that."

I'd rather be called SOB than chief, boss, or dude. I was taught to call someone by their rank, sir or ma'am.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/21/12
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
Originally Posted by T LEE

me too, even for those who are not the "boss" but may be able to help you out....I find the term particularly effective for service people that help me.....as a sign of respect I sometimes call them "boss".....have never had one respond negatively....

bingo

wow never meant any disrespect towards anyone when using that term! gonna have to rethink it, sounds like it's offensive to some depending upon vocation or region.

you'll know if I mean disrespect it's another word that starts with a b and rhymes with rich!
Posted By: Violator22 Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/21/12
I just say "Okay jackass!" My boss and I get along great. grin
Posted By: Outcast Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/21/12
Always hated the term 'Boss'. I had eight people under my supervision and never once used the term. My number two called me that and I always played it down. Much prefered the team approach.

A citizen who was irate with me once asked for the name of my superior. I told him I'd never met the man who was my superior but he could have the number of the guy above me in the chain of command. He remained pissed.

O
Posted By: smarquez Re: Calling someone "Boss" - 02/21/12
I used Boss for people I really respected and they new it. I get called Boss once in a while, I know what they mean by it. I am actually a card carrying certified "Engine Boss". While I was in construction the new guys referred to foremen and leads as boss until it was determined that they would stick around a while. It was kinda part of earning your place. After that it went to first name basis.
© 24hourcampfire