Home
Posted By: mikeymjr23 Lent - 02/21/12
Who gives something up and what do you generally give up?

I'm going with snacks and fried foods. They are my weakness.

It will be a true challenge for me to do this. I know that it does not seem to be the sacrifice that others might go through, but they truly are my down fall.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Lent - 02/21/12
I dont smoke nor drink..........my Lent is year round like it should be. wink
Posted By: boatboy Re: Lent - 02/21/12
Thanks for the post I need to spend some time really looking at that. I believe its an important thing to day for sure

HAnk
Posted By: T LEE Re: Lent - 02/21/12
Chocolate, and man do I love my chocolate, candy, milk, cake & frosting, hot fudge sundaes, chocolate covered raisins, chocolate covered grahams, pretzels, almonds, peanuts .............. did I mention I LOVE chocolate!
Posted By: bobelk99 Re: Lent - 02/21/12
Or at least in your opinion.
Posted By: mikeymjr23 Re: Lent - 02/21/12
Chocolate is pretty darn good, T LEE!
Posted By: Winnie Re: Lent - 02/21/12
Soda.

I rarely drink it regardless but it is sometimes a temptation.

Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: Lent - 02/21/12
Elephant ear sandwiches. I run out of them big buns that you serve them on anyway.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Lent - 02/21/12
I give up lent for lent. I've been perfect for the last 40 years.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Lent - 02/21/12
I'm giving up Chocolate and calling Tom264 a douche bag, cuckold.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Lent - 02/21/12
[Linked Image]
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Lent - 02/21/12
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm giving up Chocolate and calling Tom264 a douche bag, cuckold.

Double dog dare you on the Tom264 thing. grin
No guarantees, as I'm likely as good a 'Christian' as Dickcheese264 is.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Lent - 02/21/12
Chocolate is enough.
I didn't call him a cuckold douche bag though...
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Lent - 02/21/12
Chocolate.....maybe.

Is that ALL you have is to take shots at me EVERY chance you get????

For real.....?

Why dont you grow up and act like a MAN instead of a whiney little school girl?

....and.....this pic is for YOU!!!

[Linked Image]
And I once again extend the opportunity for you to say that to my face ANY time you want......

Like I said........you WILL be eating your teeth....

I PROMISE
Posted By: okok Re: Lent - 02/21/12
I make sure to clean the filter after each drying. smile
Pretty big words for a cuckold that calls out others at the drop of a hat.

Tell you what, shove Jesus Christ right up your cunny. Tell the wife hey also whilst at it.
You willing to say that to my face???
Originally Posted by Tom264
And I once again extend the opportunity for you to say that to my face ANY time you want......

Like I said........you WILL be eating your teeth....

I PROMISE

Yea, yea. Seeing how you can [bleep] on others because you are pissed that the old lady is doing another dong, that's fairly skeery.
Originally Posted by T LEE
Chocolate, and man do I love my chocolate, candy, milk, cake & frosting, hot fudge sundaes, chocolate covered raisins, chocolate covered grahams, pretzels, almonds, peanuts .............. did I mention I LOVE chocolate!

Do you like chocolate? :>)
Like I said before that was NOT the case....she was jealous of ME

But once again your too stupid to know the facts.....only what you surmise.

That's called projecting, though I'm sure you enjoy the salty kisses.
Posted By: Swampman1 Re: Lent - 02/21/12
For lent, I'm going to not have sex with Sandra Bullock or Nichole Kidman.
Tell you what Steelhead....

Remember the past "Apologies" you made to me????

Take them and shove em where the sun dont shine.....or better yet....I'd be happy to do it for ya.
Blah, blah, blah, another silly cunny heard from. Why the [bleep] don't you just stay gone. Oh, that's right, you are a typical 'Piece of [bleep] Christian'

Want my phone # to "talk" your issues over?
Can I call the wife's cell?
I just googled cuckold. eek
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Can I call the wife's cell?
Nope....you call mine....WE talk.

Maybe WE can meet somewhere and you being the big brave man behind the computer can/will say that to my face...

I doubt you would.
I'm not into that kinky [bleep]. Suggest you get with DerbyDude. I'm sure he will be happy to let you run video with the old lady.
Posted By: Joshua_M_Smith Re: Lent - 02/21/12
Well, this went downhill in a hurry.

What's up with the Christian bashing?

I mean, it's a free country, or it's supposed to be, but is there a reason you say that?

Josh
NO its because you are not man enough to face me.....

What a piece of chicken crap.
Originally Posted by Tom264
NO its because you are not man enough to face me.....

What a piece of chicken crap.

Told ya to stop typing in front of the mirror. I'd like to go bring up all the old threads with you being cunny hurt, pissing on others, and saying you were gone, but I'm not that interested.

Do it!!!!! dont bother me....

As a matter of fact incase anybody cares.....

What started this between us was a back when you made the statement something like this...."If Jesus came back today we would give him the electric chair"....I told you in public I was offended you would say that.....you blew up and I in turn PM'd you and apologized for calling you out in public but apparently it dont go both ways...

You NEVER apologized back about that but I dont care......
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Lent - 02/22/12
No, dickcheese, the comment was "If Christ returned we would kill him again"

The fact that you are too obtuse to understand that surprises me known. It has/had NOTHING to do with Christ and everything to do with the NATURE of man.

Hell, even a few Baptists understood that.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Lent - 02/22/12
Once again....I'm too "Obtuse".....another LIE!
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Lent - 02/22/12
Whatever you say Christian.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Lent - 02/22/12
Is that your best comeback???

Laffin'
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Lent - 02/22/12

Friends,

I'm leading a Lenten group in our parish this year. This is something I've never done before and I was quite surprised when I was chosen.

This morning was our first of six meetings. Each meeting on our Lenten Journey is scheduled to last from ninety minutes to two hours and we're using a fabulous booklet that is entitled, The Living Eucharist.

I was really dreading this first meeting. As it turned out, the entire group, which is about half of our Parish Bible Study really got into the program and we had a blast. In truth, I was amazed that it went so well.

Most of my life has been devoted to studying Scripture, the Gospels, the wonderful Catholic Church and the Church Fathers ... and most of our first part of our Lenten Journey was smack dab in the middle of that.

Anyway, our group just loved the first meeting and I'm actually looking forward to the next five. Each of the meetings will involve about twenty or thirty hours of preparation on my part, but that's half of the enjoyment.

Ash Wednesday Vigil Mass will be tomorrow evening, so between now and then I have to figure out what I'll give up for Lent.

God Bless,

Steve

Posted By: T LEE Re: Lent - 02/22/12
Originally Posted by okok

Do you like chocolate? :>)

No Sir, I LOVE IT!

My name is Terry and I am a chocaholic! smile smile
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Lent - 02/22/12
I'm giving up lent. Everytime I have lent something to somebody, I have to go out and buy a new one.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Lent - 02/22/12
I won't listen to Rush Limbauch for a week.
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: Lent - 02/22/12

I want some chocolate.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Lent - 02/22/12
I gave up Copenhagen for Lent--------1991. Still haven't gone back - 1 - 2 cans a day, I figure I've saved well over 30,000 dollars! + interest!
Mark
Posted By: Calvin Re: Lent - 02/22/12
Dang, I better get busy on figuring what I'm giving up for Lent.

I did have some good pancakes today tho!
Posted By: rob p Re: Lent - 02/22/12
It starts today. We do the traditional - no meat today and every Friday. That's it. When I was a kid, I volunteered in a soup kitchen for lent every year but they're gone.
Posted By: Sako Re: Lent - 02/22/12
I am giving up soda this year.... gonna be a hard one for me but it is one I need to do.... plus it is something I have everyday.... thus when I think of wanting one, it will turn my attention to God... which is the whole idea anyway.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Lent - 02/22/12
I think I'll give up coming to the Hunters Campfire Forum after yesterday....
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Lent - 02/22/12
Never really observed it or even knew what it was. Then the last handful of girl friends I've had were all Catholic and observed it so I went along with the program. Basically the way it is/was observed was no meat on Friday, just fish which suited me just fine because we always have enough salmon to last a year even serving it up a couple times a week. I've still got a few cases of kippered red salmon from 2010 yet.

Then one day I came upon a theory that Jesus and the Pope probably never had red salmon or beer battered halibut. Otherwise it wouldn't be looked upon as a sacrifice and wouldn't be approved for Lent.
Posted By: sse Re: Lent - 02/22/12
T, send all your chocolate to BOBBALEE...!!!

I'm not giving up chocolate for Lent. In fact, I usually eat more chocolate during Lent than any other time. I love solid chocolate bunnies from the local confectioner. Nor am I giving up the following:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Lent - 02/22/12
Years ago, I gave up anal sex for lent.

It wore my kness and elbows raw.

Still not gone back.
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: Lent - 02/23/12
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
Years ago, I gave up anal sex for lent.

It wore my kness and elbows raw.

Still not gone back.

ROTFLMAO. Thanks for sharing that. laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: T LEE Re: Lent - 02/23/12
Have no fear, the Peeps and jelly beans are fair game and I will freely indulge!
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Lent - 02/23/12
My Mother still loves peeps. I always take her a package when I go by to visit this time of year.
Yep, my daughter loves me, always a package or two from her this time of the year. Oh and god old fashioned jelly beans, none of that gourmet crap.
I have a confession to make. I like to buy the bags of all black jelly beans.
A brother from another mother!

You might not know Scotch but you do know JB's! smile smile smile
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: Lent - 02/23/12

Those little chocolate covered mint patties are hard to beat.
A brother from another mother!

You might not know Scotch but you do know JB's! smile smile smile

I am a black jelly bean man from way back! Glad to know I am not alone.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Lent - 02/23/12

The beginning of Lent is Ash Wednesday.

Karen and I just got home from our Ash Wednesday Vigil Mass at our parish, Christ the King Catholic Church, near Milwaukie, Oregon.

Please bear in mind that Christ the King is simply a tiny, tiny little neighborhood Catholic church. A wonderful refuge for we believers, but little in the scheme of things.

Christ the King is very SPECIAL to Karen and me. The folks are our family, our Brothers and Sisters in Christ and they have supported us during the tough times .... they were SO THERE when Karen had her stroke and we love each and every one of them.

This evenings Ash Wednesday Vigil Mass was unreal.

We are tiny, but have room for about 800 worshippers in our pews.

This evening, every pew was full and there were folks lined up against every wall and there were perhaps another 150 folks in the vestibule and a few standing outside. I believe that somewhere between 1,100 and 1,200 folks were at Christ the King this evening, celebrating the wonderful Ash WednesdayVigil Mass.

It was so wonderful.

The readings of the Mass are the same worldwide, so if you attended Mass today, you heard them ... and they were SUPER. The hymns wre fantastic. And Father Dave's Homily was really GREAT

I always read Saint Thomas Aquinas' Thanksgiving Before Receiving the Eucharist. This is such a GREAT preparation before receiving The Lamb upon my tongue and the Precious blood of Our Saviour. And, of course, I again read Saint Thomas' Thanksgiving After Receiving The Eucharist after receiving.

Karen does the same. And our wonderful friends, Kathy and Mike, were with us this evening. Karen was overwhelmed with emotion at receiving The Lamb, as was I.

If this Ash Wednesday is any indicator, our Catholic Lent is off to a GREAT START. A full house of the devout .... how much greater does it get??? (Hint: It's GREAT!!)

I'm busy studying for my next presentation to my group of Lenten Studies. Last week's presentation went really, really well. Hopefully, I can keep that rolling. It really helps to have done a bunch of pilgrimages to Rome, Assisi and the Holy Land ... I can give my little group of pilgrims a personal tour of those special places that were especially touched by Our Lord.

May God Bless All of You and Lead You Along Your OWN Very Special Lenten Journey.

Your Brother In Christ ... Steve

Friend Steve, it might gladden your heart a bit to know that even the 0700 Mass at Sacred Heart in Punta Gorda was a full of people Mass and we have seating for 1200! Not sure about the other ones (we did the 4 Mass Sunday schedule) but the first Mass turn out was impressive.

It was a GREAT way to start the day and the Lenten Season.
Posted By: GeauxLSU Re: Lent - 02/23/12
Ours was standing room only as well Steve and and always a great humble reminder....
Peace.
Posted By: arkypete Re: Lent - 02/23/12
I give up okra and eggplant every year.

Jim
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Lent - 02/23/12
brussel sprouts.

I make it easy to keep.
Being raised Baptist and in an area of very few Catholics, I had no idea what Lent was, until I was in High School. I was friends with a young lady from another part of Kentucky, where there was a very large Catholic demographic, and in fact, she was Catholic. I went to visit her during Lent, and got my crash course in it.

It isn't my way of worshipping, but I can appreciate devotion in more forms than one.

I hope that each of the members of the campfire who participate in the Lenten Season are blessed by their experience.
How refreshing.... and from a Bama fan no less. wink
Posted By: sse Re: Lent - 02/23/12
Good crowd at he 7:00 o'clock last night. I'm not really gonna binge on candy during Lent, just kidding about that, but I do love the Easter season and all the good things it brings.

BTW, it's nearly impossible to find plain old jelly beans anymore. Bummer.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Lent - 02/23/12

Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
How refreshing.... and from a Bama fan no less. wink

Absolutely!!! Thank you, Crimson Tide for that wonderful and civil contribution. You're a good guy in my book.

Interestingly, I live very close to a Presbyterian church and a Lutheran church. Both of these local congregations had Ash Wednesday services. Historically, both congregations also particpate in Lent by having Soup Suppers every Friday evening.

Stations of the Cross is always a wonderful tradition at every Catholic Parish. This year, we will have my friend Donna Cori Gibson presenting the first Stations of the Cross at our parish, Christ the King

http://www.youtube.com/user/donnacorigibson#p/u.

Here's something I truly cherish; BOTH of our local Presbyterian and Lutheran communities will be doing Stations of the Cross this year.

Good for them .... we are so much stronger when we are together. And an appreciation of each other's worship can only make our own much stronger.

God Bless You All,

Steve

Posted By: Ready Re: Lent - 02/23/12
I declare to give up on the Tom264/Steelhead chainjank -

I henceforth put the

Man with the Indiana Stupid Law defying Rifle

and the

Father of the most bestest coast cuttingest Coast Guard Cutter

to ignore.

I pledge to break this lent as soon as I get notice by all you other good folk, that these two have stopped their sillyness.

I do mean to keep my lent on starchy stuff, white sugar & pipe tobacco.

Posted By: HugAJackass Re: Lent - 02/23/12
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Being raised Baptist and in an area of very few Catholics, I had no idea what Lent was, until I was in High School. I was friends with a young lady from another part of Kentucky, where there was a very large Catholic demographic, and in fact, she was Catholic. I went to visit her during Lent, and got my crash course in it.

It isn't my way of worshipping, but I can appreciate devotion in more forms than one.

I hope that each of the members of the campfire who participate in the Lenten Season are blessed by their experience.

Well said! As a son of a Baptist Pastor, a Bible College Student, and husband to a Catholic lady, I couldn't agree more!
Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: Lent - 02/23/12
Not my way of worship either. But to all who find comfort, peace and fulfillment in the observation of the lenten season I wish you well. I am glad for you that you rejoice in your cherished tradition.
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Well said! As a son of a Baptist Pastor, a Bible College Student, and husband to a Catholic lady, I couldn't agree more!
I'll say it again.... bless her heart! She's a saint! grin
THANK YOU CT, my sister is hard core Southern Baptist and after have many conversation with her she was amazed at all the common ground we have!
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Lent - 02/23/12
I wish my Catholic friends well with their path.

I get out of it by believing Christ who went before us was the perfect sacrifice He shares Himself with us, therefore canceling our need to duplicate sacrifice.
He also said He came that we may have life in abundance, which does not sound to my ears that He said we need to sacrifice.

To each his own good luck with your quest.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Lent - 02/23/12
Terry,

I think we all have more in common than we think. It is the slight differences that cause us so much heartache, but NONE of it matters to GOD!

I, too, am not Roman Catholic, but wish the very best, and most Blessed Lenten season on my brothers and sisters who do follow it.

Ed
Posted By: flagstaff Re: Lent - 02/24/12
I usually have a good beer or two each night. That is what I am giving up this Lent. Going to save the money saved on buying the beer and give it to the poor. Seriously.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Lent - 02/24/12
THANK YOU CT, my sister is hard core Southern Baptist and after have many conversation with her she was amazed at all the common ground we have!

You are welcome, brother.
Posted By: sse Re: Lent - 02/24/12
Originally Posted by flagstaff
I usually have a good beer or two each night. That is what I am giving up this Lent. Going to save the money saved on buying the beer and give it to the poor. Seriously.

Outstanding...self-denial, almsgiving wrapped into one.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Lent - 02/24/12
Table salt. This could be the hardest thing I ever gave up for lent...
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Lent - 02/24/12
Ours was standing room only as well Steve and and always a great humble reminder....
Peace.

I couldn't make it. Pretty sure folks wouldnt like it if a uniformed cop sat through Mass on their dime. I was at least hoping for an ash and dash.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Lent - 02/24/12
I lent my chainsaw to a neighbor.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Lent - 02/24/12
As it should be Sir.
Posted By: sse Re: Lent - 02/24/12
I was at least hoping for an ash and dash.

LOL
Posted By: 340boy Re: Lent - 02/24/12
Originally Posted by sse
I was at least hoping for an ash and dash.

LOL

That is good.
(I didn't get to 'ash and dash' either)
cry
Posted By: GeauxLSU Re: Lent - 02/24/12
Originally Posted by Mac84
Peace.

I couldn't make it. Pretty sure folks wouldnt like it if a uniformed cop sat through Mass on their dime. I was at least hoping for an ash and dash.
I would have LOVED you at ours. Especially if you'd have helped direct traffic after it was over! smile
Not sure I've heard of 'ash and dash', but you know the weekly bulletin is your 'receipt' for having attended mass. grin
Posted By: T LEE Re: Lent - 02/24/12
SURE IS. smile smile smile smile smile
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Lent - 02/25/12

Karen and I just got home from the Donna Cori Gibson Stations of the Cross Concert at Christ the King.

We arrived at 4:30 PM and helped set up. By 5:00PM, our parking lot was totally full and the devout were parking on the street and in the school lot next door.

Promptly at 6:00PM, the concert started. Many of our Catholic Community, plus folks from St John's and Holy Family and many of our local nuns were there. I did lots and lots of hugging this evening and it was fabulous.

Karen and I passed out programmes until we ran out. The entire church was full to overflowing. Probably 1,000 folks, maybe more.

This was our friend Donna's premier performance of her new Stations of the Cross and it was unreal-fabulous-GREAT.

This will give you a small sample of what her Stations of the Cross Concert is like:

http://www.youtube.com/user/donnacorigibson#p/u

Tired now and enjoying a bit of Mike's Harder Blueberry Lemonaid. grin

God Bless and Have a Blessed Lent,

Your Brother In Christ Steve

© 24hourcampfire