Home
Posted By: Rancho_Loco John Deere 185 Hydro? - 03/19/12
Talkin' to a guy who's selling a 185 hydro. Says the trans puked, but great shape overall.

I see these things going for some good $$, even though they're 20+ yr. old machines. I also see i can get a used hydro trans for a couple hundred bucks off flea bay.

I can probably chisel the guy down to $200 for the mower, so I'm lookin' at $400 possibly into it to get mowing.

Yea or nay? I'll be mowing about 1.5 acres.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: John Deere 185 Hydro? - 03/19/12
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Yea or nay? I'll be mowing about 1.5 acres.

Buy your kids a push mower....grin
Posted By: Sako Re: John Deere 185 Hydro? - 03/19/12
hard call... as long as that is all it will take to fix it, I would jump on it...

I have a J.D. GT242 that I have had since 1996... It still runs like a top and the only thing I have ever done on it is regular maintenance and I had to replace 1 tire.... other than that, nothing else.... pretty good for that long. that mower is a lot of the reason that when i bought a big tractor, I went with John Deere...
Posted By: sagerat22 Re: John Deere 185 Hydro? - 03/19/12
I have that exact tractor which gets used continuously to mow 4 large lawns. It's a great little machine and if you get the transmission fixed you'll love it.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: John Deere 185 Hydro? - 03/20/12
Well, the trans is [bleep], and the motor won't stay lit, but it's in pretty good shape looks wise, and complete.

Just carted it home..

Should be a fun project for $200.
Posted By: Redneck Re: John Deere 185 Hydro? - 03/20/12
Originally Posted by Sako
hard call... as long as that is all it will take to fix it, I would jump on it...
What he said..

I have a J.D. GT242 that I have had since 1996... It still runs like a top and the only thing I have ever done on it is regular maintenance and I had to replace 1 tire.... other than that, nothing else.... pretty good for that long. that mower is a lot of the reason that when i bought a big tractor, I went with John Deere...
I've got a JD 285 I bought new in '88.. Still have it - still use it. All I've done is bought a battery or two, a couple coils and had a cam timing gear replaced. I think it'll last another decade easy..
Posted By: muleshoe Re: John Deere 185 Hydro? - 03/20/12
Originally Posted by sagerat22
I have that exact tractor...

Cute..

grin

JD makes pretty decent mowing machines, once you get off the lower levels they sell in The Home Depot and the likes. As you're about to find out, green parts are pricey.
[bleep] things built like a tank. Sheet metal looks like it came off a '54 chevy..
Posted By: woofer Re: John Deere 185 Hydro? - 03/20/12
[Linked Image]

Found a parts rig for ya'..........

W
If it can handle that load, I'm set!
© 24hourcampfire