Home
If you want it could be all time. My vote would have to be Nicholas Cage. I went to the drive ins last night to watch the Avengers (which was awesome) the second movie was Ghost Rider which was one of the most painful movies to watch. It sucked the big one. I think the last good movie Cage was in windtalkers
I think it would be easier if we could just identify ONE decent actor.
Everyone I could think of, and thats not many since I don't go to movies, sucks.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Everyone I could think of, and thats not many since I don't go to movies, sucks.

Ed Norton - good actor.
Originally Posted by teal

Ed Norton - good actor.

I agree. His politics suck but he's a great actor. I agree with the opinion on Nicholas Cage....I cannot stand him and will not watch his movies.
I've yet to make it through even a scene of a Will Ferrell flick - the man is dreadful.

Another that makes my teeth itch is Matthew McConaughy. Were it not for monotone, and deadpan - I'd have no way to describe him.

Few, none in fact, even approach the greats of only a generation ago (and that's a long list). Newer flicks rely on anything but acting.
LOL topic.

1. Nicholas Cage, hands down. Unwatchable, zero redeeming qualities, a lousy character actor but given starring roles? Has he ever NOT destroyed a movie?

2. John Cusack. Barely more watchable acting, while consistently coming off as the same pretentious leftist hollywood douche in every role.

3. Christopher Walken. Understand he has his fans. Can't escape the fact he's famous for regugitating a few memorized lines in the same kicked-by-a-bull drone, looking like an unfortunate institutionalized gentleman they dressed up and put on stage as a joke. Just weird. And un-entertaining.
Daniel Craig...
Jim Carey sick

maddog
Daniel Craig...

Just awful.
Sean Penn
Originally Posted by Mako25
I've yet to make it through even a scene of a Will Ferrell flick - the man is dreadful.

Along with him I would have to add Adam Sandler. The two of them are about the worst I have ever seen. I wont watch anything they are in.
Obama
Sacha Barron Cohen
Originally Posted by sandcritter
LOL topic.

1. Nicholas Cage, hands down. Unwatchable, zero redeeming qualities, a lousy character actor but given starring roles? Has he ever NOT destroyed a movie?

Raising Arizona was a really really good movie.
I liked him in the National Treasure movies too.
I agree with the assessment on Cage and will add these 2 to the lousy actors list- Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert Downey jr.

A DiCaprio movie holds the distinction of being the only film I've ever walked out on.
Originally Posted by sgt217
Daniel Craig...

Easily my favorite James Bond.
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Sacha Barron Cohen

There hasn't ever been a movie made that caused me to laugh harder and longer than Borat did.
Without a doubt, the worst actor in the history of Hollywood is Corey Feldman.

I'll vote for Tom Hanks (excellent actor).
Along with him I would have to add Adam Sandler.

Indeed.
Originally Posted by djs

Jack Nicholson
Meryl Streep
Clint Eastwood

Another that makes my teeth itch is Matthew McConaughy. Were it not for monotone, and deadpan - I'd have no way to describe him.

Few, none in fact, even approach the greats of only a generation ago (and that's a long list). Newer flicks rely on anything but acting.

Stranger Than Fiction? I thought Will Ferrell was good in that. And I don't know anybody that could play a better elf.

Travis
Leonardo DiCaprio

*rolls eyes*

Agreed.

I saw one good movie (mystery, revolving around a "haunted" island/farm), with him in it. Good movie - not performance.
Gregory Peck...good
Aston Kutcher...terrible
Steve McQeen, Paul Newman, Clark Gable, Bogie, Spencer Tracy, Lee Marvin, Orson Welles...many more all better than the current ones.

...a dearth of supporting and character actors thse days also, not to mention screenwriters and directors.
Leonardo DiCaprio

*rolls eyes*

Agreed.

I saw one good movie (mystery, revolving around a "haunted" island/farm), with him in it. Good movie - not performance.

Shutter Island?
Shutter Island?

I'm not certain.
I like Hugh Jackman. John Wayne and Eastwood are my favorites. Also the guy from History Of Violence I can't think of his name
Bad

Christopher Lambert
William Shatner
David Caruso
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Originally Posted by djs

Jack Nicholson
Meryl Streep
Clint Eastwood

Good

Robert Deniro
Al Pacino
I've yet to make it through even a scene of a Will Ferrell flick - the man is dreadful..
I couldn't possibly agree more...

Second choice is Clooney... Ish...
Originally Posted by Mink
Christopher Lambert
William Shatner
David Caruso

Can't argue with any of those even though I love the original Star Trek and the original Highlander.
Actresses current...for sheer watchability Sandra Bullock,

for talent and versatility; Jessica Chastain, Michelle Williams
Well, I have always been mightily impressed by the wide range of emotions that Stephen Seagal can convey:

[Linked Image]

John

Who is Ed Norton?

Aside from the old time actors, I have no idea who these other people are. Are they on the big screen or little screen.

Jim
Originally Posted by arkypete
Who is Ed Norton?

Jim

American History X, Rounders
Originally Posted by 16bore
Obama

This is about actors, not clowns!

Honestly I think it's more about the role they play but what burns me more than anything is the two faced ones. The ones that have made millions of bucks using guns in their movies then turning around and being anti gun. Mark Walberg is one that surprised me on that side of it but he's right up there. As for terrible actors, all in all even though most like him George Clooney isn't high on my like list and even less after his 40K/plate dinner for the above mentioned bad actor/clown!
Originally Posted by maddog
Jim Carey sick

maddog

+1
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I agree with the assessment on Cage and will add these 2 to the lousy actors list- Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert Downey jr.

Ever see Tropic Thunder where Robert Downey JR played the black guy? It was hilarious!
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Who is Ed Norton?

Jim

Thanks for your reply are these movies or TV programs/

Jim
Who is Ed Norton?

Jim

Jim

Movies. American History X is a damn good movie. It's an attention grabber
Keanu Reeves.

Beyond bad..
So apparently there are a bunch of Pauley Shore fans around here?

He's funny, but a terrible actor.

Ashton Kutcher and Nicholas Cage are also on my "not a fan list". The guys from the Harold and Kumar films too. Chris Klein (American Pie, Roller Ball) is barely tolerable, but was good in We Were Soldiers.
Originally Posted by bruinruin

Ever see Tropic Thunder where Robert Downey JR played the black guy? It was hilarious!

AGREED!
So apparently there are a bunch of Pauley Shore fans around here?

He's funny, but a terrible actor.

Disagree. He's completely unfunny and a terrible actor.
Originally Posted by sgt217
Daniel Craig...

Easily my favorite James Bond.

Not mine...
Steven Seagal has only two expressions.

Dumb and goofy.
Great actors not mentioned:
Robert Duvall and Gene Hackman
My pick for the worst, but still well known actors of recent times that immediately come to my mind are:
David Caruso
Nicholas Cage
Colin Farrell
Steven Segal

One of my current favorites is a lesser known young actor named Lucas Black who played the kid that was Carl's buddy in "Sling Blade". I recently spotted him again (though he was a bit older) in a movie rerun on TV called "All The Pretty Horses". Although he had a relatively a small roll in that movie, in my opinion his performance was the most memorable, and believable of all characters and absolutely stole the whole show. Pretty amazing natural acting skills for a young man with no formal training.
The young actor who impressed me a whole bunch recently was Hailee Steinfeld from the new True Grit.
She absolutely stole that show.
Obama

Actors are PREtenders.....

BHO is the GREATEST pretender of all time!!!!!

I also select..

Will Ferrell
Adam Sandler
Jim Carrey
and a few othes named & that I can't think of at the moment.

Their "humor" is stupidity IMO.
A good GREAT one: Robert Duvall. He deserves his own thread.

[Linked Image]

Steve.
I've never liked Jim Carrey either but he was very good in "The Truman Show".
'Dumb and Dumber' was one of the best comedies of all-time.

I was actually SURPRISED that I liked him & that movie. +2
Originally Posted by jwall

I was actually SURPRISED that I liked him & that movie. +2

It frankly surprised the crap out of me too.

Toby Keith, along with the usual already mentioned names. (sandler, shore and Jessica Simpson).
But, Will Ferrell? I cried like a little baby Jesus during Talledega Nights cause the emotion was so raw. Ron Burgandy, would kick Dan Rather's a$$ and in Weddings Crashers, Will Ferrell was the inspiration for us all in his Puma suit with numchucks for Gawds sake.
Sure, he's had a stinker or three, but so has DeNiro, Nicholson etc. etc.
Don't be hating on Will.
Sacha Barron Cohen
+1000!
Best actor: Marlon Brando (The Godfather)
Worst actor: Sean Penn (in anything he's been in)
Sacha Barron Cohen

There hasn't ever been a movie made that caused me to laugh harder and longer than Borat did.

Haven't laughed like that at a movie before Borat or since.

Disregard the content of the movie and focus on the role itself. He should have been nominated for an oscar for that role.

Nobody would have known he was an English Jew doing those scenes....
Bill Ray Cyrus
the worst is Janeane Garofalo
Worst actor of the year easily goes to Quentin "Rampage" Jackson (Mr-T in latest A-Team).

Actors I just can't stand to watch:

Adam Sandler
Jim Carey
Kevin Bacon
Keanu Reeves
Peter O'Toole
Peewee Herman
Nicolas Cage

There are so many good actors but a few memorable performances:

Robert Duvall in Lonesome Dove.
Al Pacino in The Godfather.
Meryl Streep in The French Liutenant's Woman.
Philip Seymour Hoffman in Charlie's War.
Angelina Jolie in Changling.
Whoopi Goldberg in The Color Purple.
Tom Hanks in Forest Gump.
Gene Hackman in The French Connection.
F. Murray Abraham in Amadeus.

David Caruso.
Not understanding which two are to be considered, I'll open it up to all and go with Alan Alda. While he did a good job of creating the character of Hawkeye Pierce, it was only when he was playing the part as it came naturally to him that he did a good job of it. When asked to step outside the comfortable bounds of the role to expand it, such as the scenes where he was to be overcome with emotion and cry, he looked as stiff and unnatural as a high school kid who didn't really want to be in the play but was doing it anyway. Anything I have seen him in outside of M.A.S.H. cemented my opinion.
Originally Posted by pal
Worst actor of the year easily goes to Quentin "Rampage" Jackson (Mr-T in latest A-Team).

Actors I just can't stand to watch:

Adam Sandler
Jim Carey
Kevin Bacon
Keanu Reeves
Peter O'Toole
Peewee Herman
Nicolas Cage

There are so many good actors but a few memorable performances:

Robert Duvall in Lonesome Dove.
Al Pacino in The Godfather.
Meryl Streep in The French Liutenant's Woman.
Philip Seymour Hoffman in Charlie's War.
Angelina Jolie in Changling.
Whoopi Goldberg in The Color Purple.
Tom Hanks in Forest Gump.
Gene Hackman in The French Connection.
F. Murray Abraham in Amadeus.

Oh come on - PeeWee Herman kicked ass in Blues Brothers.
Originally Posted by Irving_D
If you want it could be all time. My vote would have to be Nicholas Cage. I went to the drive ins last night to watch the Avengers (which was awesome) the second movie was Ghost Rider which was one of the most painful movies to watch. It sucked the big one. I think the last good movie Cage was in windtalkers

I fully agree about Nicholas Cage. He is the son ( or a relative of someone important in Hollywood ) or else he would have been gone years ago.
I think Bill Paxton is a pretty terrible actor, though he's been in some good movies (Like Tombstone). He was awesome in Club Dread though.
Originally Posted by Hotload

I fully agree about Nicholas Cage. He is the son ( or a relative of someone important in Hollywood ) or else he would have been gone years age.

Correct. Cage's uncle is Francis Ford Coppola, and Cage's real last name is Coppola.

BTW, he's completely bald and wears a bad toupe.
I'll second the nomination of Keanu Reeves. It is painful to watch him in anything.

Cage actually was very good in some earlier movies: Moonstruck, Birdy, Raising Arizona. Later works aren't so impressive.

Originally Posted by huntinaz
I think Bill Paxton is a pretty terrible actor, though he's been in some good movies (Like Tombstone). He was awesome in Club Dread though.
You ever see Near Dark or One False Move?

Lance Henrickson is a helluva actor. So is Billy Bob Thornton. I liked to have cried watching Badder Santa.

Y'all who can watch Old School with the tranquilizer scene and not rof are better men than me.

As far as bad actors, my kids watch the Disney Channel all the time and some of the kid actors' overacting on the shows they have there is so freaking bad it makes you want to stick your head in the microwave, unfukking plug it and then jump out the window into some poison ivy and prickly pear.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Keanu Reeves.

Beyond bad..

Wow.

Took 5 pages for someone to get this stinker out.

He doesn't bug me though... I think he knows his limitations.

Cruise & Travolta on the other hand... perhaps just a half-notch more acting range than Reeves (or better agents? laugh ), yet personally, far more unwatchable because of their inflated egos.
Want to add George Clooney to my list of top 5 worse actor. His last movie was so slow and boring. Sucked big time.

And the movie before it... something about fly me...very bad
Will Ferrell and Seth Rogan are dreadful to watch IMO.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

I fully agree about Nicholas Cage. He is the son ( or a relative of someone important in Hollywood ) or else he would have been gone years age.

Correct. Cage's uncle is Francis Ford Coppola, and Cage's real last name is Coppola.

BTW, he's completely bald and wears a bad toupe.
I think he's SteveNo's neighbor.
Want to add George Clooney to my list of top 5 worse actor. His last movie was so slow and boring. Sucked big time.

And the movie before it... something about fly me...very bad

I generally dislike him too, but he was awesome in From Dusk 'Till Dawn wink
Dicaprio and Downey Jr. can act.
I liked Clooney in the Ocean's movies and in Burn After Reading.
Frances McDormand rocked as usual in BAR.
Brendan Frasier
Kevin Costner
Clooney was good in The Peacemaker with that Austrailan chick.
Clooney was good in O' Brother where art Thou'

Kevin Costner sucks azz, IMO.
Jack Black is another one I can't stand.
I think Clooney is a darn good actor but folks here tend to dislike his politics and that may color their opinions on him.
Add Val Kilmer to the list of way overrated, IMO.

Tom Hanks is the guy who amazes me the roles he can play and how he sucks you into believing the character. Pretty amazing for a guy who wore a dress and played a woman on TV...
Kilmer was damn good as Doc Holiday.
That movie and everyone in it sucked, IMO.
Open Range with Robert Duvall and that idiot Costner sucked too.
Vinny Barbarino is the worst actor, bar none.

Whoa, gee, cool... From Kotter to Swordfish to Pulp Fiction to Barry's Gay Fundraiser.

John Travolta has been playing himself since his first Band-Aid commercial
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Keanu Reeves.

Beyond bad..

D'oh! How in the heck did I forget about that one? Never mind, I won't question my good luck.
Most folk like that movie.
Originally Posted by coolpapabill
Great actors not mentioned:
Robert Duvall and Gene Hackman

Agreed on both counts. Though I don't really care for him, Hackman is a really good actor.
Originally Posted by cutNshoot
Kilmer was damn good as Doc Holiday.

IMO that is the best role played by anyone in the last 20 years.
Who is Ed Norton?

Jim

Fight Club
+1
Gary Oldman not to bad either.
An actor that can get into ANY role given to him is Johnny Depp.

Donnie Brasco, Willy Wonka, Edward Scissorhands, etc.

I don't like many of his movies, but he sure does a good job of getting into the part.

Tom Hanks does the same. He has played a gay man dying of Aids, a mentally retarded person (one of my favorite movies ever), a tourist, who doesn't speak english trapped in an airport (little known movied called The Terminal), a solo act in Castaway, and many many more.

I would say that Tom Hanks is one of my favorite actors.

I do agree with the Cage and Reeves assessment, though.
Originally Posted by mikeymjr23
Who is Ed Norton?

Jim

Fight Club

Also "The Italian Job" and "The Heist"
Originally Posted by maddog
Jim Carey sick

maddog
sick sick...he is a idiot.
Sacha Barron Cohen
this sob sucks the big one to.
Obama
worst part he aint act'ing frown
Will Ferrell was a riot in daga'nites...but then u have to be a "real" redneck to enjoy that flick...

Jebus - whatever you do, don't forget the "r" when you google this guy....

Pictures of Larry Root?...

HA! There went my coffee!!!

I fully agree about Nicholas Cage. He is the son ( or a relative of someone important in Hollywood ) or else he would have been gone years ago.

His uncle is Francis Ford Coppola. Nuff said? IIRC, his real last nme is also Coppola but he changed it to Cage to hide the nepotism.
Paul B.
Can't find any love for Sandler or Ferrel. Cage was good in Raising Arizona. Coen brothers films are usually pretty good, regardless of who's in 'em. Liked him in Moonstruck, too.

Eastwood, like John Wayne, generally just plays himself, but I can take it. Like Selleck about as well as anyone today, kinda the same approach: He's always Selleck, whether in a Stetson and vest, or an Armani suit. Along that same vein, my all time favorite is still Jimmy Stewart. Partially due to his humility, WWII service and personal ethics, partially due to career.

DeNiro and Pacino generally also just play themselves, can take 'em or leave 'em. Neither are in the same class as Wayne, Eastwood or Stewart.

Never cared much for Brando or any of the other method actors of that era. Val Kilmer was awesome in Tombstone. Often watch it just to see him in that role.

Like about anything Duvall appears in. Don't care for Tommy Lee Jones' politics, helluva actor though. Hanks is usually pretty good, same caveat applies on the politics.

If not mistaken, Ed Norton also played the BAR man in Saving Pvt. Ryan? Or I'm probably thinking of someone else? Oops, wrong on that one. had to check.
Great: Robert Duvall
Good: Clint Eastwood, Ed Norton, Ed Harris, Keiffer Sutherland
Bad: DiCaprio, Sandler, Cage (started out good), Rourke
Beyond bad: Alec Baldwin
Beyond bad: Alec Baldwin

I don't know... I liked Arec Bardwin in Team America!
Frankly I don't like very many Hollyweird types due to their liberal leanings and love for Obama. Two actors whose movies I totally boycott are George Cloony and Matt Damon. Why should my money go to those two A-holes?
To be perfectly honest, the wife and I haven't been to a sit down movie house in more years that I care to count. We just cancelled cable TV and our liberal newspaper. WE no longer rent or buy DVDs and the whole Hollyweird scene can go to hell for all I care. Guess we're boycotting the whole shebang. cool This gives us more time for each other.
Paul B.
The Absolute Worst actor of All Time has to be David Caruso....

You're Really bad when Jim Carrey knows you stink....

Jim Caviezel is a very good actor!

It doesn't hurt that he is conservative to boot!
Keanu Reeves...doesn't get any worse.
Obama
George W Bush
1+
Good actors, Gene Hackman, Robert Duvall. I enjoy most everything they have ever done.
HOTLOAD - "I fully agree about Nicholas Cage. He is the son ( or a relative of someone important in Hollywood ) or else he would have been gone years age."

GHOSTINTHEMACHINE- "Correct. Cage's uncle is Francis Ford Coppola, and Cage's real last name is Coppola."

Yep. Over the years, a number of people have asked me, "Leanwolf, how do you get into show business?"

I always answer, "Well, it never hurts if your father is President/CEO of Paramount Pictures." wink

Show business is about one thing and one thing only: making money for the studio, production company, or network.

Whether or not an actor has the talent of a potato on a stump, if he or she is able to encourage people to attend movies or watch endless teeeveee episodes, that's all that counts. Box office ticket sales and teeeveee ratings are the criteria of an actor's "talent."

L.W.

I think Clooney is a darn good actor but folks here tend to dislike his politics and that may color their opinions on him.

Well you have part of it right.... yes his support of Obama did increase my dislike of him.
however his last movie was very poor. I also dislike that he gets that tall blonde.
I wouldn't pizz on Tommy Lee Jones if he were on fire. I'd crack a beer and enjoy the show.
Alec Baldwin's best performance was in Miami Blues.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
HOTLOAD - "I fully agree about Nicholas Cage. He is the son ( or a relative of someone important in Hollywood ) or else he would have been gone years age."

GHOSTINTHEMACHINE- "Correct. Cage's uncle is Francis Ford Coppola, and Cage's real last name is Coppola."

Yep. Over the years, a number of people have asked me, "Leanwolf, how do you get into show business?"

I always answer, "Well, it never hurts if your father is President/CEO of Paramount Pictures." wink

Show business is about one thing and one thing only: making money for the studio, production company, or network.

Whether or not an actor has the talent of a potato on a stump, if he or she is able to encourage people to attend movies or watch endless teeeveee episodes, that's all that counts. Box office ticket sales and teeeveee ratings are the criteria of an actor's "talent."

L.W.

.... Show business is about one thing and one thing only: making money for the studio, production company, or network.

That explains why that when many actors/actress are considered "hot property" it seems like they get cast in lead rolls in almost every other movie released, regardless if they fit the part, until the public gets to the point that they are sick of seeing their faces.
LMAo!!
Who is Ed Norton?

Jim

Jim

Movies. American History X is a damn good movie. It's an attention grabber

American History X is an incredible. Hits you pretty hard the first time you see it. Hard to believe a guy would put on that much muscle for a movie, then just shed it.
American History X is a liberal propanganda film.

That is all.
David Caruso is the worst, on the other hand I always thought Dustin Hoffman was a great actor, from Tootsie, to rain man, or even little big man. Ishtar was terrible!
American History X is a liberal propanganda film.

That is all.

The ending especially, is wide open in that film. You can take away from it just about anything you want to. To me, it just confirmed the truths that were spelled out in the beginning.
I think every A list actor has had a good movie to two. Even the worst had a role they fit perfectly. A lot of it has to do with the director too. Even Ben Afflack had a few good movies.

As for who has more bad than anybody else....... John Travolta.
I cheated and skipped to page 6, but my vote goes to David Caruso. How that little leprechaun has managed to stay employed as an actor is beyond me.

If it weren't for the pretty wimmens, CSI Miami would have failed in its first season.
Another sensational performance was Heath Ledger as The Joker.
Don Johnson, Nick Nolte, Gary Busey, Eddie Murphy
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

L.W.

Leanwolf knows his stuff.
One man's nepotism is another man's free association. Cage is a lucky sperm club member IMO...gosh awful actor but I liked him in Raising Arizona. Good thing the Coens can make silk purses out of sow's ears.
The Coen brothers are the best at what they do right now and have been for a long time.
with age dicrapo has got better.

he did good in j. edgar and undercover mafia movie with matt damon.

i liked damon in the jason bourne movies.

i think hanks is a great actor he really makes the character he's playing.

cage sucks azz.

I've always liked Sam Elliott.
Loved him in "We we're Soldiers"
Another I like is Viggo Mortenson. It was him who played the lead in "History of violence" as well as in LOTR and Hidalgo.

Selleck and Elliott in "The Sacketts" were a perfect combination which says a lot cause normally I don't like Selleck.

I think you guys have already covered all the worst actors pretty well.
I like much of Giovanni Ribisi work
Originally Posted by maarty

As do I.

I like his mustache.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Winnie1300

As do I.

I like his mustache.

[Linked Image]

In a totally heterosexual way I hope lol
Guessin' someone has already pegged Obama for the Raspberry Worst Actor award. After that the rest are superstars.
Originally Posted by Winnie1300

As do I.

I like his mustache.

[Linked Image]

In a totally heterosexual way I hope lol

Most certainly, perhaps a better choice of words would have been admire. laugh
On a side not, in the 1991 movie version Of Mice and Men, I think Mr. Elliot would have been a perfect Slim.
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
The Absolute Worst actor of All Time has to be David Caruso...

Plus 100 on Caruso. I absolutely can not stand to watch or listen to him. Next on the list for me is Steven Segal.
For some reason, I cannot stand Sam Elliot. He could play Rudy and I would root for Dan Devine.
Selleck ain't bad as a cowboy or Jesse Stone...pretty much plays em both the same but I like him.
I like Ed Norton and Nicolas Cage but I don't see a lot of films. However I can not stand Owen Wilson
As Leanwolf said, and we all know it, it is all about making money and I don't know that Hollywood has ever valued great actors, certainly not in the sense that the U.K. has. I think most of us probably resent those who ineffectively play a role that we live. I have spent most of my life in the saddle and have worked with some very good cowboys, and I am a layman's expert on western history, so I hate it when they put guys in cowboy roles who can't ride a lick. In the original True Grit they cast Glen Campbell? Then in the remake, they cast Matt Damon as the Texas Ranger? There are urban faces and rural, outdoor faces. Sam Elliot at least has an "outdoors" look about him. Affleck and Damon look fine in Brooks Brothers suits or rowing in Central Park. Same for Tom Cruise.
Originally Posted by mtrancher
As Leanwolf said, and we all know it, it is all about making money and I don't know that Hollywood has ever valued great actors, certainly not in the sense that the U.K. has. I think most of us probably resent those who ineffectively play a role that we live. I have spent most of my life in the saddle and have worked with some very good cowboys, and I am a layman's expert on western history, so I hate it when they put guys in cowboy roles who can't ride a lick. In the original True Grit they cast Glen Campbell? Then in the remake, they cast Matt Damon as the Texas Ranger? There are urban faces and rural, outdoor faces. Sam Elliot at least has an "outdoors" look about him. Affleck and Damon look fine in Brooks Brothers suits or rowing in Central Park. Same for Tom Cruise.

Tom Cruise? Do NOT ever put anything on that has him in it in this house. Shenah would throw the coffee table through the TV if you made her watch one of his movies. I don't like him either.
Matt Damon was way out of his league in True Grit.
Ron Paul, in his role as a presidential candidate?
Channing Tatum

Paul Walker

Women love them for there looks but they are painful to watch.

Good actors: any movie just gets better with Tommy Lee Jones or Robert Duvaul. I also like Jef Bridges.
Keanu Reeves. I just can't get past Bill and Ted
No one has mentioned Chuck Norris yet? He's more wooden than a redwood tree........
All current actors/actresses under the age of 45 should, due to lack of talent, be unemployed and forgotten! I really can not think of one good young actor/actress currently living that's worth a schitt!
Obama
So what do you think about Mel Gibson? I think that he is a decent actor who was cursed by his racist father. Taught to be a racist and fights against it. Sometimes, when drunk, it comes out though.
Originally Posted by ConradCA
So what do you think about Mel Gibson? I think that he is a decent actor who was cursed by his racist father. Taught to be a racist and fights against it. Sometimes, when drunk, it comes out though.

Explain to me how Mel Gibson is a 'racist'.
Let Mel do it himself.

I didn't find anything racist in that tirade.
I didn't find anything racist in that tirade.

So, the part that begins at 1:15 where he says "..if you get raped by a pack of ni...." you don't find racist.
No. I'm not easily offended by the use of the [bleep] word.
It is a racist term, period. But don't let the facts get in the way. Carry on.
I watched ConAir last night with Nicholas Cage. What lousy acting, his accent was terrible. I think that was the worst I've ever seen him in, except for his character in Peggy Sue Got Married. Now that was something to behold.
It's true. Cage absolutely sucks.

Nepotism at it's finest.
Clair Rees
No. I'm not easily offended by the use of the [bleep] word.

I only use it when I'm plagiarizing Snoop or Chris Rock. Guess I'm still not safe huh?

Originally Posted by colodog
Originally Posted by mikeymjr23
Who is Ed Norton?

Jim

Fight Club

Also "The Italian Job" and "The Heist"

Primal fear as well.

Like Mel Gibson, Robert Duvall, & Tom Hanks in several films.

Care nothing for Steve Seagal, Van Damme, Val Kilmer, or Sean Penn
Ben Affleck
Eric Roberts
Brad Pitt
Hayden Christensen
Ashton Kutcher
With ne'er a script worth a sh�t, and "audience appeal" based on sex, special-effects "blood," violence, and explosions, what actor today needs to know how to act?
Ben Affleck and his buddy Matt Damon. It never fails how these two ended up where they are. third rate floor managers in a fifth rate department store as my Dad once said of the newly elected Senator from Mass, Edward Kennedy.
Originally Posted by redfoxx
Obama

x2
Originally Posted by gmsemel
Ben Affleck and his buddy Matt Damon. It never fails how these two ended up where they are. third rate floor managers in a fifth rate department store as my Dad once said of the newly elected Senator from Mass, Edward Kennedy.

Disagree. Damon and Affleck can act.

Affleck has been in some seriously horrible movies. Damon has made better choices.
Clooney and Obumbo, stuck together, ala TIME's cover shot:

[img]http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/get-attachment.asp?action=view&attachmentid=142823[/img]
Casey Affleck is a much better actor than his brother Ben.

Gone Baby, Gone is a stunningly good film.
Casey Affleck is very good. As good as his brother or better.
Originally Posted by Cretch
The Absolute Worst actor of All Time has to be David Caruso...

Plus 100 on Caruso. I absolutely can not stand to watch or listen to him. Next on the list for me is Steven Segal.
...Segal sucks the big one! for dammm sure.
George Clooney.
Never could see the draw with that arrogant boob.
Gary Sineas is one of the good ones.
Bad actors - Steven Seagal, Will Ferrell, Ashton Kutcher, Nicholas Cage, Will Patton, Stephen Lang, Charlie Sheen, to name a few.

Good actors- Daniel Craig, Robert DiNero, Tommy Lee Jones, Robert Duvall, Kurt Russell, Johnny Depp, to name a few.
Worst in my book: Cage, Seagal

Decent ones not mentioned: Kevin Spacey, Tobey Maguire
OBAMA! Piss poor acting as a President!
Obama

That's what I was thinking...............
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Bad actors - Stephen Lang....

Gonna have to dis-agree with you on that one. He was unrecognizable in Tombstone as Ike Clanton,...I had to look it up to see who it was.

But,..I'm a bit biased,..I liked him back in his Crime Story days...
My former boss used to say the worst possible movie that could be made would be "Three Muskateers" with Costner, Ben Affleck, and Keanu Reeves.
"Who was the worst actor of recent times?"
William "Wild Bill" Elliott

closely followed by Gene Autry and "Roy Rogers" (Len Slye)

One of the best (in terms of sheer ability) but not yet mentioned here � Hal Holbrook. He was the best "Abraham Lincoln" whom I've ever seen on a screen. And watching him (at 35) doing 70-year-old Mark Twain doing 12-year-old Huckleberry Finn was almost more than the mind can take without tripping a breaker.
Sacha Barron Cohen

This dude is so weird that he might actually be talented, He can pull off Ali G., Borat, and next Freddie Mercury. However, I am not a fan.
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
William "Wild Bill" Elliott

closely followed by Gene Autry and "Roy Rogers" (Len Slye)

One of the best (in terms of sheer ability) but not yet mentioned here � Hal Holbrook. He was the best "Abraham Lincoln" whom I've ever seen on a screen. And watching him (at 35) doing 70-year-old Mark Twain doing 12-year-old Huckleberry Finn was almost more than the mind can take without tripping a breaker.

In addition he is a genuine nice guy. He was one of the few "stars" who seemed to enjoy visiting our reenactor camp and just shooting the breeze. Met him while shooting North South.
In Hollywood it seems almost certain that anyone considered a "star" is probably a bad actor. The good actors often are the character actors you barely remember.
Originally Posted by mtrancher
In Hollywood it seems almost certain that anyone considered a "star" is probably a bad actor. The good actors often are the character actors you barely remember.

Ka-ching!
Keanu Reeves
Never will know as extremely high percentage of them them are or support the radical left. Will not patronize anyone who is unpatriotic and aids in the destruction of the U.S. Portion of dollars spent on movies or products they endorse likely will end up supporting the socialist left. Didn't George Clooney and the Hollywood left raise 15 millon last week for the undocumented alien occuping the White House. GW
Gary Sineas is one of the good ones.

agreed
Borat.. shacha bara whatever
really is a good actor
the parts he portrays are crazy, but he pulls them off as real

That is the definition of an actor
One who can change into a different character

All the pretty boys mentioned are horrible actors
They are talking faces that can only play one part
Cage is like that.

Hanks is a good one
From Gump to space and back.
Good actors are very rare.
Has Ashton Kutcher been mentioned yet? That guy is terrible. The only thing I've seen him in that didn't look awkward is "Dude, Where's My Car?" where he just played himself.
Originally Posted by pal

just watched that again last weekend.
What a performance!

And what a shame , it was his last!
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Bad actors - Stephen Lang....

Gonna have to dis-agree with you on that one. He was unrecognizable in Tombstone as Ike Clanton,...I had to look it up to see who it was.

But,..I'm a bit biased,..I liked him back in his Crime Story days...

He made a good Ike Clanton but every other part he has played he way overacts in them. Watch Avatar, Terra Nova and you'll see what I mean.
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

That's when I met him and he helped me with my MA thesis (on Twain). Never got to meet his beautiful missus, the late Dixie Carter, alas! Had a long-distance crush on that lady!

Good

Anthony Hopkins.. one of the best, loved him in Joe Black.

Robert Duvall

Gene Hackman

Clint Eastwood
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
Originally Posted by pal

just watched that again last weekend.
What a performance!

And what a shame , it was his last!
i left the movie house..did not know who played the joker at the time.....wow what a GREAT job he did...was very sad to fine out the guy had pasted...what a waste
Truly an amazing talent. Watching the movie, I couldn't tell who was the actor, but his performance was so stunning that I was compelled to look it up immediately afterward. His suicide was a shameful waste and a regrettable loss.
Ledger was excellent in 'Brokeback Mountain' too.

Yeah, I friggen watched it. Great movie.
William "Wild Bill" Elliott"

That "recent" tag trips me up all the time as wsll,my friend!

FWIW: A local oilman who also was on our rodeo board back in the 'forties was considered a real "Main player" because he got Wild Bill to come to our rodeo 2 years in a row.But.......

when he left after his second visit,he took the oilman's wife with him!

I did get to ride "Thunder",his big black horse,though.Even got to hold one of his six-guns,too.

Some might remember him better as "Red Ryder".

One of my favorites is Robert Duvall.

Most underrated might be Ed Harris.

Worst of the worst, and may have written the book on bad acting is O.J. Simpson. Don't think he'll be acting anytime soon. Win-win!.

1flier
Edward norton
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Sean Penn

10+ on that JERK.

© 24hourcampfire