Home
I'm thinking about buying a mid-sized utility ATV, and I think I have narrowed my choices to the Yamaha Grizzly 450 and Honda Rancher. Both models that I'm interested in are 4WD, auto transmission and electric power steering.

Yamaha has a decent video on YouTube comparing the two, and according to their video, the Grizzly has a "true" automatic CVT, front AND rear diff lock 4WD, more ground clearance, better towing capacity, etc.

However, I believe the Honda has shaft drive and EFI, which I sort of like for some reason. In my mind, at least, I would also give Honda the edge in reliability.

There are two separate dealers located near me, and each has a pretty good reputation, and so that is pretty much a wash.

Any toughts on these two ATVs, especially from those with experience?

Thanks.
i have owned honda's since the 60's, and have a big red in the back yard and a Gold Wing in the garage, and a honda accord. I love honda. Having said that, i bought a yamaha grizzley 750 a few years ago, and feel i made the right decision, sort of. Having to due it again, i probably would have settled with the 450 grizzley. The 750 is a screamer, which comes at the cost of higher gas usage, and power that mostly you don't need. The power steering, independent full suspension, lockers front and back, engine break, disc brakes and so on make it really good to drive. I rarely use the low on the transmission, and don't need the brakes much really as the engine brake slows it down, Highly recommend it. I looked at all the brands before purchasing and am glad i did the yamaha. Only thing i would complain about is most of these bikes regardless of the manufacture come with crud tires, which need to be replaced at some point.
Mostly when i am using the grizz, i just push the button on 4x4 in and out and thats it. I am firmly convinced it would climb a tree. Look at some of the youtube video on grizzley's and you can see what they do.
more than once out with others, i have had other riders want to exchange rides, seeing how my grizz goes through the forest without killing me in the process. Very comfortable to ride.
If your into mud riding, you might want to consider the Grizzly with the diff lock, otherwise i'd go with the Rancher AT with IRS, EPS, and Traxlox. The wife has one, it was a good trail machine until I did a gear change on it, now she can play in the mud whenever she wants too. The problem I found with the Rancher is that it is geared for trail riding and is geared way too high for slow, mud crawling or water crossings. With the gear change it turned it into an entirely different beast.

My next wheeler is probably going to be a 700 Grizzly since Honda doesn't want to build a Foreman with IRS.
I have a 2007 Honda Rubicon that has the auto transmission and 4x4. The only gripe I've got against it is that sometimes it's difficult to get it into the right gear when I need it. Sometimes it has to be rocked back and forth a little. Sounds weird, but that's how it works.

Such as,..there's been a couple of times I've gone down this cow trail where I hunt. Both sides are extremely steep and the edges are washed out. Ususally if I'm careful I can creep down it without any problem, but if it's wet, all bets are off. Twice I've been creeping down it and the tire slips off the edge of travel and myself and the atv have been on the edge of impending doom.

At that time,..I'm doing a balancing act that would make a circus performer proud. I've got every brake handle I can reach pressed to the max to keep from going further forward. I need reverse and I need it NOW. I need it positive and I need it NOW. Sometimes my Honda doesn't always comply.

That's the only gripe I've got. I wish I would have looked at Yamaha before I bought the Honda. Don't know if it would have been any different but I should have checked them out.

Other than that, the Honda is boringly dependable.....
I have an 11 year old Honda 500 that has been thru the grinder constantly since I've owned it. Beat all to heck but runs like a top and just keeps on keepin on.
Yamaha is far advanced to Honda when it comes to the extras. Engine is probably equal, but the ride is better on a Yamaha can get power steering, for some areas that is great. No Hondas for me.
The only thing Yamaha has that Honda doesn't is the diff lock. Yamaha's use a belt in the drive system while Honda is shaft driven, much more dependable than a belt drive IMO. I think both manufacturers offer solid machines, you just have to decide which one works best for the type of riding you do.
Both are good machines, I have a 2010 rancher ES (not rear IFS). My only beef with the Rancher is the new EFI engine is a gas hog compared with my carbed 07 Foreman, but it is snappy smile.

The Honda rancher does lack a locking front diff, but it's a pretty bullet proof machine and transmission. My 07 Foreman has 1900 miles on it, one battery and a shift sensor is all I have replaced, and I plow with it all winter.
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
The only thing Yamaha has that Honda doesn't is the diff lock. Yamaha's use a belt in the drive system while Honda is shaft driven, much more dependable than a belt drive IMO. I think both manufacturers offer solid machines, you just have to decide which one works best for the type of riding you do.

Thanks for all of the replies. The shaft drive and my own perception of Honda's reliability are about the best arguments for the Honda, at least in my mind. Without having a lot of experience with ATVs, is the shaft vs. belt a REAL issue, or is it more of a theoretical advantage? In other words, do belt drives fail much more often than shafts in the real world?
IMO, I believe you get more power to the ground with a shaft drive compared to a belt drive but honestly, I don't think it's really that much of an issue. Only thing I worry about on belt drives is the belt getting wet as I travel through a good number of creeks and rivers up here.

If you don't do a lot of mud riding the RancherAT should be perfect for what you do, it's a comfy riding machine and has real snap when you hit the throttle. Fuel injection is the only way to go too, carbs can get finicky at times, especially in cold weather. Mine has carb heat on it so I don't too much of a problem but I much prefer the EFI.
I've had both Yamaha and Honda. You really can't go wrong with either one.

The Yamaha has shaft drive as well. The Yamaha will be more 'trail friendly'. Both will be work horses, the Yam has a bigger motor and will just as well for work type stuff. If you need an EFI there is only one option between the bikes listed. I have had one EFI machine and it wasn't as cracked up to be as they made it sound.

That said, I now have a honda foreman 450 but bought it because of the deal. I'd trade it for a Yamaha Grizz 450 in a second if I had the $ for the Griz.

I don't think Yamaha is a belt drive to the wheels.
Both machines are shaft drive. Shaft drive just means that's how they drive the rear wheels from the transmission, pretty much all modern ATV's are shaft drive. The difference between the two is that the yahama is a belt style CVT transmission, it's got a rubber belt that rides between two pulley's that can change diameter and that's how it adjusts the gearing. The honda is a electronically shifted dual clutch five speed automatic.

I have a 2010 honda rancher AT that the OP is talking about. I love it and haven't had a minute's problem out of it. The IRS rides like a cloud and the power steering is great. EFI is a requirement for me now, I'm done with anything that has a carburator. I highly recommend the machine.

Lots of folks have the belt style automatic transmissions since that's what every maker other than honda uses. You don't hear of many problems out of them unless they get wet. I don't like them though, I just don't like the concept of my transmission being operated by a rubber belt. It seems like cheesy engineering to me.
I looked around and bought a 2011 Rancher with all the bells and whistles. Put on the 3 year warranty due to all the electrical things that could go wrong.

Good dealer support in this area helped sell me on the Honda.
I have a Grizzly 660 I bought used with low milage. I plow with it and have worked it and the belt drive seems well built. It holds back on hills well. If I bought another ATV I would want EFI. No warmup needed with EFI and that's a plus hunting and If you plow IMHO. Ground clearence is a bit over rated. They all have enough and they all have skid plates (plastic or other material) because they all know sooner or later you will bottom out. A lower center of gravity in hill country will get you more places. There are places around here I'd take a Honda I won't take my Yamaha.
Originally Posted by tzone

I don't think Yamaha is a belt drive to the wheels.

No, your right, it isn't belt drive to the wheels, that's why I said it uses a belt driven system. Blow the blet and your dead in the water, only way you kill the Honda is by shearing or breaking the shaft. But I wouldn't let the belt thing drive my decision either way.
After doing some more Internet reading, it looks like both machines get pretty favorable reviews overall. One thing I've seen mentioned a few times though, even in professionally written reviews, is that the Honda AT can be finicky (hunting for the right gear), and it sometimes has issues getting into reverse.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Honda AT issues? Are these annoyances or something that can become a real problem down the road? My understanding is that the Honda AT now being used is a relatively new design.

Also, bump for evening crowd opinions. grin
BTT

Need to hear more guys. I have a 1996 Yamaha Kodiack, one of the old ones that is all time 4WD, takes a football field to turn around in. It was even caught in the 2009 flood and sat underwater for 3 solid months. And it still runs good, just time for a new one. For my needs I need all the ground clearance I can get (for the sloughs I have to cross) and the quietiest machine made. I have a jacked up golf cart I use when the water is down, and it's a go getter, but useless when the water is up.

So I'm leaning towards another Yamaha.
So I'm watching this thread with great enthusiam.

Doug
I know you didn't ask, but you might want to check out a Polaris Sportsman.

I went from Yamaha to Polaris and never looked back. I have never tried a Honda, but I think Polaris has everything you're looking for and then some.

Didn't mean to complicate your decision, just sharing my experience.

donsm70
I've had 3 Yamahas (Big Bear, Kodiak, and now a Grizzly 700) - loved 'em all. I prefer them to all of the others - have Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda and Polaris dealers close, and cost was not an issue for me in the decision between 'em. Have friends that have/have had all of the others - only ones that I've seen too many issues with were Polaris. That was 10+yrs ago, but none of 'em will go back so no experience with the newer ones.

Never had a problem with the belt on the Kodiak or Grizzly. I had the Kodiak in fairly deep mud/water a few times. I buy 'em for hunting, not for mudding, etc., so I don't go looking for the stuff. If I did, I'd look into "snorkels" for the transmission "vent tube".
I ran Yamaha in the 80s. Switched to Hondas in the 90s; bought a new 300 TRX in 98 (which I still driver to work every day.) Honda is the generic term for an ATV in many parts of roadless Alaska which should tell you something. However, the newer tranverse engine Hondas have had problems from the beginning. Last September, my wife got a 450 Grizzley (when she asked me to choose whatever I wanted in an ATV.) It is 4WD with EPS - the best feature to come along on these machines when they are used on rough terrain. At the same time, we bought my mother-in-law a new machine. She wanted a Honda Rancher. We had hers set up essentially the same way. It has power steering as well. Our Grzz has 3400 miles on it right now and has been a great machine. In the cold, the crankcase breather iced up - it was -30 when any ATV has these problems. That caused a pressure build up in the crankcase. A seal blew out, pouring oil into the clutches and eventually smoking the belt. Having kids driving the machine did not help that situation I'm sure. The fix allowed me to see how well Yamaha has engineered these machines. Everything was easily done correctly without splitting the engine. All I had to do was pull covers off. It's a very well thought out engine. I was initially worried about the belt on these things. I believe that concern was unwarranted considering the design. The Honda didn't have such issues of course. Then again, Honda's EFI engines don't seem to be set up for operation - or starting anyway- in deep cold.

There are a lot of Hondas around here. It isn't uncommon to see them for sale for $500-1200 with blown engines. Newer Hondas have more trouble with their motors than did old Hondas. They also require different oils than did the old ones and the present Yamahas. (Honda presently specifies only motorcycle rated oil where automotive oils were okay in older models as well as current Yamaha [and Suzuki] ATVs.) Polaris machines run for a year or two and then get parked when used locally. They have a very good ride however.

I still like the older solid axle geared transmissions for road use. For off-road, all-terrain purposes, give me a Grizzly. The 450 is a great little carbed machine; I wouldn't disdain the fuel injected 550 either in a slightly bigger machine.
I believe them both to be among the best machines and will do most anything a hunter farmer/rancher would need from an ATV, and also consider both to be a bit tougher and more dependable than my Polaris 700 blush

Gunner
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I ran Yamaha in the 80s. Switched to Hondas in the 90s; bought a new 300 TRX in 98 (which I still driver to work every day.) Honda is the generic term for an ATV in many parts of roadless Alaska which should tell you something. However, the newer tranverse engine Hondas have had problems from the beginning. Last September, my wife got a 450 Grizzley (when she asked me to choose whatever I wanted in an ATV.) It is 4WD with EPS - the best feature to come along on these machines when they are used on rough terrain. At the same time, we bought my mother-in-law a new machine. She wanted a Honda Rancher. We had hers set up essentially the same way. It has power steering as well. Our Grzz has 3400 miles on it right now and has been a great machine. In the cold, the crankcase breather iced up - it was -30 when any ATV has these problems. That caused a pressure build up in the crankcase. A seal blew out, pouring oil into the clutches and eventually smoking the belt. Having kids driving the machine did not help that situation I'm sure. The fix allowed me to see how well Yamaha has engineered these machines. Everything was easily done correctly without splitting the engine. All I had to do was pull covers off. It's a very well thought out engine. I was initially worried about the belt on these things. I believe that concern was unwarranted considering the design. The Honda didn't have such issues of course. Then again, Honda's EFI engines don't seem to be set up for operation - or starting anyway- in deep cold.

There are a lot of Hondas around here. It isn't uncommon to see them for sale for $500-1200 with blown engines. Newer Hondas have more trouble with their motors than did old Hondas. They also require different oils than did the old ones and the present Yamahas. (Honda presently specifies only motorcycle rated oil where automotive oils were okay in older models as well as current Yamaha [and Suzuki] ATVs.) Polaris machines run for a year or two and then get parked when used locally. They have a very good ride however.

I still like the older solid axle geared transmissions for road use. For off-road, all-terrain purposes, give me a Grizzly. The 450 is a great little carbed machine; I wouldn't disdain the fuel injected 550 either in a slightly bigger machine.

Thanks Klikitarik,

Just looked at mine and it only has 1400 miles on it after 16yrs. And 0 miles on the road. I'm a Louisiana boy, at -30, I'd blow a gasket too.

You were very helpfull.

Doug
I have a Honda Foreman which I bought second hand, it's 450, and I think it's a 1999. It's got 9000km's (5000 miles) on it. Runs like a champ and climbs like a goat.

Nothing fancy it just works and works.

Over the years I've driven Suzuki, Polaris, CanAm, Yamaha, Honda, and Arctic Cat. The only quad I've been stranded on - twice - were Yamaha Grizzly's. Lot of people swear by them but after the last time which was a 7 mile walk back to camp I don't believe I would consider owning one. Other than Yamaha I think they are all reasonably good or maybe I just had bad luck.

ATVs are all-called "Hondas" by the ranchers around here also.

They've got 4 or 5 older Hondaas on the ranch where I moonlight in the summer--the owner is convinced that they outlast other brands when used/abused regularly over years.
Curious what the reason(s) for stranding were in those instances? Lots of Hondas stranded from time to time out here. Of course that isn't surprising considering the number of them. And 5000-10,000 miles/year is rather ordinary with any of them.
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
The only quad I've been stranded on - twice - were Yamaha Grizzly's. Lot of people swear by them but after the last time which was a 7 mile walk back to camp I don't believe I would consider owning one. Other than Yamaha I think they are all reasonably good or maybe I just had bad luck.

Funny, as the only quad that has ever stranded me in similar circumstance as a Honda! I'd say we both just had bad luck . . .
I was on a East Texas lease for years where ATV's were the mode of transportation from camp to stand and back. Most were either Honda or Polaris and great fun was had when one or the other broke down or got stuck and was pulled in/out by the other!!

We had one Polaris that took a wave over the bike causing the belt to slip..it was towed in by a Honda 300, where the owner pulled the covers and put a hair dryer to work drying it out!!

The newer Polaris 700 series 4-wheelers were the caddys of the woods, better suspension, power and clearance then the ole Honda 300's, but the Honda's were great on gas and never broke down.

The newer Honda's that replaced the 300 series have had engine problems.....and it was rumored it was...because they never made any money on repairs to the 300 series engines.

Hopefully all this has been corrected now and you probably can't go wrong with either brand but you ought to ride each ATV, the ride is much different.

Good Luck!
There would be no complicated decision to make between a Polaris and a yamaha on my end. Not even a close decision for the yammi.
Who in the [bleep] makes a fancy Yellow side by side. Yellow wheels, hood, etc.?

I would really, really like to catch those little weasel dick [bleep]. Small town, and I will find out.
Sounds like a can am to me!

Have owned a pair of shaft drive Yamaha Moto 4's since buying them
new in 1986 and besides having to put only a recoil on one of them after many, many years of use, they still start and run incredibly well every year!! That's 26 years of use, I mean they don't owe us a Damn thing at this point!Oh and not to mention We paid $1,900
each for them in 1986 and I can still get at least a grand for each one tomorrow! My cousin owns a Honda 350 Rancher that she really likes as well.I have driven it and I loved the power range and the ride was excellent.I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either one.
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Curious what the reason(s) for stranding were in those instances? Lots of Hondas stranded from time to time out here. Of course that isn't surprising considering the number of them. And 5000-10,000 miles/year is rather ordinary with any of them.

Evening Klik,

The first time was the fuel system, the second time was the electrical. The fuel system was on an older carburetor model. The float bowl sank and that was that. Luckily we were not to far out and still on good ground.

The second was a newer 700? Anyway nice bike until it quit. The part of the system that keeps the battery charged quit working and the machine ran out of spark a long way from camp.

I know folks that really like the Yamaha and have had good experience with them, just with my experience I won't buy one.
Probably a Can-Am.
If your into mud riding, you might want to consider the Grizzly with the diff lock, otherwise i'd go with the Rancher AT with IRS, EPS, and Traxlox. The wife has one, it was a good trail machine until I did a gear change on it, now she can play in the mud whenever she wants too. The problem I found with the Rancher is that it is geared for trail riding and is geared way too high for slow, mud crawling or water crossings. With the gear change it turned it into an entirely different beast.

My next wheeler is probably going to be a 700 Grizzly since Honda doesn't want to build a Foreman with IRS.

The Rincon would be Honda's equivalent to a 700 Grizzly. The Rincon has IRS and a superior transmission IMO. The only downside with the Rincon is in hilly, mountainous terrain. That and that it lacks power steering.
I have a 2006 Honda Rancher 4x4 thats been great,no problems
if I where going Yamaha I would look at the Big Bear
Grizzly 700's are the most popular around here . I moved up to the fuel injected 700 fron a 660, night and day difference and the power steering is great.
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
In my mind, at least, I would also give Honda the edge in reliability.

How important is that to you? Almost everything does something better than a Honda...but not that. Ever.
Originally Posted by cnyarcher
Sounds like a can am to me!

Yes, matches my local intel.....grin

Originally Posted by tzone
Probably a Can-Am.

They are going down.

The people I know used to have Honda ATV's but went Yamaha.
Honda makes good stuff. Their small engines are hard to beat.
I'm leaning more and more toward the Grizzly 450 over the Honda Rancher 420AT. The more I read on the 'net, the more it looks like the Honda's new twin clutch automobile-style transmission is prone to problems. Even if the problems are actually few and far bewteen, I've read several comments that they are extremely expensive to repair/replace.

From what I've read, if the new AT on the Honda craps out, you are looking at a new tranny. Someone was quoted $2,900 for a replacement. crazy It seems like even a lot of guys on Honda forums are recommending the manual trans just to be safe.

I'm sure every brand throws out a lemon now and then, but it appears that the Yamaha CVT is tried-and-true and is serviceable if something does go awry.

This will be my first ATV. I'm sure my wife, 13 year-old son and nine year-old daughter will want to take it for a spin at some point. I tried teaching my wife how to drive a manual transmission car years ago, and it was a disaster. I think I really want the AT, and from what I've been reading, the Honda AT makes me nervous.
Think Griz....or King Quad.
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Think Griz....or King Quad.

I looked at the King Quad some, but it looks like to get power steering and auto, you need to step up to the 500cc, which is considerably more expensive (~$1,000) than either the Grizzly or Rancher. It also has EFI, and seems to be regarded as a capable, reliable machine.

I mentioned to my wife that I had narrowed my choices down to two ATVs. She said great, how much, $3,000? I said no, more like $8,000 incl. tax, etc., OTD. After that conversation, I don't think I can afford the King Quad. laugh

ETA:
Suzuki dealers are fewer and farther between around here....
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Honda makes good stuff. Their small engines are hard to beat.

For off the shelf & across the board- unbeatable.
Originally Posted by Westcoaster

Evening Klik,

The first time was the fuel system, the second time was the electrical. The fuel system was on an older carburetor model. The float bowl sank and that was that. Luckily we were not to far out and still on good ground.

The second was a newer 700? Anyway nice bike until it quit. The part of the system that keeps the battery charged quit working and the machine ran out of spark a long way from camp.

I know folks that really like the Yamaha and have had good experience with them, just with my experience I won't buy one.

Thanks. Had similar carb troubles with both Suzuki and Honda ATVs. Carbs are typically built by Keihin, Mikuni, or other none-ATV manufacturer so I would be hesitant to blame the ATV. OTOH, I do think the companys are remiss in not having anything better than a fuel strainer when a filter would be better. I add one to avoid problems.

I still think that Honda would be able to sell a bunch of those old 300s. RELIABLE was the motor, and you could kick start them.
[I mentioned to my wife that I had narrowed my choices down to two ATVs. She said great, how much, $3,000? I said no, more like $8,000 incl. tax, etc., OTD. After that conversation, I don't think I can afford the King Quad. laugh

Worth a look online - I ended up buying from a dealer up north and having it (2010 Yamaha Grizzly 700) shipped to me for a good bit less than $8000. For the savings over the local dealer (who flat refused to budge off of MSRP), I decided to hell with the local dealer connection, etc.
Originally Posted by Foxbat

The Rincon would be Honda's equivalent to a 700 Grizzly. The Rincon has IRS and a superior transmission IMO. The only downside with the Rincon is in hilly, mountainous terrain. That and that it lacks power steering.

I know all about the Rincon, my best friend has one and honestly, as much as I love my Hondas, I do not like that Rincon. It is geared for trail use and has no low end grunt when your going through a lot of mud and I believe it only has 3 gears too but I could be wrong on that. The only Honda made for hard work and hard riding is the Foreman, it's geared low enough to go through just about everything BUT, no IRS.

As too the question about the ES on the Rancher, going into reverse can be a pia but that can be cured by a simple adjusment to your brake cable. I adjusted the wifes and it goes in reverse quite easily now. You can also adjust it so you don't have to push down on the red button but it's not that big a deal pushing the button.
Yeah, it's a 3 speed which is why I guess they set them up sacrificing the low end. Just mentioned it because it's really the only Honda apples to apples comparison to the 700 Griz.

I had a Rincon for several years and liked it, other than the fact that the gear ratios and torque converter caused it to not engine brake very well going down steep inclines. On the other hand, that 3 speed auto is probably the most bullet proof auto tranny of all the ATV's or side by sides.

Funny thing is, they use the same engine and transmission on my Big Red but they set the gears up for better lower end. By doing so, it's obviously no where as fast, but it's stronger on the low end.

The plus on the Rincon though, is that is one smooth riding ATV with the IRS.
That's weird that they would build a low end version of the Rincon motor for the Hippo, errrrrr, I mean Big Red. Put that in the Rincon and it would be a game changer, at least for me anyways.

My next machine will have IRS and EPS. That EPS is something else, i've hit rocks with the front wheels with it while trail riding and you can't even feel them, you can steer easily with one hand too.

Can't say that about my Foreman. You hit a rock with a front wheel with that thing and you'll know it.
Who in the [bleep] makes a fancy Yellow side by side. Yellow wheels, hood, etc.?

Can Cam Commander, helluva machine. What did they do to piss you off?
I came across a good deal on the Internet for a Grizzly 450 that is about $1,100 less than my local dealer for the same unit, out-the-door (incl. tax, tags, delivery & set-up). I called my local dealer to see if he was flexible on his price. He ended up telling me what he pays for the machine, and it was more than the other place is selling it for. He claims he doesn't know how they can sell them at the price, and he warned me to make sure that there were no hidden surprises. The local dealer said that if I could get the ATV at that price, that I should buy it elsewhere and he would be more than happy to service it for me locally.

I called the western PA dealer, and it does not seem to be a gimmick. They are $1,100 less expensive than the local guy. I think I might be taking a four-hour (one-way) roadtrip for the Grizz soon. For a few hundred dollars, I would buy local, but for $1,100, I think I'll waste a day of my time an $80 worth of gas.

It looks like I'll be taking TXRam's advice.
I have to ask what may be a stupid question to you all. Do/will you be going off in this thing by yourself, If so, how you going to man handle the beast if you get into some bad chit unless you are 230lbs and built like a rock? Me not so much, old and skinny. I can still move/push a 300cc, but that is the extent.
Originally Posted by idnative1948
I have to ask what may be a stupid question to you all. Do/will you be going off in this thing by yourself, If so, how you going to man handle the beast if you get into some bad chit unless you are 230lbs and built like a rock? Me not so much, old and skinny. I can still move/push a 300cc, but that is the extent.

I don't have any big plans to get too far off the beaten path. Maybe take a few joy rides, plow some snow, ride to a local pond to do some fishing, etc. Most of this will be within cell phone reach. Also, I'm one of the very few people in my area that doesn't already have an ATV, and so riding partners shouldn't be too hard to find.

I'm prohibited from using an ATV to hunt much of the public land in PA (e.g. State Game Lands, State Parks, etc.).

If worse comes to worst, I'll hop off, walk home, hop in the Toyota 4Runner, and go pull it out.... smile
Not exactly sure what you mean by man handle but if you are referring to getting stuck you have some options. 1. Get a winch. 2. Small come along stored in a rack bag.
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Not exactly sure what you mean by man handle but if you are referring to getting stuck you have some options. 1. Get a winch. 2. Small come along stored in a rack bag.

Would a small come along get me through this? grin

[Linked Image]

Here is another pic to help with scale....

[Linked Image]
I came across a good deal on the Internet for a Grizzly 450 that is about $1,100 less than my local dealer for the same unit, out-the-door (incl. tax, tags, delivery & set-up). I called my local dealer to see if he was flexible on his price. He ended up telling me what he pays for the machine, and it was more than the other place is selling it for. He claims he doesn't know how they can sell them at the price, and he warned me to make sure that there were no hidden surprises. The local dealer said that if I could get the ATV at that price, that I should buy it elsewhere and he would be more than happy to service it for me locally.

I called the western PA dealer, and it does not seem to be a gimmick. They are $1,100 less expensive than the local guy. I think I might be taking a four-hour (one-way) roadtrip for the Grizz soon. For a few hundred dollars, I would buy local, but for $1,100, I think I'll waste a day of my time an $80 worth of gas.

It looks like I'll be taking TXRam's advice.

My local dealer is a horse's a$$ - I've owned 3 Yamaha's, 2 purchased new and neither from them. I looked up the dealer I bought the Griz 700 from - Fix Powersports was the name of the place, and got it cheaper than I could get a 500 anywhere else. It was the end of the model year, and he said Yamaha was sending 'em to him by the truckload and they were moving 'em out fast! I was pleased with the communication, etc., not a single problem.

If the local dealer would have been willing to work with me some, I'd give 'em my business.

Might want/need one of these for the less traveled trails......

[Linked Image]

Can Cam Commander, helluva machine. What did they do to piss you off?

Drove all over hell on a creek bottom. I hate idiots on ATV's.
when i bought my grizz, i think i hit most every dealer in the state of arizona.
There was a dealership in ohio advertising on ebay. I ended up buying from them, and had it dropp shipped to phx. It saved me quite a bit of money. Out the door it was about 7200 for the 700cc unit.
Pretty good deal at the time.
as i think i mentioned in my previous post, i hardly ever use the brakes because the engine brake works so well, most of the time i just leave it in high range. Having said that my son in law has another brand. He has said he wanted a grizz after watching me pick my way through some scary stuff after going into low and 4x4 and engaging the lockers. The 700 has about a 1200pound pulling cabability too. I would hate to see what it would take to get it stuck, it has a lot more cabability than i do. I thought about getting a winch on it, but just never have really seen the need.
Good to hear. I think I'm going to stick with the 450. It will be my first quad, and my scrawny 13 year-old son will want to ride it, too. Maybe even my wife and daughter will give it a try.

Perhaps one of them will really take to the 450, and then I can upgrade to the 700....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Ours has served us well in the short time we've had it. Love the EPS; don't even feel rocks and bumps in the steering.
Great pics! That's gotta be about the best use for an ATV that I can think of. There is one happy rider....

On a scale from one to ten, with one being a "nice to have" and ten being a "must have", how would you rate the addition of a winch for a "casual" ATV rider?

Edited to add:
The winch will be a "must have" if I decide to plow with it, although last winter I didn't even use my snowblower once.
[Linked Image]

What is that,..remnants of where a glacier was at one time?
This is not my machine but I got to ride it a few times last Fall.
One day we traveled around 40-50 miles so I got a pretty decent idea, it's a nice wheeler.
[Linked Image]

Klik's rocks look nasty, that would be a good test!
I would have thought so, but according to this local newspaper article explaining the formation, the glaciers did not extend this far south.

The formation is just off of the Appalachian Trail in Berks County PA. Although not as bad as in this pic, these types of rocks make hiking the AT in PA a real "pain". Here is a link to the article. You might have to click past an ad:

Blue Rocks
CoalCracker, what kinda deal you gettin on the 450 if I can ask?

What, no respect for the rocks in PA that I posted? grin
I missed it man!

Those PA rocks are worse!
Originally Posted by pahick

The best deal that I found online was at Miller's Yamaha in Lemont Furnace, PA. The price shown on their website is $5,990. I called and spoke with them and hinted that I was suspicious of the price. They assured me that the online price is correct, except that they do add an additional $345 for destination and set-up charges. Of course, the advertised price does not include tax & tags.

I think all dealers have a similar destination and set-up charge, but some may disguise it better in the overall cost. I found a few other prices that were close, but none of the dealers are real close to home.
Originally Posted by pahick

The best deal that I found online was at Miller's Yamaha in Lemont Furnace, PA. The price shown on their website is $5,990. I called and spoke with them and hinted that I was suspicious of the price. They assured me that the online price is correct, except that they do add an additional $345 for destination and set-up charges. Of course, the advertised price does not include tax & tags.

I think all dealers have a similar destination and set-up charge, but some may disguise it better in the overall cost. I found a few other prices that were close, but none of the dealers are real close to home.

I buy my stuff down in WV at Romney Cycles. No tax. Register it in PA and pay the tax. They have a 450 Griz for 6595. Wheel and deal a little youll get a better deal. Take cash. Once you get it to PA with tax and reg your probably at 7000. Thats a good deal too you found tho. Good luck with it!
Winch?...depends on how old you are, how strong your back is, and how creative you are. I should add "how smart you are" too, but strong back and smart are often an odd combination. grin Anyway, I have never had to walk away from a stuck machine, but I tend to avoid "mud-bogging" situations when possible. I would rate a winch as "nice to have" though I see that moving up the scale as the calendar rolls. Getting the winch as part of a new rig package is probably the least money. Often times a dealer may not dicker much on price, but may be agreeable with lower-priced add-ons in order to sweeten the deal instead.

What, no respect for the rocks in PA that I posted? grin

Do you see an ATV parked in them, or similar ones? I'd call that respect grin , or at least good sense.

BTW, I'm never crazy about banging through those rocky volcanic crumble strings. However, sometimes it becomes the preferred alternative when the other choice involves miles of equally lumpy, if less abrasive tundra. smile
Thanks for the heads-up on Romney Cycles. I like them better than Obama Cycles....

I still have a few calls and Internet price quote requests in with dealers that are closer to home. I'd pay a few extra bucks to save 10 hours in a car and nearly $100 in gas money. I won't pay $1,100 more at the local dealer if for no other reason than I will feel stupid if I do.
Thanks for the heads-up on Romney Cycles. I like them better than Obama Cycles....

I still have a few calls and Internet price quote requests in with dealers that are closer to home. I'd pay a few extra bucks to save 10 hours in a car and nearly $100 in gas money. I won't pay $1,100 more at the local dealer if for no other reason than I will feel stupid if I do.

Dont blame ya, id feel the same. I looked all over when I bought my King Quad 750. Guy at work told me about Romney. I called the guy up and told him what I was lookin for. He said hold off 2 weeks im getting a truckload of leftovers in, 5830 out the door, I almost [bleep]! The local dealer wanted 7500. Super nice folks too. Good luck which ever way you go!
Using the winch as a deal sweetener is good advice. I really don't think I need one, but after reading the Grizzly forums for the past few days, it seems like the winch is viewed as one of the more important add-ons - sort of like good glass is viewed on the 'Fire.

Looking at your pics, it doesn't seem like you would have a good place to hook up a winch. Could you drive a bar into the ground, or is it too frozen?
Ive put the guy I worked for in high schools honda rancher through hell and it had LOTS of miles on it and all we ever had to do to it was change oil. I only have 900 miles on my Honda Rancher and I have no complaints at all about it. Mine is fuel injected and it started everytime no problem no matter the conditions. If I ever have to buy another 4wheeler I will for sure go with a Honda Rancher again
Originally Posted by laker
Ive put the guy I worked for in high schools honda rancher through hell and it had LOTS of miles on it and all we ever had to do to it was change oil. I only have 900 miles on my Honda Rancher and I have no complaints at all about it. Mine is fuel injected and it started everytime no problem no matter the conditions. If I ever have to buy another 4wheeler I will for sure go with a Honda Rancher again

What type of transmission does your Rancher have? I've read many times that the Rancher is a top-notch, bullet proof quad, except that the newer auto trans doesn't yet have a long track record. The Rancher started out as my first choice, but what scared me was a thread I read on a Honda forum which said that if the AT fails, it cannot be repaired and must be replaced. I'm nearly certain that someone posted that they were quoted $2,900 to replace the AT in a newer Rancher.
Don't forget to pick-up a small electric pump (any auto parts store has em) and a tire plug kit.

Looking at your pics, it doesn't seem like you would have a good place to hook up a winch. Could you drive a bar into the ground, or is it too frozen?

Folks that have the winches sometimes carry a fluke type anchor and, (or at least), a long rope. 4WD seems easy, generally, when you've put tens of thousands of 2WD miles on these rigs. I carry a small saw (to build beds across mud bogs, if necessary). Paul Bunyan couldn't kill these willows and alders.
IMO, a winch is a must have. You say the type of riding you do shouldnt require you to need one BUT, there's always the chance that you get an invite to go someplace that could hold some nasty terrain. You'll need it for the plow anyways so I would just work out a deal with the dealer and have them put one on.

Like someone said above, get yourself a small portable air pump and a tire repair kit, that's another item I wouldn't leave home without.
Got\have had both Honda's and Yamaha's. Currently have a Rhino and Fourtrax 300. You won't go wrong with either. Like said above-a winch is a very desireable piece of equipment to have on the rare occasion that you need it.
Suzuki. http://nyrocatv.com/ ( my name is dead nuts on)
I'm leaning more and more toward the Grizzly 450 over the Honda Rancher 420AT. The more I read on the 'net, the more it looks like the Honda's new twin clutch automobile-style transmission is prone to problems. Even if the problems are actually few and far bewteen, I've read several comments that they are extremely expensive to repair/replace.

From what I've read, if the new AT on the Honda craps out, you are looking at a new tranny. Someone was quoted $2,900 for a replacement. crazy It seems like even a lot of guys on Honda forums are recommending the manual trans just to be safe.

I'm sure every brand throws out a lemon now and then, but it appears that the Yamaha CVT is tried-and-true and is serviceable if something does go awry.

This will be my first ATV. I'm sure my wife, 13 year-old son and nine year-old daughter will want to take it for a spin at some point. I tried teaching my wife how to drive a manual transmission car years ago, and it was a disaster. I think I really want the AT, and from what I've been reading, the Honda AT makes me nervous.
!!! 911!!! u need to find a old copy of "dirt wheels magazine" and u will toss the honda "AT" out the window...in there test it "shifted gears" on hard turn shocked ...throw that pos away.
In 3 years worth of riding, the wife has not had a single issue with her RancherAT other than it was geared for trail riding and not riding in the mud.

It's just like anything else, you build enough of them and your going to have a few lemons. Look at the new Polaris and Arctic Cat sleds, they are perfect examples of this.
My Grizzly 660 had a receiver hitch on the back when I bought it. I have different ball mounts for it. One is with a ball to pull my trailer, one with a clevis in it to pull/drag things, and one with a long drop to pull spreaders and other lawn equipment. I've got a rack that works on the hitch and I can put a deer on it or haul things around when working. I have used my winch for several things but so far haven't been stuck. I got the winch initially to raise my plow. I put an Amsteel synthetic rope on my winch and bought a plow rope for use in the winter so I don't wear out my winch line.

I keep my ATV in this trailer.
[Linked Image]

With my plow on it.
[Linked Image]
Made my choice, I'm getting the 700 grizzly with a 3000lb warn winch and a few extras including some 28" mudtires. It's new but a 2011 model that the dealer has, and making me a heck of a deal on, including a new 6 1/2' X 12' trailer he also sells. He's giving me the trailer at his cost. He's a small dealer 30 miles from me so I guess his "overhead" is less. Less by over $2000. Plus the other dealers were quoting the price on a 550 griz.

Pays to shop around.

Doug

Yea me too. My Honda is not as fancy or fast as my friends Polaris or my other friends Suzuki but it cranks all the time, and does what I need it to do.
How much snow in WV necissatates a plow? grin
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Yeah, it's a 3 speed which is why I guess they set them up sacrificing the low end. Just mentioned it because it's really the only Honda apples to apples comparison to the 700 Griz.

I had a Rincon for several years and liked it, other than the fact that the gear ratios and torque converter caused it to not engine brake very well going down steep inclines. On the other hand, that 3 speed auto is probably the most bullet proof auto tranny of all the ATV's or side by sides.

Funny thing is, they use the same engine and transmission on my Big Red but they set the gears up for better lower end. By doing so, it's obviously no where as fast, but it's stronger on the low end.

The plus on the Rincon though, is that is one smooth riding ATV with the IRS.

Problem with the Rincon is it's not a twin cylinder. It is fast as long as you aren't loaded down. Most other bikes over 600cc's will be twin cylinder. That's where the torque comes from. My buddy's Rincon is a really nice fast and comfortable riding bike. Put some bigger tires on it and it's a dog in the mud. The 500 Foreman has more torque. Some of that due to gearing. And it is a 3 speed. I've personally seen a decked out Rincon stuck in the mud not able to spin the bigger tires while a small 450 or 500 bike would blast past it due to better gearing and torque. My next bike will be a 550 Griz with EFI and power steering.

Clyde
© 24hourcampfire