Home
I am sure most folks here are familiar with the controversy regarding McMillan and Bank Of America.
I just want to fill you folks on something else that you may have missed.

Apparently Bass Pro Shops received a lot of feedback about BofA's anti 2a stance as they are the bank that back the Bass Pro Shops credit card.
In response to that Bass Pro Shops issued a statement saying that Kelly McMillan had either "misunderstood or misrepresented" what BofA had told him in the meeting with him. Then Bass Pro Shops said that they would not officially take a side.
So basically they called Kelly McMillan either a liar or a fool.
Nice.

I posted this on the Bass Pro Shops facebook page and encourage anyone else who feels strongly to do similar.

Massive thumbs down to Bass Pro Shops!
I have been a long time customer of your business, even before the store in Mesa, Arizona opened. When I was a kid I used to read your catalogs like they were gospel... taking in every page.
However with no regrets I must tell you now I will NEVER spend another pen...ny with your stores. I say this becuase of how Bass Pro Shops has reacted in regards to the McMillan/BofA controversy.
I understand that Bass Pro Shops has no "official" opinion or stance regarding the fact that Bank of America does not want McMillan as a customer due the fact that McMillan manufactures firearms. I understand not taking a side on that esepcially given that the Bass Pro Shops credit cards are issued through BofA.
However when you issue a statement saying effect that Kelly McMillan "either misunderstood or misrepresented what BofA stated in their meeting"....well then quite frankly you are taking a side and its pretty clear which one it is.
You statement attempts to call into question the intergrity and competance of not only Kelly McMillan himself, but McMillan as a company as well.
Shame on Bass Pro Shops as a company for deriding an independent American owned business that not only supplies fine American made products to sportsmen/women, but provides items to the mutliple branches of the U.S. Military and law enforcement agencies.
I hereby pledge to never spend another cent in with your stores, mailorder, or online. I will also due my best to ensure that everyone I know whether involved in hunting/fishing or not will now know exactly why I feel this way, and they will be encourage to the same.
I could follow suit, but do you know where else to get Uncle Joe's flies brand of trout spinners? They are mega deadly out here.
Argh! Thanks for the info. A little protest would be in order to voice an opinion. Safariman; you should go with panther martins for a little bit. smile
Panther Martins are my spinner of choice! Only problem is that they are made in China, Mepps are made in frogland.
Thanks for ruining it for me. Mine are old though so they may be made in USA. You can always dig worms or tie flies.
My Bass Pro Card charges me 19% interest. My Cabelas card charges me 9% interest. Guess which one I use? The only reason I got the BP card is that they gave me a 150.00 discount on a Benelli when I opened the account. I didnt know BOA issued the BP credit cards. I piad it off and will probably never use that card again.
Originally Posted by brinky72
Thanks for ruining it for me. Mine are old though so they may be made in USA. You can always dig worms or tie flies.

But a worm skewered through BOTH sets of hooks (uncle Joe's spinners have a trailer hook as well) on a Joe's Flies golden spinner with its tail floppin all around behind the lure? My oh MY what a trout killin set up!
Originally Posted by safariman
I could follow suit, but do you know where else to get Uncle Joe's flies brand of trout spinners? They are mega deadly out here.

You can buy them here http://www.joesflies.com/
THANKS! I just saved that paged to my favorites and will be amking an order today or tomorrow. They really ARE more deadly than my typical Mepps, Blue Fox, Rooster Tail and Apnther MArtins. I have and ahve used all of those a goodly amount the past 40 years or so. Discovered the Joe's Flies double hookset spinners two years ago and really love 'em. MADE IN THE USA too!
I won't shop Bass Pro Shops either...
Originally Posted by Auger01
My Bass Pro Card charges me 19% interest. My Cabelas card charges me 9% interest. Guess which one I use? The only reason I got the BP card is that they gave me a 150.00 discount on a Benelli when I opened the account. I didnt know BOA issued the BP credit cards. I piad it off and will probably never use that card again.

For almost ten years now, my BOA card has been at 5.9%. Never had any problem with them and don't know of any other card with as low a fixed interest rate. When I find it, I'll switch.

Anyone got a link to Bass Pro Shops mention of mcmillan/BOA?
Ill go this far - I'll never buy a firearm from 'em, or ever apply for their card (which I wouldn't anyway).

Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

Anyone got a link to Bass Pro Shops mention of mcmillan/BOA?

I am sorry I don't have a link to it.
The original comment from Bass Pro was posted on their facebook page just over a week ago, and I can no longer find it.
It has been addressed a couple of times by Kelly McMillan on the McMillan Group's page.
I try to support the local shops as much as I can over the Bass Pro Shop. In the South East we don't have the option of going to Cabelas because there isn't one. So if you need it and the small shop doesn't carry it, it is either a trip to Bass Pro or order it and wait.
I only use cash at Bass Pro to buy ammo and accessories when they are on sale. I would never have one of their credit cards.
Thomas,
Thanks for posting this. I was wondering how my conversation was going to go. I have two BofA cards. One is in fact a BPS card as there is a BPS less than 10 minutes from home. The other BofA card I almost never use but the BPS card I use everytime I shop there or anywhere that doesn't take Discover. I also use(d) it for business. I made a business trip recently and haven't gotten that bill yet. It is and was my intention to pay that bill and then go into BPS and get a direct answer as to their response. The fact they would continue to use BofA as their card provider astounds me. I intend to cash in my points, spend them then and there and likewise never purchase another thing from BPS. I'll then immediately cancel both cards in two separate phone calls (to double the fun) to BofA clearly telling them why.
It is absolutely amazing to me how few people will take any stand at all on such things. I have friends who have the card and when told of BofA's actions simply shrugged their shoulders. Yet we all whizz and moan at the erosion of the 2A but 95% won't lift one finger to do a single thing about it. mad We absolutely 100% deserve what we get.
credit cards are bad...
Originally Posted by DayPacker
credit cards are bad...
For some folks I guess. I haven't had a balance in over 20 years (at least) and the points on my Discover card are flying my family to Colorado for vacation.
Discipline is a lost art.
credit cards are bad...

unfortunately its near impossible to use checks outside the town you live in anymore......last summer we tried to casha business check in major city in Montana on a Thursday morning and could not get it done even though the banks down there could call my home bank and confirm funds......after going to 5 different banks we wound up having to drive 35 miles down the road to a small town where our local bank had a branch.....
I find the big box sporting goods stores to be more expensive, than the local stores for the goods I shop for. Sale prices at Cabelas and Bass pro are about what I would pay at my local shops.
Too much Chinky chit.
Support your local shop while they are still around.
Cisco
The BassPro store is about a 1 hour drive for me, but it is very rare for
me to go there. Too many know nothing, azz hole sales people.
I very seldom buy from Bass Pro , they are just to dam high on their merchandise and it can be purchased cheaper at other places. They do have some product others just don't stock and if i really need the item, then i buy from them. I would never have their credit card.
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU

...It is absolutely amazing to me how few people will take any stand at all on such things. I have friends who have the card and when told of BofA's actions simply shrugged their shoulders. Yet we all whizz and moan at the erosion of the 2A but 95% won't lift one finger to do a single thing about it. mad We absolutely 100% deserve what we get.

I agree!
Its unfathomable to me that some folks are willing sell out the fight for our 2nd Ammendment right in exchange for saving a couple of percentage points on a bank/credit card...
I just don't get it.
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM

...It is absolutely amazing to me how few people will take any stand at all on such things. I have friends who have the card and when told of BofA's actions simply shrugged their shoulders. Yet we all whizz and moan at the erosion of the 2A but 95% won't lift one finger to do a single thing about it. mad We absolutely 100% deserve what we get.

I agree!
Its unfathomable to me that some folks are willing sell out the fight for our 2nd Ammendment right in exchange for saving a couple of percentage points on a bank/credit card...
I just don't get it.
It's not even that, BofA is FAR form the best terms on a CC. It's just laziness and apathy.
True.

In Phoenix we happen to have both a Cabela's and a BassPro. BassPro is roughly 15 miles round trip from my house, and Cabela's is about 72 miles round trip...
I try and support my local shops as much as possible, but sometimes I can't and need to hit a big store.

I will be making the drive to Cabela's everytime from here on out.
With their prices, I don't see how they do so well to begin with.
credit cards are bad...
For some folks I guess. I haven't had a balance in over 20 years (at least) and the points on my Discover card are flying my family to Colorado for vacation.
Discipline is a lost art.

PLus at least one.....

Alaska Airlines gives me a 100 buck companion ticket once a year plus miles to boot.... you simply have to pay your bills when you get em, just like utility bills etc... pretty simple actually.

I agree!
I just don't get it.

Just like the 90+% of gun owners who don't belong to the NRA.
[bleep] bass pro shops............
Just another reason for me not to shop there.....I swore them off a while back. I prefer to be helped by someone behind the gun counter who can actually answer a simple question. I have walked out of that store frustrated for the last time.
No more Bass Pro for me. Never did like the store.
I've certainly had my ups and downs with them, but this was the straw that broke the camels back.
Tom - good work - and thanks for that material. I can use it. Only been to a BPS three or four time (there is a DOUBLE LIFETIME supply of fishing gear here), but am going to write and will not go back.
Still amazed at the apathy especially amongst this group.
I sent this email today. The little "2nd amendment gun sale IF you use the BofA card" was really just too in your face. I expect another non-response.
Stopping doing business with an organization is pointless if they don't know why.

I live 5 miles from your local store and have shopped there often since it opened. I also had a BPS VISA card. In light of Bank Of America's anti gun stance in many things, the most recently blatant being their dealings with McMillan stocks, I have cancelled my BPS card ($25k limit) and another card of theirs I carried (also a $25k limit) as well as stopped all shopping at your store. I have read, and couldn't get any answer from the store, that BPS is standing with BofA on this issue and contending that "McMillan must have misunderstood". As I drove further yesterday to an Academy Sports store to buy a kayak I again wondered how long before BPS would reconsider their affiliation with an anti 2a bank? Then I received your latest fall hunting circular in the mail proclaiming the "First ever 2 amendment firearms sale" but only "If you pay with your BPS/Bank of America card." Were the irony not so sad it would be humorous. Something to be said for being transparent I suppose.
I run a small outdoors related forum and particpate on another extremely large one. My direct question is "What is Bass Pro Shops' position on continuing to use Bank of America as their credit card issuer of choice when Bank of America has and continues to discriminate against buinsesses in the firearms industry?"
I will certainly not spend another penny with BPS and will enourage as many as possible to follow suit until BPS takes a firm stance in support of the second amendment by not supporting anti 2nd amendment businesses.
I had never ordered from Cabelas until this and just placed my third order with them this week (a trail camera). Their service is flawless. Apparently they have their own bank for credit card processing which no doubt is profitable. There are obviously limitless ways for BPS to make a positive statement.
I'll await and share your response.
Respectfully,

Never had any interest spending money there.
I've never set foot in one of their stores because there wasn't one close. This issue sealed it for me that I wouldn't go in one if it were right around the corner.
I already had dropped BOA like a bad habit a very long time ago.
I'm ever tired of their bait-n-switch tactics on the sales they advertise.

The never [bleep] have in stock the great deals they run in those monthly mailers I get.

I've been trying to score that $89 Lead Sled for 5 gotdamn years. Always sold out when I get to the store.

They keep 3(three) in inventory for a market size the population of Nashville.
We have both a Bass Pro and a Cabela's here in Phoenix...

I am keeping my word on this. This weekend I drove 65 extra miles round trip to buy a pistol and a bunch of ammo from Cablea's when my local guy didn't have what I needed.

SCREW BASS PRO!
Damn, my parents gave me a 50.00 gift card to BP two weeks ago, I guess I have to give it away now.
Thomas,
Thanks for posting this. I was wondering how my conversation was going to go. I have two BofA cards. One is in fact a BPS card as there is a BPS less than 10 minutes from home. The other BofA card I almost never use but the BPS card I use everytime I shop there or anywhere that doesn't take Discover. I also use(d) it for business. I made a business trip recently and haven't gotten that bill yet. It is and was my intention to pay that bill and then go into BPS and get a direct answer as to their response. The fact they would continue to use BofA as their card provider astounds me. I intend to cash in my points, spend them then and there and likewise never purchase another thing from BPS. I'll then immediately cancel both cards in two separate phone calls (to double the fun) to BofA clearly telling them why.
It is absolutely amazing to me how few people will take any stand at all on such things. I have friends who have the card and when told of BofA's actions simply shrugged their shoulders. Yet we all whizz and moan at the erosion of the 2A but 95% won't lift one finger to do a single thing about it. mad We absolutely 100% deserve what we get.

Believe it or not, cancelling credit cards usually has a negative affect on your credit score.

Bass Pro is 50 miles from the house. The closest Cabelas is 670 miles away. Academy 125 miles and Dicks is the same. Guess which one I have to support if I can't order it on line. I have been a mail order customer of Cabelas for a long time. I still wonder why they haven't chosen to place a store in the South East. I always give the local sporting goods shop first shot, but his shop isn't very big and has limited inventory.
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Thomas,

Believe it or not, cancelling credit cards usually has a negative affect on your credit score.

Yeah, that's what BofA tried to tell me when I told them to cancel the cards. grin
My score is fine and your score is based on, many things, some of which are both your 'potential credit exposure' (meaning how much could you potentially draw on existing lines) and your current debt to credit limit ratio. In both cases, I'm fine. Even if I wasn't, I'd have gladly cancelled.
Originally Posted by RDW
Damn, my parents gave me a 50.00 gift card to BP two weeks ago, I guess I have to give it away now.
That money is already spent. Use it.
We have both a Bass Pro and a Cabela's here in Phoenix...

I am keeping my word on this. This weekend I drove 65 extra miles round trip to buy a pistol and a bunch of ammo from Cablea's when my local guy didn't have what I needed.

SCREW BASS PRO!
You've got to remind them why every now and again. After any material purchases elsewhere would be a good time to remind them. smile
Originally Posted by RDW
That money is already spent. Use it.

Yep. Or do what I did with the one I got for Christmas-sell it to someone else.
dang, and I just spent a wad at the one in Miami shocked
With the advent of Cabelas stores all over the place, and with a Cabelas card, who need Bass Pro anyhow. Cabelas is the big leagues, BPS is rookie ball.
sadly, Cabelas has not discovered that folks with money live on the East Coast or in the South.
We have a Bass Pro Shop here in town, and the nearest Cabela's is a 3-hour drive.

That's why I mail order from Cabela's! And with their current cardholder deal where shipping is free with a Cabela's card, I've ordered more from them in the past 2 months. Before that, I ordered a bit more from Midway than Cabela's.

Also, Cabela's fraud dept. does good work, and stays on top of things. I never mind getting a call that my account is locked up because they saw charges that didn't make sense to them. Once they called me, asked me if I made a particular charge, and when I said "no", they shut the card down and overnighted me a new one. Hey, maybe inconvenient for a weekend, but I didn't have to pay any charges for something I didn't purchase.

I also don't get the lack of NRA membership. It's pretty cheap, not much more than the cost of a magazine subscription. And after a few years they gave me a deal on a lifetime membership, which I'm sure they extend to everyone.

I doubt Bass Pro will notice much difference, though. Every time I drive by that store the parking lot is full.
BPS=unexperienced staff, high prices to cover overhead, poor customer service
Cabelas=unexperienced staff, high prices to cover overhead, poor customer service--better selection of products--better return policy
THOMASMAGNUM thank you for pointing this out. I have refused to do business with BoA since they allowed illegals to open account without ID. I now have to put BPS on that list.
I've always preferred Cabela's over Bass Pro if not buying locally. ONLY credit card I use is Cabela's and ALWAYS pay balance in full before due date. Bass Pro sucked to me before this incident. Any gun owner that doesn't belong to the NRA is an idiot!!!!!
I tried to find it on the BP FB page to add support, not seeing it.
When they had there Grand opening in Rancho Cucamonga Ca. I asked one of the sales rep. if they had Nato primers and he told me that there was no such primers. then he asked one of the managers and the manager went off on me in front of about 50 customers about there were no such primers that they did not exist. I tried to tell them that the Nato primers were used in military style semi auto rounds to reduce the slam fire problems with those types of rifles. After I informed them what the purpose of the primers were they both laid into me still in front of every customer that had gathered around.

In My Opinion the people that work at Bass Pro Shop are nothing short of Buffoons. I will not give them my business.
I gave up my BPS credit card a couple years back when BOA was giving credit cards to illegals. Where were all you Johnny Come Latelys then?????? confused Who is Kelly McMillan? If he is the guy selling those rifle stocks for the 1%ers I think I will pass on the sympathy. How about Tide products. Do you buy them? Tide Foundation supports all kinds of liberal causes. How many have Progressive Car Insurance? The owner is right up there with George Soros when it comes to supporting liberals. Take the time to check these different companies out and you will be surprised at what they support with YOUR contributions to their products.
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
BPS=unexperienced staff, high prices to cover overhead, poor customer service
Cabelas=unexperienced staff, high prices to cover overhead, poor customer service--better selection of products--better return policy

Remedy that by knowing what you want before you go in there. Their mail order CS is amongst the best there is.
© 24hourcampfire