Home
I have an old wooden airplane propeller about 6' long , think it came off an old J3 Piper.

Anyone ever made a ceiling fan out of one of these ?

Mike
Sell it and buy a nice ceiling fan.

Or hang it on the wall and buy a nice ceiling fan.

It's way too heavy. The motor it'd take to spin it, then gearbox or whatever to slow it down to normal operating rpm's, is going to prove to be quite a project.
What might it be worth ?

Mike
http://www.bigassfans.com/

Adam
Tried one in my big garage down in Scottsdale a few years back - moved a ton of air - too much - 'twas difficult to get it slow enough with a motor big enough to do the job. Now, if I'd had a gear reduction setup, like on - -
Originally Posted by 6mm250
What might it be worth ?

Mike

As a prop, quite a bit.
But I'm guessing if it's just laying around it had a prop strike or some sort of structural integrity problem and lost its wings. (so to speak smile )

Might be surprised too, the value as a collector's item. I"ve seen many hanging on walls of old fly boy's man cave or part of a display at restaurants and clubs and such.

Call local aircraft mechanic and ask about having it tested.

wood props for airboats used can be had around the 300 buck mark give or take all day long.... some 72 inches is pretty average in length.

Its the composite ones with multi blades and such that can hit 5000.00 plus pretty quicklly.
© 24hourcampfire