Home
Posted By: EvilTwin WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
grinUsed to listen to this in 'Nam
[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=upnJKrd0m1g[/video]
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
The last time I heard this was in 1971. Haven't heard it since until tonite. It was one of the Platoons' favorites.
Posted By: Violator22 Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
Deep Purple, they do age well!
Posted By: eh76 Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
Deep Purple...brings back memories..
Originally Posted by eh76

this particular one brings back a LOT of memories. Tonite is very hot,humid and fulla skeeters. Just like old home week. All I'd need is to hear the sound of a chopper and some gunfire and I could revert. The associations are very powerful
Posted By: Mako25 Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
Getcha a ticket. After several changes, and a complete disbanding for several years, Deep Purple is together again -- or was -- and contains very nearly it's original members.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
Peace, brother. Remember the things that make you smile, and let the bad stuff float away.

Glad you found your long lost tune.
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

this particular one brings back a LOT of memories. Tonite is very hot,humid and fulla skeeters. Just like old home week. All I'd need is to hear the sound of a chopper and some gunfire and I could revert. The associations are very powerful

got the Hueys flying here...some hauling water for fire suppression and spraying weeds...can hear that distinctive rotor noise
Posted By: okok Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
I wore out the "Made in Japan" vinyl. smile
Posted By: Mako25 Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
My favorite albums, and songs, were from the David Coverdale era. The man has a set of pipes.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Peace, brother. Remember the things that make you smile, and let the bad stuff float away.

Glad you found your long lost tune.

I'll second that! I hope you remember the good things that song symbolizes for you and can let that over-ride any of the bad you associate with it.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
It's been disabled guys. kwg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upnJKrd0m1g
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12

Jim,
Just remember, you OWN the memories, they don't own you.

Voice of Experience, Vol. 2

Ed
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
Originally Posted by okok

Amazing the power some tunes can have as far as bringing memories rushing back. Glad you found it again, Jim.

I saw the DP Perfect Strangers tour in '84 at the Nakano Sun Plaza. Also caught Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow for the '81 Difficult to Cure tour, as well as Whitesnake for the '81 Come and Get It tour. Both at the Budokan, as I recall.

Wow, as a case in point, I was just listening to a Rainbow song on YT and memories of a guy by the name of Wes Brearly, a monster of a young man from Canada, decide he was badder than the half dozen Tokyo riot cops who took exception to his hurling empty bottles into the crowd. Any guesses as to who came out with the brown end of the stick on that one? wink

Good times.
Love the harpsicord in that one. Listened to a bunch of DP when a kid.

Any fans of Rainbow with Ritchie? I used to have a whole stack of albums from that era and followed numerous bands as they went through members and solo efforts etc.

There is no good music anymore. Ain't worth a chit these days.

Originally Posted by kamo_gari

Amazing the power some tunes can have as far as bringing memories rushing back. Glad you found it again, Jim.

I saw the DP Perfect Strangers tour in '84 at the Nakano Sun Plaza. Also caught Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow for the '81 Difficult to Cure tour, as well as Whitesnake for the '81 Come and Get It tour. Both at the Budokan, as I recall.

Wow, as a case in point, I was just listening to a Rainbow song on YT and memories of a guy by the name of Wes Brearly, a monster of a young man from Canada, decide he was badder than the half dozen Tokyo riot cops who took exception to his hurling empty bottles into the crowd. Any guesses as to who came out with the brown end of the stick on that one? wink

Good times.

Heh.
I was listening to the song when you was posting smile
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Heh.
I was listening to the song when you was posting smile

Which reminds me of a Dio show I saw at the Worcester centrum in HS. Jayzus, that was a gruesome night. whistle

I can't listen to the vast majority of the metal stuff I used to dig, but there are some that I can sit back and smile, and get lost in time. Here's one.

Rainbow in the Dark excerpt.

When there's lighting, you know it always brings me down
Cause it's free and I see it's me who's lost and never found
Do your demons, do they ever let you go?
When you've tried do they hide deep inside
Is it someone that you know?
You're just a picture, you're an image caught in time
We're alive, you and I, we're words without a rhyme
There's no sign of the morning coming,
You've been left on your own, just a rainbow in the dark

Posted By: bucktales Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
Some of the Tommy Bolin era stuff wasn't bad either...
1975 wasn't THAT long ago, was it??

Posted By: Redneck Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
Dang.. And here I thought you located the 'Fountain of Youth'.. frown
Posted By: T LEE Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
Some that I listened to that I liked.

Ferry Cross the Mersey
Just Once In My Life
A Walk In The Black Forest
Down In the Boondocks
Under the Boardwalk
Suspicion
Dead Man's Curve
House of the Rising Sun
Leader of the Pack
Cherish
Monday, Monday
96 Tears
Last Train To Clarksville
Summer In The City
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
Man, if you don't like House of the Rising Sun, you are most likely a Democrat.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
Didn't think you were into that kind of musik grin you've never said much about it before.Guess we all had tunes of the times..mine that hits home is CCR's Bad Moon a Rising.My first night on the base we got hammered by mortars,lost several people and this was playing on Armed Forces Radio.Still sends a shiver when I hear it.
Hey, I was young once! Still like and have a CD of Blood, Sweat & Tears in the truck that I play frequently.

My all time favorite though remains Patsy Cline, Especially "Sorry".
Posted By: hatari Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
Deep Purple - early on at the Playboy Mansion. Check out Hef...........

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear....556.868.1j0j1j5-1.3.0...0.0.XdUINAju8bY
Posted By: badger Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
Another oldie, used to listen to these guys when I was in the military.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKxZY0DIxIk
Thread's still up.
Had to click and listen again. Good old song, I hadn't heard it in years, too.

I can't listen to the vast majority of the metal stuff I used to dig, but there are some that I can sit back and smile, and get lost in time. Here's one.

Same here.
Another Dio fan here.... that song especially!
Thanks! smile

The wife don't like it though, it's jamming right now anyway. laugh

I saw Dio but it was during his stint with Sabbath. Another band I had all their albums. Master of Reality being my favorite.

Let me guess.... you're also a fan of BOC, I bet. smile

[quote=bucktales]Some of the Tommy Bolin era stuff wasn't bad either...

A buddy of mine in high school was a HUGE Bolin fan.
I heard it all, a lot.
Originally Posted by T LEE

Ferry Cross the Mersey
Just Once In My Life
Down In the Boondocks
Under the Boardwalk
Suspicion
Dead Man's Curve
House of the Rising Sun
Leader of the Pack
Cherish
Monday, Monday
96 Tears
Summer In The City

Sheesh.
Reads like a list of my own childhood favorites.
You forgot a couple, though.
Wendy.
The night chicago died.

smile
Originally Posted by badger
Another oldie, used to listen to these guys when I was in the military.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKxZY0DIxIk

I KNEW IT!

I knew someone would come up with it.

First thing I thought of when litstening to ET's OP last night was Uriah Heep. Another that I wore out some vinyl and 8-tracks smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-L0NpaErkk

smile
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
Originally Posted by T LEE

Ferry Cross the Mersey
Just Once In My Life
Down In the Boondocks
Under the Boardwalk
Suspicion
Dead Man's Curve
House of the Rising Sun
Leader of the Pack
Cherish
Monday, Monday
96 Tears
Summer In The City

Damn Terry you is a bit older than me!! cry Was in school and had a part time job at a pharmacy when "a bunch of those were popular! grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
Jim...Woody showed me the 7.62 case you had engraved for him...very cool beans Sir...glad to still have you both amongst us...listening to old tunes....
I remember many of those because dad's band played them.
Others because they were popular at that time.

Originally Posted by ingwe
Jim...Woody showed me the 7.62 case you had engraved for him...very cool beans Sir...glad to still have you both amongst us...listening to old tunes....

grinFrom an "altered" song we sang,"The flash of the Redleg and the roar of the Gatlings made the cherries shake with fright,we cut loose with our 60's and then with the 16's and we proved our schit wuz tight" From "The Gook Named Charlie" done to the tune of the guy who was lost on the MTA grin Did he ever return,no he never returned and his fate is still unlearned, he will hump forever in his silent terror, he's the gook who never returned! grin
Posted By: GeoW Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
Thanks Jim..
Posted By: levrluvr Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
Some of the Tommy Bolin era stuff wasn't bad either...

A buddy of mine in high school was a HUGE Bolin fan.
I heard it all, a lot.

I really don't know many who actually ever heard of Tommy- he was so immensely talented but died so young. I too listened to a lot of his work when I was younger, and the only speaker I ever blew (a woofer out of a Klipschorn, repaired by Klipsch under warranty and I still have) was listening to some Bolin at a party we threw at the U of I.
'Bustin Out for Rosie' I believe....

I firmly believe one of the reasons that new music can't hold a candle to the older stuff we grew up with is the simple fact that it's all been done before. Music, like the movies, is all a poor attempt at a redo.
Jim
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
Ferry Cross the Mersey

Herman's Hermits.

I was a kid in England at the time so heard 'em at the source cool Only thing that used to puzzle me was a line from another hit of theirs "Silhouettes on the Shade".

The line sounded like "Let me in or else I'll wee... (English for "pee") ...down your door." grin

Anyhoo, music and memories....

Early eighties in Africa of course was all Bob Marley, the most popular entertainer on the planet at that time (tho' not so much in the USA).

My memory tho concerns Motown, specifically Smokey Robinson.

Ghana was was an exceedingly rough proving ground of vehicles, and Toyotas generally passed. The little Corolla (or some such) of that era was frequently employed as a Taxi, not only in the towns and cities but also off the beaten path in the dry season when the dirt roads became somewhat passable.

These battered little sedans would be driven way-overloaded from the start, as many as four adults crammed into the back seat, one or two up front, luggage tied to the roof. Thumping and bottoming out down the dirt roads in a cloud of dust, weaving to avoid the washouts and deeper gullies.

I was walkng back to my village one hot, dusty day when one of these comes up from behind and stops, offering to carry me the last few miles. I accepted.

"Obruni (White Man) priviledge" was of course granted by these hospitable folks. In recognition that you were a visitor, enduring hardship on their behalf no less, you would almost invariably be sat up front, next to the driver. Dont bother trying to refuse, takes too much time to explain (EXCEPT on the main highways, where riding up front could get you killed in a collision).

Folks rearranged themselves I get in, and the taxi resumes its slow, weaving and bumpy course. The usual driver decorations installed; fancy trim hanging from the headliner, maybe a photo of family, girlfried, Bob Marley, or Jesus. Maybe a plastic Jesus on the dash, a crown or flag. And maybe a sign or saying like "Onyame ye me Boafo" ("God is my helper").

What was different here was that this guy had a brand-new, very good sound system installed, maybe sent by a relative working overseas.

Better yet he was playing a Motown cassette, best of Smokey Robinson and the Miracles. So unexpected it blew me away grin Ya gotta understand, I hadn't heard ANY music on a system like that in MONTHS, let alone Motown.

This was the first song I heard on that tape, never will be the same for me again... cool

Birdwatcher
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12
iHeart Radio is your best friend for tunes like these.
Even Sirius XM does not dig deep enough on deep tracks.
But much better than one will find on broadcast.

Reminds me of so many late nights..
so many great scenes , many miles back!

grinFrom an "altered" song we sang,"The flash of the Redleg and the roar of the Gatlings made the cherries shake with fright,we cut loose with our 60's and then with the 16's and we proved our schit wuz tight" From "The Gook Named Charlie" done to the tune of the guy who was lost on the MTA grin Did he ever return,no he never returned and his fate is still unlearned, he will hump forever in his silent terror, he's the gook who never returned! grin

Love it ET!

Going to get those 2 together in October....wish you could be here pard.
Thread's still up.
Had to click and listen again. Good old song, I hadn't heard it in years, too.

Same here.
Another Dio fan here.... that song especially!
Thanks! smile

The wife don't like it though, it's jamming right now anyway. laugh

I saw Dio but it was during his stint with Sabbath. Another band I had all their albums. Master of Reality being my favorite.

Let me guess.... you're also a fan of BOC, I bet. smile

I can still like the Heaven and Hell album with Dio. Totally different sound than with the Ozman.

If I had to choose, Vol. 4 would get my vote for favorite.

I saw the Black and Blue tour in Honolulu (Sabbath and BOC). That answer your question? wink
Posted By: n007 Re: WOW,finally found it!! - 06/21/12

Good times.

I have to know, the Canadian kicked their sorry asses right?
© 24hourcampfire