Home
OK, link 'em up and pay tribute to your faves of all time. To me a great solo has to have technique and soul. It needs to take the song somewhere and relate to it. Here are some of my top picks...

Simply the best in tone and technique...RIP Stevie.

Another by the imcomparable SRV...although is instrumental not solo, per se.

Just saw his Gdansk performance and he really burned this one up. Always liked Gilmour's lead tone and this solo is definitely one of my tops.

wheedlers suck.
My favorite all time Guitarists are Bob Bain and Django Reinhardt. They can't be beat in my humble opinion.
My list of favorite solos is longer than a bloated Stephen King novel, but here are the solos that I often reference in my own playing.

Brian.

Mike

Mike
Mason Williams "Classical Gas"......Doesn't get any better IMHO!
A toss up...

Mister Atkins played Don McClean's "Vincent". Yes, he did. Us finger-pickers learned a lot from that. He also did "Rondeaux" with the London Philharmonic behind him. I play them both, but not like that. Mister Atkins was Mister Atkins. There aren't any
more. Earl Klugh is close. Mason Williams' piece was awesome. Tommy Emmanuel is a force of nature.
Chester Atkins was the man.
Jimi Hendrix - Woodstock - The solo ballard after The Star Spangled Banner

Robin Trower - The Bridge of Sighs
I'm a straight out redneck country type,but this limey can come closer to competing with the electricfied guys than they can with him acoustically , I'm thinking :

http://youtu.be/AxKTzwaEa2o
An individual that influenced my guitar playing...

Right on Plinker!
I like "Bitchie Ritchie" in this vintage version too.

Dickey Betts on the original version of "Blue Sky". Well "written" and well done.
Originally Posted by EdM
Dickey Betts on the original version of "Blue Sky". Well "written" and well done.

Ya mean this one????

Far too many to pick one favorite but Skydog and Dickey trading leads at Fillmore East comes to mind.

...long but worth the listen

Tone....

Pretty much anything by Mark Knopfler.

Dickey and Duane are always tops, but this deserves some serious respect... Rory!!!!!

Marshall Tucker Band 24 Hours At A Time live with Charlie Daniels...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us7ufmvw2DY

The Outlaws Green Grass and High Tides live 1982...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nag0L231uL4

Doubt a bad geetarest has been listed, and I don't gots me no favorites particularly, but this here performance ain't to shabby.

Far to broad of a question to be correctly answered.

Another one from Rory..
No vid but my favorite guitarist of all-time is Steve Howe of YES. Too many favorite solos to list. His best work was from 1971-77. Just an incredible player.

SRV is easily my favorite blues player. Incredible energy in his playing.
The greatest. Andres Segovia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCeebWgjrrU

L.W.
I've been studying this song recently, and the two solos by Steve Gaines are absolutley brilliant.

Brian.
Anything by Chet Atkins.
I don't play any musical instruments, so I tend to just remember the name of the group and the song I like.

My favorite was Lynyrd Skynrd's "Freebird" guitar frenzy at the end of the song.
Hey Bandit, if you haven't before, put your headphones on and listen to these two.

One of my all time favorite guitar riffs from Richards, nothing super special, just done real well.

Gotta be hunnerds of good guitar tunes, if not tens of thousands.
So many good ones its kinda hard to pick a favorite, heres a very good one.

And another.

Last one.

Zappa " Watermelon in Easter Hay", Knopfler "Telegraph Road", Satriani , Richards, Vai.......
Roger, thanks for Europa - my favorite.
I'm country so this should be no surprise> Dwayne Eddy and Chet Atkins. I know, it's "OLD SCHOOL", too!
Another one, simple and clean...

Someone threw out some Jeff Beck earlier, here's one of my favorites..

http://youtu.be/iSR9-43-z9o

Pink Floyd
..always thought Felder was underrated...Walsh is Walsh.

Mato Nanji...

Originally Posted by dingo

Thanks for that one.

It's still Tight Trite Night.

Originally Posted by noharleyyet
..always thought Felder was underrated...Walsh is Walsh.

Felder is a great player.
I've been studying this song recently, and the two solos by Steve Gaines are absolutley brilliant.

Agreed. Real shame Gaines didn't have more time to make an impact with the group.

I'm also quite partial to Jeff Baxter on "My Old School", though I've never been a huge Steely Dan fan.
It does not get better than this, Hendrix and "All Along The Watchtower" is close, you almost have to be stoned and listening to a set of Koss Pro 4A headphones at full volume...

Originally Posted by shrapnel
and listening to a set of Koss Pro 4A headphones at full volume...

cool
I have two pair purchased back in the 1960's in perfect condition. I've never been able to find any headphones that came close. They're like Klipschorns that fit on your head.

Duane Eddy --- Lonely Guitar.
CCR, Bad Moon Rising. smile

Gunner
Since all of my real favorites have been mentioned already, here is a second tier favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aIhh9nFYv4
Originally Posted by 700LH
Hey Bandit, if you haven't before, put your headphones on and listen to these two.

One of my all time favorite guitar riffs from Richards, nothing super special, just done real well.

Gotta be hunnerds of good guitar tunes, if not tens of thousands.

I've been forced to listen to Green Grass and High Tides, because my soon to be former bass player was convinced that we had to cover that tune. We didn't.

Oddly enough, I was thinking of mentioning Mick Taylor's brilliant solo on Can't You Hear Me Knockin. One of the best he has ever laid down, and he's laid down more than his fair share of superb solos over the years.

Brian.
Originally Posted by fburgtx

Agreed. Real shame Gaines didn't have more time to make an impact with the group.

I'm also quite partial to Jeff Baxter on "My Old School", though I've never been a huge Steely Dan fan.

Gaines was all that and a bag of chips. When you stand out when sharing the stage with Allen Collins and Gary Rosington, that's really saying something.

And you're really missing out on some breath taking guitar work if you aren't digging into Steely Dan's catalog. Denny Dias goin ham on those early records, Larry Carlton bringing the lightning on "Royal Scam" and "Aja".

Brian.
Thanks for the correction Brian. Sadly the Stones have not been the same since his departure.
Originally Posted by 700LH
Thanks for the correction Brian. Sadly the Stones have not been the same since his departure.

The Mick Taylor era of the Stones is their brightest moment. They've been limping along ever since he quit. Then again, they're in better financial shape than Taylor is so take that FWIW.

Brian.

werd.

BeBop Deluxe "No Trains to Heaven" One of my favorites. Not many have heard of this band from the 70's. Bill Nelson is the guitarist/lead singer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fqrl6tQ850&feature=related
Originally Posted by tdbob
BeBop Deluxe "No Trains to Heaven" One of my favorites. Not many have heard of this band from the 70's. Bill Nelson is the guitarist/lead singer.

I was fishing for striped bass from shore one night in the mid 70's and a beachfront mansion had a large party going on at the time with a live band.
BeBop Deluxe was the band. Surprised anyone else remembered them.
Jeeze, I can't believe this one totally skipped my mind. One of my all time favorites.

Brian.
MojoHand;
Thank you for the thread and the fine listening it's provided on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Thanks to those who've contributed here as well.

I'd honestly never heard of this chap until someone else posted a video of him here at the 'Fire.

Anyway, before I managed to rearrange the fingers on my left hand in a table saw 9 years ago I used to play a little bit. I've got to say though that I'd never seen or heard anything like Danny Gatton could do then or since. May he RIP.

Thanks again for the thread and all the best in the upcoming week.

Regards,
Dwayne
Many good ones, but I keep thinking of this one:

Originally Posted by BC30cal
MojoHand;
Thank you for the thread and the fine listening it's provided on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Thanks to those who've contributed here as well.

I'd honestly never heard of this chap until someone else posted a video of him here at the 'Fire.

Anyway, before I managed to rearrange the fingers on my left hand in a table saw 9 years ago I used to play a little bit. I've got to say though that I'd never seen or heard anything like Danny Gatton could do then or since. May he RIP.

Thanks again for the thread and all the best in the upcoming week.

Regards,
Dwayne

His "88 Elmira st." disc is worth having in your collection.
Not the biggest or baddest, but my favorite....

Dangit it miss Gary Moore..be sure to catch 3:45 til the end

...ok, one more.

Another one that is no longer with us..
The late Tery Kath of Chicago, 25 or 6 to 4. So much of his early work too as well as an amazing blues voice.
[video:youtube]]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyFyge_kBdA[/video]
Originally Posted by smarquez
The late Tery Kath of Chicago, 25 or 6 to 4. So much of his early work too as well as an amazing blues voice.

Love this version of Make Me Smile

Zappa could really put on a show. I was fortunate to see him in NYC halloween '77.
Pink floyd comfortably numb...Neil Young powderfinger

Brian.

Brian.

Brian.
I guess it's not a solo per se, but I really enjoy hearing David Gilmour play Shine On You Crazy Diamond.
Gilmour has to be mentioned in any discussion of ultimate frontmen.
I'm just happy no one has mentioned Keith Richards...IMO, one of the worst.
Funky Mama ,Danny Gatton
It is pretty hard to beat these two

http://youtu.be/ByGsHTlKmWk
© 24hourcampfire