Darn. I wonder what happened.
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Sally Ride... - 07/23/12
Originally Posted by eyeball
Darn. I wonder what happened.

Pancreatic cancer.
Posted By: ColdBore Re: Sally Ride... - 07/23/12
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick
Pancreatic cancer.

That's not an easy one (as if any cancer is easy, but that's one of the tougher ones to have).
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Sally Ride... - 07/23/12
Very sad.

I remember her pioneering mission.
Posted By: RDW Re: Sally Ride... - 07/23/12
FOX just reported dipshit said "she had so many young girls reaching for the stars"...

...now who was it that killed the space program?
Posted By: shreck Re: Sally Ride... - 07/23/12
Originally Posted by RDW
FOX just reported dipshit said "she had so many young girls reaching for the stars"...

Did you know that if you respond to someones post with the quote function and it has a [bleep] in it you can read what they originally typed. No [bleep].
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Sally Ride... - 07/23/12
ALL SYSTEMS GO
CLEARED FOR FINAL LAUNCH
GODSPEED SALLY RIDE

Here's the full statement from Sally Ride Science, the San Diego company she developed to provide classroom materials, programs and professional help for K-12 teachers:

Sally Ride Science:
Sally Ride died peacefully July 23, 2012 after a courageous 17-month battle with
pancreatic cancer. Sally lived her life to the fullest, with boundless energy, curiosity, intelligence, passion, commitment, and love. Her integrity was absolute; her spirit was immeasurable; her approach to life was fearless.

Sally was a physicist, the first American woman to fly in space, a science writer, and the President and CEO of Sally Ride Science. She had the rare ability to understand the essence of things and to inspire those around her to join her pursuits.

Sally's historic flight into space captured the nation's imagination and made her a household name. She became a symbol of the ability of women to break barriers and a hero to generations of adventurous young girls. After retiring from NASA, Sally used her high profile to champion a cause she believed in passionately�inspiring young people, especially girls, to stick with their interest in science, to become scientifically literate, and to consider pursuing careers in science and engineering.

In addition to Tam O'Shaughnessy, her partner of 27 years, Sally is survived by her mother, Joyce; her sister, Bear; her niece, Caitlin, and nephew, Whitney; her staff of 40 at Sally Ride Science; and many friends and colleagues around the country
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Sally Ride... - 07/23/12
Originally Posted by RDW

That'd be teacher Christa Mcauliffe.
Posted By: RDW Re: Sally Ride... - 07/24/12
Nope, they were talking about Sally Ride and noted she was a Physics professor.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Sally Ride... - 07/24/12
Hell of a way to go. At least she got to touch the stars.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Sally Ride... - 07/24/12
RIP...
Found this intresting as I know she had been married
Ride died on July 23, 2012, after a 17-month battle with pancreatic cancer. Ride was described as "very private". Her same-sex relationship with her partner of 27 years, Tam O'Shaughnessy, was revealed in Ride's obituary released by Sally Ride Science and confirmed by Ride's sister, as well as a Sally Ride Science spokesperson.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Sally Ride... - 07/24/12
Originally Posted by RDW
Nope, they were talking about Sally Ride and noted she was a Physics professor.

I thought you asked "who was it(the woman astronaut) that was killed in the space program. My mistake. blush
Posted By: Pugs Re: Sally Ride... - 07/24/12
She was on the board of trustees for the company I work for and I got to brief her and the rest of the board on some work once. Attentive, respectful (even though her qualifications far outweighed mine) and she asked good questions. What a shame to lose a role model like her that young.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Sally Ride... - 07/24/12
wow, sorry to hear of her fate

but I had no idea she was a carpet muncher

eek
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: Sally Ride... - 07/24/12
She apparently wasn't always. She was married to astronaut Steve Hawely for 5 years.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Sally Ride... - 07/24/12
I knew and worked with her before and after her flight. Like every astronaut I ever met, she was brilliant, incredibly capable - and humble. The world isn't quite as sunny with her light diminished.
© 24hourcampfire