Home
Posted By: Hubert your final resting place - 08/02/12
How many people here has their graves picked out and the head stone set?
The reason I ask is my wife and I have the graves and now she want's to have a the stone set in place with our name on them
and all info less the date of death..
Posted By: g5m Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
My wife has all that planned.
Posted By: temmi Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
They are gonna burn me

Put my ashes in a nice urn

My kids will "regift" me to each other every Christmas eve.

When that get old

To the Gulf

Snake
Posted By: djs Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
I haven't done anything yet, only started thinking of it.
Posted By: benchman Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
Gonna be the cheapest thing I can find, probably Arlington. Heck, I'm done with the bod. If I have done it right, I will be remembered. If I have to tell somebody about it on a headstone, they were not interested enough in the first place. I see no reason to pay to die. My grandfather is the man I respected and loved more than anyone. I have never been to his grave. I don't need to go, either. He's not there.
told em they can cremate me and flush the ashes down the nearest tolet or drag the carcases out in the swamp for the possoms . Don,t want anyone wasting all the money on a standard funreal and grave.
Posted By: EdM Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
I will be powder somewhere on my property in north Idaho. Just haven't chosen the spot yet.
Posted By: ingwe Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
Me and Ingwedog are gonna have our ashes scattered together over our favorite hunting/fishing spot.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12

I always thought a Viking funeral would be nice.

I told my kids to have me cremated and then mix me up in a big batch of epoxy and put me on the bottom of the drift boat.

Brant
yep cremated here, and have told the boys to see if they can slip into a tampax factory and spread my ashes there!

actually am hoping they'll do a backpack trip to the Brooks Range and scatter me to the four winds, always wanted to leave more of my footprints on this marvelous country than I already have.

and I don't want an urn, I want my ashes in a coffee can, I've always like coffee and the cans are handy for storing nails and such.

never had an urn, never want one.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
Originally Posted by tjm10025

I always thought a Viking funeral would be nice.

I think I could go for something like that, too. wink
I am going to be buried in one of them.... nice mass graves the goverment is preparing out west. grin
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
I am to be cremated and my ashes are to be spread over Dinas Bran mountain in North Wales, UK.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
I've got an elk wallow picked out for my ashes in the West Elk Wilderness. The USFS says you can't do that but they'll never know.
Posted By: AlaskaFE Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
I already have a good idea of where I want my ashes spread but during this hunting trip I will travel with the GPS and mark the exact spot I would like it done. Maybe somewhere on the Denali Highway. There are several beautiful spots up there and as of right now I have from one year to a good five years to pick one out. Gotta get busy.

This one is pretty good.

[Linked Image]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey03V6r3pIw
Posted By: Winnie Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
In service?

A nice military grave.

After?

Could not care, what ever they do with me.
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
In service?

A nice military grave.

After?

Could not care, what ever they do with me.

Hopefully it's not hidden by jungle or a sand pile Laddy!
Posted By: krp Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
My headstone for a portion of my ashes... Apache lake

[Linked Image]

A portion to be set free on the wind in my favorite elk hunting spot.

[Linked Image]

DO NOT! put me in some cemetery and throw dirt on my face... I can't stand crowds.

Kent
Posted By: T LEE Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
Told the family to cremate me and spread the ashes in the pasture with the rest of the bullcrap! smile
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
Got a beautiful spot with a hell of a view on a peak in the Blue Ridge mountains. Just gonna crawl up there and die. Ain't nobody gonna know.
Posted By: Roundup Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
Cremation:

Ashes to be spread on:

Favorite elk camping/hunting spot

Floor of favorite saloon

Roundup grounds
Posted By: slumlord Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
Cremated and mixed in whith a mixture of salt and dicalcium phosphate.

Then deposited into one of our Trophy Rock pits on the farm.

Take that you [bleep] noctural whitetails. grin
Posted By: kelbro Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
Originally Posted by krp

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DO NOT! put me in some cemetery and throw dirt on my face... I can't stand crowds.

Kent

Make sure the lid is screwed on tight going up that roughass Apache Trail smile
Posted By: RS308MX Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
I am to be cremated and my ashes are to be spread over Dinas Bran mountain in North Wales, UK.

I take it you're not afraid to fly then. grin
Cremated. Already took care of things at the Vet cemetery, some to my favorite honey hole, some to our place in OR.
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
cremated and then sent to sea.
Via the nearest comode.
Might have to flush twice.

Think about it, dumping in a river or lake is the same thing, just slower.
Posted By: fish head Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
No grave for me. I want my ashes thrown into the Trinity River and carried out to the Pacific Ocean.

I'll be fish food. grin

Seems fitting to be recycled. I eaten enough of them in my lifetime so someday it will be my turn to give something back.
Posted By: Tuco Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
I wish to be torn apart by wild dogs while my friends sit around and drink beer.
Posted By: tdd4570 Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
My wife and I have talked about this. We are both to be cremated and the first will wait for the second. We wish for our ashes to be joined and half spread in the mountains and half to be spread on the beach.
Posted By: rost495 Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
Originally Posted by AlaskaFE
I already have a good idea of where I want my ashes spread but during this hunting trip I will travel with the GPS and mark the exact spot I would like it done. Maybe somewhere on the Denali Highway. There are several beautiful spots up there and as of right now I have from one year to a good five years to pick one out. Gotta get busy.

This one is pretty good.

[Linked Image]

Finding the perfect spot in AK for ashes will take more than 5 years. IE don't give up the ghost yet!!!!

As for us, we have burial spots at the cemetery already. Keep talking cremation to be able to be left here and there. Just cna't quite get used to that idea, but guess since i'm now a firefighter, it wouldn't be quite so bad as long as I'm dead first before getting burned....

I love the idea of mixing both ashes...

Ingwe-- hope you aren't one that has the dog put down whne you die if the dog outlives you... I have seriuos issues in my head with that type of folks... but I dont' recall, ingwedog may have preceeded you already... I know we've lost a lot of good ones at home too already.

Alwyas told the nephew to cremate me and put me in a wad and me be the first shot of every duck season. Never thought of the tampax factory though. Grins....
Posted By: M1894 Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
Wife and I actually need to reserve a spot where at least 4 generations of my family rest. She likes the place , 3 sides of corn fields over looking one of the finger lakes. Like my Dad , and his buddy from grade school , half my ashes just get spread on a hill side about 5 miles out from camp. If she can't walk it then gps for a small plane to hit the right section of that 3 peaked mtn ( speed bump for you out west ) .
she has trouble with my idea that if my brain really starts shorting out , to set me under a tree and kiss me goodbye . I have a sticky compass that a sharpie would wright on " Walk East. 50 ish miles in that direction and just end up where I end .
I told my wife to creamate me and spread my ashes in my elk hunting country.
She told me she isn't hikig all the way in there and will probably just throw my ashes in the garden as I'd make good fertilizer.
Can't see why any one wants a tombstone so others can see it.
Folks are going to remember a fellow for what he did when he was alive, not for how nice a tombstone he had done.
Posted By: Ward Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
Already have the plots at the local cemetery where I'll be the fourth generation planted. Cremation means the wife and I go in the same plot.
Posted By: Scott F Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
Wife and both want cremation. I don't care what they do with mine, maybe fertilize the tomatoes. Probably spread my wife's ashed in the creek about a mile from the bay.
i couldn't care less. i'll be dead anyway.
Originally Posted by kelbro
Originally Posted by krp

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kent

Make sure the lid is screwed on tight going up that roughass Apache Trail smile

Apache trail is where we learned of our daughter's motion sickness as a baby... puke bags were a must after that... I've rattletrapped a few trucks and boats on that F'n road.

Kent
Posted By: pal Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
The poignant scene by the grave in "Out of Africa" comes immediately to mind.

But, being a combat veteran, I'd prefer to let them bury me in such good company as other veterans.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
Originally Posted by Tuco
I wish to be torn apart by wild dogs while my friends sit around and drink beer.

They must not be varmint hunters, then.

We have sort of a family cemetery on land homesteaded by my great grandfather. He sold a couple acres to the county for the cemetery in 1907. Many of my relatives are there. My 1st wife is there with my name on the stone without a date. So far, all in the family have been cremated to allow as many as possible to be buried there.

I can tell you this from experience...this is one of the things to do in advance of a death if possible. It will save a huge headache when the time comes.
Some of my son's ashes are in Disneyland, his and my daughter's favorite place, where they made a yearly pilgrimage every year even as adults. His remaining ashes will be mixed with mine and my wife's. My daughter can spread us together or decide to wait till she is gone and add some of her's with ours... It'd be up to our GD then, who is 3 months old now...lol

My daughter and SIL love elk and fish camp, I'm sure the GD will follow suit and understand.

Could take years to come to finality.

Kent
Headstone wise I'll have one put up, it can help greatly in geneology for those further down the lines after we are gone.... other than that it doesn't mean much.
Originally Posted by Tuco

Dang, your friends are as good for nothing as mine.
if in the line of duty:

i will be carried by six of my closest friends with them damned pipes in the backgrounds playing amazing grace. my favorite dispatcher will tone out every radio for the entire county and call my unit number 3 times and then tone the radio again and put me 10-42 ( end of tour of duty ). i will be cremated and my my ashes will be spread over my beloved farm.

not on duty:

burn my ass and spread me over the farm
Buried standing up facing north waiting for the trump of God!
My dad's dying wish was to have his ashes spread on the hill up at our deer camp. Mom just couldn't bring herself to do that. This will be my request to my wife.
Posted By: pira114 Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
Told the ol'lady to not claim my body. Eventually, the county will cremate me. Not sure what they do with the ashes. Couldn't care less.

She was good with that till she realized I'd do the same thing to her. Nmow she's not so good with it.
final resting place: told everyone to get rid of me cheapest way possible, no grave site. IMO graves are for the living to shed guilt and regrets. Be right when the person is alive and you'll have no need to visit graves.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
If you ain't gonna spend the money on me when I'm alive, don't spend it on me when I'm dead.

They can stick a ham bone up my ass and through me to the dogs for all I care. Of course I have donated every part of me so they can cut away as they see fit. Hopefully I'll be past the point of having any useful parts left, sans my crank.
Posted By: slumlord Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Buried standing up facing north waiting for the trump of God!
hmmm, Jesus is supposed to return from the east down in these here parts.

but ok

We have a small local airport 5 miles West, my ashes will be carried aloft and scattered over my acreage and orchard.I will always be home...
Posted By: dogzapper Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12

Here it is. It has both of our names on the marble crypt, with "born" years and the "death" years left blank. Each of our inscriptions has a big whopping Crucifix by our names.

Once in a while, Karen and I grab a Big Mike's Burger and a few beers and sit on the couch that is in front of our crypt. We laugh and have fun and relish being alive.

We also pray the Rosary and the Our Father while there.

[Linked Image]

God Bless All,

Steve

Originally Posted by krp

Could take years to come to finality.

Kent

Not the sort of thing to rush into.
A lifelong friend of mine who passed after a prolonged illness planned well.

She was cremated, but specifically requested that no service be held for six months.

After that amount of time the shock had receded, and the gathering at a beautiful spot outdoors was more a celebration of her life.

The ashes were given out to family and close friends with the stipulation they be scattered in beautiful places. My myself have scattered some in Costa Rica, West Virginia, Upstate New York and New Mexico. Saving some for England.

For myself, I dont really care. Take whats useful, burn the rest. Pick up the litter, leave only footprints, and leave a stack of cordwood at the campsite for the next camper.

Birdwatcher
Me and Ingwedog are gonna have our ashes scattered together over our favorite hunting/fishing spot.

My favorite aunt up in Vermont did that, after her husband died after a lifelong marriage she got a newfie/lab mix puppy. A great companion, keeping her from being alone in the house (tho' visits by children and grandchildren were frequent).

When the dog eventually died at around age twelve she had it cremated, and her ashes were scattered together with the dog's when she died.

Birdwatcher
Posted By: mudhen Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
I have asked my wife and kids to have me cremated and spread my ashes over the marsh south of Double Bayou in Chambers County,
TX. I would like to give a little back to the marsh that gave me so much as a child and a young man.

My brother has it all planned out. He will take them in his airboat to the head of Lone Oak Bayou, turn it around, and pitch my ashes into the prop wash. Sounds good to me...
Posted By: brinky72 Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
LMFAO! I plan to be cremated and dusted over "Gitche Gumee." I don't want anyone wasting their time looking for me. If you want to find me you'll have to venture out on the big shining, cold, unforgiving waters of Lake Superior.
Posted By: brinky72 Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
Some folks find that creepy but I think it's a great idea. At least you have some say in it and are taking some of the burden away for those left behind. Maybe in a few years we'll do some more planning but at 40 I think and hope I'm good for a little while.
Posted By: RickyD Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
I have never been to his grave. I don't need to go, either. He's not there.
This.

They can take my carcass to the woods to feed the bears for all I care.
For many years I figured I'd have my ashes scattered on the waters of my favorite salmon & steelhead streams or on my favorite deer hunting mountain.

As my family matured I realized that it might be important for them to sit at my side and reflect on our lives together.
That'd be tough to do with my remains flushed a hundred miles downsream or on a gnarly mountain.

When I'm gone I'll only survive through their memories and if they wish for me to be burried in a place where they can come visit I'm OK with that.

I'm OK with anything that gives them peace with my death.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: your final resting place - 08/02/12
Well I have two family graves, one is on long Island, NY, My fathers side and the other here in CT were my Mother is buried. I could rest next to her if I so choose. I am not going to, unless I marry, I am 57, I will be cremated and my ashes buried unmarked were I enjoy myself the most, my favorite deer stand. One empty cartridge case from my favorite rifle to keep me company. I think I have at least another 30 seasons before that would occur!
Originally Posted by mudhen
I have asked my wife and kids to have me cremated and spread my ashes over the marsh south of Double Bayou in Chambers County,
TX. I would like to give a little back to the marsh that gave me so much as a child and a young man.

My brother has it all planned out. He will take them in his airboat to the head of Lone Oak Bayou, turn it around, and pitch my ashes into the prop wash. Sounds good to me...

Thats way more common than folks think. I see photos of that being done with ashes all the time in our airboating magazine.

The thought has passed my mind that will be one of the ways to scatter a bit of me once cremated.

Prop wash will definitely scatter me good.
[Linked Image]

In my youth, we used to swim here, and hunt deer near it.
Later on, we spread both Mom and Dad's ashes here. And when the time comes, my ashes will be, also.
It's a beautiful place on Lake Michigan in Door County, Wisconsin.

Cave Point
I want my ashes to be spread at my elk stand. My favorite place on earth. God lives in the high country. Bob
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: your final resting place - 08/03/12
Wifey, daughter and son have strict instructions to cremate me and spread my ashes around my favorite hunting places. Son has even stricter instructions to save a tad and reload me into my favorite deer or elk rifle and take me hunting one more time. Told him not to shoot a little ol doe or cow elk...want it to be a nice one, and if he misses...I'm coming back and haunt his butt.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: your final resting place - 08/03/12
None of the burial stuff for me, I don't want to be a test dummy for Hornady Z-Max in a 100 years.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
None of the burial stuff for me, I don't want to be a test dummy for Hornady Z-Max in a 100 years.

TFF
After reading the entire thread, I notice most folks opt for cremation. Just curious,,,why is that?? Myself,,I am undecided..
Posted By: hotsoup Re: your final resting place - 08/03/12
wife and i have donated our bodies to medical research/study. no cost. ashes returned to surviving family after 1 year.
Posted By: bubbajay Re: your final resting place - 08/03/12
I am thinking cremation, with letting a medical research place figure out why I lived as long as I did. (if I make it long enought)

After that, I really hope my kids dont want to hang onto the ashes. It isnt me, just the leftovers. Maybe I can have them put me in the bathroom for a half hour with a cup of coffee and then hit the flusher handle.

edited to add i am not all that old yet
There's a little country cemetery on the back side of the hill behind my uncles farm. My grandmother was born on a homestead on top of that hill and lived there all her life. My parents lived just down the road from it when I was born. There are four generations of my family buried there already. My parents will be the fifth and my brothers and I will be the sixth. I've done alot of hunting on the hill above that old cemetery and have many fond memories of it. It's as fine and fitting a spot for my final resting place as any.
Thinking about it.

Cremation with internment in the nearest dumpster.

The wife doesn't approve of that idea. grin
Posted By: bea175 Re: your final resting place - 08/03/12
Don't know and really don't care, but I would like to be cremated and the ashes mixed in some accu-glass and used to bed one of my rifles.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: your final resting place - 08/03/12
Originally Posted by Batchief909
After reading the entire thread, I notice most folks opt for cremation. Just curious,,,why is that?? Myself,,I am undecided..

Quick and cheap. Likely the cheapest way to go. Hell, they gave me my father in a plastic bag that was inside a small box. He would have kicked my ass if I spent a penny more than was absolutely necessary.

Spend the money on the living.
I bought an 8 plot section in the family Church cemetery many years ago.
My family has been planted here, in SW Virginia, since the Church was founded in the early 1800's
[Linked Image]
Personally, I don't want to leave my family with any more expenses than necessary. Last I checked, a cremation here was $1300. You can't buy a casket for anywhere near that. It also makes setting up a funeral much easier. You don't need pall bearers, hearse, backhoe for graving digging, or even a cemetery plot if you plan to scatter the ashes or keep them on the living room mantle. The crematorium will hand you a box about 4" square to do with whatever you like. When my wife died, my nephew, who's a potter, made an urn. The crematorium put the ashes in the urn and I walked out the door. After the funeral, we buried the urn in the family plot where they allow up to 4 urns/plot to save space & money.

Cremation just makes everything cheaper and easier.

Many people have bad feelings about cremation for religious reasons but I certainly don't. The Bible always talks about burial but that was the custom in those days and in that culture. It certainly doesn't prohibit cremation and the body will rot away anyway no matter how it's disposed of.

I know a lot of guys will say they don't want a funeral. However, a funeral is for the living, not the dead. It's been proven that a funeral will greatly help the family get closure after a death. The manner of funeral really doesn't matter, it's just the idea of coming to grips with the fact that the deceased is really gone.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: your final resting place - 08/03/12
I want cremation as it is less expensive for the family, and I hate the idea of me rotting and turning in to a blob of jello six feet under the ground. Embalming nowadays is nothing more than a temporary thing to keep you fresh up till the funeral...after that, you are decomposing inside a metal and concrete structure...I dunno, it just does not sound appealing to me...I'd rather be fertilizing something with my ashes and going hunting in my Jarrett 280 AI one more time with my son. To each his own...
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: your final resting place - 08/03/12
scatter me in my favorite fishing spot in "my" lake in canada
Posted By: Ravenr2 Re: your final resting place - 08/03/12
Cremated and scattered to the 4 winds
I'll find my own way back to my favorite places
or find new ones.
When you cremate me thou,
leave my wedding ring on my hand and
a pocketknife in my pocket.
Posted By: bluefish Re: your final resting place - 08/03/12
My wife and I wish to be cremated and, upon the death of the survivor, have our ashes commingled. Then a portion to be scattered at the oceanside place where I proposed marriage, a portion to be scattered at our camp and the rest interred in the cemetery.
Strapped on to of a 55gal. barrel of black powder somewhere in the Kallahari desert. All my friends get a shot with tracer rounds the one that hits it gets first choice of guns and saddles.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: your final resting place - 08/03/12

Don't see much point in leaving my carcass to rot in the ground for hundred years, only to have it dug up again for public housing in the 22nd Century.

Posted By: EdM Re: your final resting place - 08/03/12
Thinking a bit more, likely smack dab in the middle of the clearing behind the house.

[Linked Image]

Or if my wife decides, maybe near here. Last shovel for that bastid...

[Linked Image]
Just cremate me and toss my ashes in a prairie dog burrow, or toss them out on a Missouri hilltop above where the deer tromp around. I don't care.........
Posted By: bucktales Re: your final resting place - 08/03/12
Left instructions for a couple of lifelong friends to dump my ashes in my favorite Striped Bass spot. No sense getting buried, who's gonna visit me anyways.
Thanks for the replies, fellas. Something I just never gave serious thought to,,but should.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: your final resting place - 08/03/12
Dress me up in a pair of Liberty overalls then fling my flailing, lifeless carcass down stream into the Kentucky River with a giant economy sized trebuchet (constructed own site) at Boonesboro while Led Zepplin's Kashmir is blastin' out own 11 on an old Pioneer 1010 stereo.

A boomer hillbilly,......goin' in style.
Posted By: krp Re: your final resting place - 08/03/12
I'd like to have my body recycled back to nature on some mountain top, but it's not allowed. Cremation is the next legal thing... don't bind me in a stinking hole, set me free.

Kent
Posted By: Bristoe Re: your final resting place - 08/03/12
My dirge,...broadcast at ear ringing volumn, as my body sails through the air,...arms and legs all asunder,..a cheer rises from the assemblage until my personal glob of carrion splashes in 75 yards downriver,...where a murmer of approval will erupt from the bong and vodka infested audience,...and one or more attendees will state,..

"Well,...there's the last of Bristoe.

That fugger was crazy,..".

,..which will elicit emphatic nods all around.
Posted By: Notropis Re: your final resting place - 08/03/12
I have my own cemetery at the farm and will be planted there. I suppose I should give the plot to the church next to it some day. It is presently occupied only by my mother and father, but there is lots of room for more friends, relatives, and neighbors. I could get out the post hole digger for you folks who want to be cremated.
Posted By: Mull Re: your final resting place - 08/03/12
I'd Like To Be Cremated. But In A Douce, And Run Through One More Time...
Cremate me, have a party,dump me by my deer blinds!!!! Clint
Posted By: MHCT48 Re: your final resting place - 08/04/12
The instructions for my final earthly trip....Cremation as quickly as possible....have a meet and eat get together for all family and friends....then have my sons scatter my ashes on the river bluff at a time convenient to them....
Posted By: Maarty Re: your final resting place - 08/04/12
I want to be cremated then have my ashes put as close as possible to the place I died.
The way I see it that's where I ended up so that's where I'm meant to be.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: your final resting place - 08/04/12
I want to be buried face down under the cool green grass,then all the world can kiss my ass.
Mark Twain once said that he decided to make his final arrangements in advance. He went to a preacher and said he wanted to be cremated. The preacher said 'That's already been arranged'.
Posted By: Otter Re: your final resting place - 08/04/12
We bought plots where a goodly number of our family are planted. In a little, old cemetary out in the middle of nowhere, on top of a hill. I have instructed in my will that I am to be cremated. What happens after that . . . I really don't care, but it would be cool to have some of me be right under a 535 gr lead slug in a 45-120 case and turned loose one more time . . .
Posted By: P_Weed Re: your final resting place - 08/04/12

I would like my ashes to be divided up and scattered upon the grounds of my enemies.

Unfortunately there is not enough of me to go around.
Posted By: uncle joe Re: your final resting place - 08/04/12
Originally Posted by Mull
I'd Like To Be Cremated. Put In A Douce, And Run Through One More Time...

Angie Harmon's would be a good one
© 24hourcampfire