Home
I brought this one in last night.

[Linked Image]
when you have as many as i do my wife never notices another added to the collection.
LOL
I like your new lamp!
Don't let her try and turn it on.

Me?
I tell her which ones to buy.
She fills out the paper work whilst I go shoot it!
No problem. She buys cameras. I buy guns. We both use both. IMHO a wife that has issues with a husband buying what keeps him happy has a larger issue in life. Assuming its not cutting into normal living expenses.
Not long after my wife and I got married, almost 30 years ago, we agreed that each of us would get a certain small percentage of our income to spend however we wanted. That took ALL the stress out of buying guns, or anything else either of us wanted.

I tend to spend all of mine on guns, reloading stuff and hunting. Eileen tends to save hers, though once in a while she uses a big chunk on guns or hunting trips too.

We frequent a certain local sporting goods store. When we first started going there 22 years ago the guys behind the counter would always look at Eileen when I grabbed one of the guns and said I'd take it, as if she might veto the deal. By now they've learned she doesn't care--unless, of course, it's a gun she might be interested in!
Separate finances.
Originally Posted by Cartod
I brought this one in last night.

[Linked Image]

I like your new reading lamp!

How do I get them past my wife. I just tell her that guns in a closet or safe are just like rabbits - put 2 in there and you'll get 4 and they'll eventually end up with 50 more.
Got rid of the wife.
wives tend to be creatures of habit. As in a nightly shower about 6:30p.m. Which means you leave the toy in the garage till you hear the shower go on, and you are home free.
One of the mistakes i made was getting my wife to take an active interest in getting a C.C.W. She then started knowing the differences.
Now, it's, "when did you get that."
It's not a problem here. My wife was raised on a large farm with 4 brothers, and she has always loved to shoot and hunt.
My wife TELLS me to buy guns.
Guns come & guns go , my wife is a keeper

Mike
mines put her foot down now after a 5th wheel and having to get a newer truck ,all our emergency funds evaporated ,time to rebuild,,and at my age 12 hour days are starting to suck.

norm
Seriously I hope you guys are kidding about getting one by her. Bright women notice almost everything. But maybe LOL
WHAT NEW GUNS??? I'VE HAD THAT ONE FOR YEARS....
havent really had an issue, so long as it doesnt impact bill paying, grocery or combined savings funds ive been free to do as i please.....hell she even buys guns on occasion....
My wife #3 doesn't say anything about them,encouraging the purchase
My wife and I have had an agreement in place for almost 20 years now.
I keep out of her Jewelry Safe, and she pays no attention to the guns. laugh
Originally Posted by rost495
No problem. She buys cameras. I buy guns. We both use both. IMHO a wife that has issues with a husband buying what keeps him happy has a larger issue in life. Assuming its not cutting into normal living expenses.

This sounds like my wife, except she's into horses...

I have the added bonus in that she is just as like likely to buy ME a gun as I am.

It all works out. grin

Ed
Originally Posted by atvalaska
WHAT NEW GUNS??? I'VE HAD THAT ONE FOR YEARS....

On the rare occasion that I bring a new one home I use the same tactic. I ain't proud of being deceptive, but I'm a sick, sick man and more guns are the only treatment.
Just divorce her.

Travis
No problem getting new guns into our house. My very understanding wife knows how important hunting and shooting are to me. I tell her when I am planning to buy a new one and she encourages me to buy it. She does the same with things that are important to her. We discuss the larger purchases and agree that we each have our own interests. Seems to work well for us.
My wife and I have been married for over 40 years. I have never had to sneak anything into the house and neither has she. I support her in her golf addiction, she supports me in my gun addiction. Also, she is a hunter and shooter, so if I come home dragging a new-to-me gun, she always wants to see what it is and when can WE go shoot it. grin

Cant imagine being in a relationship where the partners have to be deceptive about their purchases. Or anything else, for that matter.
Give it to a trusted friend. Have him bring it over and thank you for letting him borrow it for a while.

One of my favorites as told to me by an older gunshop owner. Years ago a preacher bought a used shotgun from him, and was worried about how his wife would react to the new gun. The next time the shop owner saw the preacher he asked how it went when he got home with the shotgun.

The preacher said that while he considered sneaking it in he decided he could not do that so he just walked right in the door and past his wife toward the safe. His wife looked at the gun and asked, "kill any birds today". He simply replied "no", and put the gun in the safe.
Originally Posted by JMR40
Give it to a trusted friend. Have him bring it over and thank you for letting him borrow it for a while.

One of my favorites as told to me by an older gunshop owner. Years ago a preacher bought a used shotgun from him, and was worried about how his wife would react to the new gun. The next time the shop owner saw the preacher he asked how it went when he got home with the shotgun.

The preacher said that while he considered sneaking it in he decided he could not do that so he just walked right in the door and past his wife toward the safe. His wife looked at the gun and asked, "kill any birds today". He simply replied "no", and put the gun in the safe.
laugh he didntn even have to lie!
Car..,

My wife DID ask once why I had so many guns. I asked her if she'd ever seen a guy play golf with just one club. She got it.

O
I must be weird. I actually tell her I'm interested in a gun, we work the budget, and I buy it. It cuts down on impulse buys, which isn't a bad thing in my experience. When she wants something, she does the same with me.
When I set up at gun shows I told prospective buyers, especially the young ones, that the absolute worst mistake they could make was to have a gun cabinet or gun rack. Even the dimmest wife can look at a cabinet/rack and count the empty places. By standing the guns in corners and constantly moving them to empty corners throughout the house they could run in several new guns in the mix if they took their time doing it. Worked like a charm. smile
Originally Posted by rost495
So you use her camera as a gun? How's the penetration?
What i buy with what i earn is none of her business as long as family is taken care of and we are in a sound financial place. She doesnt question what i spend money on and i dont question what she does with the monthly stipend i give her
I've got one torn apart in the garage I'm refinishing now and a couple more that showed up leaning in the bedroom corner. I don't know if she knows they're new or if she thinks they've been around a while. She knows quite a bit about guns and shoots and hunts. As long as she isn't asking questions, I'm not giving out information. She did have a new camera show up the other day that cost more than any of my guns, so that goes for a little mileage for me I think.
I can honestly say I do not have that problem.
D-I-V-O-R-C-E!!!!!!!!
Pat McManus's "Gunrunning" is a must read for you!
I've been married to the same woman for 12 years and can honestly say I do not have that problem. I buy and sell quite a few guns but I established from day one how I will not be questioned on my purchases. I don't run the bars, and provide both emotionally and financially for my family. I feel that I earned the money, it's mine to spend after my family is taken care of.
grinevery so often it ain't a bad idea to buy sumpthin' that makes yer Wifey all giggly and gushy either grin Bribery works!! wink
I leave it in the garage until the timing is right,then quickly put it away in the safe.Never saw me bring it in,so no questions asked.Used to only have one safe,now I have two.It's got to be a male addiction.Had a woman tell me once,"My husband is always buying guns.He says he needs to buy a gun for deer and he needs to buy a gun for hogs,he needs to buy a pistol for snakes,he needs to buy a gun to shoot doves and one for quail,I just don't understand why he needs all those guns."I gotta say,it cracked me up!!!Must be a guy thing.
Originally Posted by deflave
Just divorce her.

Travis

Or not get married in the first place so you don't get halved. grin
Originally Posted by Heeler
Originally Posted by deflave
Just divorce her.

Travis

Or not get married in the first place so you don't get halved. grin

I didn't want illegitimate children. It's a sin.

Travis
I tried sneaking them past her, never worked. I decided to be upfront about the purchase always worked better. I did say that I traded another gun for it. I got away with trading the same gun three times in a row.
Originally Posted by 6mm250

Mike

Same here
She has no idea what all I have and really doesn't care. She gets whatever she desires.
be the man of the house.
If a man goes to a gun show and buys a new gun and doesn't tell his wife......Did he really buy a new gun?? smirk
Originally Posted by Field_Hand
be the man of the house.

Ok, so your wife buys the guns then?
Originally Posted by Boococky
be the man of the house.

i know some of youboys have to ax permission for everything but i ain't one of em.
Originally Posted by jnyork
Cant imagine being in a relationship where the partners have to be deceptive about their purchases. Or anything else, for that matter.

That makes two of us Sir, Kath & I do not and never did that. It has worked out well for near 50 years so far.
I solved the problem by encouraging her to get her CCW Permit. Now I've created a monster as now she wants her own guns. Plus she's laid claim to some of my safe queens!!! cry wink
My last deal- I traded one of my rifles off to get her a new .38.
Not married so not a problem.

A friend of mine who has lots of expensive hobby related items told me "Don't let my wife sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it when I die".
She has her hobbies, I have mine.

I stay outta her way.

Tru dat

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by bea175
when you have as many as i do my wife never notices another added to the collection.

Bingo!

I would say the break point is 30-40.

After that their eyes just glaze over.

My wife could care less.

Slumlord,

where is the drink? Them pictures will become classics.
" Cant imagine being in a relationship where the partners have to be deceptive about their purchases. Or anything else, for that matter."

Neither can I. If I'm not buying one for me, she is buying one for me...or vice versa.
Originally Posted by MColeman
When I set up at gun shows I told prospective buyers, especially the young ones, that the absolute worst mistake they could make was to have a gun cabinet or gun rack. Even the dimmest wife can look at a cabinet/rack and count the empty places. By standing the guns in corners and constantly moving them to empty corners throughout the house they could run in several new guns in the mix if they took their time doing it. Worked like a charm. smile

Now that's the voice of experience!

I have a gun cabinet with one space empty, and a closet with 20+ leaning against three walls which I continually move items around in.

Also as far as new ones coming to the house, I ask the seller to ship FedEx or UPS if at all possible, I intercept the shipment to the local "hold at" spots and swing by and pick them up. This slows down on the knocking at the door with the long box fiasco.

Any time I go to a gun show I walk out of the house with an empty gun case and say, "gonna try and peddle this one", if I score at the show it goes in the case, if I don't, the empty case comes home.

Mike
Buy her a new box of blonde hair dye. As soon as The Blonde sets in, she can't tell a gun from a garden hose.
Originally Posted by fgold767
" Cant imagine being in a relationship where the partners have to be deceptive about their purchases. Or anything else, for that matter."

Neither can I. If I'm not buying one for me, she is buying one for me...or vice versa.

I not only can imagine it, I live it!
I forbid the wife from buying expensive wasteful items like jewelry and purses, both of which aren't worth 15 cents on the dollar before she makes it to the car.

Guns have intrinsic value, they are a commodity, which if you buy correctly can actually make you money. The reason I don't shove them in her face is because I don't expect her to understand my sickness, and she doesn't.

You can call it deceptive, I call it compassion.
My wife even picks out some of the guns I buy. She walks thru a gunshow fster than I do, so we get separated pretty quick. If I look up and see her standing still up ahead of me I know that when I get there I will find something nice (like a Sako M591 in 7mm-08 or a Ruger No.1B in .270 Wtby. Mag.or 12 ga. Browning BPS Upland Special). Last gun I bought though, was for her, a Springfield XDSC in 9mm.
Originally Posted by cmg
Slumlord,

where is the drink? Them pictures will become classics.
don't let slum fool you. he's taking a breather after moppin the floor, washing and ironing clothes and cooking dinner. laugh
Not that I've done this...

Take an empty gun case 'shooting'. Come home with a full gun case.
Originally Posted by morecowbell
Originally Posted by MColeman

Now that's the voice of experience!

I have a gun cabinet with one space empty, and a closet with 20+ leaning against three walls which I continually move items around in.

A safe she doesn't know the combination too would seem the obvious choice.
Or better yet, just tell her you bought a gun with YOUR money. If she doesn't like that I would make sure next time I came home with 2.
"How Do You get New Guns Past Your Wife?"

When I buy 1, I buy her 1 too. wink

Originally Posted by 6mm250

Mike

I must have married her sister grin
Why would you have to GET new guns past yur wife?
Wifey let me know several decades ago that a man can have far worse habits than guns and hunting. wink

Matter of fact she has bought me a couple rifles over the years, and just ask the other day when I was gonna let her buy me another one. smile

God sent me a good one.

Gunner
I got a good one too. She's either bought some for me over our forty years for Christmas, birthday, etc. or she's told me to buy one for myself for Christmas, birthday, etc.

I do the same for her with jewelry, shoes and lately a new mink so it evens out. Maybe?

Several years ago, she went with me to the CMP store at Anniston, Al. and I was looking over the Garands. I had a couple I was trying to chose between and she was getting frustrated with my indecision and finally she said, "Well he!!, just get 'em both!" .............So I did grin

Now, when she sees me on Gunbroker, she just asks "Find anything interesting?" My usual response is "Well there's this ______ (fill in the blank) that's going for a good price." USUALLY, she comes back with "Well if you want it go on and get it!"
She knows now that she'd better not say it if she doesn't mean it 'cause the next thing that is likely to happen is the "bid" button gets pushed. smile
I tell mine, or she asks my friends, what I'm lusting after, and she buys it. Christmas, B-day, Fathers' Day, Anniversary, I usually get the current "need". And when she wants another rock, ring, whatever, I make sure she gets it. But she does make more money than me so it's hard to keep up.

If I could clone her I wouldn't go to work tomorrow. And buying me stuff isn't the real reason she's a keeper.
Don't have to sneak them in My wife bought me a Lasermark for a wedding present
Over the years I have found that women generally count their husbands possesions with the 1 2 3...bunch method, so your best recourse is to keep more than three firearms at any given time.

Probably best if you up that to a round dozen or so, just in case she can count better than most.
Its not getting the guns past her, i wanna know how she's not gonna notice when i add a new gun safe in the basement cuz the other one is now full!
Originally Posted by bea175

This only works until you run out of space in your gun safe and she starts finding them stuck under the bed when she vacuums. frown
The safe is full, pretty much buy anything I want just have to sell one first. I add pistols and knives as I rat hole money. They're not hard to get in the house, and there's always room. Door panels are nice....... grin
I don't tell her. If it is a big purchase I draw it out over a couple of months. Then when my project is almost done, I buy her something nice. This has worked on projects of 3k and under.

I'm considering putting a 3.9L Cummins in a pickup. My daily driver is a 4dr, 4wd, 5.9 Cummins. The 3.9 would be a better daily/ grocery getter. As I tally up the budget for the swap I always get in to the 12-15K range. I need some ideas to get that past her. I can hide 2K and under, that 12-15K, I think she will notice something.....

Any ideas?
I just tell her. After the track days and rides on sport bikes. Bracket cars/RE dragster stuff before that, this stuff and the FJ Cruiser habit is baby crap.

I must say the optics end of it got a little close to the edge at times but I am attending Scopes Anonymous Meetings. I told her it was like jewelry for men, she then reminded me that I hadn't bought her any jewelry in a couple of years so I ordered her a Purple/Grape/Turquoise/Pink 40/30/20/10% McMillan for her 257 Roberts smile

27 Years of Marriage says don't try hiding it or she will return the favor.
Some Funny stuff here! I dont enjoy the outright freedoms some of you older guys have, but i need to employ trickerations less these days. With the collection I've been able to put together,considering wife, kid, mortgage, fishing habit..etc..I'd be a fool to complain.

My wife is really great about my interest in firearms and doesn't care if I buy a gun from time to time. She has even asked me why I didn't get something when I came home empty handed from a gun show. She just couldn't have a better attitude.
The double barrel makes a great lamp!

[Linked Image]

Not so much with the bolt action.

[Linked Image]
We have a don't ask don't tell policy. I keep my mouth shut at the site of new purses, shoes etc.. and she stays mum as I bring home strays.
Originally Posted by Boococky
be the man of the house.

i know some of youboys have to ax permission for everything but i ain't one of em.

So what you are saying is you're not married grin
A wise man once said "it's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission."
I use the front door. Then I usually ask her if she'd like to see my new gun. Bills paid and finances in order = her not caring what I buy.
walk in, smack her on the ass and say "look what i bought"

if she doesn't like it, she knows where her momma lives

a woman has no right to question a man's judgement
as long as I buy her guns also she doesn't care. we usually talk about purchases like that before we do em, to be sure its a gun we both want. we have our sweet hunting rifles plus a few extras for fun, don't really need anymore although I have been itching for a martini cadet for a while now
....fake raffle ticky stub.
I just remind her of the 20,000 dollar ring on her finger..... and all the other rings that cost three or 4 thousand. All my guns together!!!! might have cost 10,000 grin
Sounds like sum of yall need to get your balls out of your old ladies purse and have them sown back on.
Originally Posted by noharleyyet

Now that is chicken shiit if I do say so myself. Guess that is why you havenoharleyyet.
Originally Posted by catman925

Now that is chicken shiit if I do say so myself. Guess that is why you havenoharleyyet.

I haz chagrin at you disappoint. wink

What are you tryng to say duche bag? I guess I struck a nerve, you henpecked P.O.S.

do you have to get permission to take a shiit?
Originally Posted by LRW
I just remind her of the 20,000 dollar ring on her finger..... and all the other rings that cost three or 4 thousand. All my guns together!!!! might have cost 10,000 grin

you are doing it all backwards then!

What are you tryng to say duche bag? I guess I struck a nerve, you henpecked P.O.S.

..doubt you've ever struck anything cept a woman chit for brains.
I say I am going to look for a gun or I am going to upgrade so-and-so and she says OK.
I tell her what a FORTUNE I made on the last one I sold....... Lol.
About 10 years ago, I stumbled on a Marlin 30/30 that had my name on it and brought it home. While the guy was writing up the sale, I had all kinds of ideas thrown at me on how I was going to sneak it past KYHillChick. I was surprised and appalled.

Back then I was buying a new one about every 6 months, and did not have any problem. Later on, KYHillChick got the idea that firearms would make good birthday presents, so I let her do the buying.

After I got laid off, we both agreed the days of the new deer rifle had come to an end. Actually we had not purchased anything in a couple years leading up to it. KYHillChick had a hard time bringing up the subject-- thought I'd be mad. However, I was already dead-set against extending ourselves any further.

Now? I'm back to work, and we're getting ourselves dug out. I got a used ML a couple of weeks ago-- first firearm purchase since 2007. No arguments. No discord. It just made sense.

Bottom line: You either do this marriage thing as a partnership or it ain't gonna work. Hiding major purchases is a sure way to major discord.

Originally Posted by shaman
About 10 years ago, I stumbled on a Marlin 30/30 that had my name on it and brought it home. While the guy was writing up the sale, I had all kinds of ideas thrown at me on how I was going to sneak it past KYHillChick. I was surprised and appalled.

Back then I was buying a new one about every 6 months, and did not have any problem. Later on, KYHillChick got the idea that firearms would make good birthday presents, so I let her do the buying.

After I got laid off, we both agreed the days of the new deer rifle had come to an end. Actually we had not purchased anything in a couple years leading up to it. KYHillChick had a hard time bringing up the subject-- thought I'd be mad. However, I was already dead-set against extending ourselves any further.

Now? I'm back to work, and we're getting ourselves dug out. I got a used ML a couple of weeks ago-- first firearm purchase since 2007. No arguments. No discord. It just made sense.

Bottom line: You either do this marriage thing as a partnership or it ain't gonna work. Hiding major purchases is a sure way to major discord.

My wife and I have an arrangement. We keep separate accounts in separate banks in separate towns. We divide the bills and after some savings we are allowed to buy whatever we want with our discretionary money without any hard feelings. We don't keep secrets from one another. Each one runs the plan by the other first. Sometimes one will see a flaw in the plan that the other missed like a big bill that is coming soon that one of us forgot about like the daughter's huge textbook bill next semester. Generally though the answer is "OK".

© 24hourcampfire